White Bear Lake's water level is near...

White Bear Lake's water level is near its record low, but history t...

There are 84 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jun 12, 2010, titled White Bear Lake's water level is near its record low, but history t.... In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Memorial Beach at White Bear Lake has grown by about one hundred yards in depth due to very low water levels on the popular Ramsey County lake.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Wade Gustafson

Saint Paul, MN

#67 Jun 21, 2010
Fact of the matter is wrote:
<quoted text>
Read post #46 above, the little lake next to Polar is Goose Lake. Years ago Goose Lake was used as a sewerage pond by White Bear Lake.
I'll bet the WBL people wouldn't want to run that water into WBL.
Do you really think the city of WBL is still using Goose Lake as a sewage lagoon? Do you really think the MPCA would allow them to do that?
Fact of the matter is

Minneapolis, MN

#68 Jun 22, 2010
Wade Gustafson wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you really think the city of WBL is still using Goose Lake as a sewage lagoon? Do you really think the MPCA would allow them to do that?
Read what I said!
Wade Gustafson

Saint Paul, MN

#69 Jun 22, 2010
<quoted text>
Read what I said!
You said Goose Lake was used years agp in that manner. If that's the case, and it's not continuing, why would anyone be afraid of its water today?
Fact of the matter is

Minneapolis, MN

#70 Jun 22, 2010
Wade Gustafson wrote:
<quoted text>
You said Goose Lake was used years agp in that manner. If that's the case, and it's not continuing, why would anyone be afraid of its water today?
Read post #46, the government has judged the lake is not useable for recreation or swimming because of the sewerage in it.
Wade Gustafson

Saint Paul, MN

#71 Jun 22, 2010
<quoted text>
Read post #46, the government has judged the lake is not useable for recreation or swimming because of the sewerage in it.
That post does not say the city of WBL is allowing sewage to get into the lake. That is merely a definition of various reasons why the algae blooms occur. It is more likely from runoff from fertizers used on peoples' lawns. There is a pond behind my house that probably has the same water quality and there isn't sewage going into it, just runoff. I was merely inquiring if you had more detailed information about Goose Lake. Apparently not.
Fact of the matter is

Delano, MN

#72 Jun 22, 2010
Wade Gustafson wrote:
<quoted text>
That post does not say the city of WBL is allowing sewage to get into the lake. That is merely a definition of various reasons why the algae blooms occur. It is more likely from runoff from fertizers used on peoples' lawns. There is a pond behind my house that probably has the same water quality and there isn't sewage going into it, just runoff. I was merely inquiring if you had more detailed information about Goose Lake. Apparently not.
Wade Gustafson

Saint Paul, MN

#73 Jun 22, 2010
<quoted text>
I did read it and that's not what it says. You apparently read it and did not understand it. The water quality is bad from any number of reasons listed, sewage being one of the POSSIBLE reasons for the algae bloom. I would like to know if you or someone else has more information to confirm that sewage is getting into Goose Lake. I would bet that it is not. The water quality is more than likely low due to runoff from farm and residential fertilizer use, not sewage. Go back and reread the post yourself and tell me where I am wrong.
Fact of the matter is

Saint Paul, MN

#74 Jun 22, 2010
I only know when young, in the 1950s, driving on White Bear Ave Goose lake stunk and it was common knowledge it was the sewerage pond for the city of White Bear Lake!

Now the state has tested Goose Lake and found pollution in Goose Lake which can be caused by Sewerage. IMHO the condition of water in Goose Lake is probably caused by the sewerage dumped there in the 1950s.

You are correct the dirty water could be caused by other pollutants, however there are many 150 acre lakes around that are safe to swim in with many houses on them which would pollute those waters so I don't know if residential pollution would kill Goose Lake.

Take Tanners Lake with 120 on the west side and I94 on the south side 1/2 the size of Goose Lake with houses and apartments packing the shore and the lake is healthy with potable fish and recreational. Tanners is 46 feet deep but who knows how deep Goose Lake, it's 6" now, would be if the sewerage was removed?

There is a shovel ready job if ther ever was one, dredge Goose Lake of all the junk and restore it to a recreational Lake.
Wade Gustafson

Saint Paul, MN

#75 Jun 22, 2010
I only know when young, in the 1950s, driving on White Bear Ave Goose lake stunk and it was common knowledge it was the sewerage pond for the city of White Bear Lake!
Now the state has tested Goose Lake and found pollution in Goose Lake which can be caused by Sewerage. IMHO the condition of water in Goose Lake is probably caused by the sewerage dumped there in the 1950s.
You are correct the dirty water could be caused by other pollutants, however there are many 150 acre lakes around that are safe to swim in with many houses on them which would pollute those waters so I don't know if residential pollution would kill Goose Lake.
Take Tanners Lake with 120 on the west side and I94 on the south side 1/2 the size of Goose Lake with houses and apartments packing the shore and the lake is healthy with potable fish and recreational. Tanners is 46 feet deep but who knows how deep Goose Lake, it's 6" now, would be if the sewerage was removed?
There is a shovel ready job if ther ever was one, dredge Goose Lake of all the junk and restore it to a recreational Lake.
The water quality problem with Goose Lake is definately not caused by sewage from the 50s. It could be from leaky septic systems but is more probably caused by runoff and the fact that it is a shallow, mud-bottomed lake without a lot of water running through it.
Fact of the matter is

Minneapolis, MN

#76 Jun 22, 2010
Wade Gustafson wrote:
<quoted text>
The water quality problem with Goose Lake is definately not caused by sewage from the 50s. It could be from leaky septic systems but is more probably caused by runoff and the fact that it is a shallow, mud-bottomed lake without a lot of water running through it.
Do the houses on Goose Lake have septic systems?

Calling it a mud-bottem lake is putting lipstick on a pig.

Sure seems like it should be dredged and with WBL being so low right now would be a good time to lower water level of Goose and dredge it.

Wade Gustafson

Saint Paul, MN

#77 Jun 22, 2010
<quoted text>
Do the houses on Goose Lake have septic systems?
Calling it a mud-bottem lake is putting lipstick on a pig.
Sure seems like it should be dredged and with WBL being so low right now would be a good time to lower water level of Goose and dredge it.
I agree that dredging would help. Have they ever dredged in that watershed before?
Fact of the matter is

Saint Paul, MN

#78 Jun 22, 2010
Wade Gustafson wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that dredging would help. Have they ever dredged in that watershed before?
Not that I'm aware of but Silver Lake in North Saint Paul was dredged near the beach. That is another lake that is very shallow/muddy. Silver used to be known as a yellow lake because of all the young swimmers and the smallness of the lake.

Joe Bob

Birmingham, AL

#79 Jun 23, 2010
This guy is a "maroon." "Sewerage" and "potable fish"? How do you drink a fish?
DMP

United States

#80 Jul 8, 2010
I heard a report that WBL has a sinkhole, good luck fixing that. You have had plenty of rain this year with no effect, seems to make sense.
Magic

Minneapolis, MN

#81 Jul 8, 2010
DMP wrote:
I heard a report that WBL has a sinkhole, good luck fixing that. You have had plenty of rain this year with no effect, seems to make sense.
You mean it could evolve into a BIG WHOLE in the ground?

Instead of Lakeshore they would own "SinkWholeShore".

Now that IS a sinking feeling..
JON

Minneapolis, MN

#82 Jul 9, 2010
THERE USE TO BE WATER COMING IN FROM THE NORTH (40 YEARS AGO) BECAUSE I ILLEGALLY SPEAR FISHED IN THE SPRING BUT BUILDING AND FILLING IN SWAMPS HAS CEASED A LARGE PORTION OF RUN OFF--WATER SHED.
JON

Minneapolis, MN

#83 Jul 9, 2010
GOOD FOR DOCK SALES--MORE JOBS
JON

Minneapolis, MN

#84 Jul 10, 2010
The only thing you recover are dropped cigarettes that fall from the fat bar wench at Neumans Bar. Recovery diver, that's a laugh.
XD40 Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Hank! With the help of environmental stewards like you, recovery divers like me get to hone our craft by bringing up all the crap you people dropped in the lake. Nicely done. A Hole.
Huh

Minneapolis, MN

#85 Aug 12, 2010
Interesting wrote:
I would be curious to know why it is that WBL has such problems but other large area lakes don't seem to? If indeed WBL is an abomination then there must be more to it than just evaporation.
An abomination? I think the word you're looking for is aberration.

Since: Jun 09

Saint Paul, MN

#86 Aug 23, 2011
<quoted text>
Read post #46 above, the little lake next to Polar is Goose Lake. Years ago Goose Lake was used as a sewerage pond by White Bear Lake.
I'll bet the WBL people wouldn't want to run that water into WBL.
Thank you for this information, I did not know that Goose lake was a sewage reservoir in the past; But this is perfect. Lets make it a PCA Clean up site. Drain all the water into White Bear Lake, making certain it is tested for contaminants prior of course. Then, Dredge the lake bottom clean. Reconnect the two lakes and rename Goose lake, Goose Harbor:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North St. Paul Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ramsey County commissioners poised to approve 2... (Jun '15) Oct '15 LEGAL Thieves Amo... 3
Attorney reviews Thorsen's police report, decli... (May '15) May '15 NSPpoo 1
Lipstick on the snowman (Feb '15) Feb '15 Answer 1
News Maplewood Home Depot may switch from Xcel to No... (Sep '14) Jan '15 Answer 2
News Ramsey County city races: Vadnais Heights mayor... (Nov '14) Nov '14 Drunkin Henry 1
News Widow, police chief clash over tribute pin (Oct '10) Oct '14 keren happ 208
News North St. Paul pins hopes on building fiber opt... (Jan '09) Jul '14 Turk 1,754

North St. Paul Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

North St. Paul Mortgages