Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 32092 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#22573 Mar 22, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm afraid you are doomed to the closet.
We will see in the end. If what you are referring to is would I die for Jesus, YES I would. I would die for him and for what I believe in.

I think of Luther and the other reformers, and the prophets in the day of Jesus Christ and how they were persecuted, and how Jesus Christ himself was persecuted... this is no different.
True Christian

Hyattsville, MD

#22574 Mar 22, 2013
Father overtime wrote:
<quoted text>
Hell doesn't exist. It's called outer darkness, and I do not believe many can get there even if they tried. Our god is all merciful, and he won't send people to outer darkness without fair opportunity. Let the baptisms that "real Christians" don't believe in resume. Silly thinking god can be In 3 places at the same time. Go ahead and disrespect Mormon truths, but you've been told. My god does not rule as a tyrant, but the "Christian god" does
No Hell? YOU WISH! If Jesus said it, I believe it. Period! He called it Hell and warned us against it. Later, much later, your so-called prophets came along and invented a new god (yes, with a small G) and your people believed a lie. If it were truth, it wouldn't have changed a bazillion times since Joseph Smith received his "revelation" message! That guy was a complete kook. Here's the funniest part about it. YOU KNOW IT TOO, but it's easier to stay in your comfort zone (the ridiculous) than to seek out the Truth.

Of course God can be in three places at once. He can be in a million places at once. That's what makes Him GOD - with a capital G! He is not only omnipresent, He is also omniscient and omnipotent, and THAT is why my God is so much more powerful and worthy to be praised than your own. I don't worship someone smaller. I worship the Almighty! The One who created the heavens and the earth. The One who created us in His own image - possessing a body, a soul, and a spirit. We are ONE individual with three "parts" that make up the whole. The same is true of God, but He is ALL-POWERFUL and able to operate in the miraculous.

Your church has diminished both His person (Diety) and His power (Supremacy).
True Christian

Hyattsville, MD

#22575 Mar 22, 2013
not ashamed wrote:
<quoted text> You do
Realize that by definition, all organized religious are cults.
I realize no such thing! There is a marked difference between a cult and a religion.

Within a healthy religious environment, family bonds are upheld and even strengthened! Questioning of the leader and basic tenets is not only accepted but encouraged. The Church urges it's members to study and discover the truth of the Word for themselves. The leader lives in a similar manner to the followers. One is offered all the information necessary to make an educated decision about joining, and once involved, can choose the amount of involvement that feels right to them - as they are led by the Holy Spirit.

A cultic environment tears families apart, does not accept any questioning, and has a leader who claims to have an exalted position - above reproach. The cult is designed to solely advance its own goals, to abuse it's members’ trust, and to use fear and shame to manipulate it's followers. It freely utilizes deceptive techniques while recruiting new members and fundraising by an obvious misuse of the Holy Scripture - obvious if a member bothered to STUDY the Word anyway! Members are discouraged from studying scripture on their own and the leaders are, therefore, free to say and do as they please without being held accountable. If this is not the PERFECT definition of your church and others like it, I'm not sure what is!
Wisdom

Rochester, KY

#22576 Mar 22, 2013
Any Cult that has ever been in the world have these 4 things in common.
1. A man will rise up and say he IS God or has a NEW message from God.
2. That same man will ALWAYS make himself the leader.
3. The Leader will ALWAYS try an isolate his followers from the outside world.
4. There will ALWAYS be some form of sexual perversion.
Joe Smith met all 4 requirements of being a cult leader just like Jim Jones, David Koresh, Warren Jeffs, Muhammad and ALL other false prophets.
True Christian

Hyattsville, MD

#22577 Mar 22, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>lol...you have joined many in making the trinity a mystery because you can't plausibly explain it. Their is no way to explain the trinity. Their is no way to explain why a single god you worship decided to become the first multiple personality disorder...
lol? Really? That is SO telling about you. This is no laughing matter, but one of eternal fate.

The Trinity is NOT a "multiple personality disorder" as you so disrespectfully contend. It is the Great Mystery because it cannot be fully understood by man. With our finite and limited minds, we are unable to comprehend the Trinity, and yet with our hearts, we can believe in the truth of the this mystery as taught in the Word of God - the Bible NOT the BOM, which is heresy!

Salvation comes to man through Jesus Christ ONLY and the blood shed at Calvary that covers our sin and washes us clean. Christians have known even from the very beginning that in order to truly believe in Jesus and accept what He did for us, it is necessary to believe in the Trinity and that in order to worship God "in spirit and in truth," we must worship the God as He truly exists in the Trinity - Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Lastly, the nature of the Trinity is not just an abstract idea or belief that has no impact on us as Christians. We "put on Christ" when we are saved and baptized and then, we begin to work out our salvation. We become like God only in that we take on His nature. We repent of and give up our own fallen human nature, and in exchange we receive the nature of Christ. In order to be saved we must exhibit this mystery of the Trinity in our own lives.

If you are believing and accepting a different God, you are NOT saved.
True Christian

Hyattsville, MD

#22578 Mar 22, 2013
Wisdom wrote:
Any Cult that has ever been in the world have these 4 things in common.
1. A man will rise up and say he IS God or has a NEW message from God.
2. That same man will ALWAYS make himself the leader.
3. The Leader will ALWAYS try an isolate his followers from the outside world.
4. There will ALWAYS be some form of sexual perversion.
Joe Smith met all 4 requirements of being a cult leader just like Jim Jones, David Koresh, Warren Jeffs, Muhammad and ALL other false prophets.
Truer words were never spoken. Amen to THAT, brother! Amen to that...

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#22579 Mar 22, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
We will see in the end. If what you are referring to is would I die for Jesus, YES I would. I would die for him and for what I believe in.
I think of Luther and the other reformers, and the prophets in the day of Jesus Christ and how they were persecuted, and how Jesus Christ himself was persecuted... this is no different.
Persecution is not an indicator of truth. Every faith has been persecuted at some point.
And debating the truthfulness of Mormonism is hardly persecution, the early Saints would be laughing at you for calling it that.

Marysville, CA

#22580 Mar 22, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>3.
So, not only was a new Church supposed to fight for their lives just to practice religion as their Constitutional Right... and many were murdered and killed. But just a few Mormons were supposed to go to all of the slave states and fight for slavery.
They could have principles and have stood by them. The early church certainly did. Moses faced the armies of Egypt and won. If you have God on your side, as the early church was claiming, you would get it right from the start and stick by it.
God had to set up his Church and do things with order.
The Civil War was between how many states? and look at the results. You think the few Mormons should have gone into the Civil War alone?
They could have been a voice against it.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#22581 Mar 22, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
They could have principles and have stood by them. The early church certainly did. Moses faced the armies of Egypt and won. If you have God on your side, as the early church was claiming, you would get it right from the start and stick by it.
<quoted text>
They could have been a voice against it.
But, they did what God said to do... build up the Church in the way he wanted it to be built up.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#22582 Mar 22, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Persecution is not an indicator of truth. Every faith has been persecuted at some point.
And debating the truthfulness of Mormonism is hardly persecution, the early Saints would be laughing at you for calling it that.
The early saints were murdered and raped because they were practicing their faith. They were driven from state to state... and they had the constitutional right to practice the faith of their choice.

You're an idiot if you say that is not persecution.
Seriously

Hyattsville, MD

#22583 Mar 22, 2013
It is imperative to be able to identify and discern false prophets. There are plenty of them in the Mormon church. God's people must discern them and ESCAPE! One way to know a true servant of God, so that we may reject the rest, is to consider the words of Jesus, who said that the good servants are they, "whosoever heareth these sayings of mine and doeth them." Those servants (or prophets) will do what Jesus Christ has told his disciples to do.

But others will preach their own invented techniques of self-uplifting, using a few verses from the Bible to support themselves. Mormons have distorted many of Jesus' words, such as His words concerning Hell. Also, see 2 Corinthians 11:13-15: "For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works."

When you compare the teachings of Christ to the teachings of Joseph Smith, there is a GREAT disparity. Therefore, it is altogether right that we denounce this religion as false. MANY are deceived in this modern-day cult, one of the largest in the world...

“I will not keep calm”

Since: Mar 08

Raise hell...change the world

#22584 Mar 22, 2013
True Christian wrote:
<quoted text>
I realize no such thing! There is a marked difference between a cult and a religion.
Within a healthy religious environment, family bonds are upheld and even strengthened! Questioning of the leader and basic tenets is not only accepted but encouraged. The Church urges it's members to study and discover the truth of the Word for themselves. The leader lives in a similar manner to the followers. One is offered all the information necessary to make an educated decision about joining, and once involved, can choose the amount of involvement that feels right to them - as they are led by the Holy Spirit.
Which is an almost exact account of my conversion to Mormonism. There was no pressure to join the church. I read the bible, the BOM and I prayed about my decision.
That is how anyone should become a part of any faith.
I questioned things often then, and still do now.
I do not accept things our leaders tell us without personal prayer
Mormons are just as Christian in our beliefs as you are in yours.
You will find people who are uneducated about their faith in all religions.It is up to each individual to educate themselves.

And yes, by definition all organized groups can be loosely defined as a cult.

Marysville, CA

#22585 Mar 22, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
The early saints were murdered and raped because they were practicing their faith. They were driven from state to state... and they had the constitutional right to practice the faith of their choice.
You're an idiot if you say that is not persecution.
And you're an idiot because you didn't read what I actually said.

Marysville, CA

#22586 Mar 22, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
But, they did what God said to do... build up the Church in the way he wanted it to be built up.
Yes, racist, and claiming polygamy was something essential for your salvation. Proof God had nothing to do with it.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#22587 Mar 22, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, racist, and claiming polygamy was something essential for your salvation. Proof God had nothing to do with it.
That's your opinion. Where's your proof?

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#22588 Mar 22, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
And you're an idiot because you didn't read what I actually said.
Yes I have.

//

YOU have an ANTI-MORMON SITE where you tell people the following:

"if you’re a Mormon who thinks I'm the

Anti-Christ and would like to help me go to hell

sooner by sending me a carton of cigarettes

(Salem 100’s please), Contact Me!"

"My Address is:

Dana Robertson
1150 W 1st St.
Merced, CA 95340

or E-Mail Me
Hate Mail Welcomed !!!
Copyright:© 2002 by “I Hate Mormonism Inc.”

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#22589 Mar 22, 2013
//

No it's you that I didn't read what you said. I was commenting on the discussion. You acting like a bully in the sand pit... twisting and mocking does nothing.

Everyone in here knows you are are vile and disgusting in your speech... accusing people of sleeping with animals. You are a sicko!

You are the VILE PREDATOR MOLESTER who ADULTERATES Christ gospel, and all relevant truths.

Your arguments have NOTHING to do with SERIOUS DISCUSSION... rather, a DEEP SEATED LUST of CONTEMPT for the Lord.

You go through the scriptures picking and choosing which part you will toy with; you don't look at the scriptures as a whole as they are meant to be looked and searched.

Instead you play word games and twist Christ Gospel trying to confuse people.
Wisdom

Rochester, KY

#22591 Mar 22, 2013
not ashamed wrote:
<quoted text>Which is an almost exact account of my conversion to Mormonism. There was no pressure to join the church. I read the bible, the BOM and I prayed about my decision.
That is how anyone should become a part of any faith.
I questioned things often then, and still do now.
I do not accept things our leaders tell us without personal prayer
Mormons are just as Christian in our beliefs as you are in yours.
You will find people who are uneducated about their faith in all religions.It is up to each individual to educate themselves.
And yes, by definition all organized groups can be loosely defined as a cult.
Why did you not read the Koran? Muhammad said the Angel of God brought the true word of God to him. Muhammad said he prayed and the Angel of the Lord said ALL religions were wrong and that God wanted him to have the true word. Strange God would have two true words delivered by Angels and those two true words are as different as can be from each other. Strange God waited 1850 years after the death of Christ to let the world know the "True" word of God found in the BOM. Strange that the word for word copied down by Joe Smith has to date 3913 word changes in it. Strange that the 116 pages of the true word of God that was stolen by Mrs.Harris couldn't be copied again.
Dumb, Dumb, Dumb, Dumb
Father Overtime

Salt Lake City, UT

#22592 Mar 22, 2013
True Christian wrote:
<quoted text>
No Hell? YOU WISH! If Jesus said it, I believe it. Period! He called it Hell and warned us against it. Later, much later, your so-called prophets came along and invented a new god (yes, with a small G) and your people believed a lie. If it were truth, it wouldn't have changed a bazillion times since Joseph Smith received his "revelation" message! That guy was a complete kook. Here's the funniest part about it. YOU KNOW IT TOO, but it's easier to stay in your comfort zone (the ridiculous) than to seek out the Truth.
Of course God can be in three places at once. He can be in a million places at once. That's what makes Him GOD - with a capital G! He is not only omnipresent, He is also omniscient and omnipotent, and THAT is why my God is so much more powerful and worthy to be praised than your own. I don't worship someone smaller. I worship the Almighty! The One who created the heavens and the earth. The One who created us in His own image - possessing a body, a soul, and a spirit. We are ONE individual with three "parts" that make up the whole. The same is true of God, but He is ALL-POWERFUL and able to operate in the miraculous.
Your church has diminished both His person (Diety) and His power (Supremacy).
We also don't believe in a multiple personality disorder. He was not in 3 places at the same time twit. God was in heaven, Jesus was on earth, and the holy ghost was a dove. It's really very straight forward.
Father Overtime

Salt Lake City, UT

#22593 Mar 22, 2013
True Christian wrote:
<quoted text>
lol? Really? That is SO telling about you. This is no laughing matter, but one of eternal fate.
The Trinity is NOT a "multiple personality disorder" as you so disrespectfully contend. It is the Great Mystery because it cannot be fully understood by man. With our finite and limited minds, we are unable to comprehend the Trinity, and yet with our hearts, we can believe in the truth of the this mystery as taught in the Word of God - the Bible NOT the BOM, which is heresy!
Salvation comes to man through Jesus Christ ONLY and the blood shed at Calvary that covers our sin and washes us clean. Christians have known even from the very beginning that in order to truly believe in Jesus and accept what He did for us, it is necessary to believe in the Trinity and that in order to worship God "in spirit and in truth," we must worship the God as He truly exists in the Trinity - Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
Lastly, the nature of the Trinity is not just an abstract idea or belief that has no impact on us as Christians. We "put on Christ" when we are saved and baptized and then, we begin to work out our salvation. We become like God only in that we take on His nature. We repent of and give up our own fallen human nature, and in exchange we receive the nature of Christ. In order to be saved we must exhibit this mystery of the Trinity in our own lives.
If you are believing and accepting a different God, you are NOT saved.
And i'll baptize all of your ancestors too. Because you don't know gods work.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Salt Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is everyone there Mormon (Apr '16) 5 hr Arlene carlson 12
a lds misionary who had sex with a married woman (Jul '11) Thu Jusmysecert 36
News Leaked videos partially pull back curtain on Mo... Wed Peter T 137
More Problems with the Book of Mormon Wed token 46
Review: Haaga Mattress (Nov '15) Wed Pam 6
Are Aliens Real, if so are they nice or mean? (Oct '12) Wed Labaron 32
White men! Date a woman with bi-racial kids? (May '11) Jan 16 Charlie P 105

North Salt Lake Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance