Autopsy: Antidepressants in RFK Jr. wife's system

Jul 6, 2012 Full story: Albany Times Union

The estranged wife of Robert F. Kennedy Jr. had three antidepressants but no alcohol in her system when she hanged herself in May, according to an autopsy report released Friday.

Full Story

Since: Apr 11

Danville, WV

#1 Jul 7, 2012
I can understand this....venlafaxine is the generic for Effexor and is 1000% worse as far as making you feel more depressed and more anxiety and more hopeless! I was just in the hospital and saw there how many people tried to kill themselves and they were taking either venlafaxine or the generic for Wellbutrin . I am shocked over my experience with venlafaxine. I told my daughter that I could not go on living one more day like this . I wanted to die so many times the past 3 years and never knew it was the Effexor generic that I was taking that was making me worse!!!! I read the forum on here http://www.topix.com/forum/drug/effexor/TE1Q1... and I still didn't understand until I took one of the brand name Effexor that I had left over from before the generic came out. I took the brand name for 2 days then went into the hospital to show them what I was going through. They wanted to give me the generic so I refused and guess what.....all the hell I was going through stopped!! I'm still waiting to see what happens and it's been 4 days without anything. If anyone has the brand name and you are trying to withdraw try taking it for a few days and see if you are better.

I can't believe they sell a drug in generic without testing it and the FDA takes the word of the drug company !! This is our brains and our lives. Sometimes I wonder if they do this to get rid of people. Who would know ? You were depressed to begin with so killing yourself seems like part of the depression , no one would know it is because of the antidepressant which screws with your brain to make you more depressed and anxious.
chrissy

Kingston Upon Thames, UK

#2 Jul 8, 2012
hmariewv wrote:
I can understand this....venlafaxine is the generic for Effexor and is 1000% worse as far as making you feel more depressed and more anxiety and more hopeless! I was just in the hospital and saw there how many people tried to kill themselves and they were taking either venlafaxine or the generic for Wellbutrin . I am shocked over my experience with venlafaxine. I told my daughter that I could not go on living one more day like this . I wanted to die so many times the past 3 years and never knew it was the Effexor generic that I was taking that was making me worse!!!! I read the forum on here http://www.topix.com/forum/drug/effexor/TE1Q1... and I still didn't understand until I took one of the brand name Effexor that I had left over from before the generic came out. I took the brand name for 2 days then went into the hospital to show them what I was going through. They wanted to give me the generic so I refused and guess what.....all the hell I was going through stopped!! I'm still waiting to see what happens and it's been 4 days without anything. If anyone has the brand name and you are trying to withdraw try taking it for a few days and see if you are better.
I can't believe they sell a drug in generic without testing it and the FDA takes the word of the drug company !! This is our brains and our lives. Sometimes I wonder if they do this to get rid of people. Who would know ? You were depressed to begin with so killing yourself seems like part of the depression , no one would know it is because of the antidepressant which screws with your brain to make you more depressed and anxious.
I agree with you, I took my first anti-depressant ever after going crazy with anxiety/depression, not knowing at the time that the very reason for what felt at the time as uncontrollable feelings could have been the stopping smoking drug I had taken very recently beforehand. Wellbutrin (Zyban in the UK).
btd

Oshawa, Canada

#4 Jul 13, 2012
hmariewv wrote:
Venlafaxine is the name of effexor brand name...
Venlafaxine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VenlafaxineVenlafaxine (brand name: Effexor or Efexor) is an antidepressant of the serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI) class. First introduced by Wyeth in...

Generic
Generic venlafaxine is available in the United States as of August 2006 and in Canada as of December 2006 due to patent expiry. Generic forms of the extended-release version have been available in Canada as of January 2007 and currently include Co Venlafaxine XR (Cobalt Pharmaceuticals Inc.), Gen-Venlafaxine XR (Genpharm), Riva-Venlafaxine XR (Laboratoire Riva Inc.), Novo Venlafaxine XR (Novopharm Limited), PMS-Venlafaxine XR (Pharmascience Inc.), Ratio-Venlafaxine XR (ratiopharm), Viepax (in Israel) and Sandoz Venlafaxine XR (Sandoz Canada Inc.). Generic versions of both drug forms are available now in India and Australia. Generic versions are also available in the UK such as Vaxalin manufactured by RatioPharm GmbH.[71] On May 7, 2010 the Canadian pharmaceutical company IntelliPharmaCeutics Inc. announced that the FDA had accepted its filing for a generic version of Venlafaxine XR utilizing its own proprietary technologies

All that being said I had a worse time of it when my drug store switched me to generic without telling me... so I know it can mess you up but the name on the bottle is very similar so read carefully and try to avoid hosp if you can. Myself they scare the shit out of me more now than ever.
They don't have anything but drugs is what I find and drugs is what got me here where I don't want to be.
Mariamante

Miami, FL

#5 Jul 30, 2012
I'm surprised that this was not headline news, and perplexed that her brother was denied custody of his sisters body. Why would her brother want to fight for custody of the body in the first place? The Kennedy response of blaming lifelong depression "demons" doesn't seem right either.

Since: Apr 11

Charleston, WV

#6 Aug 22, 2012

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Salem Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wanted Purdys man 'violently' resists arrest, t... Nov '14 blueeyedmoondevil 7
Hazve you been a victim? (Mar '10) Nov '14 Walden NY 32
Upstate New York Colonial Horse Farm For Sale -... (Mar '12) Oct '14 smokey 4
Foster Moore, Kleptomaniac Oct '14 smokey 1
Old Wildwood Dude Ranch Brewster, NY on Millto... (Apr '10) Oct '14 doug steinberg 7
Truesdale Lake Neighborhood's Tag Sale Features... Sep '14 Susan Luelsdorf 1
District Residents React To State Sen. Candidat... Sep '14 Brutus 1

North Salem News Video

North Salem Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

North Salem People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

North Salem News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in North Salem

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]