Widow, police chief clash over tribute pin

Full story: TwinCities.com

For a year, fellow North St. Paul officers wore memorial pins in Rick Crittenden's honor after he was killed in the line of duty on Labor Day 2009.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of207
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Logan

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2010

Judged:

Get a Grip wrote:
Well sad and tragic as it is, an officer's uniform is not a medium to advertise for causes ,as noble as they might be.
These men and women go to work everyday and deal with people in all sorts of situations. Safety should trump decor. When you deal with drunks 24-7 as cops do, the smallest thing can cause a distraction or create an unneeded confrontation. I can already hear some drunk screaming about the pin on the cops uni. Less is more.......
I like the statue idea. There's a lot of great dead cops who never got a statue, but I would also take the memorial off the squad car as well........
I happen to agree with you. I would vote to take the decal off the squads.
JON

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2010

Judged:

Sad, but this is true.

Defamation-no malice
Logan wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately, Mrs. Crittenden made some serious accusations to the media that slander and defame the character of the NSP police chief. Her statements about officers who fear "retaliation" is a safety issue and must be addressed. The cititizens of NSP deserve to have a police force that can perform their duties and express their opinions to their chief without a fear of retaliation.
If Mrs. Crittenden desires to make accusations to the media, she must be prepared to back her statements up with facts. The citizens of NSP deserve no less.
Taxpayer

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2010

Judged:

a statue, a pin, a decal, enough already. what a way to say thanks to us taxpayers, by causing a scandal, making allegations about retaliation, which i think is a bunch of bull. let the officers do their job and leave them alone, Mrs. C. sorry, but you are in dire need of a wake-up call.
Hello

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2010

Judged:

Taxpayer wrote:
a statue, a pin, a decal, enough already. what a way to say thanks to us taxpayers, by causing a scandal, making allegations about retaliation, which i think is a bunch of bull. let the officers do their job and leave them alone, Mrs. C. sorry, but you are in dire need of a wake-up call.
So are you. I have no idea about the decals on the squad, but I promise you the pins, the statue, etc were NOT paid for with taxpayer money. It was all through donations!
Frusterated

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2010

Judged:

Logan wrote:
<quoted text>
I happen to agree with you. I would vote to take the decal off the squads.
Well good thing you don't get a vote!
Please

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2010

Judged:

Logan wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately, Mrs. Crittenden made some serious accusations to the media that slander and defame the character of the NSP police chief. Her statements about officers who fear "retaliation" is a safety issue and must be addressed. The cititizens of NSP deserve to have a police force that can perform their duties and express their opinions to their chief without a fear of retaliation.
If Mrs. Crittenden desires to make accusations to the media, she must be prepared to back her statements up with facts. The citizens of NSP deserve no less.
Again, I say that unless you are a NSP police officer and deal with that chief day in and day out and know all the inner workings of the department you can't make such blanket assumptions. Mrs. Crittenden DOES KNOW the inner workings of that department as her husband worked there for 9yrs! She never said that police force can't do their duties.

Are you a citizen of NSP? If no, you don't get an opinion!
ISTHISFORREAL

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2010

Judged:

Taxpayer wrote:
AGREED! the taxpayers deserve to know what all this accucations about retaliation is all about. what's going on in north st. paul? so, this widow is the spokesperson for all the cops there?

is north st. paul turning into some soap opera? seems people there are falling apart at the seams. didn't the police chief also help raise money for the statue and other things? now, the widow is trashing him? YES, THE TAXPAYERS HAVE A RIGHT TO KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON AT THE COP SHOP!
ISTHISFORREAL

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2010

Judged:

Please wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, I say that unless you are a NSP police officer and deal with that chief day in and day out and know all the inner workings of the department you can't make such blanket assumptions. Mrs. Crittenden DOES KNOW the inner workings of that department as her husband worked there for 9yrs! She never said that police force can't do their duties.
WOW! sounds like you live in the 1920'S. LOL! DRAMA IN NORTH ST PAUL! LOL!!!!!
Oakdale

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2010

Judged:

i happen to have donated to the statue fund, even though i live in Oakdale. sorry to hear about the officer's wife and the nasty remarks she is now making about no.st.paul police dept. things sure seem to be out of control with this whole tragedy.
Josef S

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2010

Judged:

Don't want a PUBLIC opinion...don't air your trash!
Please wrote:
<quoted text>
I Am Farticus

Barron, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2010

Judged:

It's tough to lose a loved one, especially in such a sudden, violent way. My guess is that grief is driving her demands on this issue. While the department might be ready to move on, she probably isn't yet.
JON

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2010

Judged:

Worth Repeating from the above poster.

Sums it up very well.

"It's tough to lose a loved one, especially in such a sudden, violent way. My guess is that grief is driving her demands on this issue. While the department might be ready to move on, she probably isn't yet".
Sally

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2010

Judged:

ISTHISFORREAL wrote:
<quoted text>
AGREED! the taxpayers deserve to know what all this accucations about retaliation is all about. what's going on in north st. paul? so, this widow is the spokesperson for all the cops there?
is north st. paul turning into some soap opera? seems people there are falling apart at the seams. didn't the police chief also help raise money for the statue and other things? now, the widow is trashing him? YES, THE TAXPAYERS HAVE A RIGHT TO KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON AT THE COP SHOP!
This began because North Saint Paul (NSP) failed its police offiers and its residents!

The NSP Police Department (PD) has been relegated to a second class department because some in power decided years ago, based on what a State Trooper (Theis) said, that the NSP PD should not be merged with Maplewood. Theis said IF the department was merged NSP would have no police protection because they would be at Maplewood Mall all the time. Well Theis got his way and NSP PD remains small and dependant on Maplewood for backup. This reliance on Maplewood led to the death of a NSP officer, RIP Rick. This because neither officer that faitfull day knew each other or rules of engagement, training, each others capability etc etc etc!!!

When you say residents should know what goes on in the NSP PD you need to understand how NSP functions. NSP does NOT function in a transparent way, in fact what the little town of <10,000 residents operates in very secret ways the residents NEVER KNOWING what the city is doing, other than the fact that property taxes are EXTREMELY HIGH, the town WASTES tons of money on projects that are NO BID contracts, electric rates are VERY HIGH with none of the XCEL programs.

This episode in NSP history is like so many others. People have a concern and are forced to bring it to the city council where they are ignored and forced to jump through hoops for the city of NSP.

IMHO, this officers survivor should have NEVER BEEN TOLD to take her complaint to the city council! This is NSP at it worst! The mayor and or Police Chief should have had a heart to heart discussion IN PRIVATE with her, for crying out loud, and Christine's concern should have been accomodated. She lost her husband because NSP operates the way it does and now because NSP operates the way it does Christine is being stood up in front of the failed city council and goofy mayor to have to plead for a very simple rememberance pin for her husband.

NSP officers have been wearing the pins for a year with NO PROBLEMS so let them wear them forever. As a 60+ year resident of NSP I feel the city is just plain old BROKEN in every way imaginable!

It's 2010 people, can't anything be done right???
JON

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2010

Judged:

And to top it OFF FACE BOOK!!

http://www.facebook.com/... #!/group.php?gid=1333633333770 29

CREATOR: Adam Wags Wegner (creator)

Excerpts of her MADNESS.

Tami Ekstrand

Add as Friend,,,You lost my VOTE!!! Desperate?

I AM NOT A COP.. This is just STUPID.
JON

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2010

Judged:

So we should merge with Maplewood who has had a string of minority BEATINGS one of which is being investigated by the FBI?

