Shrinking White Bear Lake has a city scratching its head

Aug 13, 2010 Read more: TwinCities.com 169
The parched state of the lake is an everyday topic in the city of White Bear Lake. Read more
First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Square Pants

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Aug 13, 2010
Infested with sponges I'll bet.
bajamama

Mexicali, Mexico

#3 Aug 13, 2010
I am so sad to read this. I had no idea our lakes were in trouble in Minesota. The fun I had as a child in the 40's an 50's at White Bear. I loved all the lakes around the Twin Cities.

I remember, when we came to California, the lakes would hardly be considered a pond in Minnesota. And many or most of our lakes in Southern California are man made.

Of course we have the ocean. Maybe that compensates for something.
Id-Ten-T

Champlin, MN

#4 Aug 13, 2010
In the last couple of years, didn't we hear about this lake being low and it somehow being related to "Man-made" Global warming?
All, The planet may be warming and the ice-caps may be melting but the science does not show that it is man-made. Jus' sayin'.
-ID-ten-T.
bajamama

Mexicali, Mexico

#5 Aug 14, 2010
Of course, I never meant that White Bear Lake was man made. I was talking about the Lakes in California that I know. Lake Cachuma is the main water supply for Santa Barbara now. It used to be a rich farming valley. We also have two other little lake and resevoirs nearby, but all manmade.

I have fond memories of white Bear Lake.
Sarah D

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Aug 14, 2010
bajamama wrote:
I am so sad to read this. I had no idea our lakes were in trouble in Minesota. The fun I had as a child in the 40's an 50's at White Bear. I loved all the lakes around the Twin Cities.
I remember, when we came to California, the lakes would hardly be considered a pond in Minnesota. And many or most of our lakes in Southern California are man made.
Of course we have the ocean. Maybe that compensates for something.
You misunderstand. White Bear Lake, that is the lake itself called White Bear Lake is in serious trouble. The other lakes near to White Bear Lake still maintain a reasonable level.

That is why the suburb of White Bear Lake is bewildered so much. The other lakes aren't shrinking like White Bear Lake is. In fact a lake right next to White Bear Lake looks just fine.

So obviously something specific is happening to cause such a drastic lowering of White Bear Lake, which is sad in and of itself. But the other lakes in the state are doing just fine (well as fine as could be expected after a really hot summer but they have experienced that before so THEY aren't a serious problem.

Since: Apr 08

Saint Croix Falls, WI

#7 Aug 14, 2010
How could it be considered natural if they have been pumping water into it for years, and reason its going lower is that they don't pump water into it? If it was a real natural lake, nature would do the replenishing.
Sarah D

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Aug 14, 2010
It was a simple fix wrote:
How could it be considered natural if they have been pumping water into it for years, and reason its going lower is that they don't pump water into it? If it was a real natural lake, nature would do the replenishing.
There's a difference between "man made" and maintenance.

Example: You put a pond on your property. Rain keeps the water level sufficient. Your pond would still be man made.

You buy some property that has a natural pond on it. The level of water that is in the pond is not to your liking. So you put a garden hose in the pond occasionally to get the water level up. The pond is still a natural pond. You're just keeping the water at a level YOU want.
truth

Albany, MN

#9 Aug 14, 2010
hmmmm, kinda warm and wet this summer...lakes are down, irratic torrential rains, the rich are getting richer and the economy is in the tank for the poor folks...sounds like the whole pro-life support of the republican party is bearing some fruit.
We might have to consider some of our policies that have been great for the instant gratification of some and seems to be pushing us towards catastrphy....maybe if we mowed more lawns and burned more petro, things will get better.
God Bless our troops
LiberalsSucks

AOL

#10 Aug 14, 2010
DUMP ALL THE SNOW YOU CAN ON THE LAKE, OR ON THE LAKESHORE AREAS IN THE WINTER, THEN WHEN IT THAWS.........
BRUTAL BRUNETTE DaRLa

