White Bear Lake's water level is near its record low, but history t...

Full story: TwinCities.com

Memorial Beach at White Bear Lake has grown by about one hundred yards in depth due to very low water levels on the popular Ramsey County lake.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of84
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
waterguy

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2010

Judged:

boater wrote:
<quoted text>
I find it interesting that the article does not go into the severe restrictions in the area for runoff. The lake relies on runoff for it's water but the area has created quite a few restritions to limit the runoff. The lake has gone through fluctuations in the past, but not when these restritions were in place.
If you're talking about the new requirements for infiltrating run-off (rain gardens) into the ground, that doesn't hurt the waterlevel in the lake in the long term. The runoff enters the groundwater and eventually makes it's way to the lake. It's actually a more consistent water source and filters out pollutants that are harmful to the lake.

By the way, White Bear isn't the only lake in the area that is really low in spite of the recent heavy rains. Prior posters can pack their WBL conspiracy theories away...
boater

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2010

Judged:

waterguy wrote:
<quoted text>
If you're talking about the new requirements for infiltrating run-off (rain gardens) into the ground, that doesn't hurt the waterlevel in the lake in the long term. The runoff enters the groundwater and eventually makes it's way to the lake. It's actually a more consistent water source and filters out pollutants that are harmful to the lake.
By the way, White Bear isn't the only lake in the area that is really low in spite of the recent heavy rains. Prior posters can pack their WBL conspiracy theories away...
No, I am talking about trying to update my home in the area. Wanted to add a small addition but was told no because we would have too much impervious surface area (the limit is 25%) because it creates too much runoff (we wanted to go 1% above the limit). So, I can't add on because it creates runoff and I can't use my boat because the lake is too low. Gotta love it.
Dont think so

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2010

Judged:

It'll be much better for the water to go down another 5 ft so there won't be any FK boats on the lake.
wblaker

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2010

Judged:

Dont think so wrote:
It'll be much better for the water to go down another 5 ft so there won't be any FK boats on the lake.
Yes, looking at a great big mud bog would be much more appealing. Jealous are we???
Fact of the matter is

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2010

Judged:

Wells were dug and pumps were installed in order to maintain the water level in WBL during cycles of drought.

"People" today choose to NOT FILL THE LAKE!

Environmentalists LOVE to stick it to the "RICH" living on the lake. They also cannot wait to tax them more.
MN Observer

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2010

Fact of the matter is wrote:
Wells were dug and pumps were installed in order to maintain the water level in WBL during cycles of drought.
"People" today choose to NOT FILL THE LAKE!
Environmentalists LOVE to stick it to the "RICH" living on the lake. They also cannot wait to tax them more.
Those pumps cannot pump enough water to 'fill' the lake.
Fact of the matter is

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2010

Judged:

MN Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
Those pumps cannot pump enough water to 'fill' the lake.
I recall when swimming at that beach in the 1950s the levels were maintained by the pumps.

Did you swim in WBL in the 1950s?

Silver Lake in North Saint Paul also had a pump and used to maintain the level of that pond.

These days Silver is poisned by North Saint Paul and Chuck Wiger to kill all the weeds.
imikem

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2010

Nobody ever seems to mention the relentless drainage of nearby wetlands over the last 15 years as a contributing factor to all of this. Vadnais Heights to the southwest in particular built several subdivisions on land that was previously wet much of the time. I think the water has been seeping out in that direction. Also, the drainage area of WBL isn't much bigger than the yards of the adjacent homes.

With the ongoing low water levels, despite the amount of precipitation this spring, I believe the counties and the DNR need to get more serious about understanding what's going on.

Since: Apr 10

Maple Grove, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2010

Think Green wrote:
You people have No idea what really going on with white bear lake, I will tell you what the DNR does Not want you to know!
I lived on the lake for 58 years and for the 50 of them years if the lake was getting low, the DNR would let people Dump Garbage and old cars in to the lake to fill up the bottom untell the water hit our docks.
So please, If you have a old car or garbage just drop it in and you will see the lake come back!
You are full of it! Go take your medications and go back to bed!
MN Observer

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2010

<quoted text>
I recall when swimming at that beach in the 1950s the levels were maintained by the pumps.
Did you swim in WBL in the 1950s?
Silver Lake in North Saint Paul also had a pump and used to maintain the level of that pond.
These days Silver is poisned by North Saint Paul and Chuck Wiger to kill all the weeds.
No I did not swim in WBL in the 1950s but I do know something about hydrology from my father who was a watershed man for years. Those pumps cannot pump enough water to keep up with evaporation, only rainfall and runoff can really keep the water level up. The pumps can help a little bit, but if there is a shortage of rainfall, the pumps cannot pump enough to maintain the water level. If the pumps were going the last few years the WBL water level would still be at least 3 feet down.
Fact of the matter is

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2010

I recall back in the day Goose Lake (which is west of WBL across WBA and split by 61) was used by White Bear City as the sewer system for the city. You notice nobody recreates on Goose Lake.

Runoff from Goose Lake into WBL is not allowed to prevent sewerage from entering WBL. Wonder if that lack of runoff affects WBLs level?

MN Observer

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2010

I recall back in the day Goose Lake (which is west of WBL across WBA and split by 61) was used by White Bear City as the sewer system for the city. You notice nobody recreates on Goose Lake.
Runoff from Goose Lake into WBL is not allowed to prevent sewerage from entering WBL. Wonder if that lack of runoff affects WBLs level?
Are you sure water flows in that direction?

The city of WBL is not using Goose Lake as a sewer system. The reason nobody recreates on Goose Lake is because there are good lakes nearby. Goose Lake is extremely shallow. If it was never used as a sewer people would still not be using it to swim and waterski, etc.
Fact of the matter is

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2010

MN Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you sure water flows in that direction?
The city of WBL is not using Goose Lake as a sewer system. The reason nobody recreates on Goose Lake is because there are good lakes nearby. Goose Lake is extremely shallow. If it was never used as a sewer people would still not be using it to swim and waterski, etc.
I don't know if a natural flow would be from Goose Lake to WBL but when Goose is polluted and unusable allowing the water to flow from Goose into WBL is NOT AN OPTION. Of course that limits the watershed area for WBL to not include the Goose Lake and west area.

IF you find someone in White Bear Lake to tell the truth about Goose Lake you will find out it was used as a sewer for many years. The west side of Goose Lake west of 61 is used for water ski practice but that side of Goose Lake I suspect is cleaner than the section east of 61 west of White Bear Ave.

BTW the sewerage in Goose Lake is NOT something ANYONE in WBL wants to broadcast, it will be difficult to get anyone to tell the truth. Dirty little secret..
GreatDay

Warsaw, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2010

Judged:

<quoted text>
I don't know if a natural flow would be from Goose Lake to WBL but when Goose is polluted and unusable allowing the water to flow from Goose into WBL is NOT AN OPTION. Of course that limits the watershed area for WBL to not include the Goose Lake and west area.
IF you find someone in White Bear Lake to tell the truth about Goose Lake you will find out it was used as a sewer for many years. The west side of Goose Lake west of 61 is used for water ski practice but that side of Goose Lake I suspect is cleaner than the section east of 61 west of White Bear Ave.
BTW the sewerage in Goose Lake is NOT something ANYONE in WBL wants to broadcast, it will be difficult to get anyone to tell the truth. Dirty little secret..
Yeah, the turdies flowed in there for years...
felix

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2010

<quoted text>
if its to poopy to be allowed into w.b.lake , why are herds of hmongs permitted to catch and eat fish from the east and west sides ????
MN Observer

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2010

<quoted text>
Are you telling me that sewage from the city of WBL is being pumped into Goose Lake? I find that hard to believe. I would also find it hard to believe there were too many faulty septic systems causing Goose Lake to become polluted with effluent.
Fact of the matter is

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2010

Judged:

felix wrote:
<quoted text> if its to poopy to be allowed into w.b.lake , why are herds of hmongs permitted to catch and eat fish from the east and west sides ????
The Hmong don't know or don't care.

Government don't care about the Hmong.

You don't see non-hmong fishing there do ya?

I once heard there were people trapping minnows out of Goose Lake.

Fish don't care where they live and may be clean enough to consume, I'll check the DNR WEB site on lakes.

It has been many years since the last turd hit the water so nature has decomposed the sewerage and the water is probably clean but I suspect IF you dug into the bottem it would be real nasty.

Seems to me Goose Lake should be dredged to clean all the nasty stuff and then cleaned somehow and made fit to use recreationaly. And consume fish from it, not to mention support water flow into WBL which would expand the WBL watershed.

A neat restoration could include a navigable channel under White Bear avenue between Goose Lake and WBL.

felix

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2010

MN Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you telling me that sewage from the city of WBL is being pumped into Goose Lake? I find that hard to believe. I would also find it hard to believe there were too many faulty septic systems causing Goose Lake to become polluted with effluent.
KEY WORD--- "WAS"
felix

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2010

<quoted text>
The Hmong don't know or don't care.
Government don't care about the Hmong.
You don't see non-hmong fishing there do ya?
I once heard there were people trapping minnows out of Goose Lake.
Fish don't care where they live and may be clean enough to consume, I'll check the DNR WEB site on lakes.
It has been many years since the last turd hit the water so nature has decomposed the sewerage and the water is probably clean but I suspect IF you dug into the bottem it would be real nasty.
Seems to me Goose Lake should be dredged to clean all the nasty stuff and then cleaned somehow and made fit to use recreationaly. And consume fish from it, not to mention support water flow into WBL which would expand the WBL watershed.
A neat restoration could include a navigable channel under White Bear avenue between Goose Lake and WBL.
yes - i have seen non hmong fishing both east and west side,just as often !
Fact of the matter is

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2010

Checkmylake.org

Has the following info on Goose Lake.

Goose
RAMSEY

Swimming & Recreation
This lake has been tested and found unsuitable for swimming and recreation.

Lakes that are not suitable for recreation often have excessive algae, plant growth or even slime. This is often the result of pollution from phosphorus or nitrogen, which comes from sewage, fertilizers, animal waste and some other sources.

Eating Fish
The fish in this lake have not yet been tested. Though fish should be a part of any healthy diet, every lake that has been tested in Minnesota has shown some fish to contain unsafe concentrations of mercury in their tissue especially for children and women of childbearing age. Please follow the Department of Health Guidelines for consuming fish from this or any other lake in Minnesota.

FYI DNR has found Bullheads and Sukers ONLY in Goose Lake, it is only 6 feet deep, full of bad stuff.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of84
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent North St. Paul Discussions

Search the North St. Paul Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
North St. Paul pins hopes on building fiber opt... (Jan '09) Jun 27 Turk 1,753
Man wanted in Roseville sex assault is caught d... (Feb '08) Jun 23 survivor 11
MN Who do you support for Governor in Minnesota in... (Oct '10) Jun 12 doomsayer2014 847
Cops break up check forgery ring; 13 charged (Dec '10) Apr '14 Missmedezi 87
Legislation would rename Hwy. 36 in North St. P... Mar '14 Joe Blow 3
Tarah Louise Schmahl booked on multiple charges (Dec '13) Dec '13 Local Jail Blotter 1
District 622 Want MORE TAXES (Jul '11) Nov '13 RPeterson 33
•••
•••
•••
•••

North St. Paul Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

North St. Paul People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE