Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 31994 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#33249 Mar 30, 2014
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah Mouse, we get it. You're a Mormon, you're a victim. You're a victim, you're a Mormon. Same thing and the only point of view you are capable of offering. You could just respond to each post with either, "I'm a victim, I'm a Mormon" and save yourself a lot of posting. We will know what your perspective is.
No you are completely wrong there.

I am a Mormon YESSSSSS!!! I am a Mormon. However, I am not a Victim.

In 1997 I got cancer I was in the hospital for a week in ICU.... 2 days after I got out I graduated from the community college I went to.... SNAP... lol.... I was on the front page of the newspaper the next day I had to be the happiest person there.... or one of the happiest.

Yes I have obstacles I have to endure and overcome... just like everyone else.

My daughter did Relay for Life... she got the most sponsors and was rewarded for her hard work... oh and she was even on the new and she told how important it was to help others and how important the program is.

No I don't look at myself as getting older I'm 44 now and was 27 when I got cancer. I feel like I am living longer not growing older. So if it's so important to label me or if that is your game today I'm a survivor!

It's all in your perspective. I could feel sorry for myself and be angry, hostile, the whore of Babylon with a bottle of whiskey in my hand stumbling down the hall like you but I choose not to... because it's time to go to Church now and worship God.

Have a great day and try to get over yourself and come back to reality!!!!

WE ALL GO THROUGH HARD TIMES....
WE ALL HAVE OBSTACLES... AND TRIALS...

It's not that you fell in the race... it's how you finish.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#33250 Mar 30, 2014
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>It's not a theory. And yes. If I want to support marriage and state I'm for equality, than I need to be able to support polygyny (polygamy & polyandry) and monogamy among consenting adults. If I want to do as you do and support one and reject one or both others, than I label myself as you have labeled yourself a hypocritical prejudicial bigot proving equality is only as equal as you want it to be.
If you want... If you want to support popular vote denying rights to minority classes, please explain how you support poly. It's the silliest thing, you condone bigots and liars throwing money around to remove the rights of gay married couples and yet you support plurals. Does your head spin around if you don't hold it still?

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#33251 Mar 30, 2014
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
If you want... If you want to support popular vote denying rights to minority classes, please explain how you support poly. It's the silliest thing, you condone bigots and liars throwing money around to remove the rights of gay married couples and yet you support plurals. Does your head spin around if you don't hold it still?
You deny rights and support the denial of rights to a minority class that should have had marital rights given to them when it came before SCOTUS almost a century ago. Prejudicial religious bias was used for a decision. SCOTUS sought out and included information for how Christianity had reacted to polygamy in the last 2000 years in making their decision. Please explain how you say your for equality in marriage when you deny specific forms of marriage, how do you justify doing that?
Marriage isn't a silly thing. I understand different forms of marriage seem silly to you because you're not for true equality concerning marriage. You're a true prejudicial biased bigot because the only forms of marriage you accept is what you believe in as being correct, a mirrored thought process of those that only believe straight marriages are correct who you call prejudicial bigots.
If supporting prejudicial biased bigots like you who believe monogamous marriages are the only correct and good marriage makes me a prejudicial bigot, then so be it.
PS....true equality isn't your twisted definition of "partial equality." That why I support any form of marriage (including polygyny) so long as it's between consenting agreeing adults.
pearl

Sandy, UT

#33253 Mar 31, 2014
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
You deny rights and support the denial of rights to a minority class that should have had marital rights given to them when it came before SCOTUS almost a century ago. Prejudicial religious bias was used for a decision. SCOTUS sought out and included information for how Christianity had reacted to polygamy in the last 2000 years in making their decision. Please explain how you say your for equality in marriage when you deny specific forms of marriage, how do you justify doing that?
Marriage isn't a silly thing. I understand different forms of marriage seem silly to you because you're not for true equality concerning marriage. You're a true prejudicial biased bigot because the only forms of marriage you accept is what you believe in as being correct, a mirrored thought process of those that only believe straight marriages are correct who you call prejudicial bigots.
If supporting prejudicial biased bigots like you who believe monogamous marriages are the only correct and good marriage makes me a prejudicial bigot, then so be it.
PS....true equality isn't your twisted definition of "partial equality." That why I support any form of marriage (including polygyny) so long as it's between consenting agreeing adults.
She didn't say marriage is a silly thing.She said you condoning bigots and liars throwing around money to halt gay marriage while at the same time supporting plural marriage is a silly thing. For crying out loud, pay attention.
pearl

Sandy, UT

#33254 Mar 31, 2014
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
In 1997 I got cancer I was in the hospital for a week in ICU.... 2 days after I got out I graduated from the community college I went to.... SNAP... lol.... I was on the front page of the newspaper the next day I had to be the happiest person there.... or one of the happiest.
My daughter did Relay for Life... she got the most sponsors and was rewarded for her hard work... oh and she was even on the new and she told how important it was to help others and how important the program is.
No I don't look at myself as getting older I'm 44 now and was 27 when I got cancer. I feel like I am living longer not growing older. So if it's so important to label me or if that is your game today I'm a survivor!
It's all in your perspective. I could feel sorry for myself and be angry, hostile, the whore of Babylon with a bottle of whiskey in my hand stumbling down the hall like you but I choose not to... because it's time to go to Church now and worship God.
It's not that you fell the race... it's how you finish.
Not a victim, good to hear. Why do you keep portraying yourself as a victim? Why do yo still have that victim mentality? You got a long way to go, but hey, we are all rooting for you.
pearl

Sandy, UT

#33255 Mar 31, 2014
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll disagree of course. It's ignorant and stupid to say the least of you to make less of such an extraordinary event that so few have happen to themselves. Neither did I say we had an answer. So you're wrong and incorrect to imply/insinuate I said we had one. Understand?
I stated it seems only a small percentage of people actually claim to have had a visit from a person they knew after their death. I stated in theory since it seemed so few had these 'experiences' instead of everyone having them or next to no one ever having them, that denoted some possible type of control of who comes back and who doesn't by the theory there's an afterlife regulated by a supreme intelligence we call God.
Geez, again I didn't say you claimed we have an answer. I said we, us, in general. I actually used the phrase we or us in general. As in people who claim to have answers, you know like Mouse.
Now if these kind unexplained events are of interest to you, are you familiar with the story of James Leininger? It's a good one.
pearl

Sandy, UT

#33256 Mar 31, 2014
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
I read to learn for the reason of knowing things. I'll assume you had no interest to learn of polygamists in Utah and that's why you lack knowledge about it. That's okay. Here's some info. I was incorrect to use the word "most". my bad.
https://tv.yahoo.com/news/utah-polygamous-fam...
"Non(Mormon)-affiliated plural families are actually quite common among the estimated 38,000 fundamentalists who practice or believe in polygamy, most living in Utah and other western states, said Anne Wilde, co-founder of a polygamy advocacy group called Principle Voices. The group estimates that about 15,000 are independent like the Williams."
Admittedly, I didn't know that most polygamous marriage in Utah were not due to religious reasons. Maybe because it's not the fact you claimed it to be? It looks as though you do read, but don't learn or at least comprehend what you're reading. But of course, feel free to continue to mock Nomo since as you said, "But you live in Utah and know that fact, right? Now's the time to sarcastically ask me if I think you're really that stupid that you wouldn't know that fact..." Do you make up these "facts" assuming others don't know the real facts or just don't understand what you're reading? Personally I see you doing both.
pearl

Sandy, UT

#33257 Mar 31, 2014
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
The point(as you usually miss it)is that I was being sarcastic, extreme in what I stated. I alluded to that when I made that post and you missed it to as usual. The actual point is that the US military no more uses, endorses slave labor than Walmart does by knowing purpose. Wages of civilians in foreign countries not as modern as our own in the concepts of work and wages earn what we call "slave wages". They earn "slave wages" because they have economies that afford slave wages unlike our own. Their wages can get them a roof over their head to call their own. Those same wages here in the US wouldn't afford one to have a roof over their head.
Us prisoners aren't slaves. But they earn the equivalent of slave wages because their prisoners, not slaves, being punished for breaking the law(s).
But I used your logic that anyone being paid what you call "slave wages" could erroneously be applied to US prisoners to show how twisted your thinking could be applied to other instances.
Also you stated you were against Walmart for selling products made with slave labor and asked why I would(if I did it)buy those products thus indirectly by your logic being a supporter of slave labor, remember? Do I need to paste your very own words to help you remember what you said?
You didn't answer my challenge that you also indirectly by your twisted logic support the slave labor that went into one or more items of your furniture and electrical appliances. Thus you reflect your own hypocrisy by stating/suggesting I do what you also do. So now how will you justify the fact you indirectly support slave labor eh?
First of all my "logic" never claimed U.S. prisoners were slaves, that's on you. Second, I doubt I would ever use the term "slave wages" it's kind of a contradiction, and I didn't refer to wages at all. I'm referring to forced labor. which according to the Department of Labor under international standards means all work or service which is exacted from any person under the means of any penalty for it's non performance and for which the worker does not offer themselves voluntarily, and includes indentured service.
Forced labor includes work performed or obtained by force, fraud, coercion including:
A. by threats of serious body harm to, or physical restraint against any person;
B. by means of any scheme, plan or pattern intended to cause the person to believe that, if the person did not perform such labor or service, that person or another person would suffer serious harm or physical restraint; or
C. by means of the abuse or threatened abuse of law or legal process.
Now you've been schooled on what slavery means. I will address the rest of your post momentarily,{because there is much to address} gotta go, but will be back shortly.
pearl

Sandy, UT

#33258 Mar 31, 2014
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not that you fell in the race... it's how you finish
By the way Mouse, nobody here said you are old, though we are all getting older. If you don't remember where you were when JFK was killed your not even close to being old.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#33259 Mar 31, 2014
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>She didn't say marriage is a silly thing.She said you condoning bigots and liars throwing around money to halt gay marriage while at the same time supporting plural marriage is a silly thing. For crying out loud, pay attention.
Yes, indirectly she did. Pay attention please. I haven't read your other posts yet. Have you figured out a way to justify your stance against buying from Wal-Mart because you claim they sell slave labor products when you use products in your home made from slave labor?

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#33260 Mar 31, 2014
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>Geez, again I didn't say you claimed we have an answer. I said we, us, in general. I actually used the phrase we or us in general. As in people who claim to have answers, you know like Mouse.
Now if these kind unexplained events are of interest to you, are you familiar with the story of James Leininger? It's a good one.
You know what I learned about know it all people as I have been called? In most cases their usually correct. That's because they notice things others don't and when reading they ask themselves questions other don't think to question. Their usually very logically orientated when understanding things. Just saying, not defending :)
I think I heard of his story a long while back. I have heard others like it. People believed to be reincarnations of others long dead and than the one's I like, are those that believe they have lived multiple lives and uncannily know things about dead people they shouldn't know of. Information that others find out by digging deep into libraries or old newspapers etc.
Want my theory? Of course you do ;)P
Believing it's true that there are spirits locked to this earth because of misbehavior in the beginning, spirits as Jesus taught have the power to possess people and animals as they did while he was alive, why couldn't they seeing spirits come and go for thousands of years make an imprint of a dead person's past life upon a living persons mind so the living person believes they lived in the past or they were the reincarnation of someone that died?
That's my theory on our dreams too. We dream of the past days events that's true. But how do we explain how we dream things we know we have never seen or been to etc? What if past life experiences of the dead were being imprinted in our dreams by the spirits locked to this earth? Just a theory mind you :)

Location hidden

#33261 Mar 31, 2014
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, indirectly she did. Pay attention please. I haven't read your other posts yet. Have you figured out a way to justify your stance against buying from Wal-Mart because you claim they sell slave labor products when you use products in your home made from slave labor?
No, I said your "logic"(and I use that term loosely) is silly. While you say you support marriage as a right for polygamists that should NEVER have been taken away, you ALSO say you support those same rights taken away from LGBTs by vote. Silly, confused man.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#33262 Mar 31, 2014
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>Admittedly, I didn't know that most polygamous marriage in Utah were not due to religious reasons. Maybe because it's not the fact you claimed it to be? It looks as though you do read, but don't learn or at least comprehend what you're reading. But of course, feel free to continue to mock Nomo since as you said, "But you live in Utah and know that fact, right? Now's the time to sarcastically ask me if I think you're really that stupid that you wouldn't know that fact..." Do you make up these "facts" assuming others don't know the real facts or just don't understand what you're reading? Personally I see you doing both.
Your first mistake obviously done on purpose was to rehash in part of your post about something that I made a correction about. I did use the word "most". But I corrected myself to Nomo and you saying..."I was incorrect to use the word "most". my bad."

Next, I did mock Nomo. She lives in Utah and has proven for two years she loves to read anything bad and negative about Mormons, including information about splinter Mormon polygamous groups. She's spoke of them on numerous occasions. So it was my thinking(of course I was wrong)that she would have come across numbers for how many polygamous groups there were verses individual polygamous families. That info would have allowed her to understand there are many, many consenting adults in polygamous families where children aren't being forced into illegal marriages.

You do a lot of sticking up for Nomo and Dana? Don't you think their adult enough to handle responses on their own without your constant help as a parent would do for a child? I note on occasions when you speak up for them, they don't make a reply, just like a situation where a parent speaks up for a child because the parent doesn't feel the child is intelligent enough to make a good response of their own. What is this mothering thing you do? Habit? I did some loof see in past posts. You defend Nomo more than Dana. Do you know Nomo? Are you related to her? Is that why you have this "rescue syndrome" going for her?
Nomo calls me a prejudicial bigot because I support peoples rights to believe as they do concerning marriage. Yet Nomo unknowingly till I pointed it out is the biggest and most sincerest prejudicial biased bigots about marriage going. She cries foul about inequality justice for ssm yet she sees no problem denying marriage equality to two other minority groups having their own specific forms of marriage that exist on this earth and have existed for who knows how long. Why don't you defend her on that one?

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#33263 Mar 31, 2014
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>First of all my "logic" never claimed U.S. prisoners were slaves, that's on you. Second, I doubt I would ever use the term "slave wages" it's kind of a contradiction, and I didn't refer to wages at all. I'm referring to forced labor. which according to the Department of Labor under international standards means all work or service which is exacted from any person under the means of any penalty for it's non performance and for which the worker does not offer themselves voluntarily, and includes indentured service.
Forced labor includes work performed or obtained by force, fraud, coercion including:
A. by threats of serious body harm to, or physical restraint against any person;
B. by means of any scheme, plan or pattern intended to cause the person to believe that, if the person did not perform such labor or service, that person or another person would suffer serious harm or physical restraint; or
C. by means of the abuse or threatened abuse of law or legal process.
Now you've been schooled on what slavery means. I will address the rest of your post momentarily,{because there is much to address} gotta go, but will be back shortly.
I explained that I had been sarcastic in past posts using your logic in a reversed manner. Why can't you read what I write? I didn't state as fact you claimed US prisoners were slaves. I explained that to you. Please take a moment to read what I write will you?
And thanks for the reup on forced labor. I understand what it is. I saw it. We actually have it in the US Federal prison systems and some state prisons. The prison law goes like this. If you live in population and jobs are available to be had, prisoners will fill those jobs. If a prisoner rejects the work, they get sent to the hole, a tiny cell large enough for one or double bunks, a shitter wash basin combo and a table-chair affixed to the wall. They have about five feet to pace back and forth in. So all prisoners take the job as it's being forced on them.
But in UNICOR, to get inmates to work in the factories, they offer on average .80 cents to a buck an hour to start with. Months later if they haven't screwed up or broke rules and are still working, they'll get a ten to twenty cent raise. If they quit, their option is the hole till they agree to come out and work in population again.
Unicor also uses forced prison labor and slave wages to make mail bag locks for the US mail service among other non-military made items.
So understand when I use the phrase "slave wages" I'm speaking of people that are in such a economic position that the only $ to be made is by a forced choice or they make no $ at all because of the lack of work opportunities that a company is using in their favor. The company makes the only factory in the area and offers slave wages and those people there are forced to take what is offered because nothing else exists for work, understand? That's another form of "forced labor" when the worker has no other options at hand but to go without.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#33264 Mar 31, 2014
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I said your "logic"(and I use that term loosely) is silly. While you say you support marriage as a right for polygamists that should NEVER have been taken away, you ALSO say you support those same rights taken away from LGBTs by vote. Silly, confused man.
By the way, thankyou for the civil speech of lately, it's a nice change :)