Maplewood Chief Salmonella is work of art.
Sally wrote:
<quoted text>
This began because North Saint Paul (NSP) failed its police offiers and its residents!
The NSP Police Department (PD) has been relegated to a second class department because some in power decided years ago, based on what a State Trooper (Theis) said, that the NSP PD should not be merged with Maplewood. Theis said IF the department was merged NSP would have no police protection because they would be at Maplewood Mall all the time. Well Theis got his way and NSP PD remains small and dependant on Maplewood for backup. This reliance on Maplewood led to the death of a NSP officer, RIP Rick. This because neither officer that faitfull day knew each other or rules of engagement, training, each others capability etc etc etc!!!
When you say residents should know what goes on in the NSP PD you need to understand how NSP functions. NSP does NOT function in a transparent way, in fact what the little town of <10,000 residents operates in very secret ways the residents NEVER KNOWING what the city is doing, other than the fact that property taxes are EXTREMELY HIGH, the town WASTES tons of money on projects that are NO BID contracts, electric rates are VERY HIGH with none of the XCEL programs.
This episode in NSP history is like so many others. People have a concern and are forced to bring it to the city council where they are ignored and forced to jump through hoops for the city of NSP.
IMHO, this officers survivor should have NEVER BEEN TOLD to take her complaint to the city council! This is NSP at it worst! The mayor and or Police Chief should have had a heart to heart discussion IN PRIVATE with her, for crying out loud, and Christine's concern should have been accomodated. She lost her husband because NSP operates the way it does and now because NSP operates the way it does Christine is being stood up in front of the failed city council and goofy mayor to have to plead for a very simple rememberance pin for her husband.
NSP officers have been wearing the pins for a year with NO PROBLEMS so let them wear them forever. As a 60+ year resident of NSP I feel the city is just plain old BROKEN in every way imaginable!
It's 2010 people, can't anything be done right???
JON

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2010

Judged:

It really is about a RETARDED City manager and a goofy mayor.

I have spoken with the Chief and IN NO WAY is the order meant to hurt anyone..

He has to keep the department moving in the right direction and have some closure--if that is even possible. The "PIN" thing is a step in that direction.

Can you imagine how HE FEELS happening on his watch? This is BS.

A hand full of busy bodies blew this all out of proportion.
Sally wrote:
<quoted text>
This began because North Saint Paul (NSP) failed its police offiers and its REDACTED
Sally

Prior Lake, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2010

Judged:

JON wrote:
So we should merge with Maplewood who has had a string of minority BEATINGS one of which is being investigated by the FBI?
Maplewood Chief Salmonella is work of art.
<quoted text>
Take your pick, merge with Maplewood, White Bear Lake, Oakdale or hire the Sheriff to police NSP. The Sheriff polices: Matomedi, Little Canada, White Bear Township, Lake Elmo, Willernie, North Oaks, Ham Lake, AND lots of other small towns.

FYI it's "piece of work" not "work of art". LOL.
Sally

Prior Lake, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2010

Judged:

JON wrote:
It really is about a RETARDED City manager and a goofy mayor.
I have spoken with the Chief and IN NO WAY is the order meant to hurt anyone..
He has to keep the department moving in the right direction and have some closure--if that is even possible. The "PIN" thing is a step in that direction.
Can you imagine how HE FEELS happening on his watch? This is BS.
A hand full of busy bodies blew this all out of proportion.
<quoted text>
HOW on God's green earth could I forget dear old Wally???

Please accept my most humble apology...

The Chief should have the sense to nip this in the proverbial bud and addressed it with Christine BEFORE it got to the goofy IDIOTS running city hall, or Town Hall as it is. There is NO WAY NSP is a city.

The NSP busy bodies are simply reacting to a widow feeling the pain of loosing a husband. Again the Chief or Mayor or Wally(I hope not 'cause he'll goof it up MORE) needs to come to grips with Christine. Helen is not a player but for the fact the town enabled her by goofing this up.
Sally

Prior Lake, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2010

Judged:

Why isn't anyone running aginst Mike K. for mayor??

I would help running a writein campaign.
JON

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2010

Judged:

Your delusional if you think NSP will merge with any other city.

Why do you think it is even possible? you can't even get 6 people to agree on one thing more than 10 minutes at a time.

Are you giving shit because how I phrased or framed my sarcasm?

LOOK, I'm on your side most of the time, OK Polermill?
Sally wrote:
<quoted text>
Take your pick, merge with Maplewood, White Bear Lake, Oakdale or hire the Sheriff to police NSP. The Sheriff polices: Matomedi, Little Canada, White Bear Township, Lake Elmo, Willernie, North Oaks, Ham Lake, AND lots of other small towns.
FYI it's "piece of work" not "work of art". LOL.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of207
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

North St. Paul Jobs

•••
•••
•••

North St. Paul People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance