Hastings police officer charged after allegedly fleeing car crash

There are 17 comments on the TwinCities.com story from May 26, 2010, titled Hastings police officer charged after allegedly fleeing car crash. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

After crashing his car early April 10 in St. Paul, Hastings police officer Donald James Farrington walked away from the scene, according to criminal charges against him.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Lobo

Minneapolis, MN

#1 May 27, 2010
Awesome how these cops are such great role models....sheesh no wonder we are having a crime uptick, between this guy, the "gang taskforce" and that cop that robbed banks....I almost feel safer with the "real" criminals around
Reality check

Mankato, MN

#2 May 27, 2010
Every field has their black eyes.
Really

New Richmond, WI

#3 May 27, 2010
Farrington might wear a uniform, but lets all remember he is just a person. Do we know what he has seen and been fearfull of? Going to work everyday wondering if today you may end up like a fellow officer, DEAD. Shot by a thug! We should be happy he noticed he had a problem and is willing to take care of it. Maybe thats what we really need on our streets. Real people.
Papa Ratzi

New Hampton, IA

#4 May 27, 2010
Criminal cops, always thinking they are above the law. And it usually works out that way.
surely

United States

#5 May 27, 2010
He needs an inpatient Mental Health stay
No spin zone

Forest Lake, MN

#6 May 28, 2010
This is nothing new for cops. They frickin break the law daily and get off the hook. The Thin Blue Lie comes through every time. After all they are the biggest gang in US.
Bulldog

Saint Paul, MN

#7 May 28, 2010
Just think how it was before mass media and instant news, the PO were wired for self aggrandizing, power and control.

As we see these days with cameras behind every blade of grass and if you even fart someone hears about in china 5 seconds latter. The cops should be on their best behavior. Should I even have to say that?

The playing field is leveling out between BAD COPs and the average citizen that use to be one jack-boot step away from getting their asss kicked for looking at a cop the wrong way.

Is this the tip of iceberg? It always is.

Commonsense dictates that power begets power. Power corrupts-- its human nature. But these officers MUST be held to the highest level of scrutiny and OVERSIGHT.

The days of paid vacations for maiming, beat-downs and questionable killings have to stop and transparency MUST replace the BLUE WALL OF SILENCE.

The good cops have to convert their thinking to one of not “cover your brothers ass” when he screws up but thinking of ways of positive correction. And if a series of corrections and the pattern of behavior continue, the brothers need to cut the cop loose.

I believe in CIVILIAN OVER SIGHT COMMISSIONS, similar to a jury who ultimately decides the deposition of a case of whether or not the COP goes back on the street or packs his bags and goes home.
Bulldog

Saint Paul, MN

#8 May 28, 2010
Black eyes work for the TRASH HAULER but not Professional police officers.

Your just looking the other way, how does that change anything?

Are you part of the community?
Reality check wrote:
Every field has their black eyes.
Bulldog

Saint Paul, MN

#9 May 28, 2010
No EXCUSES--

The symptoms you describe fall under the category of Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome. It is very subtle and a deleterious condition that is harmful or hurtful, to physical, mental or moral health and a can sneak up on you and reek havoc on your life even if you think everything is under control. There in lies the problem.

I know-- I've been there.

If it's that's bad (or heading there) then they need to be screened and or be peer reviewed or some other way of making sure that the trauma dealt with and hope the cumulative trauma does not get the up hand.

I think this is fair and rational assessment, but others may see it different.
Really wrote:
Farrington might wear a uniform, but lets all remember he is just a person. Do we know what he has seen and been fearfull of? Going to work everyday wondering if today you may end up like a fellow officer, DEAD. Shot by a thug! We should be happy he noticed he had a problem and is willing to take care of it. Maybe thats what we really need on our streets. Real people.
JAA

United States

#10 May 28, 2010
He's human...he's got some problems that he's smart enough to know he needs some help for.
He's a good cop, one Hastings can't afford to lose.
Bulldog

Saint Paul, MN

#11 May 28, 2010
Farrington, 40, of North St. Paul was charged Monday in Ramsey County District Court with falsely reporting a crime and leaving the scene of an accident, both misdemeanors.

Why is N. St.Paul and Maplewood always popping up?

McMenomy said that he could not disclose what the treatment entails, citing privacy guidelines, but that Farrington is using accrued sick and vacation time.

VACATION PAY..

Farrington, who was hired by Hastings police in 2006, was charged with misdemeanor driving under the influence in 2002, court records show. The case was later dismissed.

In 1994, he was charged with gross misdemeanor theft and misdemeanor criminal damage to property — two cases that also were dismissed, court records show.

CORRUPTION AND PROTECTION BY THE PROSECUTOR AND COURT

NO ONE HAS DIED YET....
Bulldog

Saint Paul, MN

#12 May 28, 2010
wE KNOW HE'S HUMAN -- GO BACK TO SLEEP
JAA wrote:
He's human...he's got some problems that he's smart enough to know he needs some help for.
He's a good cop, one Hastings can't afford to lose.
Get Real

Minneapolis, MN

#13 Jun 5, 2010
Bulldog wrote:
Farrington, 40, of North St. Paul was charged Monday in Ramsey County District Court with falsely reporting a crime and leaving the scene of an accident, both misdemeanors.
Why is N. St.Paul and Maplewood always popping up?
McMenomy said that he could not disclose what the treatment entails, citing privacy guidelines, but that Farrington is using accrued sick and vacation time.
VACATION PAY..
**** Farrington, who was hired by Hastings police in 2006, was charged with misdemeanor driving under the influence in 2002, court records show. The case was later dismissed.
In 1994, he was charged with gross misdemeanor theft and misdemeanor criminal damage to property — two cases that also were dismissed, court records show.
CORRUPTION AND PROTECTION BY THE PROSECUTOR AND COURT
NO ONE HAS DIED YET....
Are you kidding me!!! First point, other than cops being killed in North St Paul and Maplewood, what are you talking about?!?

Second, Corruption and protection? By who? Farrington didn't become a cop until 2006. The DUI happened in 2000. The theft happened in 1994. If there was protection, wouldn't he have never been arrested in the first place?
Jerry Person

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Jun 5, 2010
No spin zone wrote:
This is nothing new for cops. They frickin break the law daily and get off the hook. The Thin Blue Lie comes through every time. After all they are the biggest gang in US.
I hope I don't look as stupid as you when I complain about cops judges and courts. At least I sometimes go on my meds and talk about something else. It looks like you must have a second computer that you use to "judge" your own posts so you cant see that everyone else thinks your a fool.
No spin zone

Forest Lake, MN

#15 Jun 7, 2010
Jerry Person wrote:
<quoted text> I hope I don't look as stupid as you when I complain about cops judges and courts. At least I sometimes go on my meds and talk about something else. It looks like you must have a second computer that you use to "judge" your own posts so you cant see that everyone else thinks your a fool.
What a tool you are hiding under Jerry Person's name. What NO life of your own!
Bulldog

Minneapolis, MN

#16 Jun 10, 2010
Vote NO Wiger

Vote No Lilly

They have no sense of fiscal restraint.

Wiger is a monumental Hypocrite when it comes to VETS.

The two sent out a Joint flier looking like a couple of queers on tour.

Then they have the NERVE to use a half a page to USE for political expediency the images of fallen officers Richard R. Crittenden and Sgt. Joseph Bergeron and segway into a tweaked Domestic Violence law which was already in the works by a womens group.

Shameful-- and I hope others see through this FARCE.
Sean OBrien

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Feb 7, 2011
This PHONY of a should be out of a job. The boy has been harassing people for years and if it wasn't for "THE GOOD OLD BOYS CLUB" saving his butt, he would be out of a job. LIKE HE SHOULD BE!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North St. Paul Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Report: 3 arrested in burglary spree that spans... (Sep '10) May 13 love 107
Attorney reviews Thorsen's police report, decli... May 5 NSPpoo 1
Lipstick on the snowman Feb '15 Answer 1
News Maplewood Home Depot may switch from Xcel to No... (Sep '14) Jan '15 Answer 2
News Ramsey County city races: Vadnais Heights mayor... (Nov '14) Nov '14 Drunkin Henry 1
News Widow, police chief clash over tribute pin (Oct '10) Oct '14 keren happ 208
News North St. Paul pins hopes on building fiber opt... (Jan '09) Jul '14 Turk 1,754
More from around the web

North St. Paul People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]