Charge reduced against Little Canada ...

Charge reduced against Little Canada driver who struck, killed ...

There are 223 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jun 20, 2008, titled Charge reduced against Little Canada driver who struck, killed .... In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

A grand jury rejected a felony vehicular homicide charge against a Little Canada woman Friday, instead indicting her on a lesser, misdemeanor charge of careless driving in the December death of a 7-year-old ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 12
Next Last
Saint Paul Girl

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Jun 21, 2008
Of course Linda Fahey only got a slap on the hand...she is the ex mayor of little canada's wife...money talks...
Those 3 surviving brothers witnessed their brothers death and will never forget it.
I work w/ the mother of these boys. She is a wreck. Why were the kids out at 10 at night? They were w/ their 16 yr old brother and walked 2 blocks to a friends to pick up a game that belonged to them.
While I agree Linda Fayey is not a typical criminal she needs to pay up to this family. She first blamed it on the boys. She hit them like bowling pins.
She forever changed this family...and needs to own up to the fact she was partying and fell asleep at the wheel.
LC res

Dayton, MN

#2 Jun 21, 2008
Saint Paul Girl wrote:
She first blamed it on the boys. She hit them like bowling pins.
It was an ACCIDENT. How do you think Mrs. Fahey feels. It is a bad situation for everyone involved. Do you honestly believe that this doesn't haunt her every day, think about it before you open your mouth. If you have ever driven on Labore, you cannot see a thing until it is right in front of you. You are very insensitive and ignorant. You should be ashamed of yourself for posting that comment
another LC resident

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Jun 21, 2008
While I do not think the Mrs. Fahey should go to jail (what purpose would it serve? It can not punish her more than knowing what she did, and it certainly will not change the outcome of the evening) I do think that there should be some civil reparations.

LC res said it him/herself "If you have ever driven on Labore, you cannot see a thing until it is right in front of you." especially in the winter at night. Mrs Fahey has been down that road thousands of times and knows the in's and outs of it. Sure, it was an accident, but it should never have happened in the 1st place. You do not hit 4 people on a 30 mph road unless you are not paying attention, going to fast, or are distracted/asleep. We will never know. Maybe no one knows.

But, we do know something went terribly wrong that evening. Maybe a lot of things. A little boy died. His family was forever changed. The Fahey's lives were changed. A lot of families lives were changed. We can not go back and fix it. I can not drive that road without sadness. Can you imagine how it feels for the Austin's?

Not that it will make the Austins feel complete, but once the criminal phase of this is over, I would fully expect a civil trial.

My heart aches for all involved.

“Christina is here!”

Since: Apr 08

St Paul

#4 Jun 21, 2008
if the was just the "average" citizen...I highly doubt the felony charge would have been dropped. Why is she pleading not guilty to the misdemeanor? Why is she not taking ressponsibility for her actions? She KILLED the boy, she needs to face some kind of consequences.
Ms K

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Jun 21, 2008
I'm sure she is just doing what her lawyer is telling her to do. Also, she is an average citizen, she's not royalty. Just because her husband WAS the mayor, doesn't mean they have money or are high society. What a ridiculous assumption.
Accidents happen, prices will be paid. End of story.
Ms Rosemount wrote:
if the was just the "average" citizen...I highly doubt the felony charge would have been dropped. Why is she pleading not guilty to the misdemeanor? Why is she not taking ressponsibility for her actions? She KILLED the boy, she needs to face some kind of consequences.
Former LC resident

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Jun 21, 2008
I'm really surprised that anyone has an opinion other than deep sympathy for all the families involved ... I wouldn't want to be in either family's shoes. Withhold your judgments and let the healing process begin.
Cindy Stainker

