Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 32072 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#29217 Nov 11, 2013
Livinginthelandofcrazy wrote:
My point is he still has to meet their criteria, attend church services, and follow all the other rules and regulations they have mandated.
http://www.nwcu.edu/about/values-elaboration
Mandatory membership, and beliefs wasn't one of them. Surely you can see the big difference in the reaction. Curtis had to leave because he lost faith, not because he was breaking any other rule.

Since: Sep 12

Ozark, MO

#29218 Nov 11, 2013
<quoted text>This is a quote from a student at NWC:

B Campus Strictness: Strict for Most – The school has rules that must be followed and might not be exactly the freedom you expected. Some of the rules are a little much sometimes. The rules are enforced sometimes and then are kind of ignored other times. If you follow the rules it is a great place but if you are someone who will go against anything that you feel is restricting your freedom then you will have trouble.

College Senior Mar 7 2012

http://collegeprowler.com/northwest-christian...
This is very telling. It's "strict," and "not the freedom " you might expect. "The rules are enforced sometimes and then are kind of ignored other times."

"if you are someone who will go against anything that you feel is restricting your freedom then you will have trouble."

Interesting...

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#29219 Nov 11, 2013
What would happen if the Student President left the LDS church? He would be kicked out. Curtis wasn't living on campus or in student housing. He was even kicked out of his apartment. He should sue the hell out of the landlord for that. That is against Federal law.

Ozark, MO

#29220 Nov 11, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>Mandatory membership, and beliefs wasn't one of them. Surely you can see the big difference in the reaction. Curtis had to leave because he lost faith, not because he was breaking any other rule.
I disagree. He broke several rules. All of which have been covered at great length. After reading what NWCU expects, it seems they expect just as much, if not more.

Ozark, MO

#29221 Nov 11, 2013
Okay... sorry, I'm tired. I'll catch up tomorrow.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#29222 Nov 11, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>Mandatory membership, and beliefs wasn't one of them. Surely you can see the big difference in the reaction. Curtis had to leave because he lost faith, not because he was breaking any other rule.
And if a non Mormon at BYU lost his faith, he would still be a student there.

Ozark, MO

#29223 Nov 11, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
What would happen if the Student President left the LDS church? He would be kicked out. Curtis wasn't living on campus or in student housing. He was even kicked out of his apartment. He should sue the hell out of the landlord for that. That is against Federal law.
Where'd you hear that? I don't remember him saying he lived off campus in "public" housing (apartment).

Ozark, MO

#29224 Nov 11, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>And if a non Mormon at BYU lost his faith, he would still be a student there.
wow...

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#29225 Nov 11, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Mandatory membership, and beliefs wasn't one of them. Surely you can see the big difference in the reaction. Curtis had to leave because he lost faith, not because he was breaking any other rule.
And, he was free to leave. That was HIS choice. He did what he wanted to do.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#29226 Nov 11, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
If that was the case... HOW IS IT THE CHURCH'S FAULT he lost his housing?

Location hidden

#29227 Nov 11, 2013
<quoted text>Where'd you hear that? I don't remember him saying he lived off campus in "public" housing (apartment).
It's Provo..google it and wake up

Location hidden

#29228 Nov 11, 2013
<quoted text>wow...
It's shocking, isn't it?

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#29229 Nov 11, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
It's shocking, isn't it?
What is shocking is your engaging this like a crime has been committed.

He wasn't told he can't attend in the future.
He wasn't told that his units wouldn't transfer.
He wasn't kicked out of his house by the Church.
He wasn't kicked out of the school by the Church.
and the Church did not take his job away from him.

The only thing the Church did was say you need to repent if you are going to stay a member.

He quit at that point. It was his choice.

Location hidden

#29230 Nov 11, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>What is shocking is your engaging this like a crime has been committed.

He wasn't told he can't attend in the future.
He wasn't told that his units wouldn't transfer.
He wasn't kicked out of his house by the Church.
He wasn't kicked out of the school by the Church.
and the Church did not take his job away from him.

The only thing the Church did was say you need to repent if you are going to stay a member.

He quit at that point. It was his choice.
If you ever pull your head out of the sand, you will probably be horrified

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#29231 Nov 11, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
How weird..you are defending an LDS university that discriminates against Mormons. I could enroll there tomorrow as an athiest..he can't attend as one.
No. I wasn't defending BYU. I was explaining BYU to an idiot that went through a rigorous application process that claims they never paid attention and now blames the BYU system for their screw ups.
BYU schools have EVERY STUDENT get a recommend from a Mormon bishop or stake president and non-Mormons are to get the same recommend from a Mormon bishop or stake president or their own local religious leader that will vouch for their character. That is why atheists don't get in by admitting their an atheist. They don't have a religious leader to vouch for their character. Those are the rules.
What I tire of is pathetic idiots that blame things and others for their irresponsible/purposeful actions.
As said, you couldn't enroll as a self proclaimed atheist. Unless you could prove to BYU entrance persons that you have an accredited recommendation from an atheist religious leader BYU recognizes?
Better than that, paste from the BYU site where they welcome atheists...lol...good luck on that one :)

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#29232 Nov 11, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
Only Mormons can't convert. That's the issue you oddly don't seem to have a problem with.
It's not a matter of having problems with BYU policies or not. That's you thinking people should have problems with their policies.
You don't get this. IT'S A MORMON RELIGION BASED CHURCH. What of that aren't you understanding? For a Mormon to become a student, they have to tell a bishop or stake president their a true blue active Mormon. Doing this gets them a financial cut in tution, housing etc. So if a person who's a Mormon lies to get those financial perks, they're their own liar. Their lies can come back on them.
I do agree that a Mormon should have a right to change beliefs. But if they had that policy, BYU would be wise to make sure after the student becomes 'non-Mormon status and is paying regular fees etc, they are legally held responsible to pay back the percentage the church paid for when they enlisted as a Mormon to get those perks. You play, you should pay.

Location hidden

#29233 Nov 11, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>No. I wasn't defending BYU. I was explaining BYU to an idiot that went through a rigorous application process that claims they never paid attention and now blames the BYU system for their screw ups.
BYU schools have EVERY STUDENT get a recommend from a Mormon bishop or stake president and non-Mormons are to get the same recommend from a Mormon bishop or stake president or their own local religious leader that will vouch for their character. That is why atheists don't get in by admitting their an atheist. They don't have a religious leader to vouch for their character. Those are the rules.
What I tire of is pathetic idiots that blame things and others for their irresponsible/purposeful actions.
As said, you couldn't enroll as a self proclaimed atheist. Unless you could prove to BYU entrance persons that you have an accredited recommendation from an atheist religious leader BYU recognizes?
Better than that, paste from the BYU site where they welcome atheists...lol...good luck on that one :)
No, you are defending BYU

Location hidden

#29234 Nov 11, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>It's not a matter of having problems with BYU policies or not. That's you thinking people should have problems with their policies.
You don't get this. IT'S A MORMON RELIGION BASED CHURCH. What of that aren't you understanding? For a Mormon to become a student, they have to tell a bishop or stake president their a true blue active Mormon. Doing this gets them a financial cut in tution, housing etc. So if a person who's a Mormon lies to get those financial perks, they're their own liar. Their lies can come back on them.
I do agree that a Mormon should have a right to change beliefs. But if they had that policy, BYU would be wise to make sure after the student becomes 'non-Mormon status and is paying regular fees etc, they are legally held responsible to pay back the percentage the church paid for when they enlisted as a Mormon to get those perks. You play, you should pay.
Right..imagine "thinking people" having a problem with their policies..wow

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#29235 Nov 11, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
Why does the LDS church fear freedom?
It doesn't. That's a twisted notion coming from you who thinks to be a Mormon one doesn't have to be an actual Mormon but, they as an inactive Mormon should get to do everything a active Mormon does including going to temples and going to BYU schools.
Mormons going to a Mormon church are suppose to be active Mormons unless their liars and deceivers. The same for BYU. Mormons go there because they have told a bishop or stake president (in honesty or as a liar)that their a true blue active Mormon.
A group of atheists would like a theistic based person in their midst telling them atheism is wrong and stupid and they should change their beliefs. Why should a religion allow the opposite type person among themselves to stir up crap? Are you that backwards in your ability to comprehend situations?
Don't go to BYU if you have doubts. Simple concept.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#29236 Nov 12, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Curtis entered BYU with a contractual obligation that he was a active Mormon and that was his faith. Because he stated that he got financial perks to go to BYU. Those financial perks are pluses you don't get at other universities/colleges.
Curtis knew the issues that would take place if he converted from Mormonism to anything else and admitted it or hid it and was found out.
BYU is a Mormon based education system and somehow as a Mormon, Curtis had a brain fart, forgot that fact and thought he could do anything he pleased that broke the honor code and discipline measures shouldn't apply to him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Salt Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
White men! Date a woman with bi-racial kids? (May '11) 8 hr Darlene 84
Utah sucks 8 hr Lajeanna 3
More Problems with the Book of Mormon 8 hr Susanne 34
News In a national first, LGBT advocates sue Utah sc... Mon Bloomp 11
News Mormons: We are Christians, too (Apr '07) Mon Lucy 28,895
Mitt Romney is a turd Sun Cornilious 31
why mormon missionaries have sex with married w... (Jun '12) Dec 2 Robin 34

North Salt Lake Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance