Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 31996 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#30680 Dec 28, 2013
1 Kings 15:12
He put away the male cult prostitutes out of the land and removed all the idols that his fathers had made.(ESV)

2 Kings 23:7
He also tore down the living quarters of the male and female shrine prostitutes that were inside the Temple of the LORD, where the women wove coverings for the Asherah pole.(NLT)

Romans 1:18-32
But God shows his anger from heaven against all sinful, wicked people who suppress the truth by their wickedness.... Yes, they knew God, but they wouldn't worship him as God or even give him thanks. And they began to think up foolish ideas of what God was like. As a result, their minds became dark and confused. Claiming to be wise, they instead became utter fools. And instead of worshiping the glorious, ever-living God, they worshiped idols made to look like mere people and birds and animals and reptiles.

So God abandoned them to do whatever shameful things their hearts desired. As a result, they did vile and degrading things with each other's bodies. They traded the truth about God for a lie. So they worshiped and served the things God created instead of the Creator himself, who is worthy of eternal praise! Amen.

That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other. And the men, instead of having normal sexual relations with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with other men, and as a result of this sin, they suffered within themselves the penalty they deserved.

Since they thought it foolish to acknowledge God, he abandoned them to their foolish thinking and let them do things that should never be done. Their lives became full of every kind of wickedness, sin, greed, hate, envy, murder, quarreling, deception, malicious behavior, and gossip. They are backstabbers, haters of God, insolent, proud, and boastful. They invent new ways of sinning, and they disobey their parents. They refuse to understand, break their promises, are heartless, and have no mercy. They know God's justice requires that those who do these things deserve to die, yet they do them anyway. Worse yet, they encourage others to do them, too.(NLT)

1 Corinthians 6:9-11
Don't you realize that those who do wrong will not inherit the Kingdom of God? Don't fool yourselves. Those who indulge in sexual sin, or who worship idols, or commit adultery, or are male prostitutes, or practice homosexuality, or are thieves, or greedy people, or drunkards, or are abusive, or cheat people-none of these will inherit the Kingdom of God. Some of you were once like that. But you were cleansed; you were made holy; you were made right with God by calling on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.(NLT)

1 Timothy 1:8-10
Now we know that the law is good, if one uses it lawfully, understanding this, that the law is not laid down for the just but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who strike their fathers and mothers, for murderers, the sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, enslavers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine ...(ESV)

Jude 7
And don't forget Sodom and Gomorrah and their neighboring towns, which were filled with immorality and every kind of sexual perversion. Those cities were destroyed by fire and serve as a warning of the eternal fire of God's judgment.(NIV)

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#30681 Dec 28, 2013
The Thirteen Articles of Faith

1 We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

2 We believe that men will be punished for their bown sins, and not for Adam’s transgression.

3 We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

4 We believe that the first principles and aordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

5 We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.

6 We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

7 We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.

8 We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

9 We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet breveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

10 We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisaical glory.

11 We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

12 We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

13 We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to gendure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

Joseph Smith.

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/pgp/a-of-f/1...

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#30683 Dec 28, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
Sweet, word games are fun. Here's one..what's the status of "gay married Mormons? What will your church do ..one word.
Too easy. Nothing.
Now one for you. What would be the status of same sex marriage if legislators had never passed laws the public actually voted against? Two words.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#30684 Dec 28, 2013
getnerdav wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =FoiU7lKJqS8XX
Im saying Mormons are not Christians heres why...
I say Christians are a cult, here's why.
They say God made the Bible. God said no such thing.
They say God commands us to believe only in the Bible. God said no such thing.
They believe prophets existed and but aren't needed any more
They believe apostles existed and aren't needed any more.
They believe revelation was once received and isn't needed any more.
They believe all they need to know of God was written some 1800 to 2000 years
ago and we need top know nothing new from God.
They declare God has quit telling us anything new because they think God has nothing new to say to us now.
They like to tell God how things are according to how they believe.
Those are some of the reasons why I say modern Christianity is a cult and nothing more.

Location hidden

#30685 Dec 28, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>Too easy. Nothing.
Now one for you. What would be the status of same sex marriage if legislators had never passed laws the public actually voted against? Two words.
I'm not sure what you're asking..

Location hidden

#30686 Dec 28, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>Too easy. Nothing.
What if they have temple recommends? Will they allow them in the temple?

Willow Springs, MO

#30687 Dec 28, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>What if they have temple recommends? Will they allow them in the temple?
Homosexuals have been in the temple countless times, I'm sure. Even married and sealed for all time and eternity. The only thing is they lied when getting that recommend, and were married to someone of the opposite sex.

Location hidden

#30688 Dec 28, 2013
Livinginthelandofcrazy wrote:
<quoted text>Homosexuals have been in the temple countless times, I'm sure. Even married and sealed for all time and eternity. The only thing is they lied when getting that recommend, and were married to someone of the opposite sex.
Will they let the honest ones in?

Willow Springs, MO

#30689 Dec 28, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>Will they let the honest ones in?
Yes.
"Those in the Church who are attracted to someone of the same sex but stay faithful to the Church’s teachings can be happy during this life and perform meaningful service in the Church. They can enjoy full fellowship with other Church members, including attending and serving in temples, and ultimately receive all the blessings afforded to those who live the commandments of God."

Willow Springs, MO

#30690 Dec 28, 2013
<quoted text>Yes.
"Those in the Church who are attracted to someone of the same sex but stay faithful to the Church’s teachings can be happy during this life and perform meaningful service in the Church. They can enjoy full fellowship with other Church members, including attending and serving in temples, and ultimately receive all the blessings afforded to those who live the commandments of God."
Church's*

Location hidden

#30691 Dec 28, 2013
Church's*
The married ones.. Will they let married gay Mormons in the temple?

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#30692 Dec 28, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
He just told you the answer... you are just playing with him. Just because the judicial law changes... doesn't mean God's law changes.

People can act and do as they decide they have to do or want to do...
God doesn't change his laws or commands because of judicial law.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#30693 Dec 28, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
You must be following all of God's commandments to enter into the Holy Temple. I personally believe God will deal with people who lie to get into his Holy Temple will be dealt with by Heavenly Father. Something I, myself, wish to avoid as much as possible.

It is freedom of choice to come to this earth... and it is freedom of choice that gets you back into the Kingdom of God after this time on earth. Depending on how one chooses... and nobody can choose for them... they must choose for themselves.

Location hidden

#30694 Dec 28, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>He just told you the answer... you are just playing with him. Just because the judicial law changes... doesn't mean God's law changes.

People can act and do as they decide they have to do or want to do...
God doesn't change his laws or commands because of judicial law.
I'm not playing with him..I'm really curious to see what the church does with their married gay members. You're just paranoid. And really weird..

Location hidden

#30695 Dec 28, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>You must be following all of God's commandments to enter into the Holy Temple. I personally believe God will deal with people who lie to get into his Holy Temple will be dealt with by Heavenly Father. Something I, myself, wish to avoid as much as possible.

It is freedom of choice to come to this earth... and it is freedom of choice that gets you back into the Kingdom of God after this time on earth. Depending on how one chooses... and nobody can choose for them... they must choose for themselves.
So, they will lose their temple recommends? Will they be exed too?

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#30696 Dec 28, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not playing with him..I'm really curious to see what the church does with their married gay members. You're just paranoid. And really weird..
Nah, I have no worries. I will tell you what the Church will do NOTHING. The Church will do the same as it has been doing. It will stay the same.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#30697 Dec 28, 2013
Read what Crazy said:
Homosexuals have been in the temple countless times, I'm sure. Even married and sealed for all time and eternity. The only thing is they lied when getting that recommend, and were married to someone of the opposite sex.

"Those in the Church who are attracted to someone of the same sex but stay faithful to the Church's teachings can be happy during this life and perform meaningful service in the Church. They can enjoy full fellowship with other Church members, including attending and serving in temples, and ultimately receive all the blessings afforded to those who live the commandments of God."

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#30698 Dec 28, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
...and thanks for calling me really weird. I'd hate to be the norm these days.:)

Willow Springs, MO

#30699 Dec 28, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>The married ones.. Will they let married gay Mormons in the temple?
That's really not for me to say. I'm not in a position to make that decision. It'd be like me asking you if Obama would do something. Just because you follow him and support him doesn't mean you speak for him, or can make decisions for him.

Location hidden

#30700 Dec 28, 2013
<quoted text>That's really not for me to say. I'm not in a position to make that decision. It'd be like me asking you if Obama would do something. Just because you follow him and support him doesn't mean you speak for him, or can make decisions for him.
I know..and your leaders haven't made it clear, I'm just curious. It doesn't look good for them, no matter what they choose.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Salt Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News After convention discord, Utah GOP delegates ho... Fri wormwood 2
Looking for a girl friend (May '07) Thu dert 799
West Valley Gang Bangers.. (Nov '08) Jul 19 blow me 75
News Speaker to World Congress of Families: Don't la... (Oct '15) Jul 19 Bush Romney Boycott 26
News Geologists, residents see more movement in Nort... Apr '16 jsmetzgerin 1
News Loss of members spurred LDS singles ward changes (Apr '11) Feb '15 Blow 4
News Police close to catching Midvale check fraud su... (Sep '10) Jan '15 not surprised 36

North Salt Lake Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

North Salt Lake Mortgages