Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 32098 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#19424 Dec 16, 2012
Father Overtime wrote:
They hate and bash and have opinions. It's America. They can do that. I'm still looking for actual facts from this Internet cult but they refuse to believe the entire bible and only take sections that are self serving. Haters and bigots they are. Try reading Matthew again and get back to me on if works are required to be saved or not.
You need to read Matthew again, because it is clearly telling those works will never get you saved because you can't possibly begin to keep them all. It has the first mention of grace:
Matthew 19:26
And looking at them Jesus said to them,“ With people this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

But if you insist on paying for your own sins, here's how to do it:
Matthew 5:29-31(NASB)

29 If your right eye makes you stumble, tear it out and throw it from you; for it is better for you to lose one of the parts of your body, than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. 30 If your right hand makes you stumble, cut it off and throw it from you; for it is better for you to lose one of the parts of your body, than for your whole body to go into hell.

Start cutting.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#19425 Dec 16, 2012
Protester wrote:
<quoted text>
Evidently your false Bible left out the part where Jesus descended into hell after he was crucified. It was a one-time thing.
True Christianity makes it clear that this world is where we make our decision for or against the truth, but your false religion teaches that there’s no difference, that if you choose to be evil here, you get another chance in the spirit world. So why did God even bother to create this world, and make it the opposite of the next life? Your religion is a joke, a man-made bunch of goofs and mistakes that have to be fixed and hidden from the masses.
People like you, who cling to the lies no matter what, will not be saved, so I’m really speaking to those who choose the one true God and His rules.
We don't believe in second chances. We believe that those who don't get a chance in this life will get one in the next. The scriptures you quoted me quoting are evidence that Jesus went to hell. We use the King James version of the Bible.

Location hidden

#19426 Dec 16, 2012
Protester wrote:
<quoted text>
There was no Christian baptism before Jesus, and I think He may have gone to baptize those who were dead, to raise them to heaven now that He had been crucified.
"before Jesus"? Do you believe that Jesus always existed? Or that there was a time that he didn't exist? Your statement above seems to imply that Jesus didn't always exist.

Location hidden

#19427 Dec 16, 2012
Protester wrote:
<quoted text>
THIS WORLD is where we were placed, to make the most important decision we’ll ever make, and to use our God-given brains to seek the truth. This is where we make OUR DECISION.
(next post)
We believe that, see Book of Mormon, Alma 34:32 "For behold, this life is the time for men to prepare to meet God; yea, behold the day of this life is the day for men to perform their labors."

Location hidden

#19428 Dec 16, 2012
Protester wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, you asked for it. Them's fightin words:
Mormons Baptize Notorious Killers
Mass murderers and serial killers are among the millions of deceased who have been posthumously baptized in temples owned and operated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS).
These names include the modern-day dictators and mass murderers—Adolf Hitler, Josef Stalin, and Mao Zedong. Other multiple murderers have been posthumously baptized in Mormon temples, like prolific serial killer, Ted Bundy.
…in an interview he gave just hours before his execution, recorded on video and titled Fatal Addiction, Bundy had difficulty coming to terms with his murderous history and impending execution. Bundy was a cold-blooded killer who expressed no feelings of remorse for his crimes.
While they were alive, serial killers, such as Ted Bundy, lived to destroy lives. Evidently, some Mormons think that after death and Mormon temple rituals—as if by some magical transformation—depraved killers, like Bundy, can potentially embrace and perpetually live in the presence of God.
…baptizing deceased murderers on a routine basis downplays the seriousness of murder, cheapens life, and creates the illusion that even the worst criminals can easily be absolved of the consequences of their crimes against humanity. Most of the names of the 19 Arab suicide terrorists, who were intent on destroying American symbols and inflicting mass casualties on 9/11, were submitted into the LDS
Jeffrey Lionel Dahmer (1960-1994) was a depraved serial killer and sex offender from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, who confessed to the murders of 17 men and boys from 1978-1991.
Dahmer is infamous for the grisly way he killed his victims. His gruesome methods of murder included drugging, rape, torture, strangulation, bludgeoning, stabbing, mutilation, necrophilia, dismemberment, and cannibalism. Dahmer was...convicted and sentenced to fifteen consecutive life terms, for a total of 957 years in prison.
It is not known if Mormons have performed proxy temple rituals on Jeffrey Dahmer’s behalf.
He is listed in LDS temple files, but details of any LDS temple ordinances that may be attached to his entry are flagged as not available.
Edward Theodore Gein (1906-1984)
was a deranged murderer and grave robber from Vernon County, Wisconsin. America has never seen his equal in the field of mental aberration, which included necrophilia, cannibalism, and death fetishism, along with murder and grave robbing.
While Gein was only convicted of two murders, the actual number is believed to be much higher.
Edward Theodore Gein was posthumously baptized on April 10, 2009 in the Palmyra New York (LDS) Temple.
He was confirmed in the Medford Oregon (LDS) Temple on April 17, 2009.
Additional proxy rites were performed for Gein in the Newport Beach California (LDS) Temple in May 2009. Ed Gein was known as “The Butcher of Plainfield.” He is listed by that name on notes attached to his LDS record that includes the details of his temple ordinances.
(next post)
And the price of rice in China is.....

