Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Oct 12, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: CNN

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Comments (Page 1,081)

Showing posts 21,601 - 21,620 of31,762
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Sep 12

Ozark, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

It means simply that once I'm dead, I cannot marry another. It also means one cannot be given in marriage once they pass away.

Ozark, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

"The point I would make about the phrase,'marry and given in marriage,' is that it is referring to the 'business transaction' of marriage. There are many aspects to a marriage arrangement, and we tend to think of it much more as a matter of love today than as a matter of business…looking at it as a business venture would seem very 'un-romantic' to us now. However, in the time of the Bible, marriage was considered much more from a practical,'business' type viewpoint. The fact was that a man could find it very difficult to live without a woman to help him in a multitude of ways, and a woman would find it very difficult to live without a man to support her. Thus, marriage was often looked at as a practical necessity, and the business of marrying someone was thus viewed as a practical thing rather than a matter of 'falling in love.' To marry, then, was what a man did when he went out and arranged for a woman to marry him, and to give in marriage was what a father did when he arranged for a man to marry his daughter. It was considered as a transaction between the two parties, and was perhaps the most crucial aspect of business a man would ever engage in. Thus, this phrase,'marry and give in marriage,' was used as a figure of speech for carrying out the everyday, common, business relations of life! We can see it used this way in Matthew 24:38-39:

38. For as in the days before the flood, they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark,
39. and did not know until the flood came and took them all away, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be.

Here, marrying and giving in marriage, along with eating and drinking, is used as a figure for carrying out the everyday, necessary business of life, just as eating and drinking stand for those everyday actions that we all do to sustain life. Marrying and giving in marriage were considered basic, crucial business transactions.

http://precepts.wordpress.com/2011/03/23/marr...

Walnut Shade, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Livinginthelandofcrazy wrote:
"The point I would make about the phrase,'marry and given in marriage,' is that it is referring to the 'business transaction' of marriage. There are many aspects to a marriage arrangement, and we tend to think of it much more as a matter of love today than as a matter of business…looking at it as a business venture would seem very 'un-romantic' to us now. However, in the time of the Bible, marriage was considered much more from a practical,'business' type viewpoint. The fact was that a man could find it very difficult to live without a woman to help him in a multitude of ways, and a woman would find it very difficult to live without a man to support her. Thus, marriage was often looked at as a practical necessity, and the business of marrying someone was thus viewed as a practical thing rather than a matter of 'falling in love.' To marry, then, was what a man did when he went out and arranged for a woman to marry him, and to give in marriage was what a father did when he arranged for a man to marry his daughter. It was considered as a transaction between the two parties, and was perhaps the most crucial aspect of business a man would ever engage in. Thus, this phrase,'marry and give in marriage,' was used as a figure of speech for carrying out the everyday, common, business relations of life! We can see it used this way in Matthew 24:38-39:

38. For as in the days before the flood, they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark,
39. and did not know until the flood came and took them all away, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be.

Here, marrying and giving in marriage, along with eating and drinking, is used as a figure for carrying out the everyday, necessary business of life, just as eating and drinking stand for those everyday actions that we all do to sustain life. Marrying and giving in marriage were considered basic, crucial business transactions.

*a matter of business… looking at it as a business venture would seem...

Walnut Shade, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

<quoted text>*a matter of business… looking at it as a business venture would seem...
Geez!!!
a matter of business... looking at it as a business venture would seem...

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Merced, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
You fricking, pathetic, out right lying hypocritical ignorant clown...lol...you just got done putting these verses down...
Romans 11:6
But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise grace is no longer grace.
Ephesians 2:8-9
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9 not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.
AND THAN YOU BOAST OF WORKS that you have been trashing EVERYONE about for weeks!!!!!!!!!! lolol
"..if you have come to what Christ is offering you, you have no choice but to change. You change how you treat people, you change how you view others, you change in that you look for ways to serve God."
You don't know if you're coming or going...why am I not surprised..
My works are a natural result of the grace I've received, but they don't save me, no more then being grateful for a gift someone gives me pays for the cost of the gift.

Merced, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
You are correct. People will not marry, nor will they be "given in marriage." Correct me if I'm wrong, but it does not say that those who are married before they die, that those marriages will be dissolved.
Remember his answer is in response to a question about a woman who had married seven brothers. They wanted to know who she would be married to in the next life. His answer indicates that she would be married to none. That she would be "like the Angels."

Angels don't marry.
Sockiepuppet

Lufkin, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Wow,why is it not a surprise you guys are still fighting?
:)

Merced, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Then what does it mean to be "like the angels?" Also, let me point out what Paul had to say on the subject:
Romans 7:
7 Or do you not know, brethren (for I am speaking to those who know the law), that the law has jurisdiction over a person as long as he lives? 2 For the married woman is bound by law to her husband while he is living; but if her husband dies, she is released from the law concerning the husband. 3 So then, if while her husband is living she is joined to another man, she shall be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from the law, so that she is not an adulteress though she is joined to another man.

If she is no longer under the law of marriage to her former husband, it is because she is no longer married to her former husband. If she were, her remarrying would be considered adultery.

Walnut Shade, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>Then what does it mean to be "like the angels?" Also, let me point out what Paul had to say on the subject:
Romans 7:
7 Or do you not know, brethren (for I am speaking to those who know the law), that the law has jurisdiction over a person as long as he lives? 2 For the married woman is bound by law to her husband while he is living; but if her husband dies, she is released from the law concerning the husband. 3 So then, if while her husband is living she is joined to another man, she shall be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from the law, so that she is not an adulteress though she is joined to another man.

If she is no longer under the law of marriage to her former husband, it is because she is no longer married to her former husband. If she were, her remarrying would be considered adultery.
Let me attempt to answer your first question here...

What it means, "to be like the angels" is that angels have never had, and never will have, the chance to experience this mortal life. They have never had the chance to come to this earth to receive a body, to experience life, and to marry another individual. They have and will never have the opportunity that you, I, or others have in this life. They are singular, and will always be that way. That's why those who are not married in this life will not have the opportunity in the next. Hence, they will be "like the angels." None will marry, nor are given in marriage in the next life. It is something that can only be accomplished in this life, during our mortal existence.

In my next post, I will attempt to answer your next question, or point rather.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Speaking of marriage, your cult is eating its own. Again

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsfaithblog/5...

Walnut Shade, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>Then what does it mean to be "like the angels?" Also, let me point out what Paul had to say on the subject:
Romans 7:

In 1 Corinthians 11:11, Paul says: "Nevertheless, neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord."

And Jesus says, in Mark 10:8-9,
"And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder."

When read, to me anyway, it is clear Paul and Jesus are teaching an eternal principle to those who know and live the lesser law, or the Law of Moses. Nowhere in the bible does it say anything ends in death. God's purpose is to Unite, not to end or tear apart.

The question that the Sadducees asked was based on a dilemma contrived from the law of Moses (Deut 25:5-10) designed to entrap Jesus. Because the law of Moses constituted a lower law, the law of marriage was for this life only (Rom 7:1-3). However, the Lord was teaching a higher law of the gospel which brought with it a higher law of marriage for eternity. I believe the Sadducees' question is confirmation that the Lord and others were attempting to teach the eternal nature of marriage. Otherwise, the question would have made no sense.

Walnut Shade, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

NoMo wrote:
Speaking of marriage, your cult is eating its own. Again

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsfaithblog/5...
You know... instead of pointing out this is wrong; that is wrong; you shouldn't do this; you shouldn't do that... Why isn't anyone spreading Christ's real message of loving one another.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
You know... instead of pointing out this is wrong; that is wrong; you shouldn't do this; you shouldn't do that... Why isn't anyone spreading Christ's real message of loving one another.
Dana is...
Because people are sick and tired of all the pain, discrimination and fear caused by so called Christian religions. Your cult is never going to change their hateful, harmful bigoted stance. They can't, it screws up all the spirit babies and harems in heaven thing.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

...actually, just make that religions in general. there are some who don't actively spread hate but not very many.

Walnut Shade, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>Dana is...
Because people are sick and tired of all the pain, discrimination and fear caused by so called Christian religions. Your cult is never going to change their hateful, harmful bigoted stance. They can't, it screws up all the spirit babies and harems in heaven thing.
I think you missed my point, then took it as an opportunity to go for the condescending, sarcastic, comment. I was speaking towards all organized, so-called Christian faiths. You're still the same. Nothing new here...

Walnut Shade, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

NoMo wrote:
...actually, just make that religions in general. there are some who don't actively spread hate but not very many.
Oh, you did get it. What a nice surprise.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Maybe you should ask the quorum?

Walnut Shade, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

NoMo wrote:
Maybe you should ask the quorum?
Which one?

Since: Oct 12

Levant, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Mommy2Bof3 wrote:
<quoted text>Sad that you claim to know the Bible, but you dont. It says in Duet. to not add anything. But we have Numbers and so on after that. Revelations was actually written before the rest of the New Testament. It isnt set up chronologically, but by size. So, everything after that scripture in Revelations must be null and void as well, according to your logic. Actually, everything written after Deut. would be....

The scripture you speak of means do not add or subtract from the current writings so as to change the meaning. Unfortunately, that has been done to the Bible many times. Which brings me to the question: which of the literally hundreds of versions of the Bible is the REAL Bible? Is it the one that okays homosexual relations? Or the one that states that you must pay the church money to absolve your sins? There is no original text of the Bible, so there is no way to know for sure which one is truly the word of God. That is where the Book of Mormon comes in. It validates the teachings in the Bible and clarifies what the Bible is saying by providing another testament of Jesus Christ.
Are you seriously that blind???? The books of the bible aren't put in chronological order

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

<quoted text>
Which one?
Oh, maybe start with your bishop for practice...work your way up. How long will it take to get to Pakkker, you think?
Why are they chasing hate instead of spreading love?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21,601 - 21,620 of31,762
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

North Salt Lake Jobs

•••
•••
•••

North Salt Lake People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance