Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 31994 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#25348 May 7, 2013
osirica wrote:
LEPROSY IS A DISEASE...
It's NOT a racial skin color.
<quoted text>
By the way, a few posts ago you stated leprosy WASN'T a disease. Nice to see you educated yourself to Hansen's disease :)
Next, to a racist there might be such a thing as a "racial skin colour". But in reality there is no such thing.

“I will not keep calm”

Since: Mar 08

Raise hell...change the world

#25349 May 7, 2013
osirica wrote:
Your church ceased to become Christian when you added to the Biblical canon, esp. when those additions were entirely false.
that goes for the blasphemous Southern Baptists up until they renounced it, and for the blasphemous Mormons who still teach it...
You get it? You can have people "not" be Christian, and then renounce their error.
You can have churches that are not Christian and the Church body can renounce their blasphemy.
But you cannot have a church be Christian AND hold on to blasphemy and heresy.
<quoted text>
The definition of Christian, is a belief in Christ.

“I will not keep calm”

Since: Mar 08

Raise hell...change the world

#25350 May 7, 2013
osirica wrote:
Neither was Obama until Fox News got all into him going to Trinity United Church.
And no i don't say it as if no one should have the audacity to run...
But it's quite offensive to have one running against him whose part of a religion teaching that he's black because of a curse in the Bible.
ESPECIALLY WHEN ITS NOT IN THE BIBLE!!!!
<quoted text>
That is exactly how you said it. Religion or race have no place in politics.
You seem like an intelligent man, which tells me that you know that as well.
Yes, the curse of Cain is a Mormon teaching, however what does that have to do with running against Obama ?
I honestly wouldn't care if our president was a purple atheist, as long as they put the citizens first.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#25351 May 8, 2013
osirica wrote:
Interesting...
There is no guarantee that it was or that it wasn't white skin either...
There is no guarantee that it was or that it wasn't red hair, or freckles, or blonde hair... or a crow, or an eagle, or a strange disease, or a superhuman ability, or great stature, or a cane with God's name...
<quoted text>
You make jokes?

It's history.

It's the truth.

You don't want to face the truth.

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#25353 May 8, 2013
osirica wrote:
SO what.
That has no meaning of any kind on anything.
Can you imagine how obsessive this sounds?
Oh no? Ok read this:
In Europe, I've read about pure blooded black Europeans coming from both parents pure blooded white Europeans with reddish, blonde hair. Europeans will often capture them and keep them for slaves.
Now doesn't that sound racist to you?
Funny how when it's the other way around you see "racism", but you don't see it when you blab it out.
<quoted text>
She thinks it's proof of Nephites having lived here.

Ava, MO

#25354 May 8, 2013
Livinginthelandofcrazy wrote:
<quoted text>It's reverse racism. Most blacks voted for Obama because he was black. They did not vote for Romney because he was a white "Mormon," only because he was white. The blacks that did vote for Romney were ridiculed and insulted. "Stacey Dash, who also has Mexican heritage, is best known for the 1995 film "Clueless" and the recent cable-TV drama "Single Ladies." On Twitter, she was called "jigaboo," "traitor," "house nigger" and worse after posting, "Vote for Romney. The only choice for your future."
The theme of the insults: A black woman would have to be stupid, subservient or both to choose a white Republican over the first black president.
Russell Simmons, the hip-hop mogul and Obama backer, called Dash's experience "racism." Said Barbara Walters on "The View": "If she were white, this wouldn't have happened."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2012/...

If white people did this they'd be labeled racist and intolerant. If racism is so ugly and wrong against humanity, it shouldn't be tolerated from anyone.
So my point is, you should care about the blatant racism displayed by black people, famous black people I might add, like "Sam Jackson" and Snoop Dog." Just as you think I should care about about what whites say and believe. Right? By saying "I don't care," you're tolerating it and saying that it's okay.

Ava, MO

#25355 May 8, 2013
Interesting video captured at a polling place. Had these two men been white, this would have been all over the news and the liberals and blacks would be in an uproar.

http://exposingliberallies.blogspot.com/2010/...

Marysville, CA

#25356 May 8, 2013
Elizabeth Smart gives honest report on how it was the teachings of Mormonism that caused her to stay with her captive after he raped her:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/on-faith/...

Marysville, CA

#25357 May 8, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
By the way, a few posts ago you stated leprosy WASN'T a disease. Nice to see you educated yourself to Hansen's disease :)
Next, to a racist there might be such a thing as a "racial skin colour". But in reality there is no such thing.
So, white skin is a curse, then, not black? All those Mormons are lying about having the priesthood then, yes?

Ava, MO

#25358 May 8, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
Elizabeth Smart gives honest report on how it was the teachings of Mormonism that caused her to stay with her captive after he raped her:
"“I felt like my soul had been crushed. I felt like I wasn’t even human anymore. How could anybody want me or love me or care about me? I felt like life had no more meaning to it.”
“It’s feelings of self-worth. It’s feelings of ‘who would ever want me now?’ I’m worthless. That is what it was for me the first time I was raped."

I think any woman would feel this way, regardless of her religious, or non-religious, belefs.

“I was raised in a very religious household, one that taught that sex was something special that only happened between a husband and a wife who loved each other."

Mormons are not the only ones who teach morals to their children. I personally don't know any parents who teach their children that it's okay to be promiscuous.

"Smart remained in the Church of Latter Day Saints after her 2003 rescue; she attended Brigham Young University and served a mission in France."

These facts speak volumes of that it really has nothing to do with being Mormon. The WP is taking what she said out of context and drawing a conclusion that it's the Churches fault, and that of her parents, for teaching abstinence before marriage.

" Double XX Factor saying that “when we instruct teenagers to dress modestly, abstain from alcohol, never go out alone, and certainly never engage in sex, we’re not actually helping them prevent rape—but we are telling them that when they are victimized, they are partially to blame.” That is absolute BS.

When a young girl is raped, she is robbed of her virginity. She did not willingly give herself to another. He took it from her. She cannot get that back. It is gone. However, it is not her fault. And, Moroni 9:9 does not teach that it is.

Point is: It was NOT the teachings of Mormonism. The headline and article is nothing but hype and are intentionally misleading, aimed to bolster the critics of the LDS Church.

“ Soon: too late to protest”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#25359 May 8, 2013
If Mormons are following the inspired Word of God, then why did they have to change His words so much that they had to write their own version, inspired by an evil man who was, in turn, inspired by Satan?

When I get time, I'm going to research what they changed and why.

Marysville, CA

#25360 May 8, 2013
Livinginthelandofcrazy wrote:
<quoted text>
"“I felt like my soul had been crushed. I felt like I wasn’t even human anymore. How could anybody want me or love me or care about me? I felt like life had no more meaning to it.”
“It’s feelings of self-worth. It’s feelings of ‘who would ever want me now?’ I’m worthless. That is what it was for me the first time I was raped."
I think any woman would feel this way, regardless of her religious, or non-religious, belefs.
“I was raised in a very religious household, one that taught that sex was something special that only happened between a husband and a wife who loved each other."
Mormons are not the only ones who teach morals to their children. I personally don't know any parents who teach their children that it's okay to be promiscuous.
"Smart remained in the Church of Latter Day Saints after her 2003 rescue; she attended Brigham Young University and served a mission in France."
These facts speak volumes of that it really has nothing to do with being Mormon. The WP is taking what she said out of context and drawing a conclusion that it's the Churches fault, and that of her parents, for teaching abstinence before marriage.
" Double XX Factor saying that “when we instruct teenagers to dress modestly, abstain from alcohol, never go out alone, and certainly never engage in sex, we’re not actually helping them prevent rape—but we are telling them that when they are victimized, they are partially to blame.” That is absolute BS.
When a young girl is raped, she is robbed of her virginity. She did not willingly give herself to another. He took it from her. She cannot get that back. It is gone. However, it is not her fault. And, Moroni 9:9 does not teach that it is.
Point is: It was NOT the teachings of Mormonism. The headline and article is nothing but hype and are intentionally misleading, aimed to bolster the critics of the LDS Church.
I have to disagree. When you add all the teachings trying to bring shame to teens for even masturbating, and giving talks about having them come home in a coffin rather than losing their chastity, the teachings of the church did play a part in her staying. I know I was taught that it was a sin comparable to murder. The LDS church can't make those claims and then not be responsible when the member actually listens to the leaders and takes to heart what they are taught.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#25361 May 8, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
“I was raised in a very religious household, one that taught that sex was something special that only happened between a husband and a wife who loved each other and that’s what I’d been raised, that’s what I'd always been determined to follow, that when I got married then and only then would I engage in sex."
A...Regarding any religious upbringing, her words above describe the mindset of nearly any virgin religious male and female that grow up feeling/being taught the same way and want to remain a virgin till their married. It's not just a Mormon way of thinking Dana, really :)

“I felt like my soul had been crushed. I felt like I wasn’t even human anymore. How could anybody want me or love me or care about me? I felt like life had no more meaning to it.”
A...The above is a classical description of how most all victims of rape feel. It's not just a feeling due to a religious upbringing. Those feelings have little to do with religious teachings. They've been forced into an act of physical and mental violence by the perp and virgins suffering a first time rape more so than non-virgins suffering a first time rape appear to suffer more mentally as she insinuates herself.

“...And so, for that first rape, I felt crushed –’Who could want me now?’ I felt so dirty and so filthy I understand so easily all too well why someone wouldn’t run. Because of that alone. I mean, you can imagine the most special thing being taken away from you –not that that was your only value in life –but something that de-valued you? Can you imagine going back into a society where you’re no longer valued? Where you’re no longer as good as everybody else?

In the above she described how most victims of rape feel mentally afterwards be it the first time or a third time. Studies have shown that people who are first time victims of home burglary describe some similar feelings of having been mentally raped.
She reacted to rape like most rape victims describe how they feel after being raped and then uses the church as her reasoning for staying with him? Did the church also teach her if she was kidnapped she should never try to escape? Did the church teach her kidnapping was sanctified by God as good and well and she should stay with her kidnapper and or marry him because she had sex with him regardless? Obviously no.
Her issue for why she stayed with a kidnapper for so long goes beyond a connection to her Mormon upbringing Dana, nice try dude :)

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#25362 May 8, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
So, white skin is a curse, then, not black? All those Mormons are lying about having the priesthood then, yes?
So, I don't know. Is white skin a curse? Is that your belief that you're cursed because you believe Adam and Eve are black and if their black, that would show colour favoritism by your logic so according to you and Osirica God's a racist who created the first (as Osirica likes to say it) racial skin colour out of favoritism.
Since you think your cursed to have white skin, I'm curious to know your theory of how God came to curse you with white skin instead of having black skin as Adam and Eve had as you have stated.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#25363 May 8, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to disagree. When you add all the teachings trying to bring shame to teens for even masturbating, and giving talks about having them come home in a coffin rather than losing their chastity, the teachings of the church did play a part in her staying. I know I was taught that it was a sin comparable to murder. The LDS church can't make those claims and then not be responsible when the member actually listens to the leaders and takes to heart what they are taught.
http://fox13now.com/2013/05/06/video-elizabet... .... Elizabeth Smart makes it clear that main reason she did not run was she feared for her families safety.

Your extremism knows not when to know a difference and stop. Why don't you try reading more of her own words? Blogger comments who read between the lines...

MarcNMaria
6:00 AM GMT-0800
Wow. A child's thoughts at time of trauma, and what one or 2 volunteer teachers may have said, is taken as Fact, regarding LDS teachings?
I expected more of the WPost.

By comparison, the writer would look at a beautiful set of evening clothes, and write the article about the wearer's one untied shoe.........

ScottinVA
10:42 AM GMT-0800
Rape is an assault. The victim is just that, and in no way responsible for the attack.
Modest apparel is to be taught and practiced -- not to avoid rape -- but in consideration of the men who are not rapists, yet are visually stimulated sexually (which is all men).

The LDS cult has many aberrant teachings; but I think even they don't blame the victim for the crime.
This looks like a hit piece.

WayneDequer
9:10 AM GMT-0800
Unfortunately this article perpetuates some misperceptions encouraged by Joanna Brooks' article and an earlier one she links to the Christian Science Monitor They did not misquote Elizabeth Smart-Gilmour's remarks but they did misrepresent them. Before considering this topic further I strongly suggest that we all watch her fascinating talk that looks back to 10 years ago with amazing candor and insight at http://fox13now.com/2013/05/06/video-elizabet... .... Elizabeth Smart makes it clear that main reason she did not run was she feared for her families safety. She does indeed criticize shame-based programs which do need to be eliminated. Elizabeth Smart wants people to be empowered to fight back against human bondage and rape. She also was clear that she never doubted her families love for her which helped to sustain her through her horrendous ordeal. She also spoke eloquently about hope and trust in God. It was a wonderful speech and only 10-15 minutes long which is well worth the time.

Fort Scott, KS

#25364 May 8, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>I have to disagree. When you add all the teachings trying to bring shame to teens for even masturbating, and giving talks about having them come home in a coffin rather than losing their chastity, the teachings of the church did play a part in her staying. I know I was taught that it was a sin comparable to murder. The LDS church can't make those claims and then not be responsible when the member actually listens to the leaders and takes to heart what they are taught.
We're talking about teaching morality and being chaste versus having a crime committed against our person. I didn't read anywhere in that article that her parents taught her that if she were raped, it would be her fault and that she would be worthless. Nor did I read that the Church said anything of the sort. In fact, she went on staying a member of the Church, going to BYU, and serving a mission. That is not the actions of a person who blames the Church and her parents. No. It's plain the WP is sensationalizing and trying to mislead the reader by drawing that particular conclusion.

Fort Scott, KS

#25365 May 8, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>“I was raised in a very religious household, one that taught that sex was something special that only happened between a husband and a wife who loved each other and that’s what I’d been raised, that’s what I'd always been determined to follow, that when I got married then and only then would I engage in sex."
A...Regarding any religious upbringing, her words above describe the mindset of nearly any virgin religious male and female that grow up feeling/being taught the same way and want to remain a virgin till their married. It's not just a Mormon way of thinking Dana, really :)

“I felt like my soul had been crushed. I felt like I wasn’t even human anymore. How could anybody want me or love me or care about me? I felt like life had no more meaning to it.”
A...The above is a classical description of how most all victims of rape feel. It's not just a feeling due to a religious upbringing. Those feelings have little to do with religious teachings. They've been forced into an act of physical and mental violence by the perp and virgins suffering a first time rape more so than non-virgins suffering a first time rape appear to suffer more mentally as she insinuates herself.

“...And so, for that first rape, I felt crushed –’Who could want me now?’ I felt so dirty and so filthy I understand so easily all too well why someone wouldn’t run. Because of that alone. I mean, you can imagine the most special thing being taken away from you –not that that was your only value in life –but something that de-valued you? Can you imagine going back into a society where you’re no longer valued? Where you’re no longer as good as everybody else?

In the above she described how most victims of rape feel mentally afterwards be it the first time or a third time. Studies have shown that people who are first time victims of home burglary describe some similar feelings of having been mentally raped.
She reacted to rape like most rape victims describe how they feel after being raped and then uses the church as her reasoning for staying with him? Did the church also teach her if she was kidnapped she should never try to escape? Did the church teach her kidnapping was sanctified by God as good and well and she should stay with her kidnapper and or marry him because she had sex with him regardless? Obviously no.
Her issue for why she stayed with a kidnapper for so long goes beyond a connection to her Mormon upbringing Dana, nice try dude :)
I agree.

“The Pleasure is all MINE”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#25366 May 8, 2013
Yep

Bunch of silliness. IT's obviously a bunch of people memorizing how to "get the right answers" and "act".

Nothing is real
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
So, have you been to a mormon church meeting?

Location hidden

#25367 May 8, 2013
Oh you lost track of that conversation. Let me get you back on board.

Muslims enslaved whites (a lot of them) and blacks.

Now can you keep up or do I have to go back to the entire thing for you?

Muslims enslaved whites ALSO, but there is nothing about Cain or whites skin being from him...

so you can see... that previous statement makes no sense.
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
Hold on, are we talking about the African slaves?

Location hidden

#25368 May 8, 2013
Nile -

Look again...

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/nile-river...

Back then the Nile ran on a different path. It is clearly possible and probably likely that it parted and then reconnected further downstream.

Furthermore, "Ethiopia" may not have been such a large area, and the range of it may be relative to what we know now.

The Bible speaks of the land of the Kushites, not the modern country of the Ethiopians. The Kushites lived along the river, not all over the continent
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Reading comprehension. Do you understand what reading comprehension is? You don't write like you do. In fact you write like you have no idea of what reading comprehension is.
I did state..."Jew/Israelite ". That meant the writer could have been a Jew and if not a Jew he was a descendent of one of the tribes of Israel. Thus my statement which was correct to anyone with reading comprehension, Jew/Israelite.
No river surrounds all of Ethiopia. Neither does the other rivers make a complete circle about their lands.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Salt Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LDS Church ( REPENT) 7 min CANNON 2
ancestry and findagrave 18 min GAY CANNON 2
why I left LDS church 39 min Rose 26
LDS Church ( WAKE UP ) 52 min BUTTERMILK 4
salt lake city police 21 hr mike taylor 1
News 2 transgender Democrats nominated in Western GO... Thu TMI 7
News Police dog finds Utah boy who falls into manhole (Dec '14) Jun 29 CharleenHartley 19

North Salt Lake Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

North Salt Lake Mortgages