Curly-Tailed Lizard Population Threatens Native Lizards

In 60 years, an exotic carnivore capable of devouring Florida's native lizards has taken over more than 50 miles of South Florida's urban coastline. Full Story
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Annomas

Hillsborough, NC

#1 Mar 25, 2008
Are there any good population questions about lizards??
Stephen

Boynton Beach, FL

#2 Apr 4, 2008
I have about 2-4 of these Northern Curly-tailed lizards near my house in Boynton Beach. This is a highly developed area. Is anyone interested in studying them, if so, please contact me at spepejr@comcast.net.

Thank you.
Kim

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#3 Apr 5, 2008
I am an outdoor classroom pre-school teacher in SW Ranches, and we have at least one of these lizards that visits our class daily. It's possible that we're seeing more than one, but I can't be sure. I found this article interesting since it focused on the east coast, and we're in Western Broward. Should you desire more information, please contact me at c2k3v@comcast.net Thank you!
Rick

Port Saint Lucie, FL

#4 Jul 29, 2009
I live in Port St. Lucie and have alot of these Curly Tail Lizards in my yard..in all differant sizes...even some little babies..I think they are awesome to have...I used to have a bad Carpenter Ant infestation....when I bought my house....now I rarely see any Ants or even other bugs....They are really curious lizards...I'm a smoker and I smoke in my garage,have it set up like a hang out room....I've had these lizards actually come in the garaqe and just hang out...they are very cool...

“BILLARY 2016 ”

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

#5 Aug 12, 2009
These lizards, NOT native to Florida are killing native lizards and chameleons at an alarming rate. Chameleons and lizards eat all the bugs listed above and did so WAAAAAY before the curly tail invaded. These curly tails are very aggressive, large and I actually have tried to get rid of them for years but they are fast and elusive. I managed to dispose of one of their babies the other day and I felt awful about it but I want them out of my yard. Apparently, you can buy poison or use fly paper so that will be my next move.
bretteny

Miami, FL

#6 Sep 13, 2009
my mom has a few of these bastard the have eaten up her flowers and shited in her garage, she want to get rid of them or kill them all. what can she buy to kill these s.o.b??????? contact me brettenygolphin@yahoo.com

“BILLARY 2016 ”

Location hidden

#7 Sep 13, 2009
bretteny wrote:
my mom has a few of these bastard the have eaten up her flowers and shited in her garage, she want to get rid of them or kill them all. what can she buy to kill these s.o.b??????? contact me brettenygolphin@yahoo.com
The kids in the neighborhood have air guns and have taken out a couple for me. The other day, one was on the screen. When they are laying eggs, they sit there for hours so that's your chance to catch them and move them somewhere else or dispose of them. I moved mine away and I'm hoping his mate will also leave. My next step is to put flypaper out where I know they sun themselves. Just be sure to put it only where they hang out or you might catch other critters on the flypaper.

Luckily, they are only in south Florida. If you live further north, they don't like the cold. My mom is in Orlando and she only has the tiny lizards and chameleons, no nasty curly tails.

“BILLARY 2016 ”

Location hidden

#9 Sep 14, 2009
Hillary wrote:
<quoted text>
South Florida also has the nasty haitians, which is even worse than the lizards
Even nastier, ignorant, hateful racists. Luckily, we only have one of 'them' living in our neighborhood. We'll get em out-soon. Echhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
steezy

Palm Beach Gardens, FL

#10 Oct 4, 2009
why is everyone hateing on curly tails? i have some in my backyard and they co-exist with the other lizards, i dont know where everyones getting this idea they kill other lizards n stuff but ive seen little baby lizards run by the biggest curly tail ever and nothing happens. and my natural lizard population is still thriving.

i recently got some mealworms for my curly tails and they are pretty smart, they will run right up to u for a mealworm and now they just follow us around the backyard for more mealworms.. its pretty cool.
Melissa Penrose

Jupiter, FL

#11 Oct 11, 2009
why is everyone hateing on curly tails? i have
I really like the post you left I hope you are right about the curly tails not hurting the Florida lizards this would be the only reason I would want to relocate the curly tails.Other wise I say live and let live.Plus I think they are cool and fast.

some in my backyard and they co-exist with the other lizards, i dont know where everyones getting this idea they kill other lizards n stuff but ive seen little baby lizards run by the biggest curly tail ever and nothing happens. and my natural lizard population is still thriving.

i recently got some mealworms for my curly tails and they are pretty smart, they will run right up to u for a mealworm and now they just follow us around the backyard for more mealworms.. its pretty cool.

“BILLARY 2016 ”

Location hidden

#12 Oct 11, 2009
Caught another baby curly tail yesterday. Threw it in the canal. The fish love them. Now my Chameleon population is really starting to grow. They are far more interesting and beautiful to watch than those ugly, aggressive curly tails who poop all over the place . I can't stand them AND they are not native to Fla.
piwoman

Jacksonville, FL

#14 Oct 12, 2009
we now have curley tails running around in a community in Jacksonville, Fl. I understand that a kid visited his grannie in So Flo and brought a bag full of them!

“BILLARY 2016 ”

Location hidden

#15 Oct 12, 2009
Hillary wrote:
<quoted text>The haitians are not native to Florida either, and no one can stand them as well. But if you throw a baby haitian in the canal, the fish will throw it back
note to self: never vacation in Delray Beach. Yikes! They sure do grow em stupid up there.

“BILLARY 2016 ”

Location hidden

#16 Oct 12, 2009
piwoman wrote:
we now have curley tails running around in a community in Jacksonville, Fl. I understand that a kid visited his grannie in So Flo and brought a bag full of them!
It gets pretty cold in north Fla. but not here. The first freeze you have, they'll die. If not, get ready to see lots of them and they get big and aggressive. Nasty...
Hillary

Boca Raton, FL

#17 Oct 12, 2009
x0x0x wrote:
<quoted text>note to self: never vacation in Delray Beach. Yikes! They sure do grow em stupid up there.
"note to self"?? What a moron

“BILLARY 2016 ”

Location hidden

#18 Oct 13, 2009
Hillary wrote:
<quoted text>
"note to self"?? What a moron
I agree. You are a moron.
Hillary

Boca Raton, FL

#19 Oct 13, 2009
x0x0x wrote:
<quoted text>I agree. You are a moron.
You are the one who is the moron
Jules

Lake Worth, FL

#22 Jan 11, 2010
x0x0x wrote:
These lizards, NOT native to Florida are killing native lizards and chameleons at an alarming rate. Chameleons and lizards eat all the bugs listed above and did so WAAAAAY before the curly tail invaded. These curly tails are very aggressive, large and I actually have tried to get rid of them for years but they are fast and elusive. I managed to dispose of one of their babies the other day and I felt awful about it but I want them out of my yard. Apparently, you can buy poison or use fly paper so that will be my next move.
I have never seen a curly tailed lizzard prey on a native Florida lizzard. I think it is horrible of you to kill the babies!! Who are you to judge such matters? Shame on you.

“BILLARY 2016 ”

Location hidden

#23 Jan 12, 2010
Jules wrote:
<quoted text>
I have never seen a curly tailed lizzard prey on a native Florida lizzard. I think it is horrible of you to kill the babies!! Who are you to judge such matters? Shame on you.
So, if YOU have "never seen a curly tailed lizard prey on a native Florida lizard." than YOU must be right and I must be wrong. Brilliant.

Haven't seen any curly tails since it got cold. I got rid of all their babies anyway so when it warms up, if the cold hasn't killed the adults, I will. Sorry that makes you sad. Does it make you sad when a home is fumagated for squirrels, bats, rats and mice because that happens everyday, all day, all across the country.
CurlyKilla

West Palm Beach, FL

#24 May 1, 2010
I bought a soft air pistol at Dicks, it's a Barretta. I got biodegradeable bb's for it and shot 4 medium to large curly tails today. I haven't seen a sinlgle native lizzard around latley. Hopefully the native Anoles will return now. From Wellington, FL.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Palm Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dr. Nancy Styles, Palm Beach County Schools Sat Captain America 8
Review: Turnkey Auto Group, Inc. Fri martinez martin 2
Riviera Beach Music Thread (Oct '13) Dec 18 Musikologist 5
Pizza on Indiantown Rd ? Dec 13 Visitor 1
africa23 - _ tel od out fo in protest is spy ... Dec 12 africhaiti 1
home away from home child care needs investigated (Feb '10) Dec 10 UNR IRR 42
Breezeway. Motel Inn alias Motel Hell (Jan '14) Dec 10 truth teller 23
More from around the web

North Palm Beach People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE