Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 32098 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

True Christian

Hyattsville, MD

#22516 Mar 21, 2013
not ashamed wrote:
<quoted text>Who are you kidding. Your opinion matters because you are a kind and loving man. And you are awesome. I don't agree with you in terms of faith but know you are an amazing person. If that doesn't get you into the kingdom of heaven , I'm not sure what will...
AND, therein lies the problem! Being a kind and/or loving and/or amazing person is NOT what gets anyone into Heaven.- not Dana, not you and not even I. Being sanctified by the blood of Christ is the ONE AND ONLY thing that gets anyone in. There is no other right of passage, ceremony, or relationship in this world or any other that "does the trick" so to speak. In fact, Hell will be full of kind, loving, amazing people who rejected Christ as Savior. Period - end of discussion.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#22517 Mar 21, 2013
not ashamed wrote:
<quoted text>Changing wards is not simple.I wish it were. When my husband first joined the church we had already been married for 10 years. I never asked him to join. As a matter of fact, I was not even active. However he is the one who brought me back to the church. He was a member for several years before our temple ceremony. None of the members ever made us feel out of place and many including missionaries from 1,000 miles away attended our ceremony when we were sealed. Being from the south probably made a difference in our treatment . I have heard that Utah Mormons are a bit different from the rest. My assumption is that because many people here are not BIC, we see things differently I hope your co- worker finds people to support her.
I imagine this behavior is mostly a Utah thing. What amazes me is she is a relatively new convert(not quite 2 years) and the claws are already coming out. Their behavior( and other things) is actually causing my friend and her husband to consider leaving Utah.
I hope she does too.
True Christian

Hyattsville, MD

#22518 Mar 21, 2013
not ashamed wrote:
<quoted text>Changing wards is not simple...
See, Christians can change where they worship every week if they so choose. In fact, I don't recall Jesus ever having "services" in the same place twice. Maybe He did and maybe He didn't, but it makes exactly ZERO difference where we worship the One True God as long as we do.

Since: Sep 12

Ozark, MO

#22519 Mar 21, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>I imagine this behavior is mostly a Utah thing. What amazes me is she is a relatively new convert(not quite 2 years) and the claws are already coming out. Their behavior( and other things) is actually causing my friend and her husband to consider leaving Utah.
I hope she does too.
As much as I like to disagree with you, I cannot here. I lived in Utah for one year, and couldn't get out quick enough. It definitely is a "Utah thing." There are Utah Mormons, then there are the rest of us.

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#22520 Mar 21, 2013
not ashamed wrote:
<quoted text>Changing wards is not simple.I wish it were. When my husband first joined the church we had already been married for 10 years. I never asked him to join. As a matter of fact, I was not even active. However he is the one who brought me back to the church. He was a member for several years before our temple ceremony. None of the members ever made us feel out of place and many including missionaries from 1,000 miles away attended our ceremony when we were sealed. Being from the south probably made a difference in our treatment . I have heard that Utah Mormons are a bit different from the rest. My assumption is that because many people here are not BIC, we see things differently I hope your co- worker finds people to support her.
Be careful Not Ashamed, telling the truth will get you called "Anti-Mormon" around here.:^)
True Christian

Hyattsville, MD

#22521 Mar 21, 2013
By the way, marriage is NOT eternal. When asked about marriage after the resurrection, Jesus Himself said in Matthew 22:29-30:

“You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God. At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven."

Call me crazy, but Jesus' own words will trump anyone else's - any hour of any day, any day of any week, any week of any year, or any year of all the years of eternity!

True Christian

Hyattsville, MD

#22522 Mar 21, 2013
Livinginthelandofcrazy wrote:
<quoted text>
As much as I like to disagree with you, I cannot here. I lived in Utah for one year, and couldn't get out quick enough. It definitely is a "Utah thing." There are Utah Mormons, then there are the rest of us.
A Mormon by any other name is still without the Truth.

Marysville, CA

#22523 Mar 21, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
I imagine this behavior is mostly a Utah thing. What amazes me is she is a relatively new convert(not quite 2 years) and the claws are already coming out. Their behavior( and other things) is actually causing my friend and her husband to consider leaving Utah.
I hope she does too.
It's true that Utah Mormons are usually a different breed. Growing up in the South where the church isn't as dominate the members are more closer to each other, and more dependable for help in times of need. There is more of a family feeling there because you feel more like "we are all in this together".
True Christian

Hyattsville, MD

#22524 Mar 21, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Be careful Not Ashamed, telling the truth will get you called "Anti-Mormon" around here.:^)
I AM anti-Mormon. We should call them out of this cult. Otherwise, they are doomed. When you worship a god of your own making, you are guilty of idolatry. The Mormon god is not the God of the Bible - the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. He's one the made up and assigned characteristics that are NOT Him.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#22525 Mar 21, 2013
Livinginthelandofcrazy wrote:
<quoted text>
I lean towards "this is the reality of Mormons in the majority.. The disdain for one of their own...you can imagine how they look at Gentiles.
A friend of mine, on "wear pants to church day" pulled into the ward parking lot near his home, rolled down his window and said to the people going in..." it's pants day! Are you supporting the women?" the goon squad took down his plate # and had him arrested for disorderly conduct. When he went to court, the judge threw out the case, said there was no reason for him to have been charged, much less arrested.( but he got the fact that those women received death threats into the court record) His mug shot was posted on one of those "look who's busted" sites and his co worker saw it.... All this hell and bs for showing support, something that group was asking everyone(mo or not) to do. I told one of the leaders of that group what happened, when he got arrested and she said, oh, that's too bad.
The bad behavior of Mormons in mo-land is endless. To each other and all the rest of us.

“I will not keep calm”

Since: Mar 08

Raise hell...change the world

#22526 Mar 21, 2013
True Christian wrote:
<quoted text>
I AM anti-Mormon. We should call them out of this cult. Otherwise, they are doomed. When you worship a god of your own making, you are guilty of idolatry. The Mormon god is not the God of the Bible - the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. He's one the made up and assigned characteristics that are NOT Him.
I am Mormon. I am not in a cult. Thank you for your concern. I worship the same God of the bible.
True Christian

Hyattsville, MD

#22527 Mar 21, 2013
not ashamed wrote:
<quoted text> I am Mormon. I am not in a cult. Thank you for your concern. I worship the same God of the bible.
Mormonism is a cult. Make no mistake about it. Your people worship a god of your own making, or maybe I should say of your so-called "prophets" making, but NOT the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. No way. God is NOT three individuals. He is ONE - with three aspects to His personality (if you will), and this is the Trinity. Also, your husband will never be a god, rule a planet or even be "sealed" to you for all eternity. These are all false teachings - made up by the egotistical men of your group and NOT supported by scripture. Also, God never changes - ever. Your "religion" has changed it's mind about a thousand times and over no small details. That is NOT God. That is MAN! Better wake up before you find yourself in big trouble. Don't take my word for it though. Seek God - the real One.
True Christian

Hyattsville, MD

#22528 Mar 21, 2013
Mormons teach that man can become a god, and that God was once a man:

"God himself, the Father of us all, is a glorified, exalted immortal resurrected man!" (Bruce McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, pp. 322-23, 517, 643)
"...God himself was once as we are now and is an exalted man and sits enthroned in yonder heavens..." (Journal of Discourses, V6, P3, 1844)
"As man is, God once was: as God is, man may become." (Lorenzo Snow, quoted in Milton R. Hunter, the Gospel Through the Ages, pp. 105-106)

This is plain and simple heresy. Nowhere does the Bible say or even imply that God was ever a man or that man can become a god or like God! Malachi 3:6 says, "For I am the LORD, I change not..." How could this be true if God was once a man? Genesis 1:1 states that God existed "in the beginning" before man was ever created. John 4:24 states that God is a "spirit," and Jesus tells us in John 1:18 that no man has seen God at any time. Numbers 23:19 says that "God is not a man that he should lie; neither the son of man that he should repent." God has always been God, and no one has ever "become" a god, or certainly not God Himself.
True Christian

Hyattsville, MD

#22529 Mar 21, 2013
The Deity of Jesus Christ is a fundamental doctrine of Christianity, yet the Mormons deny this truth as well. Exalting man to "god status" is apparently OK, but Jesus Christ is not acknowledged as the eternal Son of God in the Mormon church. The Mormon Jesus was a preexisting spirit who was exalted, just as Mormon followers hope to be exalted someday. HOGWASH!

God is a Trinity (I Jn. 5:7), and the second Member of that Trinity is the Lord Jesus Christ. John 1:1 says that "the Word was God," and John 1:14 tells us that "the Word was made flesh." Jesus Christ is the Word incarnate, and John 1:1 tells us that the Word was God; so Jesus Christ is God.

Jesus allowed Thomas to address Him as "My Lord and my God" in John 20:28. In Isaiah 9:6, He is called "The mighty God" and "The everlasting Father," and we read in Micah 5:2 that Jesus is "from everlasting."

Our Lord allowed people to worship him (see John 10:38 and Matthew 14:33), and since He is "God with us" (Mat. 1:23), He also has power to forgive us our sins (Mk. 2:5). Jesus Christ is clearly Deity, yet this doctrine is denied by the Mormons.

Yes, Mormons are one of (if not THE) largest cults in the world.
Father overtime

Salt Lake City, UT

#22530 Mar 21, 2013
True Christian wrote:
<quoted text>
AND, therein lies the problem! Being a kind and/or loving and/or amazing person is NOT what gets anyone into Heaven.- not Dana, not you and not even I. Being sanctified by the blood of Christ is the ONE AND ONLY thing that gets anyone in. There is no other right of passage, ceremony, or relationship in this world or any other that "does the trick" so to speak. In fact, Hell will be full of kind, loving, amazing people who rejected Christ as Savior. Period - end of discussion.
Hell doesn't exist. It's called outer darkness, and I do not believe many can get there even if they tried. Our god is all merciful, and he won't send people to outer darkness without fair opportunity. Let the baptisms that "real Christians" don't believe in resume. Silly thinking god can be In 3 places at the same time. Go ahead and disrespect Mormon truths, but you've been told. My god does not rule as a tyrant, but the "Christian god" does

Marysville, CA

#22531 Mar 21, 2013
Father overtime wrote:
<quoted text>
Hell doesn't exist. It's called outer darkness, and I do not believe many can get there even if they tried. Our god is all merciful, and he won't send people to outer darkness without fair opportunity. Let the baptisms that "real Christians" don't believe in resume. Silly thinking god can be In 3 places at the same time. Go ahead and disrespect Mormon truths, but you've been told. My god does not rule as a tyrant, but the "Christian god" does
Again, to Mormons, Jesus lied:

Matthew 10:28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 11:20-24 Then he began to denounce the cities where most of his mighty works had been done, because they did not repent.“Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the mighty works done in you had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. But I tell you, it will be more bearable on the day of judgment for Tyre and Sidon than for you. And you, Capernaum, will you be exalted to heaven? You will be brought down to Hades. For if the mighty works done in you had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day. But I tell you that it will be more tolerable on the day of judgment for the land of Sodom than for you.”

2 Peter 2:4 For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell and committed them to chains of gloomy darkness to be kept until the judgment;

One of Satan's greatest lie is that there is no hell and can make you believe it, even make it appear holy.
Father overtime

Salt Lake City, UT

#22532 Mar 21, 2013
Hell is listening to you spout things you claim to be true, but have no proof of.

“I will not keep calm”

#22534 Mar 21, 2013
True Christian wrote:
<quoted text>
I can see how you would have misunderstood my post, that is my fault. I am well aware that accepting christ as our savior is what gets us into heaven.
The thing is that when we truly accept Christ as our savior, or life reflects that. We strive to love one another and accept one another.
Now as to your comment about many kind and living people being cast into hell, I have a question.
Do you think that purple who have never heard of Christ, therefore could not accept him would be cast into hell ? If so, why would a father who loves us cast us into hell when we didn't know he existed ?

“I will not keep calm”

#22535 Mar 21, 2013
*people not purple.

“I will not keep calm”

#22536 Mar 21, 2013
True Christian wrote:
<quoted text>
See, Christians can change where they worship every week if they so choose. In fact, I don't recall Jesus ever having "services" in the same place twice. Maybe He did and maybe He didn't, but it makes exactly ZERO difference where we worship the One True God as long as we do.
Ward boundaries are set as an organizational tool, more than anything. At times I have wished I could choose my ward but thethe fact is all the lessons are the same regardless of the building.
The way we organjze our wards and braches has nothing to do with christianity.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Salt Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Nurse Arrested For Refusing To Take Blood From ... 9 hr SARAHP 45
trump erodes protected monuments to corporations Dec 7 Wild Bill 4
stupid utah drivers (Feb '08) Dec 7 Ma Kettle 124
Is everyone there Mormon (Apr '16) Dec 7 Ma Kettle 29
News In slap at Romney, Trump says he wants Orrin Ha... Dec 6 Ecken 2
Justice for Kailey !! Dec 4 skynard 77 1
News Geologists, residents see more movement in Nort... (Apr '16) Apr '16 jsmetzgerin 1

North Salt Lake Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

North Salt Lake Mortgages