Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 31994 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#23144 Apr 7, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem is that when you start teaching that those works are essential to your salvation, you are denying the grace of Jesus Christ:
Ephesians 2:8-9(NASB)
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9 not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.
Romans 11:6
But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise grace is no longer grace.
That is as clear as a bell. Mormonism has put the demand on salvation so much on works that people are doing them for the dead in the temple. You are saying by doing that, that the grace of Jesus Christ isn't enough when the Bible clearly teaches it is and that he dead for all sin.
<quoted text>
No one here is against good works, they are the evidence that we have been saved. What we are against is the teaching that it is required for your salvation, or that they have anything to do with getting it. Mormons live in fear because they don't ever really know when they have earned their salvation. They don't know when their works are sufficient to met God's requirements. Because they can fall from grace at the right mistake and have to start all over again. Christ died once for all sin, you don't have to keep re-earning it. You can't earn it. When you try to earn it "grace is no longer grace".
I disagree. I'm a mormon, and I have been saved by grace. I am not living in fear. I have been saved from death and hell through the atonement and resurrection of Christ. I have been saved and I will continue to be saved by that grace as I continue to learn more about Christ and become more like him.

Location hidden

#23145 Apr 7, 2013
Excerpt from: "Let Us All Press On" (Text and music: Evan Stephens, 1854–1930)

"Fear not, though the enemy deride;
Courage, for the Lord is on our side.
We will heed not what the wicked may say,
But the Lord alone we will obey."

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#23146 Apr 7, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
You're being an idiot, that's what.
No. You're an idiot for attempting to claim to not being what you have been for months in these threads, a whoring rumour monger. If you're trying not to be that any more, time will prove or disprove it.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#23147 Apr 7, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Playing child word games again, pathetic. Not playing this time.
lol....liar. You stated part of Mormons salvation lay in polygamous marriages. You lied. You lied because you twisted information purposefully so it would mean what you wanted it to. That was also dishonest and purposeful deceit on your part.
Not every elder in Smith's time was told to be a polygamist.
Not every elder under Young was told to be a polygamist.
So you're a liar stating polygamy is part of every Mormons salvation. Your a pathetic liar.
The law of polygamy was revealed to select individual elders under Smith and Young, but not all elders. And that is how this verse explains what you have lied about.
"...for all those who have this law revealed unto them must obey the same."
Factual Mormon history attests that not all Mormon elders had the law of polygamy revealed to them to obey it.
So you're a liar to state differently which you have.
Stop being a liar and state what was actually said, kind of a simple concept, really.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#23148 Apr 7, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
He clearly made a statement about the resurrection, talking to you is a waste of breath. You're boring.
The question oh shallow one is why? Why did Jesus try and explain something to a group of men who didn't believe what he explained? Why did Jesus try and explain something to a group of men who believed nothing existed after death, not even a resurrection?
This group of men believed in the literal translation of the Torah they had access to and the Torah they had and read never mentions an afterlife or a resurrection.
The Sadducees didn't understand Jesus's answer and neither do you because neither the Sadducees or you understand the power of God that's attached to the promises and covenants of God for this life and or into the next life. What you don't comprehend as was the sadducees position, you'll always deny.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#23149 Apr 7, 2013
concerned in Egypt wrote:
<quoted text>
If God has not anointed anyone in 1900 years to bring new revelation so be it God is sovereign his will be done not yours not mine.
But Jesus left so the Holy Spirit could come and be our great comforter till the second coming he has not left us alone.
I am seeing now as I write why LDS what there to be new revelation so badly they believe a lie.
Christians today wouldn't recognize a prophet from God if he existed. That's a fact. The people of God didn't recognize God in the flesh 2000 years ago and didn't accept the disciples he blessed to be apostles/prophets etc. They didn't accept his gospel and they rejected him and killed him. And you think modern Christianity would be different? Me thinks you have too much faith in a religion that cuts at it's own throat with each passing decade, rejecting scripture it once accepted and accepting things it once rejected as evil.
By the way, revelation continued after the death of Christ. Revelation is nothing new. The apostles taught by revelation and the influence of the Spirit so to continue to guide the early church Jesus established after his death. Revelation ceased to be because Christians decided it didn't need to exist any more. Revelation still doesn't exist because modern Christianity believes the same as the church in Rome established, that the word of God was now in a book and no more words of God were needed. Christians decided that, not God.
Learn the difference, know the difference.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#23150 Apr 7, 2013
concerned in Egypt wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you even know what Canon means NOPE
Rhetorical question
It means that which one measures by.
A ruler of Truth.
If God anointed an Apostle today to bring new revelation today Christians would treat him with the same test of authenticity as the Bereans did Paul.
That test would be, that which he preaches is it in harmony with What God has already revealed to this point. I.E. Scripture that came before it.
You see God said not man nor angel nor hell could take his word away that it is everlasting and he will uphold even if heaven and hell stopped to exist his word would still be there.
If someone claims as J.Smith did we need his revelation to be saved I would and have rejected him as false Prophet false messenger of God as all Christians have.
Because Jesus said he came to fulfill what was needed for Salvation, he came to reveal all that was needed and he said on the cross it is FINISHED!
He COMPLETED the way man attains everlasting salvation nothing else is needed.
So I do not discount that God may bring new revelation but he won't bring new revelation that contradicts himself, what he has already revealed.
YOUR cult your Mormon faith does exactly that it redefines salvation and the very nature of God and thus with out question is not Christian but just another false Gospel that the NT warns true Christians to be vigilant and watch for and b on guard for and be prepared to refute.
Mormons are not Christians the Bible tells us so.
Or, maybe even they would treat him like they treated Jesus Christ.

“I will not keep calm”

Since: Mar 08

Raise hell...change the world

#23151 Apr 7, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
Dana,
You never answered the question:
How many LDS women feel this way?
It seems as though you are asking for an actual number, which is a ridiculous request.
I agree that it simply is not the role of the woman to hold the priesthood, but the truth of the matter is more and more LDS women are questioning why. I am 36 and it seems to be the women who are just a bit younger than myself.
I will not assume to know their reasons, and I will not judge them or make them feel like outcast for wanting an answer.

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#23152 Apr 7, 2013
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree. I'm a mormon, and I have been saved by grace. I am not living in fear. I have been saved from death and hell through the atonement and resurrection of Christ. I have been saved and I will continue to be saved by that grace as I continue to learn more about Christ and become more like him.
This isn't about what you believe that we are debating here, it is what Mormonism is teaching is required for your salvation. But your statement denies many teachings of Mormonism if you are claiming salvation by grace alone.

Location hidden

#23153 Apr 7, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
This isn't about what you believe that we are debating here, it is what Mormonism is teaching is required for your salvation. But your statement denies many teachings of Mormonism if you are claiming salvation by grace alone.
We are saved by grace and by grace alone. That is what the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints teaches. I think any one who is really interested in learning about the church should go to the source...mormon.org or lds.org . You get bad information when you look at bad sources. Just read the church published materials and I think it become readily apparent that we do believe in grace and grace alone salvation.

See the following ensign article:
http://www.lds.org/ensign/1989/07/i-have-a-qu...

"4. We cannot save ourselves by our own works. Ephesians 2:8–9 reminds us that “by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.”[Eph. 2:8–9]

Of this principle, Elder Bruce R. McConkie eloquently wrote that “man cannot save himself. He cannot be saved by the works of the Mosaic law; he cannot be saved by the works of the gospel. Man cannot resurrect himself; neither Mosaic works nor gospel works can bring him forth from the grave. The resurrection comes by the grace of God; all men are resurrected, and in that sense all are saved by grace alone. And further: No man can raise himself unto eternal life; he cannot create a state of salvation and provide the means to obtain it. Man cannot create the kingdom of God, nor can he save himself in such a kingdom. If it were not for the grace of God, as shown forth in the redemption of his Son, there would be no eternal life. Neither the works of the Mosaic law nor the works of Christian righteousness, standing alone, without the grace of God as manifest in the sacrifice of his Son, could save a man. Salvation does not come into being by the works of men; it comes because of Christ and his atonement. Because there was such an atonement, man can have faith, perform the works of righteousness, endure to the end, and ‘work out [his] own salvation with fear and trembling.’(Philip. 2:12.)”(A New Witness for the Articles of Faith, Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1985, p. 150.)"

Marysville, CA

#23154 Apr 7, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
The question oh shallow one is why? Why did Jesus try and explain something to a group of men who didn't believe what he explained? Why did Jesus try and explain something to a group of men who believed nothing existed after death, not even a resurrection?
This group of men believed in the literal translation of the Torah they had access to and the Torah they had and read never mentions an afterlife or a resurrection.
The Sadducees didn't understand Jesus's answer and neither do you because neither the Sadducees or you understand the power of God that's attached to the promises and covenants of God for this life and or into the next life. What you don't comprehend as was the sadducees position, you'll always deny.
If they didn't understand, why did some who heard his answer call him wise?

I understood his message fine, there will be a resurrection, but there is no marriage in the next life.

As for there being no teaching of the resurrection in the Old Testament, again you are like the men to whom Jesus said:“You are mistaken, not understanding the Scriptures nor the power of God."

There are several passages in the Psalms that give insight into life after death. One example is found in Psalm 16:9&#8201;–11, especially in verse 10, which reads:“because you will not abandon me to the grave [sheol], nor will you let your Holy One see decay.” This verse is especially significant in light of the fact that it was quoted by Peter in Acts 2:25 &#8201;–&#8201;28 in reference to the resurrection of Jesus. Another is found in Psalm 49:15, which reads:“But God will redeem my life from the grave; he will surely take me to himself.”(See also Psalms 17:15 and 73:23&#8201;–&#8201;26 .)

The clearest expressions in the Old Testament of belief in life after death and resurrection of the dead are found in the prophets, although not all Bible scholars are in agreement on the meaning of these passages. In Isaiah 25:8, for example, Isaiah prophesied that God “will swallow up death forever.” Another example is in Isaiah 26:19, which reads:“But your dead will live; their bodies will rise. You who dwell in the dust, wake up and shout for joy. Your dew is like the dew of the morning; the earth will give birth to her dead.” Some scholars interpret these prophecies in reference to restoring the people of Israel as a nation, while others, see these passages as clear references to a resurrection of the dead.

Isaiah 53:10&#8201;–&#8201;12 is another prophecy that is often seen as relevant to the concept of the resurrection. As a part of the Suffering Servant passages in Isaiah, this is especially applicable to the resurrection of Jesus.

http://www.doesgodexist.org/JanFeb11/Old.Test...

Marysville, CA

#23155 Apr 7, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Christians today wouldn't recognize a prophet from God if he existed. That's a fact. The people of God didn't recognize God in the flesh 2000 years ago and didn't accept the disciples he blessed to be apostles/prophets etc. They didn't accept his gospel and they rejected him and killed him. And you think modern Christianity would be different? Me thinks you have too much faith in a religion that cuts at it's own throat with each passing decade, rejecting scripture it once accepted and accepting things it once rejected as evil.
By the way, revelation continued after the death of Christ. Revelation is nothing new. The apostles taught by revelation and the influence of the Spirit so to continue to guide the early church Jesus established after his death. Revelation ceased to be because Christians decided it didn't need to exist any more. Revelation still doesn't exist because modern Christianity believes the same as the church in Rome established, that the word of God was now in a book and no more words of God were needed. Christians decided that, not God.
Learn the difference, know the difference.
Your ramblings only demonstrate that you wouldn't know God if he came back. You are hardly an expert of anyone else. That is a fact.

Marysville, CA

#23156 Apr 7, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
lol....liar. You stated part of Mormons salvation lay in polygamous marriages. You lied. You lied because you twisted information purposefully so it would mean what you wanted it to.
Anybody who can read plain English understands that is exactly what D&C 132 is teaching. The fact you don't want to understand it is your problem, not mine.

Marysville, CA

#23157 Apr 7, 2013
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>

See the following ensign article:
http://www.lds.org/ensign/1989/07/i-have-a-qu...

Edited to make room for the answer.

(Philip. 2:12.)”(A New Witness for the Articles of Faith, Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1985, p. 150.)"
Even in their claims of salvation by grace, they still admit a person has to do works to get his reward:

"Are we saved through Christ’s grace by merely confessing him as our Savior? Or are we saved through his grace after doing all we can—both in confessing his name and in keeping his commandments? Both reason and scripture loudly proclaim the latter,"

“Therefore ye are justified of faith and WORKS, through grace, to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to them only who are of the law, but to them also who are of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all.”(JST, Rom. 4:13–16.)

"Because there was such an atonement, man can have faith, PERFORM THE WORKS OF RIGHTEOUSNESS, endure to the end, and ‘work out [his] own salvation with fear and trembling.’"

2. Though salvation is free (fully available and not withheld from anyone because of time, location, or lineage), we must reconcile ourselves to God. Nephi stressed the importance of doing so:

“We labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do.”(2 Ne. 25:23.)

Under the topic grace, the LDS Bible Dictionary refers to the importance of effort in reconciling ourselves to God:

“Divine grace is needed by every soul in consequence of the fall of Adam and also because of man’s weaknesses and shortcomings. However, grace cannot suffice without total effort on the part of the recipient. Hence the explanation,“It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do.”(P. 697.)

Reconcile is code for works you must do yourself to get the Celestial kingdom.

5. We have the power to keep God’s commandments and must do so in order to be saved in his kingdom. God is willing to save us (which we cannot do for ourselves) if we are willing to do what we have to do, which is to receive Christ as our Savior, repent of our sins, be baptized as a witness of our covenant with the Lord, and continue in a life of righteousness and obedience to the end of our probation on earth.(See 2 Ne. 31:13–21.)

However, God’s grace will not do for us what we can do for ourselves. Accountable man has the power to accept Christ as his Savior. Accountable man can receive Christ’s gospel, with its principles of faith and repentance and its ordinances of baptism and the laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost. Accountable man can endure to the end by living a life of righteousness and service. When we are willing to do all this, God’s grace cleanses us from our sins, gives us the gift of the Holy Ghost, and blesses us to enable us to dwell in peace and holiness in the celestial kingdom forever.

And we are back to salvation by works. It goes on to quote:

“Yea, come unto Christ, and be perfected in him, and deny yourselves of all ungodliness; and if ye shall deny yourselves of all ungodliness, and love God with all your might, mind and strength, then is his grace sufficient for you, that by his grace ye may be perfect in Christ; and if by the grace of God ye are perfect in Christ, ye can in nowise deny the power of God.

I have never met a person who has ever been able to deny themselves all ungodliness. Never. This is all just a bunch of double talk.

Marysville, CA

#23159 Apr 7, 2013
Here is real Mormonism, do what you are told and shut up!
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865577679/...

Location hidden

#23160 Apr 7, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
Here is real Mormonism, do what you are told and shut up!
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865577679/...
Obedience means tithing.

Marysville, CA

#23161 Apr 7, 2013

Location hidden

#23162 Apr 7, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
Sounds about right....an evil controlling misogynistic homophobic racist scam run by old white men, hiding behind a religion. Packer can't even imagine tolerance, that's like refusing to eat in the same restaurant as a black person. Hopefully they are keeping all this female noise from him...if not, they are next on his hate list.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#23163 Apr 7, 2013
not ashamed wrote:
<quoted text>It seems as though you are asking for an actual number, which is a ridiculous request.
I agree that it simply is not the role of the woman to hold the priesthood, but the truth of the matter is more and more LDS women are questioning why. I am 36 and it seems to be the women who are just a bit younger than myself.
I will not assume to know their reasons, and I will not judge them or make them feel like outcast for wanting an answer.
That is exactly the point.

I understand there is no way to actually get a number... not even an approximate number.

The article he produced as evidence came from 1 woman's opinion. That was what I was saying. One woman 10 women... it's not all women.

Most women, most Mormon's understand God commands Duty, Authority, Obedience, etc.

You can't get to the Celestial Kingdom by listening to the advice of 1 woman's opinion or by listening to the advice of apostate Mormons.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#23164 Apr 8, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually the thread is about

"Who says Mormons aren't Christians?"

that does not mean that it is only about what you want to say.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Salt Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bill to ban airport smoking soars through Senat... 18 hr Go Blue Forever 4
LDS Church ( WAKE UP ) Thu wormwood 2
Read About MTC Corporation on Job Corps Fraud Blog (May '10) Jun 21 deblferg58 2
Evolution is obvious (Dec '11) Jun 18 Socialism Now 56
Magic Players (Nov '14) Jun 15 IonaBurris 2
Who knows Leann Wills (Apr '13) Jun 15 nedra 2
LDS Church ( REPENT) Jun 14 REPENT REPENT 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

North Salt Lake Mortgages