Widow, police chief clash over tribute pin

For a year, fellow North St. Paul officers wore memorial pins in Rick Crittenden's honor after he was killed in the line of duty on Labor Day 2009. Full Story
First Prev
of 11
Next Last
Nota Sheep

San Ramon, CA

#1 Oct 7, 2010
Yes, his death is a tragic loss. Yes, she is missing a large part of her life. Things will never be the same for her.

That said, though, it's time to move on. There is nothing positive to be gained by suspending this rule. He's gone, and nothing will bring him back. Coping is hard, but it's essential. There is nothing to be gained by living in the past.
Voice of Reason

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Oct 7, 2010
You have to take them off at some point in time. There comes a time we all must bury our dead and move forward.
Shadow

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Oct 8, 2010
Let them wear the pins, no big deal. SPPD allows them, don't make something out of nothing.
No spin zone

Forest Lake, MN

#4 Oct 8, 2010
Let me get this straight!!!! These are grown men?? Take your little pin and put it on your teddy bears and sleep with it. For a bunch of ego manics they sure can be babies. Frickin story made me spill my coffee I laughed so hard.
Annie

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Oct 8, 2010
It's really sad, but where is the line drawn? A year is a good, arbitrary amount of time. They could have done nothing.
WHAT

Eau Claire, WI

#6 Oct 8, 2010
My god, give it a rest, you have the memorial, look how many police officers have died on duty in st.paul, no bronze statues, no pins, just a picture and name on the wall, are all you people in n. st.paul losing your mind, pick on the very police dept. this man worked for, its been a year, he was a good man, why tarnish his memory.
Just the facts

Eau Claire, WI

#9 Oct 8, 2010
Uniform policies are created to have a consistant look when these public figures are working. The exception to allow them to wear the pin should be seen as a great honor by the officers wife.

Retiring the pin after one year seems appropriate. I think the officers have also been told they can wear them in his honor on the aniversary of his death.

Officer Crittenden's service has been well honored, but it is time to move on.
Helen Hendrickson

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Oct 8, 2010
I am happy the Pioneer Press finally decided to cover the story. I notified them same time I notified the TV stations. 5 covered it on Saturday and 5 & 9 were there with us on Tuesday at City Council meeting. Hope to see more people there two weeks from this Tuesday when it is brought up again.
Fired Up

Saint Paul, MN

#11 Oct 8, 2010
No spin zone wrote:
Let me get this straight!!!! These are grown men?? Take your little pin and put it on your teddy bears and sleep with it. For a bunch of ego manics they sure can be babies. Frickin story made me spill my coffee I laughed so hard.
How dare you be so disrespectful to all the feelings and emotions surrounding this issue! You obvioulsy have NEVER had a loved one murdered! You obviously don't have a grasp on the entire situation. Do your research before you disrespect the memory and the family of an amazing man!
No spin zone

Forest Lake, MN

#12 Oct 8, 2010
Fired Up wrote:
<quoted text>
How dare you be so disrespectful to all the feelings and emotions surrounding this issue! You obvioulsy have NEVER had a loved one murdered! You obviously don't have a grasp on the entire situation. Do your research before you disrespect the memory and the family of an amazing man!
Lady it's been a year time to move on. Say wear the pin once your off duty and keep the memory alive.

“Joy is the shadow cast by pain”

Since: Dec 08

Twin Cities, MN

#13 Oct 8, 2010
No spin zone wrote:
<quoted text>Lady it's been a year time to move on. Say wear the pin once your off duty and keep the memory alive.
If his wife doesn't want to move on, she's free to do that. But everyone else should get to make that choice as well. I don't see what she think she's accomplishing by pushing this issue. Ithink she's blinded by grief. It's been a year, might be time for grief counseling. NOt to move on (I prefer "Move through"), but to start thinking beyond herself and her pain/grief.
Fired Up

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Oct 8, 2010
No spin zone wrote:
<quoted text>Lady it's been a year time to move on. Say wear the pin once your off duty and keep the memory alive.
The next time you have a loved one murdered I'll remember to tell you to "move on" also.(no, I am NOT a cop; just a citizen that believes these officers should have the right to decide whether they want to wear the pin or not)
Logan

Minneapolis, MN

#15 Oct 8, 2010
I do not agree with law enforcement officers being allowed to wear any pins, other than official departmental pins. I do not agree with the St. Paul Police Department's policy. A uniform for a law enforcement officer should be just that, "uniform." This isn't TGI Fridays, where you get to show your "flare."

No one intends to offend anyone.
Logan

Minneapolis, MN

#16 Oct 8, 2010
AngelaMN wrote:
<quoted text>
If his wife doesn't want to move on, she's free to do that. But everyone else should get to make that choice as well. I don't see what she think she's accomplishing by pushing this issue. Ithink she's blinded by grief. It's been a year, might be time for grief counseling. NOt to move on (I prefer "Move through"), but to start thinking beyond herself and her pain/grief.
I agree. I think someone may be in need of professional grief counseling. Sometimes our loved ones and friends just aren't enough. An objective, experienced counselor might be a good idea here.
JON

Saint Paul, MN

#22 Oct 8, 2010
It REALLY is about moving on.
Logan

Minneapolis, MN

#23 Oct 8, 2010
Mrs. Crittenden is making some very serious accusations towards the Police Chief of NSP. Claiming some officers fear "retaliation" if they challenge removing a pin is a serious statement. If true, it certainly signals a deep and profound distrust some officers harbor about their chief.

I understand she is grieving, but she has crossed the line with her comments. She has now become destructive to police morale. I, for one, do not believe her accusations.
carol

Saint Paul, MN

#25 Oct 8, 2010
The rules are in place for a reason. As the wife of a police officer, she should understand that rules must be followed. It seems she is having a tough time moving on, and I can not imagine her pain, but hopefully she can redirect her efforts into something more positive.
Please

Saint Paul, MN

#26 Oct 8, 2010
I don't usually post comments on online articles such as this, but I would just like to say that unless any of you have had a loved one killed in the line of duty, you don't get to have an opinion on how long is "long enough" to grieve. All she is asking for is that these officers have a right to decide for themselves when they want to remove Ofc. Crittenden's pin. I think it is a simple request and one that is heartfelt.
None of us know the inner workings of the NSP police department, so to make blanket assumptions is not fair.
I would just like to ask everyone to be respectful of this situation. None of us are involved, we are outsiders looking in.
I send my thoughts and prayers to the entire Crittenden family.
Get a Grip

Saint Paul, MN

#27 Oct 8, 2010
Well sad and tragic as it is, an officer's uniform is not a medium to advertise for causes ,as noble as they might be.

These men and women go to work everyday and deal with people in all sorts of situations. Safety should trump decor. When you deal with drunks 24-7 as cops do, the smallest thing can cause a distraction or create an unneeded confrontation. I can already hear some drunk screaming about the pin on the cops uni. Less is more.......

I like the statue idea. There's a lot of great dead cops who never got a statue, but I would also take the memorial off the squad car as well........
Logan

Minneapolis, MN

#28 Oct 8, 2010
Please wrote:
I don't usually post comments on online articles such as this, but I would just like to say that unless any of you have had a loved one killed in the line of duty, you don't get to have an opinion on how long is "long enough" to grieve. All she is asking for is that these officers have a right to decide for themselves when they want to remove Ofc. Crittenden's pin. I think it is a simple request and one that is heartfelt.
None of us know the inner workings of the NSP police department, so to make blanket assumptions is not fair.
I would just like to ask everyone to be respectful of this situation. None of us are involved, we are outsiders looking in.
I send my thoughts and prayers to the entire Crittenden family.
Unfortunately, Mrs. Crittenden made some serious accusations to the media that slander and defame the character of the NSP police chief. Her statements about officers who fear "retaliation" is a safety issue and must be addressed. The cititizens of NSP deserve to have a police force that can perform their duties and express their opinions to their chief without a fear of retaliation.

If Mrs. Crittenden desires to make accusations to the media, she must be prepared to back her statements up with facts. The citizens of NSP deserve no less.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North St. Paul Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
State board investigating lawyer's complaint ag... (Feb '09) Dec 14 Iabdull 29
Report: 3 arrested in burglary spree that spans... (Sep '10) Dec 12 lol man 88
Ramsey County home values rising, and so are th... Dec 8 doomsayer 1
Former sheriff Fletcher files to run for Ramsey... (Jun '12) Nov '14 Dutchman 3
Ramsey County city races: Vadnais Heights mayor... Nov '14 Drunkin Henry 1
Maplewood Home Depot may switch from Xcel to No... Sep '14 Patty Piles 1
North St. Paul pins hopes on building fiber opt... (Jan '09) Jul '14 Turk 1,754
North St. Paul Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web