Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Oct 12, 2011 Full story: CNN 32,002

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Read more

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#30667 Dec 27, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
lol... neverrmind.

I looked up satire

noun: satire

1. the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.
A new word everyday

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#30668 Dec 27, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
A new word everyday
That's a good idea... instead of the bickering and crap that we discuss sometimes.

A word game sounds more interesting and fun.:)

Location hidden

#30669 Dec 27, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>That's a good idea... instead of the bickering and crap that we discuss sometimes.

A word game sounds more interesting and fun.:)
Sweet, word games are fun. Here's one..what's the status of "gay married Mormons? What will your church do ..one word.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#30670 Dec 27, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
Sweet, word games are fun. Here's one..what's the status of "gay married Mormons? What will your church do ..one word.
"Obey" the Lords Commands...

That means not being concerned so much about everyone else... but obeying commands yourself. I believe that is what the Church will do because the God's word is ever lasting.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#30671 Dec 27, 2013
NoMo...

A persons sexuality is theirs in my opinion. I can not tell someone who to have sex with or who to have a relationship or not with.

In fact, I have a friend of mine who is gay and she was once married to a woman thought I had to be judging her because I am religious. When we spoke about this matter I told her that her sexuality was her choice; the same as, it is my choice to be religions and try to obey God's commands to the best of my ability..

It was funny because I never even brought the topic up to her. She just assumed that because being Gay is against God's commands I must be judging her... but I told her it is not my place to judge her because of her sexuality... and she would have to sort that out because I didn't have an issue with her being gay.

People know that God said that sex is between a man and a woman.

I think there is a lot of confusion in this controversial topic. I as a Mormon choose not to dictate to people but to let people choose for themselves... I think that is what God wants. Though I also think God wants us to let people know what his commandments are. I don't think he wants us to force them on people.

it was not me judging her so much as it was her thinking I was judging her because I'm religious.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#30672 Dec 27, 2013
* delete of mine

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#30673 Dec 27, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
"Obey" the Lords Commands...
That means not being concerned so much about everyone else... but obeying commands yourself. I believe that is what the Church will do because the God's word is ever lasting.
Just like those laws banning blacks from the priesthood, and to live in polygamy were.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#30674 Dec 28, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Just like those laws banning blacks from the priesthood, and to live in polygamy were.
Of course are you are worried about is genitals, underwear, and ppl having sex... that is because you a pervert.

//
Regarding black people and the priesthood.
I already gave you my opinion regarding the topic... and we are not exactly told why the Lord advised Joseph Smith what he did.

Though if you consider the fact that the Mormons migration started in New York (THE NORTH ANTI-SLAVERY) during a time the time of Slavery to Ohio, then to Missouri (Pro-Slavery state)... you can see why the problem arose.

>People in the south had slaves. People in the north did not.(CONFLICT).

>Slaves couldn't choose for themselves...'I do not think the Lord would intentionally make Slavery worse. He allows us to falter and make things worse on our own. He helps us when we ask for it and do his will.

Wouldn't giving someone something just so they would be persecution intensifying the problem?

>Mormons were being hunted and killed during this time. They had to flea and eventually end up in Utah.

When the Mormons fled to Missouri in the 1830's they were faced with the population of the state that had different beliefs than they did.

The population fought them from voting in the 1838 election because the Missouri population "were people who, while they didn't really hold slaves, they believed in racial hierarchy and they believed in slavery." So while slavery wasn't the central issue in the conflict, it was one of many cultural differences. "Thus, the Mormons were an easy target. They were different. Their beliefs were different."

Mormons had to defend themselves against their neighbors during this time because they did not want change... eventually the Mormons ended up in Utah.

//
I am sure you have heard... let one die than a thousand for the greater good of the population. Joseph Smith had to protect the entire Mormon population... and I do not question why the Lord advised Joseph Smith to do what he did in order to survive.

If YOU question the Lord than that is an issue between you and the Lord... and you need to take it TO the Lord.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#30675 Dec 28, 2013
*** just to be clear...

Mormons had to defend themselves against their neighbors during this time because they (The Missourians of that time) did not want change... eventually the Mormons ended up in Utah.

“I will not keep calm”

Since: Mar 08

Raise hell...change the world

#30676 Dec 28, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
All Christian Religions THAT ARE BASED on the BIBLE are
PRO-Christ : ANTI-homosexuality.
Now... some religions are caving in to PEER Pressure (Another words, Society Desires) but that does not make it HOLY... nor does it make it right. You scorn people for living faithful, righteous lives... and that is sad. Not for those you scorn, but for yourself on Judgement Day.
I don't think religions are caving to peer pressure at all. I think maybe clergy is finally starting to remember that one of the greatest commandments is to love one another. Sin is sin, period. Personally, I don't believe that homosexuality is a sin. If you are born gay, and created by heavenly father, why would it be a sin? However lets go back to your opinion of homosexuality being a sin. So is judging others, so is coveting your neighbor, so is being unkind to your fellow human. Is your sin somehow lesser than other peoples sins?

“I will not keep calm”

Since: Mar 08

Raise hell...change the world

#30677 Dec 28, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
Merry Christmas, Crazy, and Not Ashamed, if you are still around.
Belated Merry Christmas :) Hope yours was wonderful !!

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#30678 Dec 28, 2013
not ashamed wrote:
<quoted text> I don't think religions are caving to peer pressure at all. I think maybe clergy is finally starting to remember that one of the greatest commandments is to love one another. Sin is sin, period. Personally, I don't believe that homosexuality is a sin. If you are born gay, and created by heavenly father, why would it be a sin? However lets go back to your opinion of homosexuality being a sin. So is judging others, so is coveting your neighbor, so is being unkind to your fellow human. Is your sin somehow lesser than other peoples sins?
1) You are entitled to your opinion... just as I am.

2) If you don't think that Religions are caving into peer pressure than you are blind. I went to a gay wedding once, only to see people throwing a "beach ball" up in the air and passing it back and forth... standing and jumping around in the CHAPEL even AFTER it broke a brass cross that belonged to the Lutheran Church that the service was in. Now if you do not see that as giving into PEER PRESSURE than you are blind... because the person who was the Chaplin, or what ever title they are called, didn't stop it even after it was broken... though I watched the facial expression and the efforts to try to bend it back in place the wedding ceremony stayed out of hand. So, don't tell me that they are not caving into peer pressure... there are standards of reverence in the Chapel.

3) It doesn't matter what your opinion is not ashamed... what matters is Heavenly Fathers opinion on judgement day. He has commanded that ALL his commandments be OBEYED. THE END, period... otherwise, you WILL NOT be allowed to be with him in life ever lasting in the end.

4) If you want to list sins, then you need to read the BIBLE in addition to the BOOK OF MORMON because I tell you... the Gospel is spelled out to you if you want to know. There is no reason for ignorance... we have the ability to know all his commandments... it is given to us. Ignorance, or differences of opinions, will not be an exception to getting into the Kingdom of God.

http://christianity.about.com/od/Bible-Verses...
*** God loves sinners but not the sin... people are held accountable for their sins on judgement day.

Genesis 19:1-11
That evening the two angels came to the entrance of the city of Sodom. Lot was sitting there, and when he saw them, he stood up to meet them. Then he welcomed them and bowed with his face to the ground. "My lords," he said, "come to my home to wash your feet, and be my guests for the night. You may then get up early in the morning and be on your way again." "Oh no," they replied. "We'll just spend the night out here in the city square." But Lot insisted, so at last they went home with him. Lot prepared a feast for them, complete with fresh bread made without yeast, and they ate. But before they retired for the night, all the men of Sodom, young and old, came from all over the city and surrounded the house. They shouted to Lot, "Where are the men who came to spend the night with you? Bring them out to us so we can have sex with them!"

So Lot stepped outside to talk to them, shutting the door behind him. "Please, my brothers," he begged, "don't do such a wicked thing. Look, I have two virgin daughters. Let me bring them out to you, and you can do with them as you wish. But please, leave these men alone, for they are my guests and are under my protection."

"Stand back!" they shouted. "This fellow came to town as an outsider, and now he's acting like our judge! We'll treat you far worse than those other men!" And they lunged toward Lot to break down the door. But the two angels reached out, pulled Lot into the house, and bolted the door. Then they blinded all the men, young and old, who were at the door of the house, so they gave up trying to get inside.(NLT)

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#30679 Dec 28, 2013
Leviticus 18:22
"Do not practice homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman. It is a detestable sin." (NLT)

Leviticus 20:13
"If a man practices homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman, both men have committed a detestable act. They must both be put to death, for they are guilty of a capital offense." (NLT)

Judges 19:16-24
That evening an old man came home from his work in the fields. He was from the hill country of Ephraim, but he was living in Gibeah, where the people were from the tribe of Benjamin. When he saw the travelers sitting in the town square, he asked them where they were from and where they were going.

"We have been in Bethlehem in Judah," the man replied. "We are on our way to a remote area in the hill country of Ephraim, which is my home. I traveled to Bethlehem, and now I'm returning home. But no one has taken us in for the night, even though we have everything we need. We have straw and feed for our donkeys and plenty of bread and wine for ourselves."

"You are welcome to stay with me," the old man said. "I will give you anything you might need. But whatever you do, don't spend the night in the square." So he took them home with him and fed the donkeys. After they washed their feet, they ate and drank together. While they were enjoying themselves, a crowd of troublemakers from the town surrounded the house. They began beating at the door and shouting to the old man, "Bring out the man who is staying with you so we can have sex with him." The old man stepped outside to talk to them. "No, my brothers, don't do such an evil thing. For this man is a guest in my house, and such a thing would be shameful. Here, take my virgin daughter and this man's concubine. I will bring them out to you, and you can abuse them and do whatever you like. But don't do such a shameful thing to this man." (NLT)

1 Kings 14:24
And there were also male cult prostitutes in the land. They did according to all the abominations of the nations that the LORD drove out before the people of Israel.(ESV)

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#30680 Dec 28, 2013
1 Kings 15:12
He put away the male cult prostitutes out of the land and removed all the idols that his fathers had made.(ESV)

2 Kings 23:7
He also tore down the living quarters of the male and female shrine prostitutes that were inside the Temple of the LORD, where the women wove coverings for the Asherah pole.(NLT)

Romans 1:18-32
But God shows his anger from heaven against all sinful, wicked people who suppress the truth by their wickedness.... Yes, they knew God, but they wouldn't worship him as God or even give him thanks. And they began to think up foolish ideas of what God was like. As a result, their minds became dark and confused. Claiming to be wise, they instead became utter fools. And instead of worshiping the glorious, ever-living God, they worshiped idols made to look like mere people and birds and animals and reptiles.

So God abandoned them to do whatever shameful things their hearts desired. As a result, they did vile and degrading things with each other's bodies. They traded the truth about God for a lie. So they worshiped and served the things God created instead of the Creator himself, who is worthy of eternal praise! Amen.

That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other. And the men, instead of having normal sexual relations with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with other men, and as a result of this sin, they suffered within themselves the penalty they deserved.

Since they thought it foolish to acknowledge God, he abandoned them to their foolish thinking and let them do things that should never be done. Their lives became full of every kind of wickedness, sin, greed, hate, envy, murder, quarreling, deception, malicious behavior, and gossip. They are backstabbers, haters of God, insolent, proud, and boastful. They invent new ways of sinning, and they disobey their parents. They refuse to understand, break their promises, are heartless, and have no mercy. They know God's justice requires that those who do these things deserve to die, yet they do them anyway. Worse yet, they encourage others to do them, too.(NLT)

1 Corinthians 6:9-11
Don't you realize that those who do wrong will not inherit the Kingdom of God? Don't fool yourselves. Those who indulge in sexual sin, or who worship idols, or commit adultery, or are male prostitutes, or practice homosexuality, or are thieves, or greedy people, or drunkards, or are abusive, or cheat people-none of these will inherit the Kingdom of God. Some of you were once like that. But you were cleansed; you were made holy; you were made right with God by calling on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.(NLT)

1 Timothy 1:8-10
Now we know that the law is good, if one uses it lawfully, understanding this, that the law is not laid down for the just but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who strike their fathers and mothers, for murderers, the sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, enslavers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine ...(ESV)

Jude 7
And don't forget Sodom and Gomorrah and their neighboring towns, which were filled with immorality and every kind of sexual perversion. Those cities were destroyed by fire and serve as a warning of the eternal fire of God's judgment.(NIV)

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#30681 Dec 28, 2013
The Thirteen Articles of Faith

1 We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

2 We believe that men will be punished for their bown sins, and not for Adam’s transgression.

3 We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

4 We believe that the first principles and aordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

5 We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.

6 We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

7 We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.

8 We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

9 We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet breveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

10 We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisaical glory.

11 We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

12 We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

13 We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to gendure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

Joseph Smith.

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/pgp/a-of-f/1...

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#30683 Dec 28, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
Too easy. Nothing.
Now one for you. What would be the status of same sex marriage if legislators had never passed laws the public actually voted against? Two words.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#30684 Dec 28, 2013
getnerdav wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =FoiU7lKJqS8XX
Im saying Mormons are not Christians heres why...
I say Christians are a cult, here's why.
They say God made the Bible. God said no such thing.
They say God commands us to believe only in the Bible. God said no such thing.
They believe prophets existed and but aren't needed any more
They believe apostles existed and aren't needed any more.
They believe revelation was once received and isn't needed any more.
They believe all they need to know of God was written some 1800 to 2000 years
ago and we need top know nothing new from God.
They declare God has quit telling us anything new because they think God has nothing new to say to us now.
They like to tell God how things are according to how they believe.
Those are some of the reasons why I say modern Christianity is a cult and nothing more.

Location hidden

#30685 Dec 28, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>Too easy. Nothing.
Now one for you. What would be the status of same sex marriage if legislators had never passed laws the public actually voted against? Two words.
I'm not sure what you're asking..

Location hidden

#30686 Dec 28, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>Too easy. Nothing.
What if they have temple recommends? Will they allow them in the temple?

Ava, MO

#30687 Dec 28, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>What if they have temple recommends? Will they allow them in the temple?
Homosexuals have been in the temple countless times, I'm sure. Even married and sealed for all time and eternity. The only thing is they lied when getting that recommend, and were married to someone of the opposite sex.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Salt Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News LDS Apostle visited Tonga (Feb '14) Sun tongangodz 30,178
News Google Fiber to reach Salt Lake City Mar 28 Tom 2
Are Aliens Real, if so are they nice or mean? (Oct '12) Mar 22 Waymogv001010 12
News Loss of members spurred LDS singles ward changes (Apr '11) Feb '15 Blow 4
News Police close to catching Midvale check fraud su... (Sep '10) Jan '15 not surprised 36
News After violent Utah landslide, a community on edge (Aug '14) Aug '14 Jeannie Jex 1
News Fake Cops Execute a Very Illegal Search and Sei... (Jun '14) Jun '14 Judy 1
North Salt Lake Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

North Salt Lake People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]