Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 32069 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#32757 Feb 21, 2014
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Why can't you take a moment to get what you said correct? You Said Smith plagiarized two things, one of them being French. I pasted what you said twice now in two past posts. I said Smith didn't plagiarize French. I said he may have used French but he didn't plagiarize it. So you have proved nothing but that you can't even remember the context of your own posts and you can't even remember what I said correctly so instead of going back to see what you said and how I replied, you lie about my response. Now your all upset at yourself.
Next. There's no proof a person named Jesus existed. What we have are stories. Stories like in Genesis you said were lies and fables. We have people that claim a person called Jesus existed. Well we have many Greek writers and Roman writers that testify their gods lived and existed to.
The fact remains that before the NT existed, certain writers at certain times factually plagiarized each other and their sources in certain chapters for their stories. That's a fact. That's a historical fact. It's a fact because the writings don't date to the time Jesus lived. The writings were written AFTER, long AFTER his death. That means each writer sought out previous existing stories to write their plagiarized version. But that type plagiarizing is fine and well for you.
I never ever said he plagiarize a language you moron. You can't plagiarize a religion, you use it or not. Plagiarizing was your ignorant claim trying to change the facts, as usual. I was making fun of the fact he had Jews speaking Reformed Egyptian using french. There is plenty of proof Jesus existed, if you want to deny that, I don't care. It's all more BS on your part to try to make the perverted LDS church legit.

Marysville, CA

#32758 Feb 21, 2014
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you read what I said....
I did not say that I had been TO THAT Baptist Church.
I said I had been to Baptist's Churches before....
And you claimed they all pocket the tithing, after denying some churches even post their budgets online for anyone to examine, you're full of crap.

What is the Mormon church hiding they don't want us to know? Hiding is the work of thieves.

Marysville, CA

#32759 Feb 21, 2014
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
We all have our moments as you just so willing proved.
You're aware modern(note that word, MODERN, not OLD) English the major language Smith used for the BOM didn't exist prior to 600 ADE? Are you aware of that?
Next. Let's see how much attention you pay to information you may have heard. If you didn't hear it now you will.
Smith (and scribes witnessing him as they wrote the story for him) said he looked at plates and translated what he saw into his English. People seem to want to forget this part in their need or want to be biased critics. Not one of the scribes ever stated(even those that left the faith)smith read from borrowed books they got from people to gain ideas from.
Know what that means from the point of critics? It means if Smith studied other written English works to take his ideas from, prior to speaking and a scribe writing what he said, it means he had a photographic memory to remember all he previously read as he pretended to make a translation without those books there during his translation.
Smith didn't have a photographic memory. Smith wasn't educated but to an eight grade education if that. Prior to the BOM Smith had never written anything beyond a letter or such. Smith had absolutely no knowledge of how to construct a story for the purpose of writing. And Smith never wrote another book after wards which one would have thought he could have done very easily, if in deed he could read other's works and plagiarize them so well to create a 500 page book from memory others would write out for him and than have a first draft published with few changes.
That feat by today standards would make him an absolute literary genius, even a savant of writing stories from ideas from others.
Those are problems critics have.
Old English didn't use French either, that's why it's call "English", DUH!!!

Marysville, CA

#32760 Feb 21, 2014
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
You forget the LDS church has to show open finances for Canada and the UK. So their finances aren't as hidden as you claim if you know math conversion to do a US figure per population of Mormons.
Also, for as long as they have been reveling their finances in those countries, nothing has been found by those governments to be hiding. No secret off shore bank accounts, no secret Swiss accounts, no church bought multi-million dollar mansions for each apostle, no expensive sport cars, no golf vacations, no lavish La or New York or Chicago or Miami or Hawaii parties, no nothing. Kind of sticking a dent in your hiding theory but I'll keep looking for possibilities :)
Yet they refuse to give full disclosure. The actions of thieves.

Marysville, CA

#32761 Feb 21, 2014
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
I luv admittance's like this one of your own that you didn't have any idea you admitted to...lol.
I think I can get a few people here to affirm a bit ago that in your 30 years as a Mormon, you learned more about Mormon history than any of us. That you personally could out do any of us in a historical discussion of Mormons because you claimed you know so much more than any one here. I'm sure one or more of us could leaf back through the pages and get your exact quote.
My point is that if you're so well read,(and we discussed the library's as a source of possible information months ago, maybe a year ago) why don't you remember the info you discussed and told me about so long ago you now doubt? You brought up the libraries. I did the research into the libraries. The libraries had membership lists. Smith wasn't on them. You have forgotten and now you doubt what your fantastic knowledge of Mormon history should be remembering?
A lot of BS for "I made it up", because that was anything but proof or a source. Your butt isn't a source of anything. LOL!!!

Marysville, CA

#32762 Feb 21, 2014
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Also, as usual, I'll post what you said so you can read it and than as usual, you'll ignore what you actually stated and go off on a different tangent.
You stated Smith stole(plagiarized as is your favorite word)... "The idiot even quotes a line from Shakespeare in one verse, and says goodbye in French in another." ....those were your words regarding you stating Smith plagiarizing Shakespeare and the French language. Remember now?
This was my reply.... "You could have taken a moment to prove how he plagiarized from Shakespeare and how he plagiarized 'goodbye' in French." ...understand? I never said he didn't use French. My point was that you can't plagiarize a language, like French, which was your point. That he plagiarized the French language as you claimed he plagiarized Shakespeare.
Now what?
You know you can't plagiarize a language, right dumbass? Saying "goodbye in French" is using another language in a supposedly "English" translation.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#32763 Feb 21, 2014
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
And you claimed they all pocket the tithing, after denying some churches even post their budgets online for anyone to examine, you're full of crap.
What is the Mormon church hiding they don't want us to know? Hiding is the work of thieves.
I did not say ALL... stop putting words in my mouth. Some do. Just like SOME of the Army do who collect money outside Wal-mart.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#32764 Feb 21, 2014
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
and SOME churches post what they want you to see of their budgets online for anyone to examine... and SOME don't.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#32765 Feb 21, 2014
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey you have a website...
Why don't you publish your taxes on the Internet.
Like I said post your taxes online...

Do you think that is anyone's business?

I tell you I would be weary of going to a Church who had their "Budget" posted online... you would never know who knew that info and come in and rob the place while you are there.

So, don't be a moron.

This is about the dumbest argument I've seen yet.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#32766 Feb 21, 2014
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
You know you can't plagiarize a language, right dumbass? Saying "goodbye in French" is using another language in a supposedly "English" translation.
There was no guarantee anybody plagiarized anything.

YOU claim it... so put up Ethans writings and than Josephs writings... and dates of the writings and where they came from URL, Book, etc.

Put up or Shut up.

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#32767 Feb 21, 2014
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
I never ever said he plagiarize a language you moron. You can't plagiarize a religion, you use it or not. Plagiarizing was your ignorant claim trying to change the facts, as usual. I was making fun of the fact he had Jews speaking Reformed Egyptian using french. There is plenty of proof Jesus existed, if you want to deny that, I don't care. It's all more BS on your part to try to make the perverted LDS church legit.
Speaking of a moronic admittance, chew on this one you stated you now deny. You said...
"Didn't see any references to "The View of the Hebrews" and the other 50 sources Smith stole from to make it up the BoM. The idiot even quotes(stolen to you) a line from Shakespeare in one verse, and says goodbye in French in another. Of course Ancient Jews speaking reformed Egyptian spoke a lot of French. LOL!!!"
Note the word STOLEN you used to clarify all the following you accused Smith of having STOLEN from a source. That was your insinuation/implication of that French word smith used, that along with all the other things you mentioned he stole from, that to you he also stole the word from the French language. Other wise if to you he didn't steal the word from the French language, why did you make such a big deal about it?

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#32768 Feb 21, 2014
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Old English didn't use French either, that's why it's call "English", DUH!!!
You realize what you just stated made no sense at all? That old English didn't use French? Do you know that? People have mixed a word to many words of one language into a primary language they used to write with for whatever the reason be they did it.
So the fact that you claim writers don't interject words from a different language into another shows what you don't know.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#32769 Feb 21, 2014
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet they refuse to give full disclosure. The actions of thieves.
Yeah, yeah, yeah. If The LDS were giving full disclosure they would still be thieves to you and hiding info. Your diatribe gets old dude, seriously.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#32770 Feb 21, 2014
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
A lot of BS for "I made it up", because that was anything but proof or a source. Your butt isn't a source of anything. LOL!!!
Tuck it and run maneuver? You said you knew more than any of us of Mormon history. You should know those two libraries required memberships. Now you claim a lie and say it's not true? You should know that it's a substantiated fact those two libraries only accepted members to rent and or borrow library books oh self proclaimed Mormon historian. But here you are AGAIN denying it's true what you should know!
You should be claiming what I said is true because as a great all knowing Mormon historian that knows more about Mormon history than any one here (that was you boast) that you should be trying to show how Smith got around getting access to the libraries in spite of not being a member to prove in your opinion how he read all the books you claim he sat around idly and read.
Now you make a liar of yourself of all this knowledge you claimed you had, denying and challenging me about the info that you should already know, that you claimed that we know nothing of.
You really need to regroup dude, seriously.

Marysville, CA

#32771 Feb 21, 2014
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking of a moronic admittance, chew on this one you stated you now deny. You said...
"Didn't see any references to "The View of the Hebrews" and the other 50 sources Smith stole from to make it up the BoM. The idiot even quotes(stolen to you) a line from Shakespeare in one verse, and says goodbye in French in another. Of course Ancient Jews speaking reformed Egyptian spoke a lot of French. LOL!!!"
Note the word STOLEN you used to clarify all the following you accused Smith of having STOLEN from a source. That was your insinuation/implication of that French word smith used, that along with all the other things you mentioned he stole from, that to you he also stole the word from the French language. Other wise if to you he didn't steal the word from the French language, why did you make such a big deal about it?
To point out how stupid it is to think that Jews speaking reformed Egyptian comes out as French in a English translation? How is "adieu" a better translation than a simple "so long" or "goodbye?" How do Jews quote Shakespeare before he was born? Hmmm.....

Marysville, CA

#32772 Feb 21, 2014
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, yeah, yeah. If The LDS were giving full disclosure they would still be thieves to you and hiding info. Your diatribe gets old dude, seriously.
Really? Have them fully disclose and see if you're right, dumbass. Thieves hide, honest churches fully disclose.

Marysville, CA

#32773 Feb 21, 2014
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Tuck it and run maneuver? You said you knew more than any of us of Mormon history. You should know those two libraries required memberships. Now you claim a lie and say it's not true? You should know that it's a substantiated fact those two libraries only accepted members to rent and or borrow library books oh self proclaimed Mormon historian. But here you are AGAIN denying it's true what you should know!
You should be claiming what I said is true because as a great all knowing Mormon historian that knows more about Mormon history than any one here (that was you boast) that you should be trying to show how Smith got around getting access to the libraries in spite of not being a member to prove in your opinion how he read all the books you claim he sat around idly and read.
Now you make a liar of yourself of all this knowledge you claimed you had, denying and challenging me about the info that you should already know, that you claimed that we know nothing of.
You really need to regroup dude, seriously.
1. I don't know they required membership, that is your claim.
2. Have never heard such, a chance for you to teach me or stop bitching about what you think I should or should not know(And this from an idiot who claim the Word of Wisdom wasn't a commandment in the LDS church)
3. Prove it or stop the bullshit.
4. The fact you haven't proven it yet and just go on like a stupid igit, only tells me you're full of shit(as usual) and can't prove it. Feel free to prove me wrong. Waiting... LOL!!!

Marysville, CA

#32774 Feb 21, 2014
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
I did not say ALL... stop putting words in my mouth. Some do. Just like SOME of the Army do who collect money outside Wal-mart.
Your were the one who claimed the budget wasn't a full disclosure. Maybe you shouldn't talk out of your ass about things you don't know about. This seems to be a common problem between you and your boyfriend today.

Marysville, CA

#32775 Feb 21, 2014
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
Like I said post your taxes online...
You first.

I don't collect tithe, I'm not a tax free organization. DUH!!!

Marysville, CA

#32776 Feb 21, 2014
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
There was no guarantee anybody plagiarized anything.
YOU claim it... so put up Ethans writings and than Josephs writings... and dates of the writings and where they came from URL, Book, etc.
Put up or Shut up.
Here is a whole study on the topic with references. Knock yourself out.

http://www.utlm.org/onlinebooks/changech5b.ht...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Salt Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News In a national first, LGBT advocates sue Utah sc... 2 hr Bloomp 11
News Mormons: We are Christians, too (Apr '07) 3 hr Lucy 28,895
More Problems with the Book of Mormon 22 hr Loujean 33
White men! Date a woman with bi-racial kids? (May '11) Sun Cornilious 83
Mitt Romney is a turd Sun Cornilious 31
Utah sucks Sat Jaquell 2
why mormon missionaries have sex with married w... (Jun '12) Dec 2 Robin 34

North Salt Lake Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance