Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 20 comments on the Oct 12, 2011, CNN story titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#19604 Dec 23, 2012
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Listen, you don't have to believe in eternal marriage to understand the context of what was being said.
Priests of a Jewish division didn't believe in the resurrection. Those that followed them believed the same.
This priest group understood Jesus might believe as the other priest group that believed in the resurrection. But they understood he knew the law and knew it well, it's why these priests were constantly challenging his knowledge. They wanted to prove he didn't know as much as people said/claimed he knew. He had a following and they didn't like it. His followers came from their division and other divisions. Losing followers wasn't good for business just like today.
So the priests not believing in the resurrection decided to poke fun at it while asking Jesus a plausible question. If a woman married a man and he died, then married his other brothers as each one of them died, in the resurrection who's wife would would she be?
Now understand their question. A woman would marry seven brothers as they each would die, one after the other. Finally there would be no brothers to marry and she would die. They would all be resurrected and the priests wanted to know which husband she would belong to in the after life as she had married all seven while on earth, not in heaven.
Understand? The priests are pretending to believe for a moment that it was true, that those married on earth would remain married in the resurrection, a belief they didn't believe in.
Now read Jesus's answer..."When the dead rise, they will neither marry nor be given in marriage;"...he didn't answer their question! Do you see that? They gave him a pretend scenario of a woman going through 7 brothers till her own death. They wanted to know in the resurrection they didn't believe in, which brother of the seven would be her husband. Jesus didn't answer them.
He clearly did answer them by saying she wouldn't be married at all, but will be like the angels. Paul backs that up in Romans by saying that after death we are no longer under the laws of marriage because the marriage is over at the time of death.
Jesus gave a reply about how the dead in this life now, they would not marry or be given in marriage in the resurrection. Jesus didn't say the woman already married couldn't remain married in the resurrection. That should have been his answer. Understand? His answer should have pertained to the woman and who her husband would be or wouldn't be.
Yes he did when he told them she was going to be like the angels. It was a direct answer to a direct question.
Instead, Jesus stated that those that would die in this life, they wouldn't marry nor be given in marriage, but he didn't give an answer if a marriage done now wouldn't continue in the resurrection. Jesus was stating it was ludicrous to think you could be remarried if you had already been married in this life once you were in the after life, understand?
That would be wonderful if they were talking about remarrying, but they wasn't. You make Jesus sound like a idiot.
Jesus's statement was separating those married in this life from those not married in this life. That those that died unmarried in this life, those were they that... "..will neither marry nor be given in marriage;"... in the after life.
Except the woman in question was not only married, she was married 7 times. You really are pathetic with this line of dribble.
Jesus was stating we have but one chance to be married and it's in this life, not in the resurrection.
And the marriage is over the minute you die. That's was what Jesus was saying. Plain and simple, and his words are worth more than all the Jewish scholars you can drag out. Your claims are 100% BS.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#19605 Dec 24, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
And I always play you for the fool.
Sure you do!

The bitter, angry, lying, deceitful, hateful, spiteful, hypocritical, pretend "Salvationist" who doesn't even believe the tenets of his own church, plays ME for the fool.

That means a lot right there.

Yup-er! LOL!

Marysville, CA

#19606 Dec 24, 2012
Cary L Nickel wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure you do!
The bitter, angry, lying, deceitful, hateful, spiteful, hypocritical, pretend "Salvationist" who doesn't even believe the tenets of his own church, plays ME for the fool.
That means a lot right there.
Yup-er! LOL!
Be careful, Bishop Hitler may excommunicate you. Sucker.

Marysville, CA

#19607 Dec 24, 2012
Women received death threats for wearing pants to LDS meetings: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/mormon-women-...

Pretty soon we''ll start seeing burka's going into the temples.

Marysville, CA

#19608 Dec 24, 2012
Another "Cary" Mormon arrested for drunk driving: http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2012/...

He would also claim to "know" the church is true!

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#19610 Dec 24, 2012
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
And u got kicked out of a cult that can remove ur gayness..finally and forever. But if u still believe it, that counts right?
I'm just waiting for you to ask a question(s)based on intelligence, not sarcasm dripping from your lips like spit you're not getting rid of. I know it's in you, I have seen you use it on rare occasions so just saying...Merry Christmas too :)

Location hidden

#19611 Dec 24, 2012
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>I'm just waiting for you to ask a question(s)based on intelligence, not sarcasm dripping from your lips like spit you're not getting rid of. I know it's in you, I have seen you use it on rare occasions so just saying...Merry Christmas too :)
Merry Christmas to u too...a question? I know a few people like u... Keeping themselves closeted for the one true church. Why?

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#19612 Dec 24, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Except Jesus said otherwise. Otherwise Jesus would have said she was going to be married to the first husband. He clearly didn't.
<quoted text>
I will stick to what the Bible says.
As it's written concerning the story of the wife and seven brothers, there is no answer for you to understand. Jesus didn't answer the question. Forget the eternal marriage theory. Lets deal with the question and the answer first.
For some really strange reason you fail to understand that fact, that Jesus din't answer the question. The question wasn't answered. They asked which brother would she be the wife of. Instead of answering the question and telling which brother she would remain married to or, instead saying something like marriages in this life are not valid in the next so she won't be married to any of them or, marriages last for the duration of this life and than we return to being unmarried spirits in the next life, Jesus for his own reason didn't answer the question.
Instead, Jesus stated that unlike here in this life where we marry and some are given in marriage, no one will marry and no one will be given in marriage in the life to come.
Understand? Jesus didn't answer the question. Jesus instead stated in the next life, no one can marry and no one can be given in marriage as it happens in this life. Understand? Jesus said nothing about what happens to married people in this life and if they remain married in the next or if when they die, so does their marriage. Understand?
Matt. 27“Last of all, the woman died.28“In the resurrection, therefore, whose wife of the seven will she be? For they all had married her.”
29 But Jesus answered and said to them,“You are mistaken, not understanding the Scriptures nor the power of God.30 “For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven.
Mark. 23 “In the resurrection, when they rise again, which one’s wife will she be? For all seven had married her.
”24Jesus said to them,“Is this not the reason you are mistaken, that you do not understand the Scriptures or the power of God?25“For when they rise from the dead, they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven.
Luke. 33 Now then, at the resurrection whose wife will she be, since the seven were married to her?”
34 Jesus replied,“The people of this age marry and are given in marriage. 35 But those who are considered worthy of taking part in the age to come and in the resurrection from the dead will neither marry nor be given in marriage,
Three different books, three different interpretations of the same story and three times Jesus never answered the question.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#19613 Dec 24, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
He clearly did answer them by saying she wouldn't be married at all, but will be like the angels. Paul backs that up in Romans by saying that after death we are no longer under the laws of marriage because the marriage is over at the time of death.
No. Absolutely your inaccurate opinion. Jesus said nothing of the kind. He didn't say anything at all that she wouldn't be married in the next life. He didn't say the brothers wouldn't be married in the next life.
You're failing to understand the ludicrous question being asked. If what you think was true(which it isn't)that Jesus was stating she wouldn't be married again or be given in marriage in the next life, that leaves you to explain how a person married in this life that dies, has a "supposed" chance at remarrying in the next life as the priests insinuated would happen according to your logic of Jesus's answer.
You're answer complicates the question. Stay with me on this and consider the actual question and answer.
The Sadducee's asking the question didn't believe in the resurrection that Jesus was teaching about. They believed in a part of the OT teaching that stated the spirit/soul returned to the ground/grave and it remained there till God saw different. That means they didn't believe anything went on to "live" in the after life. That when we died so did the consciousness of our spirit. They thought it was a joke and like you, they didn't believe people married in this life would remain married in the next life. Like you they refused to believe that.
So they came to ask Jesus concerning the belief and to ridicule the belief. Some how it's insinuated that Jesus also knew of this belief Jews had of a marriage here extending into the next life because he gave an answer though not the answer they asked.
So they asked after the seven brothers died and the wife died whose husband would she remain a wife to in the next life.
Now this is important. Jesus didn't give them an answer. He didn't say she wouldn't remain married in the next life and he didn't say her marriage would have an end in the next life.
Instead Jesus made a statement that had nothing to do with what happened to a person who married in this life and if their marriage continued or became invalid.
Jesus stated those that die in this life, in the next life they can't marry. They can't get married. They can't find someone to marry. He also went so far to reply to a tradition that was done in this life. A tradition where a family would marry off a family member to another family. It was called to be given in marriage meaning the person didn't have a choice in the matter. So Jesus also stated that they would neither be given in marriage in the next life either.
Understand?
A married person in this life that dies, they can't be remarried in the next life by themselves and by their own choosing to be remarried again. But a person in this life who dies single for example, in the next life they can't than choose to be married and their family can't marry them to someone. Jesus's answer was all future tense concerning if a single person could be married then if they didn't marry in this life.
He didn't answer the question, understand?

Since: Sep 12

Ava, MO

#19614 Dec 24, 2012
Merry Christmas to all of you. I hope you all have a wonderful day with family and friends.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#19615 Dec 24, 2012
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
Merry Christmas to u too...a question? I know a few people like u... Keeping themselves closeted for the one true church. Why?
Sorry, not in the closet as you describe it with my beliefs. I believe in God and Jesus and the Bible among other things...."Among other things?" I hear you thinking followed with an "Ah-hah! I was right!"
Among other things I believe God inspired Muhammed to write as he did for a people that weren't accepting of Jewish law and Christian law. I believe God interconnected these three religions for his own future purpose.
But I don't leave out other religions like Buddhism, Hinduism, etc. I believe God inspired the golden rules to be had among all religions no matter how off they got in their worship of him.
I do believe God uses prophets. I can't tell you that a prophet(s) exist today any more then you can tell me they don't. But according to ancient writings from all over this earth, when God wants to reveal something to people, he uses someone to deliver that message. The Jews have records of a "main/major" prophet with many "minor" prophets existing at the same time through out their religious history.
I do think Mormons have it going on better than any other religion even if prophets don't exist. They're the most industrious church going. Since it's conception(even through the period of Smith's death)this church has never had internal corruption take place and destroy it. But I can show you hundreds of churches in the last hundred years that can't say the same thing, even among the RCC and large Christian denominations they have faced corruption by greed and sex scandals etc.
Yeah the Mormon church has it's share of problems but not a single one has ever destroyed it or crippled it. And it continues to grow. They teach their children to abstain from sex, drugs, etc. And the parents for the most part set the example. The church runs on an honour code that is largely followed through honesty of oneself.
Yeah, I do admire the Mormon church for what it is and for the fact that it's not immediately subject to change because of a new popular belief society is embracing as happens with the rest of modern Christianity.
So fault me for that admiration if you wish :)

Location hidden

#19616 Dec 25, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
Another "Cary" Mormon arrested for drunk driving: http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2012/...
He would also claim to "know" the church is true!
Of course he would. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is perfect, but we humans are not. That's the beauty of the "Plan of Salvation". We aren't expected to become perfect the instant we become members. We are only asked that we make an effort to progress.

Merry Christmas!

Marysville, CA

#19617 Dec 25, 2012
Livinginthelandofcrazy wrote:
Merry Christmas to all of you. I hope you all have a wonderful day with family and friends.
Same to you. But after all this time, I would like to have something to call you besides "Crazy". Why can't you even give us just a first name that we can refer to you by?

I hope you get to spend you day loving your family instead of working. No one has ever died wishing they had spent more time at the office. Save the turkey leg for me.

“I will not keep calm”

Since: Mar 08

Raise hell...change the world

#19618 Dec 25, 2012
Merry Merry Christmas to you all !!! And a huge happy birthday to my savior, Jesus Christ.
I hope all of you have had a day filled with love, family and joy.

Marysville, CA

#19619 Dec 25, 2012
not ashamed wrote:
Merry Merry Christmas to you all !!! And a huge happy birthday to my savior, Jesus Christ.
I hope all of you have had a day filled with love, family and joy.
Amen. Jesus is the reason, for the season.
UNCLE BEN

Pikesville, MD

#19620 Dec 25, 2012
Feel like a chuckle on Christmas Day?

Mormons believe the Garden of Eden was in Missouri.

“I will not keep calm”

Since: Mar 08

Raise hell...change the world

#19621 Dec 25, 2012
UNCLE BEN wrote:
Feel like a chuckle on Christmas Day?
Mormons believe the Garden of Eden was in Missouri.
I chuckled, but only because you thought that was news worthy.

Marysville, CA

#19623 Dec 26, 2012
Cary L Nickel wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course he would. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is perfect, but we humans are not. That's the beauty of the "Plan of Salvation". We aren't expected to become perfect the instant we become members. We are only asked that we make an effort to progress.
Merry Christmas!
Well you have been a so-called member for a lot longer than an "instant". And if you are going to pretend to be LDS, at least know what they believe:

"Trying is not sufficient. Nor is repentance complete when one merely tries to abandon sin," Kimball writes.[2] The objective of repentance, he writes, is to obtain "perfection" as a prerequisite for achieving "immortality and eternal life.... This progress toward eternal life is a matter of achieving perfection. Living all the commandments guarantees total forgiveness of sins and assures one of exaltation through that perfection which comes by complying with the formula the Lord gave us.... Being perfect means to triumph over sin." (Kimball, The Miracle of Forgiveness, p. 208-209.)

"Christ became perfect through overcoming. Only as we overcome shall we become perfect and move toward godhood. As I have indicated previously, the time to do this is now, in mortality" (Miracle of Forgiveness, pp. 209-10;).

"Eternal life hangs in the balance awaiting the works of men. This process toward eternal life is a matter of achieving perfection. Living all the commandments guarantees total forgiveness of sins and assures one of exaltation through the perfection which comes by complying with the formula the Lord gave us... Being perfect means to triumph over sin. This is a mandate from the Lord. He is just and wise and kind. He would never require anything from his children which was not for their benefit and which was not attainable. Perfection therefore is an achievable goal." (p. 208)

You haven't even received forgiveness until you reach perfection.

Location hidden

#19624 Dec 26, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Well you have been a so-called member for a lot longer than an "instant". And if you are going to pretend to be LDS, at least know what they believe:
"Trying is not sufficient. Nor is repentance complete when one merely tries to abandon sin," Kimball writes.[2] The objective of repentance, he writes, is to obtain "perfection" as a prerequisite for achieving "immortality and eternal life.... This progress toward eternal life is a matter of achieving perfection. Living all the commandments guarantees total forgiveness of sins and assures one of exaltation through that perfection which comes by complying with the formula the Lord gave us.... Being perfect means to triumph over sin." (Kimball, The Miracle of Forgiveness, p. 208-209.)
"Christ became perfect through overcoming. Only as we overcome shall we become perfect and move toward godhood. As I have indicated previously, the time to do this is now, in mortality" (Miracle of Forgiveness, pp. 209-10;).
"Eternal life hangs in the balance awaiting the works of men. This process toward eternal life is a matter of achieving perfection. Living all the commandments guarantees total forgiveness of sins and assures one of exaltation through the perfection which comes by complying with the formula the Lord gave us... Being perfect means to triumph over sin. This is a mandate from the Lord. He is just and wise and kind. He would never require anything from his children which was not for their benefit and which was not attainable. Perfection therefore is an achievable goal." (p. 208)
You haven't even received forgiveness until you reach perfection.
Thanks for your quotes from Kimball's work. However, there was no need. It's been on my bookshelf for over 25 years.

Of course, being that you advertise yourself as "former member" who now despises the Gospel of Jesus Christ, it would be complete folly for me (or anyone) to accept your interpretation of that gospel.

Thus, as I've said before, I'll continue to get my spiritual advice from people who actually BELIEVE in the tenets of the church they are a member of, not from a supposed "former" member who doesn't even believe the tenets of they church they are a member of today.

Here is what YOUR church believes:

"Scripture forbids sexual intimacy between members of the same sex. The Salvation Army believes, therefore, that Christians whose sexual orientation is primarily or exclusively same-sex are called upon to embrace celibacy as a way of life. There is no scriptural support for same-sex unions as equal to, or as an alternative to, heterosexual marriage."

http://digitaljournal.com/article/315320

You continue to support your church with your labor and tithes, while vocally rejecting their beliefs on a regular basis. Until you address the hypocrisy in your current spiritual life, there is absolutely no reason for anyone to take anything you say about spiritual issues seriously.

Lord know I never have! LOL!

Oh, and by the way, I'm not afraid to repeatedly state that I happen to agree with your churches stance on the issue as stated above. Isn't that ironic? Yet you keep crowing about how much better YOU are than anyone else! That's called "irony" right there!

“Protest / support the marchers”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#19625 Dec 26, 2012
Why Our Family Left The Mormon Church
(next post)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Salt Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: CMC Heating And Air Conditioning 4 hr Kurt Cooks 2
Obama is pure evil. Apr 24 goodness 1
Centurylink really sucks Apr 24 dman 1
Help Stop Corruption in our Gov't,Sen. davis Apr 21 Un agenda 21 and ... 5
Horny in Salt Lake (Dec '12) Apr 21 cowboy 8
West Valley Gang Bangers.. (Nov '08) Apr 18 king nonstop 68
Birth Parents & Adoptees & Siblings Apr 14 joanNYadoptees 1
More from around the web

North Salt Lake People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE