Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 32007 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#20879 Mar 2, 2013
Grandpasmurf952 wrote:
There are a lot of aspects of Mormonism that clearly demonstrate this church is not even close to being Christian.
There are a lot of aspects of Mormonism or The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints that clearly demonstrate this church is not even close to being unChristian.

Take for example:
1. The name "Jesus Christ" in the name "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."
2. 476 references to Jesus Christ by name in the Book of Mormon
3. In a declaration of beliefs written by the prophet Joseph Smith called the "Articles of Faith" it is written "We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost."
4. "We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel." (Article of faith 3)
5. We believe that the Bible is the word of God.

Location hidden

#20880 Mar 2, 2013
Grandpasmurf952 wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus was not a racist nor was he a sexist:
Galatians 3:28 (New International Version):
"28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus."
Your church and it's racist teachings prevent you from accepting this truth.
Galatians 3:

26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all bone in Christ Jesus.

We accept this truth:
As many who have been baptized have put on Christ and become part of His adoptive family. Within this family there is no distinction between members. That is why we refer to each other as "Brother" or "Sister." People are not denied baptisms on the grounds of race or sex.
fraoch

UK

#20881 Mar 2, 2013
Mormon is Good,True and The only "RIGHT PATH" Alba Gu Brath xxx

“Mystical Atheism for everyone!”

Since: Nov 08

El Cerrito California

#20882 Mar 2, 2013
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
Galatians 3:
28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all bone in Christ Jesus.
We accept this truth:
As many who have been baptized have put on Christ and become part of His adoptive family. Within this family there is no distinction between members. That is why we refer to each other as "Brother" or "Sister." People are not denied baptisms on the grounds of race or sex.
The most critical point to consider in rejecting your church's claim of being Christian is your concept of god. The god of the Later Day Saints is not the GOD of Israel at the heart of the teachings of the historical Jesus.

The GOD that Jesus grew up with as a Jew was omnipresent:

http://www.jewfaq.org/g-d.htm

(this site will give you an excellent overview of the GOD that is at the heart of the teachings of Jesus.)

But your church is not alone in rejecting the GOD of Israel. Most of the 32000 or so patriarchal hierarchical churches today have fallen for the Roman hoax of Christianity upon which they have built their foundations with the various limited god(s) of conditional love.

The Mithra based god-man Jesus of the Roman hoax is not at all like the Jewish Jesus who was simply a human messenger who demonstrated the Glory of the OMNIPRESENT GOD within whom we all have our being:

Acts 17:28 (New International Version,©2010)

"28 For in him we live and move and have our being. As some of your own poets have said, "We are his offspring"

If you deny the OMNIPRESENT GOD in preference to a limited god this scripture doesn't make any sense. There are a lot of other scriptures that are the same way.

You can find all of this in the history books and of course here on the internet.

The hoax did not spring up all at once. It slowly evolved through the centuries. It's a fascinating study. Perhaps someday someone will make a block buster movie of it.

People do the best they can. But just remember, the problem with most religions today is they worship the messenger according to ancient Roman customs and ignore the message! True Christianity is about the message, not the messenger.

have a good evening.

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#20883 Mar 2, 2013
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
Galatians 3:
We accept this truth:
Another Mormon deception. An attempt to "Lie for the Lord". We both know that baptism is only the beginning for the members. To get the better rewards, the higher kingdoms, one must also hold the Priesthood(if you're male), have a temple recommend, and be married to receive the greatest glory. Africans Americans where denied that right for the first 150 yrs.
You need to own your churches teachings, and stop lying to even yourself.

Marysville, CA

#20884 Mar 2, 2013
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
There are a lot of aspects of Mormonism or The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints that clearly demonstrate this church is not even close to being unChristian.
Take for example:
1. The name "Jesus Christ" in the name "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."
A proof of nothing. I can put the name of "Ford" on a Chevy, and it would still be a Chevy.
2. 476 references to Jesus Christ by name in the Book of Mormon
A reference proves nothing. Jesus is also referenced in the Quran, and even in the Satanic Bible.
3. In a declaration of beliefs written by the prophet Joseph Smith called the "Articles of Faith" it is written "We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost."
And what it is not telling you is that Mormonism believes them to be 3 separate Gods, and not tghe One God of the Bible.
4. "We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel." (Article of faith 3)
Which is a straight out contradiction of believing that you are saved by "the Atonement of Christ".

Ephesians 2:8-9(NASB)
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9 not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Romans 11:6
But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise grace is no longer grace.
5. We believe that the Bible is the word of God.
When it suits you.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#20885 Mar 2, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
... blah, blah, blah...
Y.O.U.

A.R.E.

A

H.A.B.I.T.U.A.L.

L.I.A.R.

//

Liars have no credibility!

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#20886 Mar 2, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Listen you senile old twit, I'll say it again, I'm a man, and my Father is dead. He is the Bishop of nothing. But that isn't anything new, like all Mormons Bishops, they are all the Bishop's of nothing.
1. The facts are there... you are a W.O.M.A.N.

