Chaplain at Hospice by the Sea in Boca Raton resigns over ban o...

Full story: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

A chaplain at Hospice by the Sea in Boca Raton has resigned, she says, over a ban on use of the words "God" or "Lord" in public settings.
Comments
861 - 880 of 885 Comments Last updated May 10, 2009
Delray Chica

Delray Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2009

Awesome, there is hope for the world. Another person who actually READ the article. All you fundamentalists need to focus on reading comprehension...this is perhaps why the Bible is constantly misintepreted...people don't read it...they skim it and then let others tell them what to think...this article has me on my knees to God, asking him to bless the world with a little intelligence.
I Am God wrote:
Readers, let's remember that the hospice asked that the word God not be used in staff meetings, not private meetings with patients.
I totally agree, especially as I am a ordained minister and student of theology.
I provide counseling for clients and would never use any religious language without the approval of my boss or clients.
Mary Magdalene

Delray Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2009

Shut up! Before I drown you in my annointing oil!
Franco wrote:
" In God We Trust "
Shall we get rid of that too ?
Another atheist triumph !
Delray Chica

Delray Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2009

Everything you just said until the end was valid. Why can't we just have a set of non secular rules and ethics that apply to all, ummm like the consititution. Even if they are based on religious moral codes handed down generation after generation...I don't understand why people can't follow the rules because they are right and just, instead of because GOD says so. We have lots of laws to govern the people, why can't people follow them without worrying about what it says in the bible, the torah or the koran.
I support this womans right to quit her job based on new policies she doesn't agree with...however, I don't agree with her soapboxing for the religious right. I hope after reading all these comments she reflects on the negative impact she has created for one of the most merciful and loving organizations in the country--hospice, and that she gets on her knees and prays for forgiveness. I am sure God will answer her with a new job where she doesn't have to compromise her tight set of standards regarding staff meetings. Why is she working in hospice and not for a church anyway...she threw away a role to provide mercy for the dying. That was a noble profession, all this is garbage. I hope God forgives her.
Thunderstom Patriot wrote:
This is going to be a bit long. So I apologize in advance.
Civilization depends on people learning to abandon their selfish needs in order to do what is right for society. Barbarism is by nature a form of hedonism. It is taking our own needs to the point where we do not care how we hurt others.
Throughout history we have developed ways to encourage people to behave in a civilized manner. But all of them revolve around two choices. Either we behave socially in a voluntary manner, or we must be forced.
Religion is a tool that allows people to learn ethical social behavior. It has the advantage of allowing freedom. We choose to behave in a way that allows society to function so we do not need to be forced.
Religion has been used many times by the unscrupulous as a tool for control in its own right however. So religion does indeed have its dangers.
The alternative is a secular society where the rules are set in law. But this type of social construct often results in a police state over time. It allows the government to become the arbiter of what is "right and wrong" so everything becomes a matter of debate, because there is no "divine authority" that cannot be challenged.
Secular ethics has often been proven to be an illusion. Humankind has an almost unlimited ability to rationalize the evil that we commit. The Nazis felt they were right. Prisons are filled with people who all feel they are innocent.
The only way to guarantee that we are not oppressed by a police state in the long term is to adopt a hard and fast set of rules that we cannot debate. That means that religion is the only mechanism that provides this.
All you have to do is find a way to believe in God. Then it all works.
white rat

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2009

Family guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly why does your priest inspire and motivate without using God's name?
I have heard many motivational speeches over the years that did not directly involve God, but I wouldnt expect a priest or chaplain to do so.
I didn't write that the priest doesn't USE God's name. The priest doesn't OVERUSE the name of God. And as far as directly involving God, the staff meeting was looking for motivation, not a prayer. If Chaplain Mirta was incapable or unwilling to speak without proselytizing, Chaplain Mirta should have deferred to another staff member.
JAS

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2009

Family guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Dont know what this post has to do with the chaplain, but actually the government pushed the banks to do this by guaranteeing these bad risk loans. In essence they took the risk from the banks. Different motives from different people, greed for the banks, votes for the democrats, but still Frank and Dodd had a big hand in this mess.
The government did not own Freddie Mac or Fannie Mae, they were government sponsored entities. The government gave these companies lines of credit to operate. The implication was that the government would not allow Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac to fail, so it created an illusion that the government guarunateed the loans. The loans were never backed by the government, techincally. What government entities do you know of who are on the New York Stock Exchange?
Anonymous

Delray Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2009

Guess what everyone, I'm a Hospice by the Sea employee, and proud to be one too. For all the the people that wrote negative comments..........READ THE ARTICLE! I read nothing about banning the word GOD or LORD from the organization, it's only in STAFF MEETINGS. Everybody got that.......STAFF MEETINGS!!!!! It was merely suggested to the chaplains and the only reason was not to offend or make anyone uncomfortable during a staff meeting. Its just the misinterpretation of one chaplain. Hospice by the Sea has such a diverse staff, all from different backgrounds and religions. Paula Alderson just wanted everyone to come together at staff meetings without making anyone uncomfortable if in case an individual does not pray to GOD. So get off our backs, especially Paula's, she is a wonderful CEO and if you mess with her, your messing with an the entire organization. Oh and if you wrote good comments, thanks for your support.
what a surprise

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2009

Justifiably Bellicose wrote:
<quoted text>
It's idiomatic, idiot. It doesn't mean that we believe in God. It's just habit formed because of common usage. In fact, perhaps in my case it dates back to when I stupidly ~did~ believe in God.(Yes, I was a child, and my brain was being washed through religious "education" until I was given first communion. Then I wised up to the fact that all of this dogma is just so much bulls#!t.)
We might as well say "Gashplorgle Dammit!" for as significant as the use of "God" is in the phrase.
So your post scores no points. Sorry, you lose.
I'm not attempting to win anything here. Just making an observation and passing a few moments reading the latest. Your moniker tells me that anyone who doesn't agree with you would be considered a loser. The name calling tells me you have a low opinion of yourself. I'll pray for you. Have a nice day.
retarded sentinel poster

Delray Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2009

what a surprise wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not attempting to win anything here. Just making an observation and passing a few moments reading the latest. Your moniker tells me that anyone who doesn't agree with you would be considered a loser. The name calling tells me you have a low opinion of yourself. I'll pray for you. Have a nice day.
this 'man' is nothing but a wound up, frustrated little poon job. he yells like a girl at everything, whether it's a big story or one of no significance. he has one level, overwrought, and one setting, prissy.
Marco van Beavis

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2009

Anyone here who actually held a job, would know the 3 things almost all companies IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA would ask their employees to stay away from in the work place: sexual, racial, and religious connotations.

If you don't think that's right, take it up with your employer or co-workers. Tell them it's YOUR BELIEF and YOUR RIGHT. Quit your job if they got a problem with it.

You think America is Godless? Wanna take it back? Good then there's your chance. Stop riding this woman's coat tail while hiding behind the monitor typing away a bunch of hot air and pretending you're all so true to God.
Phyllis

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2009

John wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you forgotten that Jesus was a Jew? You are toying with the apple of God's eye when you speak this way. Instead of hating people - any people - why don't you try showing the love of Christ? "Blessed are the peacemakers."
Maybe the fanatic jerk who wrote these completely uncalled for comments about the Jews - had some education, he could spell better; have more intelligent comments to make, and generally, try to pray to his Lord to forgive him being "unchristian-like". What an idiot!!!
Sven

Dania, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2009

I don't think anything more needs to be said other than this is ridiculous.
Murphy in Texas

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2009

What a shame the Chaplain cannot say God or Lord when she speaks to people who are dieing in a hospice center! Where is America going when that is banned from our spiritual leaders? Don't they understand these people are dieing and need spiritual help? That's just a "given" no matter what religion you have. Even those who don't believe in God have a last chance to be witnessed to and go to Heaven before they die! What a shame and shame on "Hospice By The Sea". I probably won't see them in heaven after I die, but I will definitely pray for them so they will have a last chance to accept Christ.
Fred

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2009

How sad that none of the other 6 chaplains had a problem with this policy.
Fred

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2009

Anonymous wrote:
Guess what everyone, I'm a Hospice by the Sea employee, and proud to be one too. For all the the people that wrote negative comments..........READ THE ARTICLE! I read nothing about banning the word GOD or LORD from the organization, it's only in STAFF MEETINGS. Everybody got that.......STAFF MEETINGS!!!!! It was merely suggested to the chaplains and the only reason was not to offend or make anyone uncomfortable during a staff meeting. Its just the misinterpretation of one chaplain. Hospice by the Sea has such a diverse staff, all from different backgrounds and religions.
If these staffers from such "diverse backgrounds" go into convulsions at the sound of the word 'God' then I might see your point. As it is, they need to be a bit thicker skinned...
Teri Boca Raton

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2009

Hospice is a place to bring peace and comfort to peaple at the worst time of there lives.
You were my primary charity, beacuse I thought you dealt with the whole person...If you didn't want a prayer why did you have a chaplain and not a board member. There is so little to believe in...
Genevon Hinseth

Independence, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2009

Proud of Her wrote:
How dare they ban the word "God" or the 23rd Psalms from people giving comfort to others. It is sad that the other six did not stand up for God. As the article stated, Psalms is part of the Old Testament and not based on Jesus.
The old and the new testament is based on Jesus. Jesus is IN the old AND the new testament. He is pre-existent. He is the Creator (see Corinthians). Jesus is God (the second Person of the Trinity). Yes, I believe we are in the end times, even though this is not the FIRST time Christians have suffered persecution. Just yesterday, I sent out letters of encouragement to 4 Christians in Vietnamese prisons and one to a Christian in a prison in Pakistan.(thanks to God for the help of V.O.M. Prison Alerts). These are times when God is able to move in more visible ways though - when His saints are persecuted. And He will draw many to Himself in these times. May God be praised!
Genevon
Genevon Hinseth

Independence, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2009

Anonymous wrote:
Guess what everyone, I'm a Hospice by the Sea employee, and proud to be one too. For all the the people that wrote negative comments..........READ THE ARTICLE! I read nothing about banning the word GOD or LORD from the organization, it's only in STAFF MEETINGS. Everybody got that.......STAFF MEETINGS!!!!! It was merely suggested to the chaplains and the only reason was not to offend or make anyone uncomfortable during a staff meeting. Its just the misinterpretation of one chaplain. Hospice by the Sea has such a diverse staff, all from different backgrounds and religions. Paula Alderson just wanted everyone to come together at staff meetings without making anyone uncomfortable if in case an individual does not pray to GOD. So get off our backs, especially Paula's, she is a wonderful CEO and if you mess with her, your messing with an the entire organization. Oh and if you wrote good comments, thanks for your support.
Are you the same hospice that killed Terri Schindler? That was a shocking event to me. My mom got hospice care from Idaho for my stepdad at the very end and she really was blessed by them. When you ban mentioning God or Lord in your staff meetings, it's sure not far from getting banned from EVERY part of the work of Hospice. I agree with the one who said "ya'll need to grow some thicker skin" - Christians have to put up with a LOT of offensive things in this world! Thank God we can HAVE God without needing anyone's permission, even if the world does try to force us to keep silent.(Remember, "even the rocks can cry out, if we can't.")
Family guy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2009

JAS wrote:
<quoted text>
The government did not own Freddie Mac or Fannie Mae, they were government sponsored entities. The government gave these companies lines of credit to operate. The implication was that the government would not allow Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac to fail, so it created an illusion that the government guarunateed the loans. The loans were never backed by the government, techincally. What government entities do you know of who are on the New York Stock Exchange?
with the bailouts, unfortunately more than I care to think about and at this rate more to come!
God IS Hospice

Menlo Park, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

Not a religious fanatic or zealot by any means, this was brought up at Church this past weekend. It's the first time in over 17 years living here that I ever witnessed anything of this nature brought up in Church.
It ranks up there among the most refreshing experiences I had in Boca Raton.
Is the Hospice CEO nuts! She should ask what her patients feel about this, what the families feel about this, what the "Hospice-theme" means.
The staff provides exemplary service. And caring service as well. Ms. Anderson seems to think she's in charge of some kind of salesforce peddling a product. That's why the organization is dependant upon volunteers.
Has she ever been in the military? Has she ever been really involved with Hospitals/Hospice? It would seem that, while experienced, she lacks understanding in what hospice or chaplains are there to provide. MY humble advice is to leave God alone and stop worrying about offending someone. Her attitude is what is offensive to concerned people who are tired of political correctness run amock.
Seriously I was thniking of volunteering for such a fine organization. I'll stick with Matt Lauer's golf tournament instead.
Oh, and in the marvelous words spoken by our Pastor concerning this issue, if all you want is motivation, go look for a local football coach!
John

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

Phyllis wrote:
<quoted text> Maybe the fanatic jerk who wrote these completely uncalled for comments about the Jews - had some education, he could spell better; have more intelligent comments to make, and generally, try to pray to his Lord to forgive him being "unchristian-like". What an idiot!!!
What did I spell incorrectly (with my graduate-level education) and what did I say that was uncalled for? Were you referring to the post to which I was responding or to me? If to me, perhaps you might consider reading my follow up post to another comment on this subject.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

North Palm Beach Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

North Palm Beach People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••