Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 32098 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#22495 Mar 21, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Your opinion isn't relevant.
You are a loon!

You think you are above God and that your opinion is the only thing that matters.
Father overtime

Salt Lake City, UT

#22496 Mar 21, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
The members are punished if they don't do so, it doesn't matter if it is a commandment or not.
Punished how? Teach us.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#22497 Mar 21, 2013
I dont care if moymons are christians, just keep them loosing elections!
bollol

Rochester, PA

#22498 Mar 21, 2013
youtube.com/watch...
They are Not Christian

“I will not keep calm”

Since: Mar 08

Raise hell...change the world

#22499 Mar 21, 2013
swedenforever wrote:
I dont care if moymons are christians, just keep them loosing elections!
Yes because we all know that Obama is the answer to all of our political needs. Have you read the health care reform act?
Do you know that Obama is going to require that people get chips implanted into their arms with their medical and financial information?
Does the term anti-Christ ring a bell?
I don't know about you but it will be over my dead body before the government implants ANYTHING into the arms of my children or myself.
Do you realize that we are now TRILLIONS of dollars indebt because of Obama. The same man who promised to decrease our national deficit yet increased it.
Keep electing our leaders based on religion and see where it gets you.
My guess is we as Americans are quickly being led to being a 3rd world country.

“I will not keep calm”

#22500 Mar 21, 2013
bollol wrote:
youtube.com/watch?v=jJqHgAq5NY 8
They are Not Christian
Well that was 3 minutes and 57 seconds of my life that I can never get back. Thanks.

“I will not keep calm”

#22501 Mar 21, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a loon!
You think you are above God and that your opinion is the only thing that matters.
haahahaha.....ok I'm done. wait..... hahahahahaha Did you seriously call someone else a loon?
wow. Once again. pot meet kettle.
True Christian

Hyattsville, MD

#22502 Mar 21, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>(Hand waving) I have a question...One God/one being/one Spirit with three distinct aspects/personalities as one God/one being/one Spirit. Each aspect having a name/title: God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Ghost...And you wonder why people have problems with this concept of one God three aspects/personalities?
See how complicated YOUR CHURCH has made it when it's really very, very simple? We (man) are created in His (God's) image possessing three distinct aspects to our ONE person (body, soul and spirit)- Wah-lah! JUST like our Maker! God (Father), God (Son) and God (Holy Spirit)- three aspects to ONE God. He is still ONE - not three seperate gods as your church teaches. NOR, will you be a god one day over your own planet. That is made-up junk by your so-called prophets who are so full of themselves that they cannot handle being just a man albiet created in God's image, but NEVER a god ourselves. Anyway, the Christian God of the Bible is the Trinity - the Great Mystery - ONE GOD - and what Mormons deny.
True Christian

Hyattsville, MD

#22503 Mar 21, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Bull crap...lol.
I'll believe and entertain many different possibilities. But for you to swallow hook line and sinker this Darren tale, that he being an active Mormon for 20 years AND A MISSIONARY, having read the BOM a half dozen times at least, having read the PoGP at least thrice, having sat through possibly 30 of 50 sundays a year in church and church classes which would be about a minimum, of 600 Sundays out of a max possibility of a 1000 Sundays in 20 years, and you're going to believe he never ever heard that Mormons had two dark skinned curse doctrines?
Dude, you better review the definition of the word 'gullible'.
Stop reading the BOM - it's a book of lies and NOT God's Word, but the words of a delusional man whose one desire was to possess more than one woman and was desperately seeking a way to justify it. Who are you going to believe anyway? God or Joseph Smith? Puh - lease.
True Christian

Hyattsville, MD

#22504 Mar 21, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>... And their pleasant to be around. And they don't persecute other peoples religious beliefs. That's a Christian in my book.
First it is "... they're (as in 'they are') pleasant to be around..." and secondly a true Christian is not defined by you. It is defined by the Holy Word of God as those who repent, accept and believe in the Way, the Truth, and the Life - Jesus Christ - the real Jesus, not the silly one Mormons have made up after the fact. He was NEVER the brother of Satan. That's another lie straight from the pit of Hell. He was born of a virgin - a real one, not the sexual one Mormons have made up after the fact. She was a virgin before, during and AFTER the birth of her son. Jesus was conceived supernaturally - not naturally - as your cult teaches. God never copulated with Mary. That is another lie (even bigger) straight from the pit of Hell. You will NEVER be a god - even a little one - ever! Keep dreaming, but one day even YOUR KNEE will bow and YOUR TONGUE will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. It won't be optional, and you won't be a god with a little "g" either.

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#22505 Mar 21, 2013
Father overtime wrote:
<quoted text>
Punished how? Teach us.
Many are mistreated by other members:

That's what my wife and I did. It worked out great considering that her family are all nonmembers and my parents were just glad that I was finally getting married at 32. We were married in a park and then went to the temple exactly one year later.

I understand in some countries you are required to have a civil ceremony first, so they allow you to eliminate the 1-year waiting period.

We were shocked at how we were treated by the church for wanting to marry first outside of the temple. The bishop who performed the civil ceremony thought we were lying about our worthiness. We were denied several locations for the civil marriage, like LDS-owned parks and meetinghouses because "the church does not condone this kind of behavior" (that was from someone at the COB). We got the second-class citizen treatment all the way.

Hagoth

And if a couple gets a civil marriage first, they are forced to wait a year before the y are allowed to get their temple sealing. In England, that isn't the way it is. The law requires civil marriage first. Then the couples get their sealings the next day. There is no legit reason to abuse the US members in this matter.

Marysville, CA

#22506 Mar 21, 2013
The link to where I got that statement: http://forum.newordermormon.org/viewtopic.php...

Marysville, CA

#22507 Mar 21, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a loon!
My opinion matters because it is founded and supported in the word of God.

Marysville, CA

#22508 Mar 21, 2013
True Christian wrote:
<quoted text>
See how complicated YOUR CHURCH has made it when it's really very, very simple? We (man) are created in His (God's) image possessing three distinct aspects to our ONE person (body, soul and spirit)- Wah-lah! JUST like our Maker! God (Father), God (Son) and God (Holy Spirit)- three aspects to ONE God. He is still ONE - not three seperate gods as your church teaches. NOR, will you be a god one day over your own planet. That is made-up junk by your so-called prophets who are so full of themselves that they cannot handle being just a man albiet created in God's image, but NEVER a god ourselves. Anyway, the Christian God of the Bible is the Trinity - the Great Mystery - ONE GOD - and what Mormons deny.
An good example is that even a man can be three things at the same time. He can be a son to a mother, a husband to his wife, and a father to his children.
He is 3 in 1. Different aspects, all

“I will not keep calm”

#22509 Mar 21, 2013
True Christian wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop reading the BOM - it's a book of lies and NOT God's Word, but the words of a delusional man whose one desire was to possess more than one woman and was desperately seeking a way to justify it. Who are you going to believe anyway? God or Joseph Smith? Puh - lease.
Well you are missing a few parts. Polygamy wasn't the first thing that was brought to the table. Our church did not start as a polygamist sect. Read the history.

“I will not keep calm”

#22510 Mar 21, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
My opinion matters because it is founded and supported in the word of God.
Who are you kidding. Your opinion matters because you are a kind and loving man. And you are awesome. I don't agree with you in terms of faith but know you are an amazing person. If that doesn't get you into the kingdom of heaven , I'm not sure what will
I have Jehova witnesses come to the door all the time. I do not believe as they do, however know that one day my son may also be a missionary. So, I treat them with kindness. I offer to accept their literature if they will accept mine. Of course they never do, but I have done what I can to make them feel welcome.

Your views on religion are important. They are our convictions. any Mormon should understand that, if they don't it is their loss not yours.
Love ya.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#22511 Mar 21, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Many are mistreated by other members:
That's what my wife and I did. It worked out great considering that her family are all nonmembers and my parents were just glad that I was finally getting married at 32. We were married in a park and then went to the temple exactly one year later.
I understand in some countries you are required to have a civil ceremony first, so they allow you to eliminate the 1-year waiting period.
We were shocked at how we were treated by the church for wanting to marry first outside of the temple. The bishop who performed the civil ceremony thought we were lying about our worthiness. We were denied several locations for the civil marriage, like LDS-owned parks and meetinghouses because "the church does not condone this kind of behavior" (that was from someone at the COB). We got the second-class citizen treatment all the way.
Hagoth
And if a couple gets a civil marriage first, they are forced to wait a year before the y are allowed to get their temple sealing. In England, that isn't the way it is. The law requires civil marriage first. Then the couples get their sealings the next day. There is no legit reason to abuse the US members in this matter.
One of my co workers told me yesterday how awful some of her "friends" try to make her feel about not being married in the temple. They think they are superior and don't miss a chance to rub it in. I suggested she change wards but evidently that's not as simple as just it sounds.

Marysville, CA

#22513 Mar 21, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
One of my co workers told me yesterday how awful some of her "friends" try to make her feel about not being married in the temple. They think they are superior and don't miss a chance to rub it in. I suggested she change wards but evidently that's not as simple as just it sounds.
Changing wards is almost impossible I once found out, because I wanted to do the same. You need permission from the Stake President to "officially" do so. If you do it without permission, your attendance won't be counted at the different ward, and you won't be able to get your temple recommend. If the church allowed free changing of wards, people would flock to the more popular Bishops, or chose a ward with meeting times they rather want.(Some ward buildings have up to 3 wards in them and rotate meeting times every year). There is nothing worst than being stuck with a horrible Bishop.
So much for "free agency".

Marysville, CA

#22514 Mar 21, 2013
not ashamed wrote:
<quoted text>Who are you kidding. Your opinion matters because you are a kind and loving man. And you are awesome. I don't agree with you in terms of faith but know you are an amazing person. If that doesn't get you into the kingdom of heaven , I'm not sure what will
I have Jehova witnesses come to the door all the time. I do not believe as they do, however know that one day my son may also be a missionary. So, I treat them with kindness. I offer to accept their literature if they will accept mine. Of course they never do, but I have done what I can to make them feel welcome.
Your views on religion are important. They are our convictions. any Mormon should understand that, if they don't it is their loss not yours.
Love ya.
I love the JW's myself and give them the same courtesy I give LDS missionaries. Having studied their faith also I'm able to keep up with them scripturally.
1 Peter 3:15
but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence;

Sometimes I forget who I'm here, and need you to remind me, I thank you for that.

If you've noticed I've claimed down here a bit, that is credited to you, and our Savior.

“I will not keep calm”

#22515 Mar 21, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
Changing wards is not simple.I wish it were. When my husband first joined the church we had already been married for 10 years. I never asked him to join. As a matter of fact, I was not even active. However he is the one who brought me back to the church. He was a member for several years before our temple ceremony. None of the members ever made us feel out of place and many including missionaries from 1,000 miles away attended our ceremony when we were sealed. Being from the south probably made a difference in our treatment . I have heard that Utah Mormons are a bit different from the rest. My assumption is that because many people here are not BIC, we see things differently I hope your co- worker finds people to support her.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Salt Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
White men! Date a woman with bi-racial kids? (May '11) 1 hr Not politically c... 133
News EXCLUSIVE: Utah police chiefs meet to talk immi... (Aug '10) May 15 Sebastion 17
dispen-sary 24/7 A d d y s IRs n XR etc May 15 Trouver 1
News Geologists, residents see more movement in Nort... (Apr '16) Apr '16 jsmetzgerin 1
News Loss of members spurred LDS singles ward changes (Apr '11) Feb '15 Blow 4
News Police close to catching Midvale check fraud su... (Sep '10) Jan '15 not surprised 36
News After violent Utah landslide, a community on edge (Aug '14) Aug '14 Jeannie Jex 1

North Salt Lake Jobs

Personal Finance

North Salt Lake Mortgages