Memorial-pin request by North St. Paul police officer's widow is declined

Oct 20, 2010 Full story: TwinCities.com 46

Officer Rick Crittenden The North St. Paul City Council says it won't change a uniform policy that is prohibiting police officers from continuing to wear a memorial pin for a slain colleague.

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
DISGUSTED W THE CITY

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Oct 21, 2010
Shame on the City of North St Paul’s City Manager, Police Chief and City Council. After Officer Crittenden’s wife spoke at the City Council meeting Tuesday, the mayor and city council refused to let the public speak during open forum. Apparently, it's okay with them that Officer Rick Crittenden‘s, purple heart, and other awards of honor, were on the floor in the chief of police's closet for ten months following his death. Apparently, it’s okay that the Chief of Police bully a local business that supported her petition to let officers wear Rick‘s memorial pin. Shame on the city Chaplain, when you said your prayer, you should have included Christine and her family. You’ve had breakfast with her and Rick, and Tuesday night as she sat in front of you, you prayed to keep Officer Burrell who's leaving for Afghanistan safe, but didn't say one word about Christine and her family that had lost a loved one. When you prayed for city council members and the city manager and asked for guidance in helping them make the right decisions, obviously “our father” wasn’t listening because the wrong decisions were made by the city council, mayor and the city manager. And most of all shame on the North St Paul Chief of Police for not having the courtesy to respond to anything in person. This city ADMIN has been nothing but DISRESPECTFUL to Christine, and I feel sorry for the police that have to work in our city under Lauth and the city Manager. The Mayor is just as bad as they are and they should all be replaced. Did you know they silenced some of the live broadcast?!
Carbon Hoof Print

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Oct 21, 2010
Thank you for bring up the invocation prayer point. I thought I was the only one who caught that.

Not everyone gets into Heaven. The gate is narrow and those that one might think are going to Heaven won't, and those that shouldn't will--Excellent point, which shows the utter hypocrisy of the people who portend to be our leaders.

I plan to fashion up a picket sign--walk the steps of city hall and castigate the them all. What good will it do? It will do me good. Too many people just sit around and wait for the other guy to say something or do something. If you want real hope and change you have chase after it and grab a hold of it yourself. That's the way this country was founded--By rugged individuals who made/make selfless sacrifices. Like fallen officer Rick and officer/American soldier Burrell.

This whole thing lies at the foot of the council and the Mayor.

The utter arrogance by the council and their weak countenance is an utter shame. What a display.

I call for the entire CITY COUNCIL to resign.

I have no respect for these people, NONE.
North Saint Paul News

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Oct 21, 2010
nonsense

AOL

#4 Oct 21, 2010
Wasn't there so I will be limited to the quotes from the article.

"Whether it is right or wrong, it is not our decision to make," spineless city council member Terry Furlong was quoted as saying. Come on, Furlong, you must have an opinion. Stand up and be a man rather than just another rubber stamp for the other deer in the headlights members of the council.

"Council members said this week that after Mayor Kuehn pointed out North St. Paul ran on a city manager form of government, they had to respect boundaries." Who the hell works for who in this city? Do we elect representatives to only do the bidding of the city administration? Appears that the Prime Minister has the council working at his pleasure rather than the opposite. Why in God's name do we even need a city council?

I won't even mention councilmen Zick's comments. If it wasn't for the food shelf reports, an honorable activity, the boring, never ending regional cable television council reports, and the reports on meetings to prevent the next Al Qaeda's attack from being visited on North St. Paul, I am not sure what he does except for being a lapdog to Kuehn.

What a sad state of affairs!
Carbon Hoof Print

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Oct 21, 2010
Don't underestimate this woman..
North Saint Paul News wrote:
nonsense

AOL

#6 Oct 21, 2010
Carbon Hoof Print wrote:
Don't underestimate this woman..
<quoted text>
Is there the slimest of a chance that she is a resident of NSP? I don't think there is an employee or a spouse of a NSP employee who actually lives in the city that employs them
blindman

Lady Lake, FL

#8 Oct 21, 2010
stick around!
DISGUSTED W THE CITY

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Oct 21, 2010
The only one that had the guts to say anything was Jan Walzcak, she said she thought the public should be able to speak. The mayor rudely interved and said no. The sad part is these are our elected officials - and they don't care what we think.

The mayor kept repeating how the council "needed to leave things to the professionals." Well if they aren't professional, and they can't even speak, or make a decision what good are they? Most of them just sat there with blank looks on their faces.

I personally think the council should fire the city manager because in a PLAN B government the city council can do that. Walter Wysopal makes way too much many and way to many uneducated decisions.

What Mike Kuehn said was a bunch of bull, they could have voted on the petition, they have the right to make policies, he just was making excuses. I totally agree that Mike Kuehn SHOULD RESIGN,and so should most of the other members especially the one that said "oh I agree with you Mike" I think he even shook Mike's hand. That was the only thing he said the entire night.

WAKE UP North ST Paul, and elect the right officials, in fact, please don't vote for anyone on the ballot that is currently on the city council.
BULLSEYE

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Oct 21, 2010
EL OH EL wrote:
Get over it lady. Time to move on.
You are an ass.

Tom Lauth and Walter Wysopal have been incredibly disrepectful to Christine Crittenden, her family and the memory of Officer Crittenden. Tom Lauth won't even address Christine, show up at a City Council Meeting about, discuss the pin issue, and didn't even have the courtesy to speak at the unveiling of the memorial statue, which he didn't want put up in the first place. He went to a local store and told them they needed to take the petition down. If the city manager was managing the city, he would have advised Tom Lauth, it would be in the best interest of the city to personally respond, and perhaps even apologize.

The North St Paul officers are not treated fairly by the Chief of Police, ask them about their new work schedules!? Ask them about how they had to go work the day after Officer Crittenden's death, despite the fact several local law enforcement officers volunteered to help out? Ask what he said when they approached him about the pin issue? Ask them about the kinds of things Tom Lauth writes officers up for? Or ask one for a copy of the memo demanding they not wear the pins.

If you cross Tom Lauth as a citizen you pay, so I can only imagine what it's like if you are an employee. I complained once and since then we have felt like a city target. They towed my husbands car, claiming it was parked in the same spot for 12 hours, which it wasn't, it had been moved within the 12 hour time frame, and the tow truck company told him "they must really have it out for you" "they said to keep it as long as you can and make you jump through hoops to get it back", another time they towed my boat, without even so much as a warning ticket, and then tried to tow it from where I moved it too after paying to get it out of the cities municipal lot - less than 12 hours later - which was parked in Maplewood - not even North St Paul's jurisdiction, and which was parked in a place where I had obtained permission to park it for the day. A Maplewood officer said "boy, someone must really have it out for you". You can't complain to the city manager because he's on Tom's side and the city council doesn't do anything either.

The chief of police left awards of honor including a purple heart on the floor in a closet for 10 months! If you had a loved one that died on the job, would it bother you that their awards were laying in their bosses closet floor?!

Oh, and ask the people that bring their cars to the North St Paul Friday night car shows what they think of Tom Lauth. I'm sure they love it when he orders his officers to mark their expensive collectible car tires with chalk "in case they park their car too long".

It's not just about the pins! And how dare you tell her to get over it lady.
Ellne

Minneapolis, MN

#11 Oct 22, 2010
It's been clear all along this was never just about the pin. If you want Wysopal fired you need to make a case he's not making decisions that will achieve the goals and priorities set by the council. That case doesn't revolve around a police policy about pins on uniforms. A policy put in place over a year ago. Or around employees not liking their work schedules or having what some consider an insensitive boss. The police department isn't a social club or hobby group, it's a tough job. The statement "get over it" is right on if it's recommending you stop focusing on the pin policy which the council could not direct the police chief to change. Nothing said at that council meeting convinced me not allowing the option to wear a pin was harmful to city goals or priorities. Wysopal made a reasonable case and policy is driven by reason, not emotion.

BTW: We don't have employees quitting in droves because they just can't stand the work environment. That doesn't help make the case.
Carbon Hoof Print

Minneapolis, MN

#12 Oct 22, 2010
I thought I was hard core.
BULLSEYE wrote:
<quoted text>
You are an ass.
Tom Lauth and Walter Wysopal have been incredibly disrepectful to Christine Crittenden, her family and the memory of Officer Crittenden. Tom Lauth won't even address Christine, show up at a City Council Meeting about, discuss the pin issue, and didn't even have the courtesy to speak at the unveiling of the memorial statue, which he didn't want put up in the first place. He went to a local store and told them they needed to take the petition down. If the city manager was managing the city, he would have advised Tom Lauth, it would be in the best interest of the city to personally respond, and perhaps even apologize.
The North St Paul officers are not treated fairly by the Chief of Police, ask them about their new work schedules!? Ask them about how they had to go work the day after Officer Crittenden's death, despite the fact several local law enforcement officers volunteered to help out? Ask what he said when they approached him about the pin issue? Ask them about the kinds of things Tom Lauth writes officers up for? Or ask one for a copy of the memo demanding they not wear the pins.
If you cross Tom Lauth as a citizen you pay, so I can only imagine what it's like if you are an employee. I complained once and since then we have felt like a city target. They towed my husbands car, claiming it was parked in the same spot for 12 hours, which it wasn't, it had been moved within the 12 hour time frame, and the tow truck company told him "they must really have it out for you" "they said to keep it as long as you can and make you jump through hoops to get it back", another time they towed my boat, without even so much as a warning ticket, and then tried to tow it from where I moved it too after paying to get it out of the cities municipal lot - less than 12 hours later - which was parked in Maplewood - not even North St Paul's jurisdiction, and which was parked in a place where I had obtained permission to park it for the day. A Maplewood officer said "boy, someone must really have it out for you". You can't complain to the city manager because he's on Tom's side and the city council doesn't do anything either.
The chief of police left awards of honor including a purple heart on the floor in a closet for 10 months! If you had a loved one that died on the job, would it bother you that their awards were laying in their bosses closet floor?!
Oh, and ask the people that bring their cars to the North St Paul Friday night car shows what they think of Tom Lauth. I'm sure they love it when he orders his officers to mark their expensive collectible car tires with chalk "in case they park their car too long".
It's not just about the pins! And how dare you tell her to get over it lady.
Carbon Hoof Print

Minneapolis, MN

#13 Oct 22, 2010
Ouch, I think I'm going to get blamed for this.
DISGUSTED W THE CITY wrote:
The only one that had the guts to say anything was Jan Walzcak, she said she thought the public should be able to speak. The mayor rudely interved and said no. The sad part is these are our elected officials - and they don't care what we think.
The mayor kept repeating how the council "needed to leave things to the professionals." Well if they aren't professional, and they can't even speak, or make a decision what good are they? Most of them just sat there with blank looks on their faces.
I personally think the council should fire the city manager because in a PLAN B government the city council can do that. Walter Wysopal makes way too much many and way to many uneducated decisions.
What Mike Kuehn said was a bunch of bull, they could have voted on the petition, they have the right to make policies, he just was making excuses. I totally agree that Mike Kuehn SHOULD RESIGN,and so should most of the other members especially the one that said "oh I agree with you Mike" I think he even shook Mike's hand. That was the only thing he said the entire night.
WAKE UP North ST Paul, and elect the right officials, in fact, please don't vote for anyone on the ballot that is currently on the city council.
Logan

Minneapolis, MN

#14 Oct 22, 2010
It is sad to see someone who is grieving so terribly at the loss of her husband say such terrible things about the city administration that so clearly supported her and so clearly memorialized her husband's death.

I hate to see people make fools out of themselves when they are grieving. It just makes it worse when they realize how foolish they look, years down the line.
BULLSEYE

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Oct 22, 2010
Ellne wrote:
It's been clear all along this was never just about the pin. If you want Wysopal fired you need to make a case he's not making decisions that will achieve the goals and priorities set by the council. That case doesn't revolve around a police policy about pins on uniforms. A policy put in place over a year ago. Or around employees not liking their work schedules or having what some consider an insensitive boss. The police department isn't a social club or hobby group, it's a tough job. The statement "get over it" is right on if it's recommending you stop focusing on the pin policy which the council could not direct the police chief to change. Nothing said at that council meeting convinced me not allowing the option to wear a pin was harmful to city goals or priorities. Wysopal made a reasonable case and policy is driven by reason, not emotion.
BTW: We don't have employees quitting in droves because they just can't stand the work environment. That doesn't help make the case.
The statement "GET OVER IT" was extremely inconsiderate, to say to someone that lost their husband in the line of duty. I guarantee you does not reflect how most of the citizens of North St Paul feel. It's horribly disrepectful. I am a taxpayer of this city, and I respect and appreciate the officers of the North St Paul Police force. I can only imagine how they must have felt going to work each day knowing that if it were them that had happened to their awards might be laying on the floor of a closet too. The Mayor really upset alot of people on Tuesday that attended that meeting by not letting anyone else speak. I could go on, but you're not worth explaining it too...
BTW: I'm sure their aren't employees quitting in droves, jobs are tough to find.
BULLSEYE

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Oct 22, 2010
Carbon Hoof Print wrote:
I thought I was hard core.
<quoted text>
LOL...I guess I've had things bottled up about this city for way too long. The Mayor/city council not letting any one speak on Tuesday was just the final straw. The taxpayers should know what really goes on.
BULLSEYE

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Oct 22, 2010
Logan wrote:
It is sad to see someone who is grieving so terribly at the loss of her husband say such terrible things about the city administration that so clearly supported her and so clearly memorialized her husband's death.
I hate to see people make fools out of themselves when they are grieving. It just makes it worse when they realize how foolish they look, years down the line.
What terrible things did she say? The truth?! Yes, the truth is pretty terrible.
proud son in law

Bottineau, ND

#18 Oct 22, 2010
Let me tell you about the chief. For starters, he was NEVER once at the house the whole week before the funeral. Our family was there along with numerous other officers. At most of the fund raisers for DC, once again the chief was no where to be found. The trip to DC, you guessed it not there either. If anyone is naive enough to believe the chief and the city manager are looking out for the family then I have some ocean front property in ND to sell you. This is so much deeper than anyone can imagine. From low numbers of officers on duty that day, to a judge's bad decision to let Dockery out of jail just 2 days earlier. So when you say it's not just about a pin you're right. It is about making sure this never happens to another officer EVER AGAIN!!!!!! Those of you with positive comments thank you for your support.
nonsense

AOL

#19 Oct 22, 2010
Do you think there might be a new Wikipedia entry in a couple of weeks under the title "North St. Paul Mayoral Election, 2010" which basically follows the story line of:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraqi_presidenti...
Carbon Hoof Print

Minneapolis, MN

#21 Oct 23, 2010
Mike Kuehn = Saddam Huessein THAT's BRUTAL

The Iraqi presidential election of 1995 took place on October 15 of that year. It was the first presidential election under the rule of Saddam Hussein, who had taken power in 1979. Taking the
form of a referendum with no opposition candidates, the election involved giving voters paper ballots that said: "Do you agree that Saddam Hussein should be the president of the Republic of Iraq for another seven years?" They then used pens to mark "yes" or "no".[1] The next day, Izzat Ibrahim, Hussein's deputy in the ruling Revolutionary Command Council (RCC), announced the incumbent had won 99.96% of some 8.4 million valid votes cast. Officially, 3,052 people voted against him (45 of them in Baghdad[2]),[3] and turnout was 99.47%.[4] The international community reacted with widespread incredulity to these figures.[5]
Carbon Hoof Print

Minneapolis, MN

#22 Oct 23, 2010
If you are really who you say you are.

I have 10,000 to donate to Christine to run for Mayor in four years.

I will work non stop to help her help us- She is made out of some tough material--just what we need.

I grew up in WBL and I will be sending a letter to lay out a plan and my offer to set up a campaign fund.

We will have a hundred people swarming every house and venue in NSP for a year prior to the next election.

4 years is not too long to wait-- we don't have much choice unless Mike does us a favor and dies or is recalled.
proud son in law wrote:
Let me tell you about the chief. For starters, he was NEVER once at the house the whole week before the funeral. Our family was there along with numerous other officers. At most of the fund raisers for DC, once again the chief was no where to be found. The trip to DC, you guessed it not there either. If anyone is naive enough to believe the chief and the city manager are looking out for the family then I have some ocean front property in ND to sell you. This is so much deeper than anyone can imagine. From low numbers of officers on duty that day, to a judge's bad decision to let Dockery out of jail just 2 days earlier. So when you say it's not just about a pin you're right. It is about making sure this never happens to another officer EVER AGAIN!!!!!! Those of you with positive comments thank you for your support.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North St. Paul Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fall colors in the Twin Cities: where to find them Sep 29 Blackbama 1
Maplewood Home Depot may switch from Xcel to No... Sep 28 Patty Piles 1
MN Who do you support for Governor in Minnesota in... (Oct '10) Aug '14 Go Blue Forever 848
North St. Paul pins hopes on building fiber opt... (Jan '09) Jul '14 Turk 1,754
Cops break up check forgery ring; 13 charged (Dec '10) Apr '14 Missmedezi 87
Legislation would rename Hwy. 36 in North St. P... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Joe Blow 3
Tarah Louise Schmahl booked on multiple charges (Dec '13) Dec '13 Local Jail Blotter 1
North St. Paul Dating
Find my Match

North St. Paul Jobs

North St. Paul People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

North St. Paul News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in North St. Paul

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]