Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 32098 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

“I will not keep calm”

Since: Mar 08

Raise hell...change the world

#19618 Dec 25, 2012
Merry Merry Christmas to you all !!! And a huge happy birthday to my savior, Jesus Christ.
I hope all of you have had a day filled with love, family and joy.

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#19619 Dec 25, 2012
not ashamed wrote:
Merry Merry Christmas to you all !!! And a huge happy birthday to my savior, Jesus Christ.
I hope all of you have had a day filled with love, family and joy.
Amen. Jesus is the reason, for the season.
UNCLE BEN

Finksburg, MD

#19620 Dec 25, 2012
Feel like a chuckle on Christmas Day?

Mormons believe the Garden of Eden was in Missouri.

“I will not keep calm”

Since: Mar 08

Raise hell...change the world

#19621 Dec 25, 2012
UNCLE BEN wrote:
Feel like a chuckle on Christmas Day?
Mormons believe the Garden of Eden was in Missouri.
I chuckled, but only because you thought that was news worthy.

Marysville, CA

#19623 Dec 26, 2012
Cary L Nickel wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course he would. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is perfect, but we humans are not. That's the beauty of the "Plan of Salvation". We aren't expected to become perfect the instant we become members. We are only asked that we make an effort to progress.
Merry Christmas!
Well you have been a so-called member for a lot longer than an "instant". And if you are going to pretend to be LDS, at least know what they believe:

"Trying is not sufficient. Nor is repentance complete when one merely tries to abandon sin," Kimball writes.[2] The objective of repentance, he writes, is to obtain "perfection" as a prerequisite for achieving "immortality and eternal life.... This progress toward eternal life is a matter of achieving perfection. Living all the commandments guarantees total forgiveness of sins and assures one of exaltation through that perfection which comes by complying with the formula the Lord gave us.... Being perfect means to triumph over sin." (Kimball, The Miracle of Forgiveness, p. 208-209.)

"Christ became perfect through overcoming. Only as we overcome shall we become perfect and move toward godhood. As I have indicated previously, the time to do this is now, in mortality" (Miracle of Forgiveness, pp. 209-10;).

"Eternal life hangs in the balance awaiting the works of men. This process toward eternal life is a matter of achieving perfection. Living all the commandments guarantees total forgiveness of sins and assures one of exaltation through the perfection which comes by complying with the formula the Lord gave us... Being perfect means to triumph over sin. This is a mandate from the Lord. He is just and wise and kind. He would never require anything from his children which was not for their benefit and which was not attainable. Perfection therefore is an achievable goal." (p. 208)

You haven't even received forgiveness until you reach perfection.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#19624 Dec 26, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Well you have been a so-called member for a lot longer than an "instant". And if you are going to pretend to be LDS, at least know what they believe:
"Trying is not sufficient. Nor is repentance complete when one merely tries to abandon sin," Kimball writes.[2] The objective of repentance, he writes, is to obtain "perfection" as a prerequisite for achieving "immortality and eternal life.... This progress toward eternal life is a matter of achieving perfection. Living all the commandments guarantees total forgiveness of sins and assures one of exaltation through that perfection which comes by complying with the formula the Lord gave us.... Being perfect means to triumph over sin." (Kimball, The Miracle of Forgiveness, p. 208-209.)
"Christ became perfect through overcoming. Only as we overcome shall we become perfect and move toward godhood. As I have indicated previously, the time to do this is now, in mortality" (Miracle of Forgiveness, pp. 209-10;).
"Eternal life hangs in the balance awaiting the works of men. This process toward eternal life is a matter of achieving perfection. Living all the commandments guarantees total forgiveness of sins and assures one of exaltation through the perfection which comes by complying with the formula the Lord gave us... Being perfect means to triumph over sin. This is a mandate from the Lord. He is just and wise and kind. He would never require anything from his children which was not for their benefit and which was not attainable. Perfection therefore is an achievable goal." (p. 208)
You haven't even received forgiveness until you reach perfection.
Thanks for your quotes from Kimball's work. However, there was no need. It's been on my bookshelf for over 25 years.

Of course, being that you advertise yourself as "former member" who now despises the Gospel of Jesus Christ, it would be complete folly for me (or anyone) to accept your interpretation of that gospel.

Thus, as I've said before, I'll continue to get my spiritual advice from people who actually BELIEVE in the tenets of the church they are a member of, not from a supposed "former" member who doesn't even believe the tenets of they church they are a member of today.

Here is what YOUR church believes:

"Scripture forbids sexual intimacy between members of the same sex. The Salvation Army believes, therefore, that Christians whose sexual orientation is primarily or exclusively same-sex are called upon to embrace celibacy as a way of life. There is no scriptural support for same-sex unions as equal to, or as an alternative to, heterosexual marriage."

http://digitaljournal.com/article/315320

You continue to support your church with your labor and tithes, while vocally rejecting their beliefs on a regular basis. Until you address the hypocrisy in your current spiritual life, there is absolutely no reason for anyone to take anything you say about spiritual issues seriously.

Lord know I never have! LOL!

Oh, and by the way, I'm not afraid to repeatedly state that I happen to agree with your churches stance on the issue as stated above. Isn't that ironic? Yet you keep crowing about how much better YOU are than anyone else! That's called "irony" right there!

“ Soon: too late to protest”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#19625 Dec 26, 2012
Why Our Family Left The Mormon Church
(next post)

Location hidden

#19626 Dec 26, 2012

Marysville, CA

#19627 Dec 26, 2012
Cary L Nickel wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for your quotes from Kimball's work. However, there was no need. It's been on my bookshelf for over 25 years.
And apparently it is like your Bible, it never gets read. Having something on your bookshelf means nothing.
Of course, being that you advertise yourself as "former member" who now despises the Gospel of Jesus Christ, it would be complete folly for me (or anyone) to accept your interpretation of that gospel.
When it comes to the word of wisdom, there isn't an active member who will tell you that it is OK for you to just totally disregard it and you know it. You're just playing games to make excuses for your laziness. You're a member when suits you.,
Thus, as I've said before, I'll continue to get my spiritual advice from people who actually BELIEVE in the tenets of the church they are a member of, not from a supposed "former" member who doesn't even believe the tenets of they church they are a member of today.
You're get it and totally disregard it, and pretend you are actually something in the LDS church when in reality, you're lower than a deacon. LOL!!!
Here is what YOUR church believes:
"Scripture forbids sexual intimacy between members of the same sex. The Salvation Army believes, therefore, that Christians whose sexual orientation is primarily or exclusively same-sex are called upon to embrace celibacy as a way of life. There is no scriptural support for same-sex unions as equal to, or as an alternative to, heterosexual marriage."
http://digitaljournal.com/article/315320
Good for them. It's a good thing I don't claim my salvation is based on their membership.
You continue to support your church with your labor and tithes, while vocally rejecting their beliefs on a regular basis. Until you address the hypocrisy in your current spiritual life, there is absolutely no reason for anyone to take anything you say about spiritual issues seriously.
Lord know I never have! LOL!
Sure you have, or you wouldn't be so concerned about what the Army does or does not teach. Dishonesty seems to be a major problem for you. You're dishonest in your life as a member, your dishonest as a representative of your wannabe church, and your dishonest in your claims of not caring what others say about your filthy religion.
Oh, and by the way, I'm not afraid to repeatedly state that I happen to agree with your churches stance on the issue as stated above. Isn't that ironic? Yet you keep crowing about how much better YOU are than anyone else! That's called "irony" right there!
Just like the irony of you claiming how wonderful the LDS church is while not keeping any of it's commandments. Are you related to Joseph Smith? He also taught one thing and did another. Hey, maybe you are a good Mormon after all?

Location hidden

#19628 Dec 26, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
And apparently it is like your Bible, it never gets read. Having something on your bookshelf means nothing.
<quoted text>
When it comes to the word of wisdom, there isn't an active member who will tell you that it is OK for you to just totally disregard it and you know it. You're just playing games to make excuses for your laziness. You're a member when suits you.,
<quoted text>
You're get it and totally disregard it, and pretend you are actually something in the LDS church when in reality, you're lower than a deacon. LOL!!!
<quoted text>
Good for them. It's a good thing I don't claim my salvation is based on their membership.
<quoted text>
Sure you have, or you wouldn't be so concerned about what the Army does or does not teach. Dishonesty seems to be a major problem for you. You're dishonest in your life as a member, your dishonest as a representative of your wannabe church, and your dishonest in your claims of not caring what others say about your filthy religion.
<quoted text>
Just like the irony of you claiming how wonderful the LDS church is while not keeping any of it's commandments. Are you related to Joseph Smith? He also taught one thing and did another. Hey, maybe you are a good Mormon after all?
Good timing with your post! I wouldn't have been able to read it earlier, as the Stake President (the fellow who married my wife and myself, back when he was Bishop) stopped by today and we were talking politics, the economy, and figuring out how to survive in Barack Obama's U.S.A. Then I had to go get hay for the livestock. Just got back a few minutes ago.

You deride the Gospel of Jesus Christ, yet you still claim to have some sort of knowledge of it. I guess if it wasn't for your hypocrisy, some folks would pay more attention to you.

Fact is, I believe what your church teaches more than you do (except for that whole "gays deserve death thing), so I guess I'm a better "Salvationist" than you you are.

Or do you now claim to believe what your church teaches?

I wouldn't be so smug that your works in your church are going to save you, if I were you. You can only get away with denying your faith for so long. Jesus taught us that.

Location hidden

#19630 Dec 27, 2012
Whats Wrong with Mormonism - Bill Schnoebelen

Location hidden

#19631 Dec 27, 2012

Marysville, CA

#19632 Dec 27, 2012
Cary L Nickel wrote:
<quoted text>
Good timing with your post! I wouldn't have been able to read it earlier, as the Stake President (the fellow who married my wife and myself, back when he was Bishop) stopped by today and we were talking politics, the economy, and figuring out how to survive in Barack Obama's U.S.A. Then I had to go get hay for the livestock. Just got back a few minutes ago.
Did he ask you when you are going to stop playing around and get your act together? Your write like the stake president was the Prophet or the Pope, he's not. And if you have the stake president home teaching you, that means you are his special project to try to get you off you butt and get it together.
You deride the Gospel of Jesus Christ, yet you still claim to have some sort of knowledge of it. I guess if it wasn't for your hypocrisy, some folks would pay more attention to you.
Again, you have trouble getting your facts straight, I don't deride "the Gospel of Jesus Christ", I deride an evil counterfeit religion claiming to be "the Gospel of Jesus Christ". The religion is like you, it's wannabe "Gospel of Jesus Christ". And like you it talks big, and does nothing. Big difference.
Fact is, I believe what your church teaches more than you do (except for that whole "gays deserve death thing), so I guess I'm a better "Salvationist" than you you are.
Or do you now claim to believe what your church teaches?
Well, you still deny the grace of Jesus Christ, and do nothing for the homeless, so don't break your arm patting yourself on the back. The Army likes members who actually do something instead of sitting on their lazy butts pretending they are Christian.
I wouldn't be so smug that your works in your church are going to save you, if I were you. You can only get away with denying your faith for so long. Jesus taught us that.
You read, but your don't comprehend. I don't go help the homeless to gain my salvation. Works don't give you salvation, the grace of Jesus Christ does. I got my salvation 9-13-1993. I help the homeless as a way of showing my thanks to the Lord for what he has done for me. Doing it doesn't make me more saved, not doing it doesn't make me less saved. Yeap, like "The Miracle of Forgiveness", your Bible just sits on your shelf never getting read.

Location hidden

#19633 Dec 27, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Did he ask you when you are going to stop playing around and get your act together? Your write like the stake president was the Prophet or the Pope, he's not. And if you have the stake president home teaching you, that means you are his special project to try to get you off you butt and get it together.
<quoted text>
Again, you have trouble getting your facts straight, I don't deride "the Gospel of Jesus Christ", I deride an evil counterfeit religion claiming to be "the Gospel of Jesus Christ". The religion is like you, it's wannabe "Gospel of Jesus Christ". And like you it talks big, and does nothing. Big difference.
<quoted text>
Well, you still deny the grace of Jesus Christ, and do nothing for the homeless, so don't break your arm patting yourself on the back. The Army likes members who actually do something instead of sitting on their lazy butts pretending they are Christian.
<quoted text>
You read, but your don't comprehend. I don't go help the homeless to gain my salvation. Works don't give you salvation, the grace of Jesus Christ does. I got my salvation 9-13-1993. I help the homeless as a way of showing my thanks to the Lord for what he has done for me. Doing it doesn't make me more saved, not doing it doesn't make me less saved. Yeap, like "The Miracle of Forgiveness", your Bible just sits on your shelf never getting read.
So 9/13/93 is the day you turned your back on the Gospel of Jesus Christ? And you STILL haven't gotten it together and become a true "Salvationist"?

Or, is your stance in your church more along these lines:

http://web.salvationarmy.org/ind/www_ind.nsf/...

Perhaps if you work for the Salvation Army hard enough, and tithe enough to them, they will continue to overlook how you claim publicly to despise their doctrine. Are they really that shallow?

You tell us.

