Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 32098 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#28771 Nov 4, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
You said yourself you don't have to be a Mormon to attend BYU.
The difference is Mormons get perks, benefits and he was loosing those.
He hid the fact he was an atheist to get those perks and pretended to be a Mormon. That is simply lying... to be more exact it's stealing.
And that would be called discrimination.

Marysville, CA

#28772 Nov 4, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
We are speaking of what the LDS church accepts as you verified this by posting what an alder in that church said of it...
"Heber C. Kimball, first counselor to Brigham Young, claimed that "there is but one God that pertains to this people, and he is the God that pertains to this earthóthe first man. THAT FIRST MAN SENT HIS OWN SON TO REDEEM THE WORLD ..." (Journal of Discourses, vol. 4, p. 1).
I used that as just evidence Young taught it.

Marysville, CA

#28773 Nov 4, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you even read the entire article and his other 'blogs'?
" I was already seriously considering leaving BYU and the LDS Church after this semester."
He left after copies of his negative views of the church and other blog posts were given to a stake president. So the church did nothing to him as you erronously suggest. He didn't get any 'treatment' as you claim.
"I found I was agnostic by November and that I was an atheist by February."
"President MacKay told me that he was going to disfellowship me if I didnít repent of beliefs and actions that I donít think are wrong."
"I decided right then and there (during the appointment with Mackay) that I would drop out of BYU, quit my work, look for new housing, and resign from the LDS Church."
Fricking sad and humorous both. This kid was a born and bred Mormon, does a mission, returns and is going to BYU, one of THE MOST RELIGIOUS type universities in existence in the USA. And prior to exiting his mission I would wager, his doubts multiplied to negative statements while at BYU which he posted/blogged AND, he went from believing in God to agnosticism to atheism in six months while also "exploring" alternative spirituality meaning he's not a true atheist if he's still considering OTHER forms of spirituality.
This kid was a true religious cluster ***k of thoughts. He didn't know if he was coming or going theistically. And he thought it would be okay to speak so negatively about the church paying part of his tuition and costs for going to BYU and he should get away with it??? And you think the church bled him and treated him ill??? lolol....to fricking funny as usual.....the kid was on his way out the door of this church on his own. He was just to much of a coward to stand up and quit BYU and the church. He needed a 'scape goat' to use a reason to do what he'd been planning on doing. What a fricking blame it on others coward.
He quit before they could expel him, and that is his fault? It's like a person quitting his job 10 minutes before the boss can fire him. Why does quitting the LDS church mean he has to quit his education? All you've done is proven a person can't be honest with his beliefs and attend BYU.

Marysville, CA

#28774 Nov 4, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you persist in advancing such whore mongering rumors as began by dana in this case that you're sucking down like kool aid? Don't you have anything better to do? The kid wasn't kicked out of BYU. That was a fear of his. It wasn't nor is an actual fact. He lied to go to BYU. He lied claiming he was a full faith member of the LDS church when he factually by admittance wasn't when filling out the admission papers. He lied about being a TBM so he could get the financial $ perks Mormons get when attending BYU. But you're so twisted you don't see that of course.
No, he started BYU as a believing member. One that had served on a mission.

Marysville, CA

#28775 Nov 4, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
yeah... try that at Yale and see what they do.
Yale doesn't care about what religion you are.

Marysville, CA

#28776 Nov 4, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
The funny part about the article was he asked the Stake President if he could keep lying to keep the benefits until the end of the semester.
That's like writing God a letter saying can I disobey the commandments until the end of the semester.
Can I lie and say I am a Mormon when I am an atheist so I can get the perks... which is a form of stealing.
1) though shalt not lie, 2) though shalt not steal,
are part of the 10 commandments given to Moses.
But Dana and NoMo think it's acceptable to break these commandments and for the Church officials to let it happen... not only do they think it's acceptable but they also condemn the Church for holding members accountable.
The Mormon church forces people to lie or be discriminated against, and you point fingers at the kid? Yes, by all means people should lie and cheat a bigoted religion. Serves them right. Hope more people do it. He was their slave for 2 years as a missionary, he earned the right to go to BYU.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#28777 Nov 4, 2013
For carol and noPrize..
He doesn't get an option of paying non-Mormon fees and staying in school. And the Bigger Picture...something you two always miss:

http://thestudentreview.org/religious-freedom...

Location hidden

#28778 Nov 4, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
If this is true, I don't know why the LDS church would keep silent about this.

http://federalistpress.com/is-obama-targeting...
The church's statement..

http://m.heraldextra.com/news/local/central/p...

Marysville, CA

#28779 Nov 4, 2013
NoMo wrote:
For carol and noPrize..
He doesn't get an option of paying non-Mormon fees and staying in school. And the Bigger Picture...something you two always miss:
http://thestudentreview.org/religious-freedom...
It's like the temple recommend. It's amazing how many people have to lie to get one.

Marysville, CA

#28780 Nov 4, 2013
I really enjoy these.

&fe ature=youtu.be

Location hidden

#28781 Nov 4, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
I really enjoy these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =z0YrAV8PHm8XX&feature=you tu.be
Aren't they great?

Location hidden

#28782 Nov 4, 2013
"Former LDS students are not eligible to receive an ecclesiastical endorsement (See Withdrawn Ecclesiastical Endorsement below)."

http://saas.byu.edu/catalog/2011-2012ucat/Gen...

BYU doesn't allow ex-Mormons to attend.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#28783 Nov 4, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Yale doesn't care about what religion you are.
No talk crap about the school and lie about your eligibility for $perks.

How about if you were in the Presidential office working and you talked crap about Obama on your facebook? What do you think would happen?

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#28784 Nov 4, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
It's like the temple recommend. It's amazing how many people have to lie to get one.
There is no lying to God. He knows... for those who lie they will have to answer to the creator.

Kirbyville, MO

#28785 Nov 4, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>It's like the temple recommend. It's amazing how many people have to lie to get one.
Those that do... that's on their head.

Kirbyville, MO

#28786 Nov 4, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>It's like the temple recommend. It's amazing how many people have to lie to get one.
In fact, they are no better than those who would lie to become a member just to get in the temple, film it, and post it on YouTube to make a mockery of it.

Location hidden

#28787 Nov 4, 2013
Livinginthelandofcrazy wrote:
<quoted text>In fact, they are no better than those who would lie to become a member just to get in the temple, film it, and post it on YouTube to make a mockery of it.
Noah? He didn't lie to become a member..lol. Seriously, is this your theory??? Hahahaha

Kirbyville, MO

#28788 Nov 4, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>Noah? He didn't lie to become a member..lol. Seriously, is this your theory??? Hahahaha
Noah??? Seriously... are you serious??? What. A. Dumbshit.

Kirbyville, MO

#28789 Nov 4, 2013
Or those who lie to get garments to wear to gay pride parades.

Kirbyville, MO

#28790 Nov 4, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>Noah? He didn't lie to become a member..lol. Seriously, is this your theory??? Hahahaha
Did your mom have any kids that lived???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Salt Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
DACA illegal in Utah have jobs Americans would ... Fri Rob 1
News 'These kids are fighting back': Salt Lake stude... Feb 21 JBRAWL 1
News Salt Lake church shields Utah mom from deportation Feb 20 Bloodonhishands 2
News Romney declines to say whether he'd run for Uta... Feb 20 Bloodonhishands 16
Review: Malinda Marie Atkins Feb 19 MALINDA 1
Utah Concealed Carry Class Feb 18 hdavenport 1
Bountiful, Utah Concealed Carry Class Feb 18 hdavenport 1

North Salt Lake Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

North Salt Lake Mortgages