Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 32098 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#25766 May 18, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact you think you know more about my father than me is pathetic. You have reached a new low in ignorance. You know less about him then you do even Mormonism.
Never claimed any such thing. But I know human nature really well and humans aren't much different from one generation to the next. You said THE REASON your dad joined the church was it's stance against blacks and the priesthood.
You said you were a racist.
You revealed in a few stories you had nothing but disrespect for the church at some stage as a teenager and it evidently got worse as you grew older.
That suggests/means A. your dad was a racist and taught you how to be a racist but, it's tough to be an actual racist and hold church callings. As a staunch racist, your dad would have quit the church when blacks were given the priesthood but he didn't quit, he stayed in the church and remained active. That fact implies he wasn't the racist you insinuated he was and racism is a street you walked by yourself and not with his encouragement.
So that could mean B. your dad was a bigot, not a racist and that would explain why your dad didn't quit the church when blacks were given the priesthood and how your dad was able to continue to hold callings, as a bigot could more easily change to not being a bigot than a racist can quit being a racist. As a bigot you have to deal with being unfair to people to change. But as a racist one has to deal with all the irrational hate and anger one uses to hate other people with to change.

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#25767 May 18, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
The Hebrew word was owth. And owth has many meanings including a mark.
I said nothing of it being a 50/50 thing. That's some more of your racist slant thinking. I said I couldn't take a position because the Bible doesn't say what the mark/sign was that God set on Cain.
Consider it this way. If I take a position on something where no evidence exists, how will I prove my position rationally? I won't. Bereft of evidence an opinion remains an opinion.
Well, we can understand what the definition of 'owth is:

Definition

sign, signal
a distinguishing mark
banner
remembrance
miraculous sign
omen
warning
token, ensign, standard, miracle, proof

http://www.biblestudytools.com/lexicons/hebre...

None of which is an indicator of changing the race of a person. When are you gonna give it up? You're pathetic.

Marysville, CA

#25768 May 18, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
You're immaturity blossoms like a rose today, truth hurt?:)
No, but your crap stinks.

Marysville, CA

#25769 May 18, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Some more immaturity happening dude. How much more am I in store for?
You SAID, you STATED, Smith excommunicated people for breaking the word of wisdom. Prove it or be a liar for Jesus AGAIN.....
I did say that, and he did, DUH! I gave the evidence.

Marysville, CA

#25770 May 18, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Never claimed any such thing. But I know human nature really well and humans aren't much different from one generation to the next. You said THE REASON your dad joined the church was it's stance against blacks and the priesthood.
You said you were a racist.
You revealed in a few stories you had nothing but disrespect for the church at some stage as a teenager and it evidently got worse as you grew older.
That suggests/means A. your dad was a racist and taught you how to be a racist but, it's tough to be an actual racist and hold church callings. As a staunch racist, your dad would have quit the church when blacks were given the priesthood but he didn't quit, he stayed in the church and remained active. That fact implies he wasn't the racist you insinuated he was and racism is a street you walked by yourself and not with his encouragement.
So that could mean B. your dad was a bigot, not a racist and that would explain why your dad didn't quit the church when blacks were given the priesthood and how your dad was able to continue to hold callings, as a bigot could more easily change to not being a bigot than a racist can quit being a racist. As a bigot you have to deal with being unfair to people to change. But as a racist one has to deal with all the irrational hate and anger one uses to hate other people with to change.
You started making claims based on your theories of what my father had to do. Statements of fact based on fairy tales is irrational, not me.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#25771 May 18, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
And you are trying to be a cheap ass Daniel Peterson by attacking the messenger, instead of the message. My Dad as nothing to do with the teachings of Mormonism or it's truthfulness. He was just stupid enough to fall for them.
No. I was inquiring indirectly what shaped you is what I was inquiring about and several times at that but you missed it. So I'll ask you directly. What shaped you for you to have such unbridled anger and hate? You use Mormondom as a whipping post like nomo does. But Mormondom isn't the real issue for either of you. Something in your past propel you two to have such seething hatred and anger and dark vile sarcastic thoughts of and for others. And you two have expressed these negative emotions for so long they appear to be normal for you both to express to others.
Me, I'm critical of people here and in life that I hear spouting BS. But I have learned the difference when someone's spouting BS for stress relief and when someone constantly spouts BS because it's a part of their mentality. Understand?

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#25772 May 18, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
None of which is an indicator of changing the race of a person. When are you gonna give it up? You're pathetic.
I never said it was an indicator of the changing of a persons skin colour.
When are you going to stop lying about what I didn't say? Some more of your patheticness...

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#25773 May 18, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
No, but your crap stinks.
Some more of that intelligent adult intellect rising to the surface to be heard...lolol.....

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#25774 May 18, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
I did say that, and he did, DUH! I gave the evidence.
Liar, liar, liar. You gave no historical pasted information that describes Smith excommunicating an individual because they broke the word of wisdom. Liar, liar, liar.
Now if you know where this written documented evidence exists that gives the name of the person(s) being or were excommunicated for braking the word of wisdom, just paste it and prove your not a liar, pretty simple :)

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#25775 May 18, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
You started making claims based on your theories of what my father had to do. Statements of fact based on fairy tales is irrational, not me.
If the statements are fairy tales that's on you. My base information came from you about your parents. You stated...

"Well I know for a fact the major reason that my dad joined the LDS church was because of the teaching that black people were black because they were cursed by God. My mother still says so today. Agrees with everything Brigham Young taught on the topic."

You insinuated indirectly without saying it your dad (and possibly your mom) were racists, both of them.
But the picture you paint of a racist father doesn't jive with how an active Mormon priesthood member really is that was a bishop and an active Mormon for all their life.
See, a real racist has a deep seated hate and negative attitude for anything not their colour/race. Many people that quit the church when Kimball let in blacks to have the priesthood quit because they were bigots and or racists and weren't going to change their beliefs, even if their prophet did.
So the fact you claim your dad was a racist and stayed in the church after the allowance of blacks is contrary to how a racist would have reacted if they were a real racist. Your dad would have been supporting the equality of blacks in the church and that's not what a real racist does, support equality measures for blacks for any issue.

Marysville, CA

#25776 May 18, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
No. I was inquiring indirectly what shaped you is what I was inquiring about and several times at that but you missed it. So I'll ask you directly. What shaped you for you to have such unbridled anger and hate? You use Mormondom as a whipping post like nomo does. But Mormondom isn't the real issue for either of you. Something in your past propel you two to have such seething hatred and anger and dark vile sarcastic thoughts of and for others. And you two have expressed these negative emotions for so long they appear to be normal for you both to express to others.
Me, I'm critical of people here and in life that I hear spouting BS. But I have learned the difference when someone's spouting BS for stress relief and when someone constantly spouts BS because it's a part of their mentality. Understand?
What shaped me was being lied and deceived for 33 yrs. Forced to serve a false religion. Made promises that were never kept. Being forced to live a lie. You may not want Mormonism to be the "real" issue, but it was.

Marysville, CA

#25777 May 18, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said it was an indicator of the changing of a persons skin colour.
When are you going to stop lying about what I didn't say? Some more of your patheticness...
Nooo, you just debate what kind of skin color you get from dust compared to dirt. You choke on the actual words in Hebrew to make what point?

Marysville, CA

#25778 May 18, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Some more of that intelligent adult intellect rising to the surface to be heard...lolol.....
Which, unlike your post, is at least honest and truthful.

Marysville, CA

#25779 May 18, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Liar, liar, liar. You gave no historical pasted information that describes Smith excommunicating an individual because they broke the word of wisdom. Liar, liar, liar.
Now if you know where this written documented evidence exists that gives the name of the person(s) being or were excommunicated for braking the word of wisdom, just paste it and prove your not a liar, pretty simple :)
Go back and reread it if you want. I'm not repeating myself.

Marysville, CA

#25780 May 18, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
If the statements are fairy tales that's on you. My base information came from you about your parents. You stated...
"Well I know for a fact the major reason that my dad joined the LDS church was because of the teaching that black people were black because they were cursed by God. My mother still says so today. Agrees with everything Brigham Young taught on the topic."
You insinuated indirectly without saying it your dad (and possibly your mom) were racists, both of them.
But the picture you paint of a racist father doesn't jive with how an active Mormon priesthood member really is that was a bishop and an active Mormon for all their life.
See, a real racist has a deep seated hate and negative attitude for anything not their colour/race. Many people that quit the church when Kimball let in blacks to have the priesthood quit because they were bigots and or racists and weren't going to change their beliefs, even if their prophet did.
So the fact you claim your dad was a racist and stayed in the church after the allowance of blacks is contrary to how a racist would have reacted if they were a real racist. Your dad would have been supporting the equality of blacks in the church and that's not what a real racist does, support equality measures for blacks for any issue.
Being a intentional idiot isn't going to make you right.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#25781 May 18, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
What shaped me was being lied and deceived for 33 yrs. Forced to serve a false religion. Made promises that were never kept. Being forced to live a lie. You may not want Mormonism to be the "real" issue, but it was.
Everyone has their own walk in life. But when a person blames a religion for their problems, it's usually other things, not that religion that were the issues.
I have met Muslims and Christians and atheists who all claimed they were lied to concerning the existence of God or the non-existence of God just as you do it.
You have said many things in just the last few months that show to me you never had a belief in that church. You may observed it's traditions and rituals but I don't believe you ever had a belief. Just as you have taken the Bible and unlike most Christians and instead of accepting it as the word of God with or without problems, you have dismissed at least one entire book as a myth and nothing else. I would bet you have done this to other books in the Bible, dismissing them as myths.
You are what I call a 'conditional Christian' whos self declared Christianity is based on your conditions of what you accept and what you don't accept of mainline Christianity.
And most people that grow up in a religion, never have the negative issues you have about that religion or life in general.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#25782 May 18, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Nooo, you just debate what kind of skin color you get from dust compared to dirt. You choke on the actual words in Hebrew to make what point?
He earlier was making an irrational point so I did as he did and I'm wrong and he isn't? Neither dust or dirt gave Adam his skin colour but Osirica believes it did. That's why to him black people are superior to you or I or all other colours., he believes God blessed his colour to be first, not an afterthought.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#25783 May 18, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Which, unlike your post, is at least honest and truthful.
lol...BS. You have claimed more BS in this thread without proving your claims than I could even imagine doing. You claimed Smith excommunicated people for breaking the WoW. Still haven't seen your "honest and truthful' evidence.
I revealed more to you about the WoW that you even knew existed. Because if you had known just some of the info I provided your responses would have been so different.
The WoW is a work in progress and has been since it's creation. The darn thing came to be because Emma and other wives complained about the chaw juice stains and remains they cleaned off the floors with cigar butts and other tobacco remains.
In the beginning ANYTHING that was a hot drink including soups was forbidden. Today the WoW is still analyzed and considered by church leaders. I know people that attend the temple that drink O'douls and it's beer even if it's missing most of its alcoholic content. I know some that have an occasional caffeinated soda and say nothing.
Peter was taught not to lie by the Lord and he lied. People do as they do regardless because their people, understand?

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#25784 May 18, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Go back and reread it if you want. I'm not repeating myself.
I'll do one better, I'll repaste your post. In it there is not a single solitary reference of Smith excommunicating an individual for breaking the WoW, NOT ONE PERSON IS REFERENCED. And in a lie you have lied a few times about you keep stating in the below information Smith excommunicated a person for breaking the WoW and that info isn't there, so what now oh honest and truthful one? Care to admit you misread the info or are you ready to continue your lie?
PS...five charges were levied at Whitmer, not a single charge of breaking the WoW as you insinuated in a lie.

Dana Robertson wrote:
It was commandment enough that he excomunicated people for breaking it:
Hypocrisy
Orson Pratt once quipped: "I do not wonder that the world say that the Latter-day Saints do not believe their own revelations. Why? Because we do not practice them" (Journal of Discourses, vol. 17, p. 104).
We have shown that Joseph Smith, the founder of the Mormon church, did not keep the Word of Wisdom, yet, according to Joseph Fielding Smith, the Prophet Joseph Smith taught that a member of the church could not hold an office unless he observed it: "... Joseph Smith, who presided, gave his decision as follows:'No official member in this Church is worthy to hold an office after having the word of wisdom properly taught him; and he, the official member, neglecting to comply with or obey it.' This decision was confirmed by unanimous vote" (Essentials in Church History, p. 169).
It is certainly perplexing that Joseph Smith could break the Word of Wisdom and yet retain his position as president of the church. The thing that makes this especially strange is that when a member of the church did not observe the Word of Wisdom, this was sometimes used against him if he was tried for his fellowship. Leonard J. Arrington stated: "Moreover, when a council at Far West tried a high church official (David Whitmer) for his fellowship, the first of the five charges against him was that he did not observe the Word of Wisdom" (Brigham Young University Studies, Winter 1959, p. 40). As we have already shown, when Almon W. Babbitt was charged with not observing the Word of Wisdom, his only defense was that he "had taken the liberty to break the Word of Wisdom, from the example of President Joseph Smith, Jun., and others."
http://www.utlm.org/onlinebooks/changech18.ht ...

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#25785 May 18, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Being a intentional idiot isn't going to make you right.
lol...and being one makes you one :)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Salt Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LATTER DAY SAINT REVIVAL ( REPENT ) now 20 hr REPENT NOW 4
Message To Mormons ( REPENT ) REPENT 21 hr REPENT NOW 4
God Became Flesh ( JEHOVA BECAME FLESH) 21 hr REPENT NOW 3
News Audit of Wubbels case suggests SL police speed ... Tue hillu2 1
White men! Date a woman with bi-racial kids? (May '11) Apr 16 JJJ 124
News Charter school administrator is - praying for a... Apr 14 Critical Eye 11
News Geologists, residents see more movement in Nort... (Apr '16) Apr '16 jsmetzgerin 1

North Salt Lake Jobs

Personal Finance

North Salt Lake Mortgages