Marysville, CA

#19634 Dec 27, 2012
Cary L Nickel wrote:
<quoted text>
So 9/13/93 is the day you turned your back on the Gospel of Jesus Christ?
Just the a phony one. The same one you turn your back on everyday by refusing to keep it's commandments .
And you STILL haven't gotten it together and become a true "Salvationist"?
Or, is your stance in your church more along these lines:
http://web.salvationarmy.org/ind/www_ind.nsf/...
Perhaps if you work for the Salvation Army hard enough, and tithe enough to them, they will continue to overlook how you claim publicly to despise their doctrine. Are they really that shallow?
You tell us.
Nowhere in the Bible does it say I have to be a good member of the Salvation Army to receive my salvation. That is ignorant Mormonthink that claims membership in a church means something to the Lord. I don't follow the arm of the flesh like you do.

When you have Jesus, you don't need Joseph.

Marysville, CA

#19635 Dec 27, 2012
By the way, there's nothing on your link. It appears they are changing policy. Oh my!

Location hidden

#19637 Dec 27, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
By the way, there's nothing on your link. It appears they are changing policy. Oh my!
There certainly is.

"Under review" was my whole point.

Location hidden

#19638 Dec 27, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Just the a phony one. The same one you turn your back on everyday by refusing to keep it's commandments .
<quoted text>
Nowhere in the Bible does it say I have to be a good member of the Salvation Army to receive my salvation. That is ignorant Mormonthink that claims membership in a church means something to the Lord. I don't follow the arm of the flesh like you do.
When you have Jesus, you don't need Joseph.
Nah, it was the real one. You chose your arrogance over reality. And if your good works for the Salvation Army cover your hypocrisy for supporting an organization with your labors and tithes, while you outspokenly deny the tenets of their faith, then I guess you've got yourself fooled, and they get free labor and money. It's a win/win!

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#19639 Dec 27, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
Works don't give you salvation, the grace of Jesus Christ does. I help the homeless as a way of showing my thanks to the Lord for what he has done for me. Doing it doesn't make me more saved, not doing it doesn't make me less saved.
According to the scriptures, you're very incorrect to think that helping the poor will neither gain you salvation nor lessen salvation for you.
These are just verses that show the positive results of believing in God and serving the poor and, some of the rewards/blessings concerning one's salvation and what one can receive in doing these things by faith in God for the poor and needy.

I keep suggesting you to quit slicing and dicing scriptures for your selfish reasoning. It's not of the Lord's reasoning :)
"If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth." 1 John 3:17-18
"Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless; maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed. Rescue the weak and needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked." Psalm 82:3-4
"He who despises his neighbor sins, but blessed is he who is kind to the needy." Proverbs 14:21
"He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God." Proverbs 14:31
"He who is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will reward him for what he has done." Proverbs 19:17
"A generous man will himself be blessed, for he shares his food with the poor." Proverbs 22:9
"He who gives to the poor will lack nothing, but he who closes his eyes to them receives many curses." Proverbs 28:27
"Learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow." Isaiah 1:17
"Jesus answered, If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.'" Matthew 19:21
"When Jesus heard this, he said to him, You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.'" Luke 18:22
"In Joppa there was a disciple named Tabitha (which, when translated, is Dorcas), who was always doing good and helping the poor." Acts 9:36
"Cornelius stared at him in fear. What is it, Lord?' he asked. The angel answered, Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God.'" Acts 10:4

Marysville, CA

#19640 Dec 27, 2012
Cary L Nickel wrote:
<quoted text>
Nah, it was the real one. You chose your arrogance over reality. And if your good works for the Salvation Army cover your hypocrisy for supporting an organization with your labors and tithes, while you outspokenly deny the tenets of their faith, then I guess you've got yourself fooled, and they get free labor and money. It's a win/win!
I'll be more convinced it's the "real" one when it starts actually working for you. Let me know when you get your temple recommend. Talk is cheap.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Salt Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Are Aliens Real, if so are they nice or mean? (Oct '12) Aug 15 ray 42
News A police officer ruined their Subway business, ... Aug 14 Overgrownelf79 1
So what's going on with Paul Swenson? Aug 13 Jescrane 2
I love Utah farts Aug 11 JuicyNoodles 1
News Geologists, residents see more movement in Nort... (Apr '16) Apr '16 jsmetzgerin 1
News Loss of members spurred LDS singles ward changes (Apr '11) Feb '15 Blow 4
News Police close to catching Midvale check fraud su... (Sep '10) Jan '15 not surprised 36

North Salt Lake Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

North Salt Lake Mortgages