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Jun 21, 2008
Saint Paul Girl wrote:
Of course Linda Fahey only got a slap on the hand...she is the ex mayor of little canada's wife...money talks...
Those 3 surviving brothers witnessed their brothers death and will never forget it.
I work w/ the mother of these boys. She is a wreck. Why were the kids out at 10 at night? They were w/ their 16 yr old brother and walked 2 blocks to a friends to pick up a game that belonged to them.
While I agree Linda Fayey is not a typical criminal she needs to pay up to this family. She first blamed it on the boys. She hit them like bowling pins.
She forever changed this family...and needs to own up to the fact she was partying and fell asleep at the wheel.
The news article says although they were at a party, no alcohol was involved, and that this was inattentive driving due to the fact that she was looking at Christmas lights. On such a dark road, as Labore is, she should have been paying more attention. Especially because it is dark, and being winter, parts of the road may also have been slippery. I don't know this of course, because I wasn't there. I am not defending Mrs Fayeys' actions, I think she was irrisponsibe, and how much of the news article you care to believe is up to you, but reread what is in the article.
JustTheFactsMaam

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Jun 21, 2008
Somebody stop that turnip truck! A few yokels just fell off! Are you kidding me when you describe Ms. Fahey as a politically connected, "non regular citizen" because she is married to a 'former mayor' of the megalopolis we know as Little Canada? LOL!!! Somebody give the NY Times a call so that they catch wind of this modern day Chappaquiddick conspiracy. Our politically connected elite are being protected by our corrupt judicial system!
LC Mom

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Jun 21, 2008
There but for the grace of God...
I believe that those who think that they are immune from involvement in an accident such as this should feel free to criticize and throw stones and soon enough the universe will remind you otherwise. This accident was a combination of truly unfortunate circumstances in which some responsibility can be borne by ALL involved parties.
You can sit here all day in judgement if it makes you feel good about yourself. Me, I think I will go hug my kid...
Sadness

Minneapolis, MN

#11 Jun 21, 2008
Saint Paul Girl wrote:
Of course Linda Fahey only got a slap on the hand...she is the ex mayor of little canada's wife...money talks...
Those 3 surviving brothers witnessed their brothers death and will never forget it.
I work w/ the mother of these boys. She is a wreck. Why were the kids out at 10 at night? They were w/ their 16 yr old brother and walked 2 blocks to a friends to pick up a game that belonged to them.
While I agree Linda Fayey is not a typical criminal she needs to pay up to this family. She first blamed it on the boys. She hit them like bowling pins.
She forever changed this family...and needs to own up to the fact she was partying and fell asleep at the wheel.
Those kids should not have been out on that dark road with no shoulder in winter at that time of night no matter who they were with or what they were doing. Who is owning up to that part in the accident? I believe the curfew laws one exception is when kids are on their way to or from work. They were not.
I really don't think the blame game serves a purpose in thie tragedy, but there is plenty of that to go around if you want to open that can of worms.
I hope that your statement that Mrs Fahey should pay does not indicate where this is heading. How much do you think it will take to replace Jacob? Or even make anyone feel better? I can tell you it can't be done by cashing a check. And then how much do you suppose your friend should pay to Mrs Fahey or even her own family for not supervising her kids appropriately and putting them in harms way?
J me

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Jun 21, 2008
Being the mother of a six year old boy, my heart goes out to the family of the victims of this horrible trajedy. As for Linda Fahey, I hope she realizes that she took an innocent life and should be spending the rest of her life suffering in a prison cell. Looking at Christmas lights!?! Come on... This is obviously criminal vehicular homicide - though it was negligent driving on her part and no alcohol or drugs were in her system - she still took a life behind the wheel of a vehicle. Hense the term CRIMINAL VEHICULAR HOMICIDE. The Criminal Justice system really dropped the ball on this one.
Disgusted

Des Moines, IA

#13 Jun 22, 2008
Oh my god, you thought you hit a deer? And you were'nt blitzed? Your husband must have some real connections. How could you not see 4 boys? Did you have your headlights out? I am so sorry to the families. You must be going nuts! I am just shocked!
Disgusted

Des Moines, IA

#14 Jun 22, 2008
And a boo hoo for Mrs. Fahey. You know what? All you LC residents, if it were a black, hispanic or any other person of color, you would be on it, but Mrs. Fahey didn't know, she was looking at Christmas lights, she is hurting too. Give me a break. She killed a little boy. Like I said, if she were a person of color, she would be charged to the fullest extent of the law. I don't feel bad for her, I feel bad for the mom who has lost her baby. Get a grip, LC, she killed somebody.

Since: May 08

Minneapolis, MN

#15 Jun 22, 2008
J me wrote:
Being the mother of a six year old boy, my heart goes out to the family of the victims of this horrible trajedy. As for Linda Fahey, I hope she realizes that she took an innocent life and should be spending the rest of her life suffering in a prison cell. Looking at Christmas lights!?! Come on... This is obviously criminal vehicular homicide - though it was negligent driving on her part and no alcohol or drugs were in her system - she still took a life behind the wheel of a vehicle. Hense the term CRIMINAL VEHICULAR HOMICIDE. The Criminal Justice system really dropped the ball on this one.
Oh come on! You want a life sentence of this woman suffering in a prison cell? That sentence is reserved for crimes like intentional first degree murder. Think about the individual who intentionally murders someone. How do you propose to compare the two deaths when one is intentional and one is accidental? Answer? You can't compare the two! That is why no life sentence is ever leveled against someone who is the cause of an accident. It was negligent, but an accident.
SOME1 WHO KNOWS THE FACTS

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Jun 22, 2008
Here are the facts people, stop with the BS!
1. The police report stated that there were NO christmas lights on display within a block and half of the scene of the accident, so the statement that she was looking at lights is COMPLETELY FABRICATED.
2. The charges were dropped because there was evidence from TWO WITNESSES who received a phone call from the boys AT THE TIME OF THE ACCIDENT that suggested that these boys were SCREWING AROUND in the street. like most boys do.
4. The mother of the boys SAID she hired a sitter for her kids, giving a FALSE name. she was trying to cover her ass because she wasn't there when her kids were running around the streets at 10:30 pm. Her 15-year old should have been the responsible one in charge, but he is still a minor.
4. THis family has received warnings from neighbors that these chilren do not own the road should NOT be playing in the street. I personally have seen these kids skateboarding and riding their bikes all over this street, and it is NOT safe.
3. It is not a matter of her negligent driving, it's a matter of a TRAGIC ACCIDENT. She was NOT driving with negligence - PLAIN AND SIMPLE.
Who's to say that these boys were not joking around and pushing each other into the street?!!? SERIOUSLY. STOP RUNNING YOUR MOUTH UNTIL YOU KNOW ALL THE DETAILS! YOU WERE NOT THERE.
the charges were dropped, so leave her alone. obviously the judge has more evidence than all of you ignorant people trying to point the finger of blame at someone who is sincerely innocent. I'm sick of this!!!!
Bob

Delano, MN

#17 Jun 22, 2008
A friend was stopped pulling a trailer with rock on it. He was 1,000 over the limit. They cited him and he was charged with a misdemeanor and paid a fine. NO ONE WAS HURT, THERE WAS NO WRECK.

There IS a caste system of justice in this country.

This woman was NOT looking where she was going and KILLED a boy.

When ya get behind the wheel of a 3,000 pound car that is a murder weapon you MUST LOOK WHERE YOUR DRIVING THE WEAPON!!!!

If you shoot a gun pointed at a boy and he dies you are charged with MUDER!!!!

The judicial system is FOR SALE! If ya got the money for expensive attornies you WALK scott free, remember OJ!!!
SOME1 WHO KNOWS THE FACTS

Saint Paul, MN

#18 Jun 22, 2008
"obviously" is not a term you are allowed to use. you do not know the facts. Look up the definition of "criminal vehicular homicide," get ALL the facts, and THEN point your finger. You'll find yourself unable to do so justly.

Everyone reading this needs to understand that the media is, was, and always will be BIASED. They do NOT report the entire truth, and instead report fabrications and assumptions.

I am EXTREMELY disgusted with the way the Pioneer Press and other news media resources have chosen to report this, because they are giving out false information and perpetuating the backlash of vengeful people like yourself.

FACT: Linda did not hit all four boys.
FACT: Linda was not looking at christmas lights.
FACT: Linda was not driving over the speed limit.
FACT: Linda did not swerve onto the shoulder.
FACT: Linda did not drink one drop of alochol that night.
FACT: Linda did not fall asleep at the wheel.
FACT: Jacob's mother lied to the police about hiring a babysitter.
FACT: The eldest of the children made a phone call from a cell phone that night at the scene of the accident, which proved Linda innocent.
FACT: A little boy died in a tragic accident. two families have been forever changed... nothing will reverse what's happened.

People who are trying to play the race-card need to realize that it is completely irrelevant. She is not being treated special by ANY means because she is a white middle-class woman or because her husband was the mayor, and it is absoutely ridiculous for anyone to think so. The fact that such charges were even brought up against her in the first place is appalling. You all don't know the facts, and you say she should spend the rest of her life in jail... I pity all of you for your cold hearts and unwavering vengeance, it will get you NOWHERE. and none of you have any right to cast such judgment on her.
Cannotbitemytong ue

Los Angeles, CA

#19 Jun 22, 2008
"A slap on the wrist because she is the ex-mayor's wife...Money Talks"??? When did being the Mayor of Little Canada put you in Fortune Magazine's list of the top ten wealthiest people? Don't you realize that her husband served as mayor as a SERVICE to his community? You are so ignorant that it is infuriating.

Linda did not get off because of political connections. Give me a break. The criminal charge was reduced because it never should have been served from the get-go and thankfully the grand jury had enough knowledge and wisdom to see that.

The Grand Jury heard the FACTS and has spoken.

Leave Linda alone and let the healing process begin.

Since: May 08

Minneapolis, MN

#20 Jun 23, 2008
SOME1 WHO KNOWS THE FACTS wrote:
Here are the facts people, stop with the BS!
1. The police report stated that there were NO christmas lights on display within a block and half of the scene of the accident, so the statement that she was looking at lights is COMPLETELY FABRICATED.
2. The charges were dropped because there was evidence from TWO WITNESSES who received a phone call from the boys AT THE TIME OF THE ACCIDENT that suggested that these boys were SCREWING AROUND in the street. like most boys do.
4. The mother of the boys SAID she hired a sitter for her kids, giving a FALSE name. she was trying to cover her ass because she wasn't there when her kids were running around the streets at 10:30 pm. Her 15-year old should have been the responsible one in charge, but he is still a minor.
4. THis family has received warnings from neighbors that these chilren do not own the road should NOT be playing in the street. I personally have seen these kids skateboarding and riding their bikes all over this street, and it is NOT safe.
3. It is not a matter of her negligent driving, it's a matter of a TRAGIC ACCIDENT. She was NOT driving with negligence - PLAIN AND SIMPLE.
Who's to say that these boys were not joking around and pushing each other into the street?!!? SERIOUSLY. STOP RUNNING YOUR MOUTH UNTIL YOU KNOW ALL THE DETAILS! YOU WERE NOT THERE.
the charges were dropped, so leave her alone. obviously the judge has more evidence than all of you ignorant people trying to point the finger of blame at someone who is sincerely innocent. I'm sick of this!!!!
#1, people usually point the finger because of what the media releases in the way of information.#2, just because you have "insiders" information doesn't mean everyone else would have that as well.

You can correct people by just providing the missed information. You don't have to name-call in the process. You CAN'T be considered "ignorant" if you haven't been informed or haven't received all of the pertinent information. You CAN be considered "ignorant" if you HAVE been informed and choose to ignore the information. Big difference. Thanks for the new information. You could have just provided the information without being abusive of people in the process.
Bob

Chanhassen, MN

#21 Jun 23, 2008
So everyone might as well turn off their headlights because you need not look where your going.

You have NO responsibility to use you brakes or steering to avoid hitting anything in the road!

The question for Linda: where were you looking so as to miss seeing 4 kids on the road?

BTW my wife refuses to drive at night because she isn't comfortable with not being able to see well.

Can Linda see well at night?

Lots of kids walk in the road, not many get hit!

In fact a grandkid ran into the street after dark and a driver drove into a snowbank to miss him. That makes a driver!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North St. Paul Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NSP electric utility scam Jan 6 Walls work 2
John Schmal award Jan 3 Walls work 1
NSP roads are terrible Dec 29 FBI Dirty - Trump... 1
News Police Responded to White Bear Lake Home 49 Tim... (Aug '15) Dec '17 Lovergates 8
Scott T gave up Dec '17 Franken is TOAST 2
City Hits Snag Buying Troubled House (Jul '17) Nov '17 Interesting Post 6
Class B License (Jun '17) Jun '17 reddheadbabe 1

North St. Paul Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

North St. Paul Mortgages