Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 32007 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#27226 Jul 20, 2013
The Mormon church just keeps bleeding members. Thanks to the internet.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/21/us/some-mor... ;

Around the world and in the United States, where the faith was founded, the Mormon Church is grappling with a wave of doubt and disillusionment among members who encountered information on the Internet that sabotaged what they were taught about their faith, according to interviews with dozens of Mormons and those who study the church.

“I felt like I had an earthquake under my feet,” said Mr. Mattsson, now an emeritus area authority.“Everything I’d been taught, everything I’d been proud to preach about and witness about just crumbled under my feet. It was such a terrible psychological and nearly physical disturbance.”

Marysville, CA

#27227 Jul 20, 2013
Mr. Mattsson said he sought the help of the church’s highest authorities. He said a senior apostle came to Sweden at his request and told a meeting of Mormons that he had a manuscript in his briefcase that, once it was published, would prove all the doubters wrong. But Mr. Mattsson said the promised text never appeared, and when he asked the apostle about it, he was told it was impertinent to ask.

(Mr. Mattsson refused to identify the apostle, but others said it was Elder L. Tom Perry, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Elder Perry, now 91, confirmed through a church spokesman that he did visit a branch in Sweden with skeptical members, but said he recalled satisfying their questions with a letter written by the church’s history department.)

The truth is setting members free.

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#27228 Jul 20, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
Cut back hours so the poor can stay poorer, and needing the government tit for health care. God forbid they should ever feel self sufficient and self reliant.
lolol....oh my fricking gosh are you ever so mentally challenged in the area of comprehension and deduction...lol...so fricking sad too.
You didn't even read the article to understand it. you read it to attack it with pathetic thinking as usual.
Read the information as it is, not as you want it to be. DI isn't a company that hires all it's employees for lifelong job positions or until an employee decides to quit, etc.
IT STATED IN THE ARTICLE...
“We’re not training them to work in our store,” said Brent Palmer, manager of field operations for the entire Deseret Industries system.“We’re trying to give them skills that will help them find a better job somewhere else. Unlike most retail operations, we actually want turnover. We want them to learn and grow and improve and move on to something better.”
READ THE FRICKING INFORMATION....
According to Mecham, 88 percent of the people who follow the whole program, all the way to the Advanced Placement Program, leave Deseret Industries for better jobs.

“Our job is to train someone so well that they get so good at their job and become so useful and effective that they will find a better job and leave,” Mecham said.“And we want to do that for as many associates as we possibly can.”

The number of associates that can participate in DI programs increased dramatically earlier this year when DI officials at church headquarters established limitations on the number of hours associates can work each week. By limiting those hours, Deseret Industries has been able to significantly increase the number of associates who can be added to the program.

“Since April our associate count is up by 31 percent, and we have increased the capacity for associates within the system by nearly 800,” Daybell said.“That’s 800 individuals and families whose lives can be blessed through this program for whom we didn’t have room before the change.”

While there has been some criticism of the move because it limits the ability of some associates to make more money and receive full-time employment benefits, Saari pointed out that the DI program has always included helping associates work with Medicaid and other health and insurance options.

"DI employment has always been seen as temporary employment," she said. "Generally speaking, our associates are only with us for a matter of months. If we're not moving them on to something better — including better salaries and benefits — then the program isn't working the way it was designed to work."

By your pathetic far left liberal whining you would be happy if the extra 800 individuals were tossed out of the program and back to wherever they came from so hours/$ for training can be increased to where it was without that 31% increase in new trainees.
You're so mentally fried in comprehension it's down right scary.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#27229 Jul 20, 2013
Covert Stealth Ops wrote:
<quoted text>Which means that Mormons are not Christians.
Fricking Christians aren't Christians by the same standards one uses from the Bible. People today calling themselves Christians deny most of what's in the NT and the OT like dana does. Dana thinks Genesis is a bunch of lies and crap. And he represents a lot of 'new age wanna-be Christians' that rip the Bible apart and only accept this part or that part. Yet he finds fault for Mormons believing in more than what he does is to believe in less and see's no hypocrisy in his thinking.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#27230 Jul 20, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/21/us/some-mor ... ;

Around the world and in the United States, where the faith was founded, the Mormon Church is grappling with a wave of doubt and disillusionment among members who encountered information on the Internet that sabotaged what they were taught about their faith, according to interviews with dozens of Mormons and those who study the church.

“I felt like I had an earthquake under my feet,” said Mr. Mattsson, now an emeritus area authority.“Everything I’d been taught, everything I’d been proud to preach about and witness about just crumbled under my feet. It was such a terrible psychological and nearly physical disturbance.”

Mr. Mattsson said he sought the help of the church’s highest authorities. He said a senior apostle came to Sweden at his request and told a meeting of Mormons that he had a manuscript in his briefcase that, once it was published, would prove all the doubters wrong. But Mr. Mattsson said the promised text never appeared, and when he asked the apostle about it, he was told it was impertinent to ask.
(Mr. Mattsson refused to identify the apostle, but others said it was Elder L. Tom Perry, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Elder Perry, now 91, confirmed through a church spokesman that he did visit a branch in Sweden with skeptical members, but said he recalled satisfying their questions with a letter written by the church’s history department.)
At the time that God/the Son of God walked the earth, people like dana and Mattsson didn't recognize him. People like dana and Mattsson rejected him as a fraud and a lover of money, power and abuser of women as he had a large female following massaging his feet etc. And those people like dana and Mattsson that came to accept Jesus ended up losing their faith and rejected him and turned on him like Judas. People like dana and Mattsson were their gladly watching the false prophet be beaten to a bloody mess and cheered the beating on as Dana cheers on the death of Smith after Smith died and is glad for Smith's death. people like dana and Mattsson losing the small spark of faith they once had for the false prophet, now joined the ranks to persecute those still following the false prophet. People like dana and Mattsson attacked followers like Peter and the other disciples threatening them with death if they didn't deny knowing the false prophet they cheered on who was murdered for false causes.
And now people like dana and Mattsson 2000 years later are again swearing allegiance to a 2000+ year old religion and persecuting a new offshoot of that old religion which said new religion is claiming all the things the last false prophet claimed were true with his new religion.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#27231 Jul 20, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
2000 years ago people like dana and Mattsson were also convinced the truth they defined as 'truth' being told to the misled followers of the false prophet Jesus was setting those members free.

Curious how it's taken only 2000 years for a new offshoot of it's mother religion to become a worldwide religion itself after the death of it's founder that was thought to be a false prophet and a wolf in sheeps clothing by the general populace of the mother religion in both instances.

2000 years ago the followers of the mother religion denied the power of God. They denied the need/existence of revelation. They claimed no need for prophets any more that God no longer used them because God had given the words/law of Moses. They claimed the messiah was coming and the messiah would make all things right.
2000 years later....
2000 years later the followers of the mother religion deny the power of God. They deny the need/existence of revelation. They claim no need for prophets any more that God no longer uses them because God has given the words/law of Jesus. They claim the messiah is coming and the messiah will make all things right.
The similarities are absolutely fricking erie...

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#27232 Jul 21, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
There is no force to be a Mormon... it is called FREE AGENCY.

We all have our times of trials and tests when SATAN and his ADVOCATES taint and twist the truth.

NOT EVERYONE IS GOING TO UNDERSTAND WHY GOD DOES THE THINGS HE DOES.

HECK... you are a prime example of this... you don't even believe in Genesis... You have threatened to KILL Jesus Christ if he taught the things you don't believe in that he taught... You have threatened to KILL his prophets... just like PONTIUS PILATE, the PHARISEES, and the SADDUCEE' did to CHRIST HIMSELF.

YOU ARE NO DIFFERENT THEN THEM.

Members of the Church will be tested... just as everyone else. Have you ever heard the saying only the strong (or wise) survive? This is the purpose of this world...

WILL WE CAVE IN AND LISTEN TO THE LITTLE DEVIL ON OUR SHOULDER... OR WILL WE KEEP TO WHAT WE KNOW IS TRUE.

THE PEOPLE WHO KEEP TO THE COMMANDMENTS AND STAY STEADFAST ARE THE SURVIVORS.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#27233 Jul 21, 2013
Covert Stealth Ops wrote:
<quoted text>Which means that Mormons are not Christians.
If you want to know the truth for yourself you have to do as God commands and search the scriptures and pray with a sincere heart and he will tell you what is true.

Dana doesn't even believe in Genesis. He's probably not the appropriate person to ask.

If you really want to know contact a missionary in your area and talk to them about what the Church stands for... and teaches.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#27234 Jul 21, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/21/us/some-mor... ;
I read your article... and I thought I would tell you that not everyone feels that way.

I for one (AND I AM A WOMAN) understand polygamy.

People in that day and time had to depend on one another. Can you imagine running a family, growing your own food, building your own house, carrying water, no electricity, cutting wood... and it only be 1 wife and 1 husband to care for 5 children... and teach them to boot

It is also a fact that people that get to themselves tend to abuse the children. That hasn't changed. It helps when other people are around to stop this type of abuse.

When mothers or fathers abuse their children... in public... someone hopefully will call the police or cps. Back then all they had were each other.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#27235 Jul 21, 2013
do you know how many men committed adultry with their slaves... while the wife was at home taking care of his children...

and nobody stopped it...

women were not equal. but... the Mormons gave women rights... before anyone else did. Then they federal government forced them to stop.

Explain that.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#27236 Jul 21, 2013
and that's not it... the children were not treated as family...

they were not white or black...

the (slave) women may have been married to a black man...
but, the owners wouldn't care they were forced these women to have relationships with them (with no benefits).

Out of spite they would sell the husband so they didn't have to compete...

tell me that is fair...

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#27237 Jul 21, 2013
tell me that was equal...

no one really spoke of these things... it was worse than polygamy...

where people joined up to care for each other... people are not easily abused when people join up.

The other women don't tolerate women abusing the children... the women don't put up with the men abusing the women.

You talk about polygamy as if these women were forced... and the Mormonism is about FREE AGENCY.

These women CHOSE what they did. And,
NOT ALL MEN were righteous enough to even be allowed to have multiple wives.
NOT EVERYONE is righteous enough to enter into the Temple and
NOT EVERY ONE will be in the Celestial Kingdom with Heavenly Father.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#27240 Jul 21, 2013
NOW>

People who don't understand these concepts... and are members... might be tested about the issue of Christ commanding Joseph Smith for the Mormons to practice Polygamy.

Go... post what I've said and share that with these people who are tested and wondering about the sanctity of Mormon Polygamy that was COMMANDED by GOD.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#27241 Jul 21, 2013
Then... adulterous affairs turns into exchanging sexual perversion men with men, women with women.

ALL ARE SINS AGAINST HEAVENLY FATHERS COMMANDMENTS.

Get IT?

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#27243 Jul 21, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
Cut back hours so the poor can stay poorer, and needing the government tit for health care. God forbid they should ever feel self sufficient and self reliant. Yep that's what Jesus would do. So much for people helping people, and throw in the irony that as Republicans also, they demand people become self reliant and get off the nanny state. Just as long as they don't have to take up the slack. But they can pat themselves on the back and pretend they are actually making a difference, as if they give a damn. They have condos and malls to build.
The money spent on the mall was not from tithing fund... it was part of investment fund... and it was a business strategy. Too bad you do not agree with it.

The Church officials are not stupid... they look forward and try to prepare for the future. Helping businesses in the mall to stay in business and also receive lease monies for from the businesses in the mall doesn't seem like they invested in a loss leader.

It's not like they bought the building and kicked out all the businesses and all the workers. They saved many jobs, and many businesses from going out of business and eventually bankrupt.

What is the problem with that?

You don't know heck about business strategies continually bringing this up like the Church did something wrong... it is not a crime to investment in purchasing a mall.

Dude... it's not your money why is this a problem for you?

Marysville, CA

#27245 Jul 21, 2013
Mormon church to end door-to-door missionary practice

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/articl...

The Mormon church finally catches up to the 60's. There is a reason companies stopped door to door selling back then, it didn't work. But, the Mormon church needed busy work for their elders to do, so they keep them on a program that for the most part didn't work.

Location hidden

#27246 Jul 21, 2013
Shhh..there are protected pedophiles in LD$ inc.

http://m.prnewswire.com/news-releases/child-a...

Location hidden

#27247 Jul 21, 2013
And they admit to running a prison camp..it's an absolutely dreadful place.

http://utahboysranchwra.wordpress.com/2013/07...

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#27248 Jul 21, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
Mormon church to end door-to-door missionary practice
http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/articl...
The Mormon church finally catches up to the 60's. There is a reason companies stopped door to door selling back then, it didn't work. But, the Mormon church needed busy work for their elders to do, so they keep them on a program that for the most part didn't work.
So, to you it is ok for someone to pull guns on these people who are in the service of the Lord?

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#27249 Jul 21, 2013
NoMo wrote:
And they admit to running a prison camp..it's an absolutely dreadful place.
http://utahboysranchwra.wordpress.com/2013/07...
MEMBERS of the Church are responsible for their own actions.

IF THEY DO WRONG THEY SHOULD SUFFER CONSEQUENCES. MEMBERS are separate entities from the CHURCH.

GET IT?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Salt Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News john goulet bio (Jul '10) 6 hr woggitty 8
News Mormons: We are Christians, too (Apr '07) Jul 23 sweetromance2 28,889
News POLYGAMY: Utah Co. prosecutors want to see 'big... (Sep '10) Jul 22 disgusted 8
News Are vitamins from USANA worth price? (Mar '08) Jul 22 Feeling good 221
Review: Elite Pay Global (Jun '14) Jul 21 WORD MAN 4
News Cultures unite to remember slain 12-year-old We... Jul 20 Stormy 1
News 'Let freedom ring': 152 celebrate U.S. citizenship Jul 18 joanNYadoptees 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

North Salt Lake Mortgages