North St. Paul pins hopes on building fiber optic network as bo...

North St. Paul leaders are dreaming of a time when every home in the Ramsey County suburb is wired for a high-tech future. Full Story
First Prev
of 88
Next Last
Richard Daniels

AOL

#1 Jan 10, 2009
Being an NSTP resident since 1995, I only seen my TV/Phone/ Internet cost's soar from the likes of Comcast.
I would be one of the first to suscribe if city taxpayers had a say so in ongong rising rates that may apply.
RD
Adam

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Jan 10, 2009
Residents of North St. Paul would be wise to speak out & reject this proposal. This has been in the works for sometime and we will then be obliged to pay our bill through the City. Anyone who lives in NSP knows what that means; added fees. I do not want this city controlling anymore than they already do. Contact the Mayor and Council and let them know you are against this Duddeck generated plan.
Turk

Plymouth, MN

#3 Jan 10, 2009
North Saint Paul will implement this like the bulk item program.

The city will charge all residents if they use the service or not, unless of course you know somebody in city hall like Duddeck.

So keep quiet and be prepared to pay $40 a month for a service if you use it or not.

RD if you think the North Saint Paul service will be less expansive than Comcast remember YOU pay $10 a month more for your North Saint Paul electricity service than if you bought it from Excel.

This is another scam by the city to line it's pockets with $$$$$$$$$$

Express your concern or be prepared to open your wallet.
Bob the Bilderberg

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Jan 10, 2009
Ths is a stupid idea. The future of high-speed communications, TV and internet connection is satellite service, paid for by individual users.

Government-run, taxpayer-financed, distributed services is 19th century methods and technology.

Somebody should educate their local politicians.
Turk

Plymouth, MN

#5 Jan 10, 2009
Thanks for the info,

Unfortunatlly it is possible to talk to the elected and North Saint Paul employees but they don't have the capacity to understand why "their" idea isn't a good one.

They will roll this out and then charge ALL residents for the service because it will only work IF everyone pays for the service.

They do that all the time and the City manager drives a new SUV and has a gas card to boot, you know living in Edina is a bit of a drive.

There is also Scott Duddeck who wears 3 hats and some say he draws MUCH more salary than the governor of Minnesota. Of course the city is very LARGE at 11,000+ residents. Of course the city provides electric service at a cost of $10 per month than Excel charges. Add that up and the city is taking in $1,000,000 a year which must be why taxes in North Saint Paul are at the top end of metro average.

The town is building a house, for what reason??

Ya ya were out of here ASAP!!!

==========
Bob the Bilderberg wrote:
Ths is a stupid idea. The future of high-speed communications, TV and internet connection is satellite service, paid for by individual users.
Government-run, taxpayer-financed, distributed services is 19th century methods and technology.
Somebody should educate their local politicians.
Unclefogey

AOL

#6 Jan 13, 2009
RD. You failed to read the article. Your friend Wally plainly stated that the charges for the N.St. Paul services will not be cheaper than the other providers. And as others who posted comments here have stated, North Saint Paul intends to add in its own charges to your monthly bill which will be used to offset the reduction of LGA payments from the state.
Sam

Plymouth, MN

#7 Jan 13, 2009
North Saint Paul doesn't need LGA. The town already makes a cool MILLION+ off the electric utility it runs.

The towns ONLY motivation is to create a new CASH COW in order to reward the towns employees and elected with $$$$$$$$$$

Rumor has it Duddeck makes more than the governor!!

This is a town that implements a bulk item pickup program which costs all residents each month if you use it or not. I make money off it by getting rid of friends bulk items from other towns and charging them, a good plan for me.

The fibre service will cost EVERYONE in North Saint Paul if you use it or not, if that is an option.

Because the town will use profits from electric sales to build the fibre network, the ripoffs continue.

The town has done NO market analysis prior to rollout so the cost will come from residents one way or another. WATCH!!!!!

==========
Unclefogey wrote:
RD. You failed to read the article. Your friend Wally plainly stated that the charges for the N.St. Paul services will not be cheaper than the other providers. And as others who posted comments here have stated, North Saint Paul intends to add in its own charges to your monthly bill which will be used to offset the reduction of LGA payments from the state.
Mary

Plymouth, MN

#8 Jan 14, 2009
A sad day when government is running amuck!!

And they can do it without going to the voters for their approval.

Like when the schools need more money they have to go to the voters and ask for it.

The town can just borrow money and install the fibre even thou they did NO market research etc..
Mary

Plymouth, MN

#9 Jan 14, 2009
A friend and network expert indicates the future of networking is in wireless.

Fibre is obsolete NOW.

“Take Back Your City”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#10 Jan 15, 2009
In the coming weeks, North St. Paul plans to identify a company that would provide the services on a city-built network, said Wally Wysopal, city manager. EQUALS........

GIANT KICK BACKS AND IS RELATED TO SKULL DUGGERY BY SCOTT DUDDECK AND DEN OF THIEVES.

HEY BOB THE INTERNET HAS BEEN AROUND FOR 20 EFING
YEARS.

Lets wire all 4,000 crappy little 100 year old houses.

Won't fly you idiot. What Bone head but you voted for the dinosaur>>>>> >>>>
Unclefogey

AOL

#11 Jan 15, 2009
I am against this fiber optic network run by the city of NSP because it will become just another "enterprise activity" designed to build another slush fund to pay for an out of control city government. That is if it ever takes in enough money to produce a slush fund and doesn't go paws up, taking the city and its citizens into bankrupcy.
Having said that, wireless is not the answer. I have spoken to the city of Roseville employee who is designated to try to bring better internet service to the northern Ramsey Cty suburbs and he said that wireles is not the answer. Too many things like trees and topography that get in the way and the need for poles with antennas that cause a lot of heartburn with citizens. If you want to get an idea how wireless works, just ask someone who is trying to get television reception on an analog set by attaching the digital box.
An election on the subject of bonding to build the NSP fiber system will be held on February 24, 2008. This has to be done because it involves the setting up of a phone exchange. This one can't be rammed through like the $5,000,000 for the new garage was.
You didn't know there was to be an election? Join the other 99% of the citizens who also don't know. The citizens of NSP have to be the least informed group of sheep known to mankind. But there is a group of approx. 350 citizens who will be voting and they are the ones chosen on a "random" basis and who provided by their overwhelming positive attitude, the reason for the city to go ahead with this project.
By the way, if you are against this project, you are also against God, mother, country and apple pie. Per the city fathers, this network is being built for the kids of NSP so that they will have the ultimate in educational opportunities and for elderly, ill shutins who want to check their medical records on line to name just a few.
If you want to check the financial plan for the network, the 342 page five pound document is available in the city offices during normql working hours.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#12 Jan 15, 2009
"Be careful when you wrestle with monsters, lest you thereby become one. For, if you stare long enough into the abyss, the abyss also stares into you." Friedrich Nietsche

This is another monumental blunder. Welcome to the Peoples Republic of North Saint Paul.

Render unto Wally!
Mary

Maple Plain, MN

#13 Jan 15, 2009
I use a Qwest land line and dial up service. So I have a home phone line, copper, and internet access for about $25.

That meets my needs 100%.

I have a cell phone with NO contract for 911 service when I'm in the car, that costs $0. If you don't realize, ANY cell phone works for 911 calls and the cost is $0.

Picked up a Westinghouse HD TV and realized there are way to many TV stations out there for free off rabbit ears.

NO Comcast, NO Direct TV and I have %100 of what I need.

I have NO need for any kind of broadband offerring.

IMHO the majority of NSP residents have NO NEED for broadband especially with so many people loosing their jobs and taxes being so high.

I would like to know what happens if NSP borrows $18,500,000 (eightteen million and 500 thousand dollars) to build the fibre network and either noboby buys the service or lots of people do but then discontinue the service.

Who will pay off the $18,500,000?

That loan encumbers each household for about $6,000 if you figure any interest on the loan.

What is the risk?

Did the city planners even consider risk?

What will be the costs of the service?

Will the city require residents to sign up for telephone service?

What if a resident isn't interested in anything the city has to offer?

The city plans to pay off the initial setup costs in 4 years, that my friend is $1,500 per year or over $100 a month per resident assuming everyone buys the service. ALL WON'T!!!

And what ongoing costs are there in addition to the setup costs?

And we all KNOW NSP WILL make a profit on the offerring so Wally and Scott can keep their bonuses and salary going up up up!!

Why would I pay at least $100 more a month for a city service I have NO NEED FOR??

Let's leave the risky telco, TV, Internet service to the current providers and let's see if NSP can figure out how to do a better job of plowing the streets etc.

THIS IS A BAD IDEA!!!

It's time to consolidate NSP and Oakdale.

Get rid of Wally and his bunch and his BIG ideas that Edina residents can afford but are overkill in NSP.

Uncle Sugar

Monroe, LA

#14 Jan 15, 2009
n st.paul's version of the Big Dig
Bob the Bilderberg

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Jan 15, 2009
Hey, I've got an idea! Let's have a city-run buggy-whip factory! And you all have to buy one!
Scott Duddeck the Crook

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Jan 15, 2009
Scott Duddeck is the a freeking moron. Everthing he touches turns to crap, School District, Polar Den, YES the bike tunnel, Silent partner in NSP Land and development Co., proposed City work building the don't need, using city worker and tools to put his pool in and concrete drive way, takin children out of school on false abuse charges, 2 wages, 2 pensions, kick backs and favors, North saint Medical clinc sweet heart deal, 800,000 puchase or cinder block building called hill crest. Webster school athletic field.
Fence had to be torn down and rebuilt because he Gdam expert, former lanscaper, volunteer firment who sucked his way up the ladder to rape and pilage the city for his personal gain. And have not even started.....
anonymous

Saint Paul, MN

#18 Jan 16, 2009
Unclefogey wrote:
An election on the subject of bonding to build the NSP fiber system will be held on February 24, 2008. This has to be done because it involves the setting up of a phone exchange. This one can't be rammed through like the $5,000,000 for the new garage was.
You didn't know there was to be an election? Join the other 99% of the citizens who also don't know. The citizens of NSP have to be the least informed group of sheep known to mankind. But there is a group of approx. 350 citizens who will be voting and they are the ones chosen on a "random" basis and who provided by their overwhelming positive attitude, the reason for the city to go ahead with this project.
It was my understanding due to the phone service they would need to have an election that involved everyone. I thought it would be on the ballot last November, no such luck. Are you telling us that only 350 people are allowed to vote for something that affects the entire city? Doesn't this require a public hearing or something...
Eric E

Saint Paul, MN

#19 Jan 16, 2009
That is Correct sir!

This will be shoved down your throat just like ever thing else.

you will Pay every month even if you don't want or need it....

This city is in stage 4 cancer. Caused by the carcinogen called NSP political Hackery and bobbling blooters.
Unclefogey

AOL

#20 Jan 16, 2009
Comment: It is too bad that a couple of posters to this site have decided to use it to foster their own personal vendettas. And in such a gross manner. I would have hoped this could have been an intelligent conversation about putting a stop to this out of control spending by NSP.

The reference I made to the 350 chosen individuals voting in the election was to emphasize that, at this point, they are the only residents of NSP who know about the election and have a dog in the fight because it was their recommendation that the fiber network project go forward. The remainder of us who know about it and hopefully will vote NO, just happened to stumble on to info about the project.

I am trying to figure out just who is the villan in this project and just what are the city fathers are up to by the recent bareing of their souls on the extra money being made by the city's "enterprise activities".

I found it amazing that an article was included in the city newsletter sent w/the electric bill about the extra $9.00 a month the city electric costs a NSP resident in comparison to Xcel. Doublely amazing, since I once had a conversation with the newsletter editor where he stated he would never include any controversial article, especially one on proposed taxes or fees in the newsletter.

Then there was Wally's admission at the last council meeting that there was a $400,000 slush fund built up by accident due to the wonderful job the citizens were doing by recycling and not dumping things into the trash. What a wonderful way to explain an overcharge.

I also remember a council meeting, one of the last attended by Bill Sandberg, where Sandberg turned to Wally and said what a great thing it was that the city had an electric utility because the city could do many things that they couldn't do without it. Wally, to my surprise, didn't even ackknowledge the mayor's statement. He just dropped his head.

Are they turning over a new leaf now that Sandberg is gone and coming clean as to what this city actually costs the citizens?

To Mary, I would rather we become part of Maplewood because it is also in Ramsey Cty. and it surrounds NSP on three sides. The first thing that has to go is the police dept. Sixteen (16) officers for a 2.9 Sq. mile city cannot be sustained by 11,400 and dropping population. Fold it into Maplewood and contract for its services.
CARL MARX THE IV

Saint Paul, MN

#21 Jan 16, 2009
Unclefogey wrote:
Comment: It is too bad that a couple of posters to this site have decided to use it to foster their own personal vendettas. And in such a gross manner. I would have hoped this could have been an intelligent conversation about putting a stop to this out of control spending by NSP.
The reference I made to the 350 chosen individuals voting in the election was to emphasize that, at this point, they are the only residents of NSP who know about the election and have a dog in the fight because it was their recommendation that the fiber network project go forward. The remainder of us who know about it and hopefully will vote NO, just happened to stumble on to info about the project.
I am trying to figure out just who is the villan in this project and just what are the city fathers are up to by the recent bareing of their souls on the extra money being made by the city's "enterprise activities".
I found it amazing that an article was included in the city newsletter sent w/the electric bill about the extra $9.00 a month the city electric costs a NSP resident in comparison to Xcel. Doublely amazing, since I once had a conversation with the newsletter editor where he stated he would never include any controversial article, especially one on proposed taxes or fees in the newsletter.
Then there was Wally's admission at the last council meeting that there was a $400,000 slush fund built up by accident due to the wonderful job the citizens were doing by recycling and not dumping things into the trash. What a wonderful way to explain an overcharge.
I also remember a council meeting, one of the last attended by Bill Sandberg, where Sandberg turned to Wally and said what a great thing it was that the city had an electric utility because the city could do many things that they couldn't do without it. Wally, to my surprise, didn't even ackknowledge the mayor's statement. He just dropped his head.
Are they turning over a new leaf now that Sandberg is gone and coming clean as to what this city actually costs the citizens?
To Mary, I would rather we become part of Maplewood because it is also in Ramsey Cty. and it surrounds NSP on three sides. The first thing that has to go is the police dept. Sixteen (16) officers for a 2.9 Sq. mile city cannot be sustained by 11,400 and dropping population. Fold it into Maplewood and contract for its services.
ISN'T NICE THAT FREEDOM OF SPEECH IS JUST FOR YOU.
HE HAS NEVER SINNED CAST THE FIRST STONE...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 88
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North St. Paul Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
State board investigating lawyer's complaint ag... (Feb '09) Dec 14 Iabdull 29
Report: 3 arrested in burglary spree that spans... (Sep '10) Dec 12 lol man 88
Ramsey County home values rising, and so are th... Dec 8 doomsayer 1
Former sheriff Fletcher files to run for Ramsey... (Jun '12) Nov 24 Dutchman 3
Ramsey County city races: Vadnais Heights mayor... Nov '14 Drunkin Henry 1
Widow, police chief clash over tribute pin (Oct '10) Oct '14 keren happ 208
Maplewood Home Depot may switch from Xcel to No... Sep '14 Patty Piles 1
North St. Paul Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web