I don't see how this has to do with anything.

Marysville, CA

#19429 Dec 16, 2012
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't believe in second chances. We believe that those who don't get a chance in this life will get one in the next. The scriptures you quoted me quoting are evidence that Jesus went to hell. We use the King James version of the Bible.
Jesus going to teach the Je3ws in Paradise, or Abraham's bossum, doesn't mean anyone else will be going to do the same. Why would Jesus need your help in doing that? He can go anytime he wants, and give his message far better than any one of us.
Father Overtime

United States

#19430 Dec 16, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to read Matthew again, because it is clearly telling those works will never get you saved because you can't possibly begin to keep them all. It has the first mention of grace:
Matthew 19:26
And looking at them Jesus said to them,“ With people this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”
But if you insist on paying for your own sins, here's how to do it:
Matthew 5:29-31(NASB)
29 If your right eye makes you stumble, tear it out and throw it from you; for it is better for you to lose one of the parts of your body, than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. 30 If your right hand makes you stumble, cut it off and throw it from you; for it is better for you to lose one of the parts of your body, than for your whole body to go into hell.
Start cutting.
You lack understanding and did not read the whole book if Matthew and again took things out of context for your convenience. Go read it again.
Father Overtime

United States

#19431 Dec 16, 2012
And if you read it, you didn't understand it which validates my assertion that you do not qualify to preach your fake Internet church to me or anyone else until you actually understand what the whole scripture says and stop taking verses out of context. Your Mormon bashing cult only seeks to destroy. Take heart in knowing the anger you feel right now is of the devil and be compelled to repent and be baptized in His church and do your wicked persecution no more. Your Internet church is an abomination.

Location hidden

#19432 Dec 16, 2012
Protester wrote:
Warnings: Godless ministers, priests, Mormons, televangelists, Jehovah’s... http://www.topix.com/forum/us/politics/TQPFM8...
That link you posted to the "exmormon" testimonial, I don't agree with a lot of what was said.

"Exmormon" mentioned mormons used "non christian bible".
-What is a non Christian Bible? We use the King James Version of the Bible.

"Exmormon" mentioned that Jesus Christ was not mentioned in about 3 months in church, except for the prayers.
-I hear Jesus Christ mentioned in every church meeting. I'm just saying...

"Exmormon" says Joseph Smith said that he was better than Jesus.
-See this link: http://mormonconversations.com/did-joseph-smi...

"Exmormon" says DNA disproves Book of Mormon
-See http://en.fairmormon.org/Topical_Guide/Book_o...

^thorough discussion^

I don't view God as "an unapproachable wizard who will zap you down with his magic wand."
^I don't know a Mormon who does.^

Marysville, CA

#19433 Dec 16, 2012
Father Overtime wrote:
<quoted text>
You lack understanding and did not read the whole book if Matthew and again took things out of context for your convenience. Go read it again.
No, you're the one who to take Matt literally. Jesus did not say he was kidding about plucking your eye out or cutting your hand off. You're the one picking choosing what you want to believe.

Marysville, CA

#19434 Dec 16, 2012
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
"Exmormon" mentioned mormons used "non christian bible".
-What is a non Christian Bible? We use the King James Version of the Bible.
Now you are just playing with, being dishonest in doing so. It's clear that the persons real intent was that the Mormon church uses extra biblical scripture in their beliefs.
Father Overtime

Salt Lake City, UT

#19435 Dec 16, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you're the one who to take Matt literally. Jesus did not say he was kidding about plucking your eye out or cutting your hand off. You're the one picking choosing what you want to believe.
Read it and stop denying the truth. Stop making excuses. And stop your hatred of those of other faith. Your Internet ministry is a falsehood that will not last. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will fill the whole earth before His coming, and your misinterpretation will be forgotten.

Marysville, CA

#19436 Dec 16, 2012
Father Overtime wrote:
<quoted text>
Read it and stop denying the truth. Stop making excuses. And stop your hatred of those of other faith. Your Internet ministry is a falsehood that will not last. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will fill the whole earth before His coming, and your misinterpretation will be forgotten.
I don't want your forgiveness, and the Mormon church will always be a little church among the greats. Like the faith of Islam, it is an abomination before God.
Father Overtime

Salt Lake City, UT

#19437 Dec 16, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't want your forgiveness, and the Mormon church will always be a little church among the greats. Like the faith of Islam, it is an abomination before God.
Your open rebellion against His church is fruit of your true intentions. To excuse those that sin, and deny the faith. Refuse the necessity of baptism and claim you are saved just by pretending to believe. You are a false Internet preacher, and your follies are exposed each time you attempt to nullify truth.

Location hidden

#19438 Dec 16, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you are just playing with, being dishonest in doing so. It's clear that the persons real intent was that the Mormon church uses extra biblical scripture in their beliefs.
Extra biblical scriptures? Are you talking about the Book of Mormon? Our King James Bible reads like anyone one's who has a King James.

Marysville, CA

#19439 Dec 16, 2012
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
Extra biblical scriptures? Are you talking about the Book of Mormon? Our King James Bible reads like anyone one's who has a King James.
Yes, I'm referring to all the scripture written by Smith. You also have a JST of the Bible that was created by the imagination of Smith without any manuscripts to back it up. Something you point your fingers at the early churches of doing and accuse them of. If Smith was a true prophet of God, why isn't that the "official" version of the Bible the LDS church uses? Sounds like you doubt your prophet.

Location hidden

#19440 Dec 16, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I'm referring to all the scripture written by Smith. You also have a JST of the Bible that was created by the imagination of Smith without any manuscripts to back it up. Something you point your fingers at the early churches of doing and accuse them of. If Smith was a true prophet of God, why isn't that the "official" version of the Bible the LDS church uses? Sounds like you doubt your prophet.
Our King James reads like any other King James. The JST is in the footnotes and in an appendix in the back. Its not in the main body of the text. I think its consistent with our beliefs. If the Bible was mistranslated and you believe you actually DO have a prophet, like the prophets of old, then I think its not too much to expect that prophet would set the record straight.

Marysville, CA

#19444 Dec 17, 2012
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
Our King James reads like any other King James. The JST is in the footnotes and in an appendix in the back. Its not in the main body of the text. I think its consistent with our beliefs. If the Bible was mistranslated and you believe you actually DO have a prophet, like the prophets of old, then I think its not too much to expect that prophet would set the record straight.
If the prophet did set the record straight, then why isn't his version of the Bible the "official" version? That is a statement of distrust from the leaders of your church saying they don't have faith in your prophet.

Location hidden

#19445 Dec 17, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
If the prophet did set the record straight, then why isn't his version of the Bible the "official" version? That is a statement of distrust from the leaders of your church saying they don't have faith in your prophet.
Perhaps because its COPYRIGHTED by another church. https://www.lds.org/ensign/1972/12/joseph-smi...

Marysville, CA

#19446 Dec 17, 2012
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps because its COPYRIGHTED by another church. https://www.lds.org/ensign/1972/12/joseph-smi...
Poppycock. nothing published in the 1800's is copyrighted. Even if true, why are his changes published in your KVJ version of the Bible. The LDS church wouldn't have been able to do so if it were copyrighted.

Just more LDS doubletalk.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Salt Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Are Aliens Real, if so are they nice or mean? (Oct '12) Aug 15 ray 42
News A police officer ruined their Subway business, ... Aug 14 Overgrownelf79 1
So what's going on with Paul Swenson? Aug 13 Jescrane 2
I love Utah farts Aug 11 JuicyNoodles 1
News Geologists, residents see more movement in Nort... (Apr '16) Apr '16 jsmetzgerin 1
News Loss of members spurred LDS singles ward changes (Apr '11) Feb '15 Blow 4
News Police close to catching Midvale check fraud su... (Sep '10) Jan '15 not surprised 36

North Salt Lake Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

North Salt Lake Mortgages