HBO, Mormons square off over airing of sacred rite

HBO on Tuesday defended its plans to depict a sacred Mormon temple ceremony in an upcoming episode of 'Big Love.' The drama about a Utah polygamous family will show an endowment ceremony Sunday. Full Story
First Prev
of 50
Next Last

“I will not keep calm”

Since: Mar 08

Raise hell...change the world

#1061 Apr 13, 2009
Joey_Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Read her post. When I asked her a question she could not answer, her reply was " I don't rely on proof." I hope it doesn't rain where you're at. With your nose up in the air like that , you could drown.
Btw it wasn't a question I couldn't answer, it was an honest answer. Sorry it wasn't good enough for you.

“Earth, Love It Or Leave It”

Since: Oct 08

Indian Rocks Beach, FL

#1062 Apr 13, 2009
Joey_Smith wrote:
Did anyone see where the Mormon magazine (Ensign?) had to be retracted because on the cover it had a picture of the chuch leaders, and the caption below the picture described them as the "Apostates". ROFLMAO! Guess they don't care much for accuracy!
It was the byu student newspaper. The caption should have said apostles but said apostates.

“I Believe in Christ”

Since: Nov 08

Salt Lake City, UT

#1063 Apr 13, 2009
proudearthling wrote:
<quoted text>
It was the byu student newspaper. The caption should have said apostles but said apostates.
I am a BYU Alumni, and I have no respect for their newspaper, lol. They never get anything right. My brother was arrested for theft (part of an elaborate and incredibly stupid practical joke) and they twisted it into some sort of "Gang and drug related activity". He and his co-thief were members of the BYU-Rugby team (the supposed "gang") and they found prescription pain meds at my brother's apartment and his co-thief's wife's birth control pills (the supposed "drugs"). Everything they'd stolen over their 3 year spree (again, incredibly stupid idea for a joke, but they planned on putting everything back on Graduation Day...did I mention my brother was stupid?) was still in the box, unused, with the date and location from which they stole it. Newspapers are full of errors and I learned a huge lesson on how they never give an unbiased story. They tell people what they want them to think. My brother and his friend were painted as drug addicted gang bangers when they couldn't be more wrong.
HaHa

Chicago, IL

#1064 Apr 13, 2009
proudearthling wrote:
<quoted text>
Pretty big typo, eh? Or was it a Freudian Slip? Did it come out on April 1?

Sounds like an April Fool prank I'd pull.
HaHa

Chicago, IL

#1065 Apr 13, 2009
neutral one wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a BYU Alumni, and I have no respect for their newspaper, lol. They never get anything right. My brother was arrested for theft (part of an elaborate and incredibly stupid practical joke) and they twisted it into some sort of "Gang and drug related activity". He and his co-thief were members of the BYU-Rugby team (the supposed "gang") and they found prescription pain meds at my brother's apartment and his co-thief's wife's birth control pills (the supposed "drugs"). Everything they'd stolen over their 3 year spree (again, incredibly stupid idea for a joke, but they planned on putting everything back on Graduation Day...did I mention my brother was stupid?) was still in the box, unused, with the date and location from which they stole it. Newspapers are full of errors and I learned a huge lesson on how they never give an unbiased story. They tell people what they want them to think. My brother and his friend were painted as drug addicted gang bangers when they couldn't be more wrong.
Well as straight-laced as BYU is, they'd have no news if they didn't sensationalize!

Since: Dec 08

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#1066 Apr 14, 2009
PiggyTail wrote:
Do any of you watch Big Love? It's really an incredible show, and they totally distance the family and the compound people from the normal LDS. Even if they didn't, it's very entertaining. I'd go so far as to call it the best show on TV right now.
I don't understand why people are all up in arms over the showing of a ceremony. People who have to hide major aspects of their faith always make me question what they really believe and why they believe it. If it's truly that important to your faith, why do you have to hide it?
Now there would be several reasons, 1) Mystery creates intrigue, and a sense of accompishment when acheived, 2) IT IS TRUE that certain things need to be learned and understood before other things can be, therefore amny groups go in stages, and only once a certain level of understanding and knowledge is acheived are you allowed to progress 3) Those on the outside may very easily misinterpret the meaning(s) of certain things and its best to keep i to the initiated 4) People dont like to be copied, especially if they believe their ceremonies and rituals are important and special 5) People dont like to be copied if they believe their ritual is Sacred

Those are a few very good reasons, I am sure there are more, but in your mind discretion = shadiness??? That shows more about you than what you claimed it may show about them.

In the Orthodox Church, only the Priest can enter a certain area, the sanctuary, also there are the mysteries and in fact, in the old times, a non baptized could not enter the main part of the church but was made to stay in the Narthex, sometimes that i slax, but even then many ask unbaptized Orthodox to enter Narthex during communion.

There are books written on what is done, its free knowledge, there is nothing actually hidden because anybody can find out about it and learn what is happening and being said, but the act itself is considered sacred and holy, doesnt make it shady....many practices have situations exactly similiar to this.

No more paranoia for you!!!

Think happy thoughts =)
Wntergirl

Spring, TX

#1067 Jul 31, 2013
Big Love lost its shine after the Eldorado raid. They tried to include some of the things they found from raiding the compound. I quit watching and then later went back to find that a neighbor killed Bill. That was a lame way to end the series.
lifeisshort

Seymour, CT

#1068 Jul 31, 2013
It sounds like too many worshipers drank the kool-aid. Get over it people. It's just a performance in a building. The moon isn't going to turn red.
There won't be swarms of locusts and there won't be any images of the Virgin Mary in a tree trunk. It's just a ceremony.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 50
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Salt Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
tea cup yorkie puppies for free adoption.... (Sep '12) 10 min Chishold1 34
LDS Apostle visited Tonga (Feb '14) 1 hr piratefighting 27,111
Utah man, 77, charged for sunbathing nude 13 hr -Lea- 11
(Mrs.) Marie Osmond Dec 20 Call me JC - really 2
female snapchst users. Dec 20 xragnerosx 1
last post wins! (Jul '11) Dec 18 Concerned_American 351
Utah Ophthalmologists Improve Vision During Cat... (Nov '13) Dec 16 Pavlos Lombardi 3

Avalanche Warning for Davis County was issued at December 22 at 5:38AM MST

North Salt Lake Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

North Salt Lake People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

North Salt Lake News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in North Salt Lake

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:11 pm PST