2. Dead to you or not... you said in your past posts that your dad was a Mormon Bishop.

3. The more you lie... the less credibility you have.
Father overtime

Salt Lake City, UT

#20887 Mar 2, 2013
Dana has zero credibility. She is a liar. Problem with Dana is she doesn't know if she is a boy or girl, gay or straight, dad a bishop or not?, curb stomper or curb stompee. She says she was Mormon for all those years but doesn't know jack about it. She sure has heavens sake doesn't know what a Christian is so having her say that's Mormons aren't Christian's is like saying she knows what the bible and Book of Mormon teach. I'm sure she knows all of the drivers to NASCAR, and can tell me what each kind of chewing tobacco tastes like. She probably drives a ford, and brags about the illiteracy rate of her children. She probably has a huge welfare check. She probably plays world of Warcraft while her children sit in dirty diapers for days. Her husband is a tow truck driver. I know all of this because we play basketball on Saturdays.

Marysville, CA

#20888 Mar 2, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
1. The facts are there... you are a W.O.M.A.N.
Facts are, I have a penis. Something you haven't seen in years.
2. Dead to you or not... you said in your past posts that your dad was a Mormon Bishop.
My Father isn't "Dead to me" you idiot. He is dead, buried, deceased. You said he "is a Bishop." He was, he is no longer.
3. The more you lie... the less credibility you have.
The more you post, the more ignorant you show everyone you are.

Marysville, CA

#20889 Mar 2, 2013
Father overtime wrote:
Dana has zero credibility. She is a liar. Problem with Dana is she doesn't know if she is a boy or girl, gay or straight, dad a bishop or not?, curb stomper or curb stompee. She says she was Mormon for all those years but doesn't know jack about it. She sure has heavens sake doesn't know what a Christian is so having her say that's Mormons aren't Christian's is like saying she knows what the bible and Book of Mormon teach. I'm sure she knows all of the drivers to NASCAR, and can tell me what each kind of chewing tobacco tastes like. She probably drives a ford, and brags about the illiteracy rate of her children. She probably has a huge welfare check. She probably plays world of Warcraft while her children sit in dirty diapers for days. Her husband is a tow truck driver. I know all of this because we play basketball on Saturdays.
This is your brain on Mormonism. Any questions? When you can't deny the facts, attack the messenger.

“Mystical Atheism for everyone!”

Since: Nov 08

El Cerrito California

#20890 Mar 2, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
Y.O.U.
A.R.E.
A
H.A.B.I.T.U.A.L.
L.I.A.R.
//
Liars have no credibility!
Lying for the lord again?

http://rjosephhoffmann.wordpress.com/2012/10/...

Location hidden

#20891 Mar 2, 2013
Grandpasmurf952 wrote:
<quoted text>
The most critical point to consider in rejecting your church's claim of being Christian is your concept of god. The god of the Later Day Saints is not the GOD of Israel at the heart of the teachings of the historical Jesus.
The GOD that Jesus grew up with as a Jew was omnipresent:
http://www.jewfaq.org/g-d.htm
(this site will give you an excellent overview of the GOD that is at the heart of the teachings of Jesus.)
But your church is not alone in rejecting the GOD of Israel. Most of the 32000 or so patriarchal hierarchical churches today have fallen for the Roman hoax of Christianity upon which they have built their foundations with the various limited god(s) of conditional love.
The Mithra based god-man Jesus of the Roman hoax is not at all like the Jewish Jesus who was simply a human messenger who demonstrated the Glory of the OMNIPRESENT GOD within whom we all have our being:
Acts 17:28 (New International Version,©2010)
"28 For in him we live and move and have our being. As some of your own poets have said, "We are his offspring"
If you deny the OMNIPRESENT GOD in preference to a limited god this scripture doesn't make any sense. There are a lot of other scriptures that are the same way.
You can find all of this in the history books and of course here on the internet.
The hoax did not spring up all at once. It slowly evolved through the centuries. It's a fascinating study. Perhaps someday someone will make a block buster movie of it.
People do the best they can. But just remember, the problem with most religions today is they worship the messenger according to ancient Roman customs and ignore the message! True Christianity is about the message, not the messenger.
have a good evening.
Who said that we don't believe in an omnipresent God?

See Doctrine and Covenants 88:7-13 God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost are all components of the Godhead. Emanating from them is the light of Christ, which I think aligns with your omnipresent God line of thought. Maybe we just have different terminology.

D&C 88:
6 He that ascended up on high, as also he descended below all things, in that he comprehended all things, that he might be in all and through all things, the light of truth;

7 Which truth shineth. This is the light of Christ. As also he is in the sun, and the light of the sun, and the power thereof by which it was made.

8 As also he is in the moon, and is the light of the moon, and the power thereof by which it was made;

9 As also the light of the stars, and the power thereof by which they were made;

10 And the earth also, and the power thereof, even the earth upon which you stand.

11 And the light which shineth, which giveth you light, is through him who enlighteneth your eyes, which is the same light that quickeneth your understandings;

12 Which light proceedeth forth from the presence of God to fill the immensity of spaceó

13 The light which is in all things, which giveth life to all things, which is the claw by which all things are governed, even the power of God who sitteth upon his throne, who is in the bosom of eternity, who is in the midst of all things.

I think that just about covers everything.

Any questions?

Location hidden

#20892 Mar 2, 2013
Grandpasmurf952 wrote:
<quoted text>
True Christianity is about the message, not the messenger.
have a good evening.
I totally agree! I think you are right. A lot of people forget that it is not about the messenger. It is about the message.

Location hidden

#20893 Mar 2, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Another Mormon deception. An attempt to "Lie for the Lord". We both know that baptism is only the beginning for the members. To get the better rewards, the higher kingdoms, one must also hold the Priesthood(if you're male), have a temple recommend, and be married to receive the greatest glory. Africans Americans where denied that right for the first 150 yrs.
You need to own your churches teachings, and stop lying to even yourself.
I think you are mixing a few things up. While you are correct in saying that greater blessings are received with making additional covenants and keeping those covenants, baptism IS the gate to the celestial kingdom of heaven, or the highest degree of glory.

See:
Mosiah 18:7-10
2 Ne. 9:23-24
2 Ne. 31:13-21
3 Ne 27:20
John 3:5

Essentially at baptism, the person being baptized is committing to live all the principles of the gospel, including covenants that will be made at a later time when the person is ready.

For more information see:
http://www.lds.org/ensign/2000/11/the-covenan...

http://www.lds.org/topics/baptism...

Location hidden

#20894 Mar 2, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>

A reference proves nothing. Jesus is also referenced in the Quran, and even in the Satanic Bible.
<quoted text>
And what it is not telling you is that Mormonism believes them to be 3 separate Gods, and not tghe One God of the Bible.
<quoted text>
Which is a straight out contradiction of believing that you are saved by "the Atonement of Christ".
Ephesians 2:8-9(NASB)
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9 not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.
Romans 11:6
But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise grace is no longer grace.
<quoted text>
When it suits you.
References don't matter? Lets take a look at the Book of Mormon and see why there are so many references to Christ.

Why does the Book of Mormon mention Christ so much?
"we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins." (2 Nephi 25:26)

The reason why Christ is referenced so much in the Book of Mormon is because it's purpose is to point us to Christ who is our Savior.

We know that it is by the grace of God that we are saved. There is nothing we can do by ourselves that will grant us access to God's kingdom. We do, however, need to be willing to accept his grace into our lives.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#20895 Mar 2, 2013
Grandpasmurf952 wrote:
<quoted text>
So you believe it's ok for Dana to lie?

You are just as bad as he is.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#20896 Mar 2, 2013
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you are mixing a few things up. While you are correct in saying that greater blessings are received with making additional covenants and keeping those covenants, baptism IS the gate to the celestial kingdom of heaven, or the highest degree of glory.
See:
Mosiah 18:7-10
2 Ne. 9:23-24
2 Ne. 31:13-21
3 Ne 27:20
John 3:5
Essentially at baptism, the person being baptized is committing to live all the principles of the gospel, including covenants that will be made at a later time when the person is ready.
For more information see:
http://www.lds.org/ensign/2000/11/the-covenan...
http://www.lds.org/topics/baptism...
Milk before meat!

Location hidden

#20897 Mar 2, 2013
Grandpasmurf952 wrote:
<quoted text>
Quoted from the website you posted: "If you donít believe me, just replay any speech Mitt Romney has made in the last ten years, and you will see in his healthy glow the snake oil that his religion has been selling for 175 years."

You can totally tell Mitt has been lathering up in that snake oil just by looking at him. Yup.

I think a lot of you guys just have a hard time accepting how simple the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is. The gospel of Jesus Christ isn't complicated. Its meant to be adaptable to the simplest of saints. You guys are saying we believe complicated and incomprehensible things that simply are not so. If you really want to see what we believe, check out mormon.org

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#20898 Mar 2, 2013
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
References don't matter? Lets take a look at the Book of Mormon and see why there are so many references to Christ.
Why does the Book of Mormon mention Christ so much?
"we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins." (2 Nephi 25:26)
The reason why Christ is referenced so much in the Book of Mormon is because it's purpose is to point us to Christ who is our Savior.
We know that it is by the grace of God that we are saved. There is nothing we can do by ourselves that will grant us access to God's kingdom. We do, however, need to be willing to accept his grace into our lives.
Why does the BOM mention Christ so much?
...to make a pyramid scheme seem like a legitimate religion

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Salt Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Episcopalians vote to allow gay marriage in chu... 58 min George 16
last post wins! (Jul '11) 6 hr Hatti_Hollerand 363
DONALD TRUMP is NIGERIAN PRINCE ! .. Birth Cert... Mon The Donald 2
Review: AMSCO Windows (Jan '10) Aug 26 ajohnson 67
News LDS Apostle visited Tonga (Feb '14) Aug 23 Zorri 30,209
News Body of missing Cedar City teen found (Nov '08) Aug 16 rhondaw 16
News POLYGAMY: Utah Co. prosecutors want to see 'big... (Sep '10) Aug 14 Mary Jesus 11
More from around the web

Personal Finance

North Salt Lake Mortgages