Some Officers Can't Afford To Live Where They Work

Full story: Kutv.com 9
PARK CITY The rising cost of real estate means many Utah police officers can't afford to live in the communities they serve. Read more
Robin Lucille

Kaysville, UT

#1 Feb 15, 2007
yes the housing sales and rentals are outrageous.I live with my son because I can't afford to live by myself
Mel

Englewood, CO

#2 Feb 15, 2007
Hmmm, so a police officer in Park City cannot afford to live in a million dollar home eh? I wonder how the policemen in Beverly Hills feel about that.
Yes, the housing market in Utah is out of control--the houses are so overpriced that they are sitting on the market and not selling. Who decides how much these houses are worth? Because, in reality, a house is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. It is completely unrealistic to think someone is going to pay $300,000 for a house with 4 bedrooms and ONE BATHROOM, yet that is what they are listing them at. The market is slow not because of the economy or the interest rates, it is slow because of greedy people who want far too much for their houses. Sorry, I guess I got off topic, huh?
Robin Lucille

Kaysville, UT

#3 Feb 15, 2007
no Mel, your right on track.It is all greed,the almighty dollar that controls this.Those responsible are driving away the average person.I can't afford to live here and may be moving this summer.I am a homehealth aide/nursing assistant.
Confused

United States

#4 Feb 15, 2007
Robin, that stinks that you are being priced out. We just moved here and had a heck of a time finding a reasonably priced house. We looked for over 6 months and after being turned away by shady narrow minded realtors, we decided to try something else. We got really lucky, maybe you will too :)

Since: Feb 07

East Carbon, UT

#5 Feb 23, 2007
Well sadly its all based on the job market as well as greed and availability. If they ever get an overabundance of homes or no jobs the price will go down. I moved to a little eastern town here in Utah and when I got here I saw a home that would have gone for a mill or more in salt lake go for 80. And locally here in town I have seen older homes go for from 5 thou to 20 thou. Have not seen a home over 20. Had a feller here bought 27 of them and never paid over 15 thou. HE fixed them up and sold them and he is carrying the contract. Our home is for sale and I am asking 25 they say if I can lower it to 20 they can sell it but I owe 30 so cannot give it up for less.
Confused

United States

#6 Feb 23, 2007
I am not sure where East Carbon is, but I remember looking in Beaver and seeing houses that were over $150k. Personally, I thought that was a little much for a town with no industry. I guess people commute to Cedar or even St. George from what the realtors told us. I suppose that if I could have done the commute, I would have paid it because it is so beautiful up there! I think the prices will start going down soon though. How far are you from Bountiful? Maybe Robin could find something out by where you are :)

Englewood, CO

#7 Feb 26, 2007
Gosh Utmtman, I just did a realtor search for East Carbon, UT and there was only one listing...a 4 bedroom house for $160k I put in my minimum price of $0.00 and set no maximum. None for $20k showed up in the MLS. Where did you say this feller friend of yours bought his 27 houses for less than $15k each? Just wondering.

East Carbon, UT

#9 Mar 22, 2007
New in town wrote:
Gosh Utmtman, I just did a realtor search for East Carbon, UT and there was only one listing...a 4 bedroom house for $160k I put in my minimum price of $0.00 and set no maximum. None for $20k showed up in the MLS. Where did you say this feller friend of yours bought his 27 houses for less than $15k each? Just wondering.
They are all over the valley here. If you go to those ad places they dont show you anything. I wnnt into the local newspaper and found none over 100K and three under 50K, I found after I moved here you dont find the houses in the paper they are private sellers or citys selling them and so one to find the ones under 20K. My house is for sale for 25K but you dont see it in any ads either.

East Carbon, UT

#11 Mar 22, 2007
Gillebre you as big an idiot as rocky anderson. And besides only queers live in SC.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Salt Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Who says Mormons aren't Christians? (Oct '11) 5 hr Aura Mytha 32,002
News LDS Apostle visited Tonga (Feb '14) Sun tongangodz 30,178
News Google Fiber to reach Salt Lake City Mar 28 Tom 2
Are Aliens Real, if so are they nice or mean? (Oct '12) Mar 22 Waymogv001010 12
News Loss of members spurred LDS singles ward changes (Apr '11) Feb '15 Blow 4
News Police close to catching Midvale check fraud su... (Sep '10) Jan '15 not surprised 36
News After violent Utah landslide, a community on edge (Aug '14) Aug '14 Jeannie Jex 1
North Salt Lake Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

North Salt Lake People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]