No charges filed against trooper in f...

No charges filed against trooper in fatal crash

There are 304 comments on the WHEC-TV Rochester, NY story from Dec 21, 2007, titled No charges filed against trooper in fatal crash. In it, WHEC-TV Rochester, NY reports that:

A State trooper involved in a fatal crash in Wayne County will not have any charges filed against him.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHEC-TV Rochester, NY.

First Prev
of 16
Next Last
justice74

Rochester, NY

#1 Dec 21, 2007
It seems as though law enforcement is above the very laws that they have sworn to uphold.

Last I checked the operator of a motor vehicle must remain in control of the vehicle at all times.

Also law enforcement must be super human, they can multi task cellphone use, laptop use texting while driving. Somehow their training transforms them into superhumans that are not held accountable to the standards held to non law enforcement individuals.

With the DWI last year where an off duty officer killed a man, with this accident and the inequality of accountability it is no wonder there is distain from youths that see enforcement doing things that the public could not get away with.
Not Surprised

Webster, NY

#2 Dec 21, 2007
Had it been a civilian they would hve been charged in a minute, makes a BIG difference in this state who you are.
Concerned Citizen

Honeoye Falls, NY

#3 Dec 21, 2007
It's a very sad tragedy...but I feel this is the right decision.
He has to live with this for the rest of his life....that is punishment enough
J Topel

Pittsford, NY

#4 Dec 21, 2007
"license to kill"
Tropper Supporter

Rochester, NY

#5 Dec 21, 2007
Apparently Not Surprised and justice 74 do not have any friends or family in law enforcement. These people are out there everyday risking their lives. If he was rushing to your house because you needed police assistance you were be singing another story. All too often do I see drivers not yield to an ambulance or a police car, yet people complain that an officer doing his JOB is not being charged with anything. He did not want to kill or hurt anyone, and lets remember even though he was hurting he went in to help her son and make sure he was ok.

Patti

Rochester, NY

#6 Dec 21, 2007
They should of dismissed him ! All these troopers and sheriffs drive to fast even when they are NOT ON A CALL. Because they are the law they are permitted too. Thats is not fair, what is wrong with our society today.
prior315er

Rochester, NY

#7 Dec 21, 2007
I agree with "Tropper" only because apparently it was found the Trooper did have his lights/sirens on. Still, Police are held to a higher standard. It's quite possible Shonda heard the lights and sirens and simply misjudged how fast he was approaching (he was traveling at 90-100 mph wasn't he?). As "Tropper" stated, too many people don't yeild to emergency vehicles either out of apathy or ignorance. My problem is if "we" average citizen realize that, so should the Troopers. I feel although not "criminal", this Trooper did not use good judgement at the least...
a cool head

Liverpool, NY

#8 Dec 21, 2007
I understand the way everybody feels but you should look at this from every perspective.This officer was responding to a call,he wasn'tout joy riding have you ever caught gravel even going 55 it can be messy.Shonda could have been at fault also,no of us know we were not there.you should yield the right of way to an emergency vehicle.How can you not see lights at 11:30 at night was she trying to turn before he reached her we will never know.Just don't jump to conclusions.It was an awful accident that is all there is to it.
prior315er

Rochester, NY

#9 Dec 21, 2007
patti, you are absolutely correct. when i lived in the town of Lyons/Wayne County not too many years ago, there was one particular Sheriff's deputy who made Route 14 his own personal race track. No lights/sirens, just always drove 80-90 mph and would pass on curves. He and a couple of his fellow Deputies could always been found drunker than skunks at a local tavern too on Saturday nights. I hope he's long gone... Point is, just because they're cops, doesn't mean they're all good. I think there's a lot to the saying "Cops are only one step away from a criminal" in a lot of cases...
noonecares

Rochester, NY

#10 Dec 21, 2007
i have to yield to the court findings but 8-90 mph is overkill. pardon the pun. patty ,wanta date since you arent a 315er any longer? you dont smoke do you?
Bonnie

Penn Yan, NY

#11 Dec 21, 2007
She was at fault for not yielding to a responding police officer. I don't know how she couldn't hear his sirens or see his lights in the night. Was she on her cell phone? Did she (or her son) have the radio up so loud they couldn't hear? We will never know, but I do know this, a neighbor heard the sirens so what does that tell you. Remember, it is the LAW that you are supposed to pull over when you see lights and sirens. I see people all the time not doing this (as I used to drive ambulance. Those of you that say he is above the law, what if it was your home or your parent's home or any family member being invaded? I bet you would be the first to complain VERY LOUDLY had the officer not gotten to your home or your family's home. If anything remember he helped get her son out of the car (even though he was badly injured himself) and tried every thing in his power to help her, but it was too late. And her family should be the ones that are being sued not him. She broke the law NOT HIM!
sad

United States

#12 Dec 21, 2007
i believe that this should be looked into more...alot of times cops so one thing and do another
prior315er

Rochester, NY

#14 Dec 21, 2007
i was on Rt. 104 in Ontario, NY in front of the Ames a couple years ago when a high-speed police chase occurred. It was afternoon and still light. I was stuck in traffic waiting for the light to turn when a car going 90-100 mph blew by on the right, followed by three or four Sheriff's cars with lights and sirens blaring. I swear they came on so fast I only heard the sirens a couple of seconds prior to them literally blowing by (they were going so fast, my car actually shook from the drafting). Anyone in that right lane would likely not have had time to react/move. Thankfully no one was. This is why so many cities have outlawed high-speed pursuits except in the most extreme cases. The same should be true when Troopers are responding to a call. 80-100 mph was too fast for this particular call and it cost this poor young mother her life.
Allen

Syracuse, NY

#15 Dec 21, 2007
the last I knew, in NY State, Police are Void from following any Vehicle and Traffic laws so the Lawmakers in Albany gave them Carte Blanche to do anything and they are now Above the Law.

Does anyone remember the elderly couple pulling into Finger Lakes and got hit by a State Trooper and Killed, The Trooper was also found not at fault because of that reason.

In Avon they had a Village police Chief that Did NOT Have a License because of DWI's. His Mother drove him to work, where Legally he could Drive a Police Car and enforce Vehicle and Traffic Laws, he even went miles out of his jurisdiction and was handing out tickets where he had no legal authority.

What about the recent DWI Sheriff who Killed someone while coming from a party, he got off also and they even tried to make the Victim into the Guilty Party, then we have John O'Connor who without Timely Police Assitance is now charged with a crime for protecting himself and his property. Then again, Albany sits on their Thumbs!

Now Some Cops are great while others just give the good ones the bad image we see once more.
WOW

Fairport, NY

#16 Dec 21, 2007
For all those who think the cop was at fault, you are incredibly wrong and its sad. Like some others in this post say, what if your house was on fire or someone was trying to kill you or rape you or commit a crime against you. How would you feel that if the cop just took his time obeying every speed limit and not passing when they could and arrived too late. it is the responsibility of Law enforcement and emergency personnel(fire/ambulance) to respond as fast as possible. RESPONSE TIME IS CRITICAL! if they took too long and someone died, some family member woulds sue because it took too long! He had his lights and sirens on.

Prior315er-What type of call do you think warrants 80-100 mph? I would think home invasion would. 80-100 is a large variance. Was he going 80, 85, 95?

They are here to protect and SERVE US unconditionally. All to often do we take advantage of them and the fact that we have them!
Police Officer

AOL

#17 Dec 21, 2007
A Grand Jury of citizens from this community made the decision to file no charges. Not the State Police.
This was an accident. Those that complain about Cops are the first to say "no thanks" to doing our job!
great full

United States

#19 Dec 21, 2007
Its amazing to read everyone's side about this accident. But, that's exactly what it was an accident. Everyone is in such a hurry now a days no one wants to give up any space on the roadways anymore. Even if that means not pulling over for an ambulance, fire truck, or police car. As an EMT and Firefighter I've been there and not seen the people pull over. I've seen the people ride the bumper of emergency vehicles just to pass other cars and get some where faster.

I've been to court and sued for not responding to a call fast enough by a family that said we took to long to get to there house to save their family member that was having a heart attack. The reason we took so long to get their was people wouldn't pullover to let us by.

People just aren't great full for the risk involved with being a EMT, Firefighter, or cop.
prior315er

Rochester, NY

#20 Dec 21, 2007
great full. Your ego is insulting. Do us all a favor and quit now if you're so bitter.
henry Sniadoch

Bloomfield, NY

#21 Dec 21, 2007
Doing 127 mph !! Are you kidding me ?? And he's not guilty ?? There's something awfully worng here .... you mean to tell me he's not endangering the lives of people living here doing that rate of speed to catch someone else ??? WRONG .... abosolutely wrong .... police have to learn to PROTECT the public not go out racing along the streets at 127 mph. I hope the family of this girl sues and wins.
WOW2YOU

Rochester, NY

#22 Dec 21, 2007
Wow :) "RESPONSE TIME IS CRITICAL!" The police officer was trying to protect another person but due to the officer hurrying he ended up taking a life. No one said that the officer on call should not have been hurrying but hurry a tad slower, I dont believe its necessary to go 90-100 mph when you may be defeating your original purpose and that is to PROTECT & TO SERVE.
WOW wrote:
For all those who think the cop was at fault, you are incredibly wrong and its sad. Like some others in this post say, what if your house was on fire or someone was trying to kill you or rape you or commit a crime against you. How would you feel that if the cop just took his time obeying every speed limit and not passing when they could and arrived too late. it is the responsibility of Law enforcement and emergency personnel(fire/ambulance) to respond as fast as possible. RESPONSE TIME IS CRITICAL! if they took too long and someone died, some family member woulds sue because it took too long! He had his lights and sirens on.
Prior315er-What type of call do you think warrants 80-100 mph? I would think home invasion would. 80-100 is a large variance. Was he going 80, 85, 95?
They are here to protect and SERVE US unconditionally. All to often do we take advantage of them and the fact that we have them!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Rose Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mott's strikers get boost from grocery workers'... (Jul '10) Jan 25 Thomas 13
News Deputies: 16-yr-old stole car, led police on chase Jan 11 DIAMOND DAISY ALERT 3
slut wife Dec '15 mark 1
News Clyde-Savannah schools chief ticketed after pas... (May '08) Dec '15 CayugaSpy 2
News Correction Officers Allegedly Forced Employee T... (Oct '09) Dec '15 CayugaSpy 3
News Wayne official blames depression for abrupt res... (Sep '07) Dec '15 CayugaSpy 2
Election Who do you support for State Senator in New Yor... (Oct '10) Nov '14 I voted Zornow 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

North Rose Mortgages