Your logic is silly because you specify my logic to specific things and forget all it encompasses. See, while I support the right for people to vote no and deny marriage rights to ssm couples seeking that marriage right, I also (which you constantly conveniently leave out) support the right for people to vote yes to ssm couples seeking marriage rights which by your logic is even more silly of me to do right?

Location hidden

#33265 Mar 31, 2014
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>By the way, thankyou for the civil speech of lately, it's a nice change :)

Your logic is silly because you specify my logic to specific things and forget all it encompasses. See, while I support the right for people to vote no and deny marriage rights to ssm couples seeking that marriage right, I also (which you constantly conveniently leave out) support the right for people to vote yes to ssm couples seeking marriage rights which by your logic is even more silly of me to do right?
No, twisted as it is for you, supporting marriage rights and also supporting voting them away for certain individuals makes you chase your tail. How do you support equality while at the same time, support those rights being voted away? You can't have it both ways, no matter how many twisted novels you write.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#33266 Mar 31, 2014
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>First of all my "logic" never claimed U.S. prisoners were slaves, that's on you.
Since you're all up on this forced labor, try some of this info...

http://www.unicor.gov/prodservices/prod_dir_s...

I took the following clips from that link. It's really sadly funny. Very depressing actually.

"FPI is, first and foremost, a correctional program. The whole impetus behind Federal Prison Industries is not about business, but instead, about inmate release preparation...."
The above is partial truth but mostly a lie. The only truth is it's a correctional program. Inmates get no "diplomas" of any type like one would in the free world after learning something for a job field.

"The whole impetus behind Federal Prison Industries is not about business,.."

The above is an out right lie. Read the following link.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/15/unic...
"But critics accuse Unicor, which last year pulled in $900 million in revenue,"

They make $900 million off forced labor and how much do they give back to the community? "to the courts, crime victims, and inmate families - In FY 2012, inmates who worked in FPI factories contributed almost $1.2 million of their earnings..."

The reason UNICOR makes so much is because they have no actual payroll that would normally include health care, retirement funds, unions, normal wages per hour, literally not a single solitary out going expenditure concerning workers. They but raw materials and use government buildings and machinery at no actual cost except for utilities and after production everything is in the black and never sees a red inked day. All on the backs of prisoners forced to make a choice, work or sit in the hole.
pearl

Sandy, UT

#33267 Mar 31, 2014
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
The point(as you usually miss it)is that I was being sarcastic, extreme in what I stated. I alluded to that when I made that post and you missed it to as usual. The actual point is that the US military no more uses, endorses slave labor than Walmart does by knowing purpose. Wages of civilians in foreign countries not as modern as our own in the concepts of work and wages earn what we call "slave wages". They earn "slave wages" because they have economies that afford slave wages unlike our own. Their wages can get them a roof over their head to call their own. Those same wages here in the US wouldn't afford one to have a roof over their head.
Us prisoners aren't slaves. But they earn the equivalent of slave wages because their prisoners, not slaves, being punished for breaking the law(s).
But I used your logic that anyone being paid what you call "slave wages" could erroneously be applied to US prisoners to show how twisted your thinking could be applied to other instances.
Also you stated you were against Walmart for selling products made with slave labor and asked why I would(if I did it)buy those products thus indirectly by your logic being a supporter of slave labor, remember? Do I need to paste your very own words to help you remember what you said?
You didn't answer my challenge that you also indirectly by your twisted logic support the slave labor that went into one or more items of your furniture and electrical appliances. Thus you reflect your own hypocrisy by stating/suggesting I do what you also do. So now how will you justify the fact you indirectly support slave labor eh?
True, I didn't realize you were being sarcastic when you said, "The military no more uses, endorses slave labor than Walmart does by knowing purpose." I thought you were ignorant since executive order 13126 prohibits the military from acquisition of products produced by forced or indentured child labor. Walmart has no such policy. And Walmart does indeed acquire products from forced labor and is well aware of the fact, they have been called out on it many times by watchdog groups. So as usual, there is no correlation with the analogy you provide, but I'm sure you will keep trying.
pearl

Sandy, UT

#33268 Mar 31, 2014
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
First. not all heteros and gays want to be engaged in marriage and couldn't care if it existed or was done away with tomorrow and everyone just went back to community type union celebrations as it use to be. So a person that votes no on ssm is only hurting a few who want it for an option.
And walking up to a soldier and telling them you don't support what they do and it would be better in your opinion if they stopped being a soldier because you don't like nor support military personnel, you've done as much psychological damage as if you had said the same but to a gay person about ssm rights. So voting isn't the real issue. People and state legislators state by state are voting for ssm that once said no to it.
Just a few, really? Is that more than a couple but less than a dozen? Well geez, that makes sense, if it's only a few, fuck em, it's that it?
And yes, I agree that walking up to a soldier and giving a uninvited opinion of their service is messed up. Degrading remarks can be damaging and I see you feel strong enough to speak out about that. So why do you come here day in and day out and refer to Nomo as vile, ugly, retarded and any other derogatory name you can come up with? Why do you day in and day out claim to anyone that will listen that Nomo is just an ugly person full of hate and rage? Are you performing a public service? Gotta make sure everyone knows what you think of Nomo? If your comments push her over the edge and she kills herself can we go ahead and agree that you caused it? Or is it' let me guess, your way of being helpful?
pearl

Sandy, UT

#33269 Mar 31, 2014
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
No it's not BS. Your uninformed opinion is bs. Try reading web stats on Viet vet suicides and causes and get rid of your bs. Just a suggestion.
Maybe you don't know this but the public and the Viet vets made their peace along time ago, yet the Viet vets are still killing themselves in droves. The vets knew what to expect from the public upon their return, they knew the tone of the country, what they didn't expect was the betrayal of their government, most notably the V.A. To go fight a hideous war only to have to abandon it proving it was all for not. That was the slap in the face, THEIR STILL KILLING THEMSELVES and nobody is calling them baby killers. Are there Iraq war vets killing themselves, yep, lots. Are you going to say it's because of God hates dead soldier protests? They kill themselves because they can't adjust. Not because of what a protester thinks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Salt Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
cómo tener éxito 2 hr larson 1
News Bill to ban airport smoking soars through Senat... 13 hr Scrow Tumm 5
LDS Church ( WAKE UP ) Jun 23 wormwood 2
Read About MTC Corporation on Job Corps Fraud Blog (May '10) Jun 21 deblferg58 2
Evolution is obvious (Dec '11) Jun 18 Socialism Now 56
Magic Players (Nov '14) Jun 15 IonaBurris 2
News Geologists, residents see more movement in Nort... Apr '16 jsmetzgerin 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

North Salt Lake Mortgages