Minneapolis, MN

#11 Aug 14, 2010
BORN AND RAISED OUT HERE~~IT CAME BACK ONCE~~LATE 80'S EARLY 90'S~~~VERY SAD~~~BEAUTIFUL LAKE~~BALD EAGLE SEEMS FINE(JUST A FEW MILES NORTH)BUT 3.6 BILLION GALLONS OF H2O?? THE MAJORITY OF MOST WHITE BEAR LAKE'S BUSINESSES REVENUE, SOLELY DEPENDS ON THAT LAKE FOR AN "ATTRACTION" FOR OUT OF TOWNERS AND LOCALS BOTH SUMMER AND WINTER~~~ALL THAT OLD MONEY ON THE SHORELINE???? EMPTY YOUR POCKETS~~~~~~
Face it

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Aug 14, 2010
Lets face it, White Bear Lake is done, so they might just as well start pumping the remaining water out and start filling it in so they can start building more low income apartments.
Gramps

Saint Paul, MN

#13 Aug 14, 2010
Has anyone had the thought to check the sewer systems for excess water? Sounds similar to the problems that were at Phalen Lake some years back.
Just a suggestion.
R Johnson

Minneapolis, MN

#14 Aug 14, 2010
Illegalize ALL lawn watering, and give that law serious teeth. The lakes are dropping because the water table is dropping, it's not rocket science.
Slim Pickens

Minneapolis, MN

#15 Aug 14, 2010
Let them eat cake.
Seat 24f

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Aug 14, 2010
Maybe change the name to "White Barely Lake?"
jackie

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Aug 14, 2010
# 1 over the top impurvious surface ristrictions ,# 2 stupid rain gardens every where you look , all have contributed to the fall of the lake. also with the natural springs around dellwood peninsula stopping because of the low water table. the lake has no natural in flow except a small run off stream in the n.e.corner that has stopped also. kohler mix spec. pumps 100-200 k gallons from the aquifer ever day for how many years and dumps it in goose lake to flow to rice creel watershed - brilliant -# 1 and 2 tree hugger solution to save the lake - priceless !!!
Chalice Alice

Camden, IN

#18 Aug 14, 2010
Please help me understand what is meant by returning the lake to "its natural level". If folks had been pumping ground water into it for years...how can you determine a "natural level". Check your wallet, folks...the "environmentalists" will be digging in.
Yungey

Oronoco, MN

#19 Aug 14, 2010
If the "Smart" elected officials decided to cease means to artificially keep the lake at normal levels, they should accept the fact that the lake should be allowed to dry up.
All together now

Saint Paul, MN

#20 Aug 14, 2010
Sarah D wrote:
<quoted text>
There's a difference between "man made" and maintenance.
Example: You put a pond on your property. Rain keeps the water level sufficient. Your pond would still be man made.
You buy some property that has a natural pond on it. The level of water that is in the pond is not to your liking. So you put a garden hose in the pond occasionally to get the water level up. The pond is still a natural pond. You're just keeping the water at a level YOU want.
Yes, but you crack me up with the garden hose example.
observer

United States

#21 Aug 14, 2010
150 years of development have changed the overall dynamics of the watershed.
any manipulation of such a valuable resource as water should be undertaken with the greatest of care and consideration for future generations. Of course if there is some money to be made that would be the way to go.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North St. Paul Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Homicide suspect is in familiar territory (Dec '08) Mar 19 Prudende Flannigan 29
Lipstick on the snowman Feb '15 Answer 1
News Maplewood Home Depot may switch from Xcel to No... (Sep '14) Jan '15 Answer 2
News Ramsey County city races: Vadnais Heights mayor... Nov '14 Drunkin Henry 1
News Widow, police chief clash over tribute pin (Oct '10) Oct '14 keren happ 208
News North St. Paul pins hopes on building fiber opt... (Jan '09) Jul '14 Turk 1,754
News Cops break up check forgery ring; 13 charged (Dec '10) Apr '14 Missmedezi 87

Fire Weather Watch for Ramsey County was issued at April 01 at 8:48PM CDT

More from around the web

North St. Paul People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]