Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 31996 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

Since: Sep 12

Ava, MO

#25392 May 8, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry, but her conception of her shelf worth came from the teachings of her church. "Can you imagine going back into a society where you’re no longer valued? Where you’re no longer as good as everybody else?" Her society was a LDS one. She certainly knows what they taught her growing up. I know exactly what she means because I received those very same lessons. So yes, the LDS church is in part responsible in this as it is with their gay teens committing suicide also because of what the LDS church taught them.
Mormons love to give credit to their faith when it is something they think puts Mormonism in a positive life, but when their teachings turn and bite them on the ass, it has no responsibility at all.
You can't have it both ways, and you certainly can't bullshit you way out of this one. I have experienced this first hand as a member. And members making excuses don't mean jack either, because that is what members do, make excuses. Elizabeth Smart certainly knows why she didn't run a lot more than you do.
I respectfully disagree. She made no mention that either her parents or the Church made her feel that way. What she felt is normal for any woman, or young girl, to feel when such a violent crime has been committed against them. She had a great wrong done to her. The psychological effects of the rape(s) made her feel that way. I don't think any woman if raped would feel good about it, or worthwhile. One thing I do agree with you on is the fact that only she knows, and it's certainly not the WP. I'm also saying that for her to still be a member, go to BYU, and serve a mission is not the actions of a person would who blames her parents or her faith. No. Those are the actions of a woman who had the love and support from her family and faith to make it through such a horrible ordeal.

“The Pleasure is all MINE”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#25393 May 8, 2013
Yea this is almost as funny as this:

Livinginthelandofcrazy wrote:
<quoted text>
Now that's funny! "I voted for Obama because he's black.
But not because of his skin color." Hahahahahaha!!! I can't stop laughing! Hahahahahaha!!! Lolololol!!!! Cough/choke/cough/ catch breath...
Hahahahahaha!!!

Ava, MO

#25394 May 8, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>The cult still uses the "chewed gum/licked cupcake" lessons to teach young girls what its like for a man not to marry a virgin. I'm really proud of her for speaking up.
Promiscuity is much different than being raped. In case you were wondering how it is... One is a willing participant while the other is the unwilling victim of a crime.

Ava, MO

#25395 May 8, 2013
osirica wrote:
<quoted text>Yes I make allowances in response to your allowances.

You are part and support an organization that teaches

1. Lies about Christianity
2. Lies about black people history and origins
3. Perpetuates a myth designed by OTHERS to despise and enslave blacks.
4. A philosophy meant to only make white people superior.

Now lets look at the result of that

1. Slavery
2. Holocaust
3. Colonization
4. WWII
5. Civil War

Body count not high enough?

Your religion perpetuated the myth that black people come from the Mark of Cain.

This is NOT Christian. Sorry to bore you, but you simply keep trying to "make" it Christian.

It will never happen.
I knew you couldn't resist. My man...

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#25396 May 8, 2013
<quoted text>
I respectfully disagree. She made no mention that either her parents or the Church made her feel that way. What she felt is normal for any woman, or young girl, to feel when such a violent crime has been committed against them. She had a great wrong done to her. The psychological effects of the rape(s) made her feel that way. I don't think any woman if raped would feel good about it, or worthwhile. One thing I do agree with you on is the fact that only she knows, and it's certainly not the WP. I'm also saying that for her to still be a member, go to BYU, and serve a mission is not the actions of a person would who blames her parents or her faith. No. Those are the actions of a woman who had the love and support from her family and faith to make it through such a horrible ordeal.
Smart spoke at a Johns Hopkins human trafficking forum, saying she was raised in a religious household and recalled a school teacher who spoke once about abstinence and compared sex to chewing gum.

"I thought,'Oh, my gosh, I'm that chewed up piece of gum, nobody re-chews a piece of gum, you throw it away.' And that's how easy it is to feel like you know longer have worth, you know longer have value," Smart said. "Why would it even be worth screaming out? Why would it even make a difference if you are rescued? Your life still has no value."
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Latest-News-Wire...

Your cult makes sure she feels worthless

Location hidden

#25397 May 8, 2013
<quoted text>
Promiscuity is much different than being raped. In case you were wondering how it is... One is a willing participant while the other is the unwilling victim of a crime.
Not the way your cult teaches it..

“The Pleasure is all MINE”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#25398 May 8, 2013
Thanks.

One day you'll just say

"Yea Osirica, the Mormon scripture basically stole the idea from the baptists and they didn't get it from the Bible. I don't know if Joseph Smith knew it, but he clearly didn't get that nonsense from God. Good point"

And then... we'd move on to the next thing.

But you and No Surprise just want to keep the visegrips a turning...
<quoted text>
I knew you couldn't resist. My man...

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#25399 May 8, 2013
<quoted text>
Not making any predictions, but you may be seeing the first steps of her leaving Mormonism. Clearly her message is changing from the time she was first released from her rapist. It's been almost 10 years since then, but she is still in the process of healing. Anger is one of the steps.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#25400 May 8, 2013
osirica wrote:
It's not history, and it certainly is not truth.
But you show us how your hate and ignorance clouds your mind.
No I would not want one, who comes from a religion like yours, leading my country.
And you saying "it's history" yet showing nothing historical to back it up...qualifies as truth.
Say "the four elements is truth, it's history, and you just don't want to face the truth"
Say "the flat earth is truth, it's history ,and you just don't want to face the truth"
Tell a lie, call it true, and tell us how we do not want to face your lies and acknowledge them as truth.
Come on... say it again... say it again! It sounds so profound and powerful when you say it. ANYTHING can be true!
<quoted text>
What are you talking about... I said nothing about Presidency.

You just like contention, you are a sad sad person.

Ava, MO

#25401 May 8, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>Smart spoke at a Johns Hopkins human trafficking forum, saying she was raised in a religious household and recalled a school teacher who spoke once about abstinence and compared sex to chewing gum.

"I thought,'Oh, my gosh, I'm that chewed up piece of gum, nobody re-chews a piece of gum, you throw it away.' And that's how easy it is to feel like you know longer have worth, you know longer have value," Smart said. "Why would it even be worth screaming out? Why would it even make a difference if you are rescued? Your life still has no value."

It's simple cause and effect. Rape causes shame, low self-esteem, worthlessness.

Here look it up for yourself.
https://www.google.com/search...

Ava, MO

#25402 May 8, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>Smart spoke at a Johns Hopkins human trafficking forum, saying she was raised in a religious household and recalled a school teacher who spoke once about abstinence and compared sex to chewing gum.

Oh, in other words, you're stupid.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#25403 May 8, 2013
osirica wrote:
Genesis 2:8 8 Now the Lord God had planted a garden in the east, in Eden.
The garden is IN eden.
Genesis 2:9 The Lord God made all kinds of trees grow out of the ground—trees that were pleasing to the eye and good for food.
All kinds of trees...
Genesis 2:10 A river watering the garden flowed from Eden; from there it was separated into four headwaters.
So Eden was a place, a mountain of sorts where the river started.
The GARDEN is IN Eden. There are all kinds of trees, and FROM that flows four rivers. ONE being a river that surrounds Ethiopia.
Now what mountains, in Europe do you know of, where there would be a good environment for this?
There is no such place.
Only in Africa can this be possible. MAYBE India.
Shut the door on your WAY OUT.
<quoted text>
Pangea would have put the lands together...

http://geology.com/pangea.htm

Rivers dried.

You can not conclude how big the Garden of Eden is.

*Yea, Yea,
I say Heavenly Father can divide water,
I say Heavenly Father can create this world in 6 days,
and I say Heavenly Father can shift the continental drift in a single day if he chooses.

Marysville, CA

#25404 May 8, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
Smart spoke at a Johns Hopkins human trafficking forum, saying she was raised in a religious household and recalled a school teacher who spoke once about abstinence and compared sex to chewing gum.
It was certainly taught in Sunday school. Here is a post from an Exmormon written in 2009 talking about it:

Subject: Re: Keep your pants on, boys!
Date: Mar 10 04:57
Author: newyorknewyork
It seems like the bulk of the most offensive lessons entailed education about chastity and all things sexual in nature. My favorite was an MIA lesson about remaining chaste. We were offered pieces of gum as the lesson began. We chomped away for several minutes before the teacher asked us to spit the gum out into a cardboard box. Then we were offered yet another piece of gum and asked whether we would rather chew the new or the old. And that, dear girls, is what happens to you when you lose your virginity too soon. Noone is going to want to chew an already used piece of gum.

http://www.exmormon.org/mormon/mormon571.htm

You really can't understate how much the LDS church pounds being virgin into their kids. I remember the priesthood conference where I heard the "come home in a coffin" speech to this day. It was the first time I said "F**k you" out loud in a meeting. I was reported to the Bishop and my parents.

Marysville, CA

#25405 May 8, 2013
<quoted text>
It's simple cause and effect. Rape causes shame, low self-esteem, worthlessness.
I don't think anyone is denying that. But Smart was making the point the the teachings she got as a member, added to it. It was those lessons of "chewed up gum" that kept running through her mind.

Location hidden

#25406 May 8, 2013
<quoted text>
Oh..you know soo much about the simplicity..ask Elizabeth. Have you been taught the lose of your virginity makes you trash? Your cult as usual, has a hand in this....all white men want is a virgin, right?
DW-J

Nampa, ID

#25407 May 8, 2013
fedupwiththemess wrote:
<quoted text>If the bible is GOD's holy word why do you need the book of mormon that is NOT GOD's holy word?
Why should we limit what God has to say?

Location hidden

#25408 May 8, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
It was certainly taught in Sunday school. Here is a post from an Exmormon written in 2009 talking about it:
Subject: Re: Keep your pants on, boys!
Date: Mar 10 04:57
Author: newyorknewyork
It seems like the bulk of the most offensive lessons entailed education about chastity and all things sexual in nature. My favorite was an MIA lesson about remaining chaste. We were offered pieces of gum as the lesson began. We chomped away for several minutes before the teacher asked us to spit the gum out into a cardboard box. Then we were offered yet another piece of gum and asked whether we would rather chew the new or the old. And that, dear girls, is what happens to you when you lose your virginity too soon. Noone is going to want to chew an already used piece of gum.
http://www.exmormon.org/mormon/mormon571.htm
You really can't understate how much the LDS church pounds being virgin into their kids. I remember the priesthood conference where I heard the "come home in a coffin" speech to this day. It was the first time I said "F**k you" out loud in a meeting. I was reported to the Bishop and my parents.
Have you read any of the "one upsmanship" stories about the chewed gum/licked cupcake lesson? How about the mangled wedding cake..with the plate and fork in the girls laps representing their future husbands. It's really sick.

Ava, MO

#25409 May 8, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>Not the way your cult teaches it..
Obviously you have no idea what you're talking about. You're speaking out of plain ignorance and utter disdain for the LDS Church. It's disgusting to see that you'll jump on any bandwagon if you feel it fits your hate fueled and filled liberal agenda. It doesn't matter what it is. Just know you're not fooling anyone here. Plain and simple, the Church is teaching young girls about not being sexually promiscuous. Not about being the victim of a sexual crime. I have three daughters, all of which who know the difference. Why don't you? Grow up.

Ava, MO

#25410 May 8, 2013
osirica wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks.

One day you'll just say

"Yea Osirica, the Mormon scripture basically stole the idea from the baptists and they didn't get it from the Bible. I don't know if Joseph Smith knew it, but he clearly didn't get that nonsense from God. Good point"

And then... we'd move on to the next thing.

But you and No Surprise just want to keep the visegrips a turning...
You know what I really wanted to say, didn't you? But I promised Dana I'd try and be nice. Now, what was it you were saying? Oh yeah, wah wa wa wah wah.

Ava, MO

#25411 May 8, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>Not making any predictions, but you may be seeing the first steps of her leaving Mormonism. Clearly her message is changing from the time she was first released from her rapist. It's been almost 10 years since then, but she is still in the process of healing. Anger is one of the steps.
We'll just have to wait and see. As of now, I just don't see it, especially when it was the love of her parents and faith that helped to pull her through. But we'll see.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Salt Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Salt Lake City Criminal Mugshots and Arrests Re... 19 min Mia 1
News FBI Offering $50K Reward For Lyle Jeffs' Capture Sat Julie 4
News Looking back at the 1983 flood that sent a rive... Sat Lydia 2
why mormon missionaries have sex with married w... (Jun '12) Sat Roy R 18
West Valley Gang Bangers.. (Nov '08) Sat Dahalu 80
Looking for a girl friend (May '07) Sat Dahalu 800
Are Aliens Real, if so are they nice or mean? (Oct '12) Sat Sheaqua 20

North Salt Lake Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance