Memories of Sherwood Forest and Ponde...

Memories of Sherwood Forest and Ponderosa Campgrounds in North Myrtle Beach

Posted in the North-Myrtle-Beach Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Shawn Fowler

Fuquay Varina, NC

#1 Feb 3, 2010
Started a webpage on Facebook for the Sherwood Forest and Pondersoa Campground memories in the 70's and 80's. Welcome people to join. Search on Facebook.
Kit Lewis

Summerville, SC

#2 Apr 9, 2010
I am so happy to come across some fond memories. Kit Lewis was my grandfather who I never had the chance of meeting. He died before I was born. I do know that he was a simple man who enjoyed fishing.
David

Saint Albans, WV

#3 Jan 24, 2011
Does Sherwood Forest or Ponderosa campgrounds exist anymore.
RobG

United States

#4 Apr 9, 2011
I just read on another page that the owners of Sherwood Forest moved the campground elsewhere in town and renamed it Pirate Land. The area where Sherwood Forest was is now malls.

I stayed there for a whole Summer back in 1976 or 1977 with my parents (I was I think 8 yo at the time), during a move from Virginia to Florida.
edie noble fulton

Tucson, AZ

#5 Jun 11, 2011
the other day found link to the group that hung out there every summer,can't get to it now..computer illiterate!please help..my sister knows shawn and i knew lori fries among many others!!!!!edie
edie noble fulton

Tucson, AZ

#6 Jun 11, 2011
shawn,i think you started this site i'm looking for..told sis patti about it..she remembers you..was flippin..she was very tall,brunette,i was opposite small brunette..we were all only good friends at the time,but where the hey is lori???she even flew to my house,we were buds..very fond memories..most everybody's puppy loves,lol sorry but i don't even know how to use facebook,tried but failed..i'm unfortunately seriously ill,and
haven't been able to keep up with the times..technology wise,used to, just in hospital too much last few years..would love to hear something..remember the pier and the pavillion?
Jamie

Durham, NC

#7 Jun 29, 2012
Sorry to hear these places are gone. My family used to camp at Sherwood Forest almost every summer for several years back in the 70s/early 80s. I was just a little guy, but I still remember riding my bike all over that place. I also remember the little pickup truck that drove around each day blowing the giant cloud of insecticide out the back to get rid of the bugs.
Todd Norville

Andrews, NC

#8 Jul 30, 2012
David wrote:
Does Sherwood Forest or Ponderosa campgrounds exist anymore.
. No. Sherwood Forest is now an upscale resort called north beach and the ponderosa is now ocean creek resort
Sharon Mills Speas

Myrtle Beach, SC

#9 Sep 23, 2012
I remember that little truck with the clouds of insecticide as well. We follow behind on our little bicycles - probably what is wrong with our respiratory systems now. Had such great times there - it seemed we "OWNED" the campground. They were especially great times for me since I/we lost our Dad at age 10. Great memories. We may even have a photo or two to post (when I return home). My Dad used to take us swimming in the inlet as opposed to the ocean (much calmer waters) and he liked to go crabbing,
Chip Fraser

Greensboro, NC

#10 Oct 7, 2012
I remember going camping at Sherwood Forest every year with my family beginning around 1962. In the 60's, it was fantastic. There was a pavilion or covered shelter right on the beach. Many nights during the week, bands would play there. There was also a small canteen with a jukebox there. So, all of the teens would congregate there at night. I don't know why, but I always seemed to meet girls who were staying at the Ponderosa Campground. I can't forget the green truck patrol. Those guys would ride around all night in green pickup trucks harassing the teens. It was great to walk over to the Ponderosa Campground because it had a bridge that went over a inlet or creek that ran into the ocean. It was fun swimming there. That is where I met my first love. Her name was Sherry Taylor. She was from New Bern, NC. I was almost 14, and she was almost 13. I was from Bishopville, SC. I remember, one night, a band was playing "The Pusherman" down at the beach one night when suddenly a strange atmospheric disturbance occurred. It looked like a huge white cloud bank, that was growing and moving towards us from the distance out over the ocean. Everybody began to panic and run. We discovered, the next day that it was sometime of phenomena caused by a launch in Florida. If anyone was staying there during the 60's through the 80's, they should have met or seen Mrs. Brown. She drove an old white station wagon, and stayed out near the ocean in basically the same spot the whole summer every year. She had a daughter named Jaynie who always had several other girls with her. Anyway, I sure hate that these wonderful places are no longer with us. Ah, the memories.
Joyce Kopasz

Cleveland, OH

#11 Jan 3, 2013
I used to camp at the Ponderosa for years until Charlie sold it! I camp there in the 70's until the summer of 1982. That place is where I met alot of nice peole!!! I love going out on Kits peir at night and partying in the sand dudes!! And sitting at night on the bridge that crossed the squash to met people. I finally stayed at Ocean Creek(Aug 2012) it was a wonderful feeling to be back where I spent my summers as a child onto teenhood!!!!
my name is johnna godfrey

Colonial Heights, VA

#12 Jan 23, 2013
we stayed there everyone summer in the 70's man what memories....lol
Scott Frye Mint Hill NC

United States

#13 May 9, 2013
Man what great summers, and what wonderful memories of Sherwood Forest. We camped there every summer through the 70's. Between all of my cousins and myself there was a group of about 16 of us guys. The partying and the friends we made there were the best. And the odd thing was every year when we arrived the same friends seemed to always be there, and of course there was usually a few new girls every year as well, made the days and nights exciting because we were always up to something lol. I remember the spraying trucks, kitts pier with the grill small arcade and little store, the larger arcade with the pool by the ocean, the bikes for rent up in the campground by the store. And oh yes, lets not forget that little store in the campground...Ye Olde General Store I believe it was called. Can't believe it's gone now.....but the memories will last forever.
Susen Edmunds

Columbia, SC

#15 May 30, 2013
My father helped manage Sherwood Forest from 1967-1971 when he died. I have lots of fond memories there for those summers. Remember the brand Lucks that use to sell canned vegs? They were the main owners of the campground. So enjoyed riding the golf cart down that hill, over that wood bridge over the "swash" that ran through there. Little sluggish going back up it! I had a pony on a site down on ocean side for a short period of time. Anyone remember that? Also remember the church services sitting on logs as pews? No, my dad didn't drive one of the trucks to spray for insects, in case you're wondering :)
Sabrina Parker- Martin

Towson, MD

#16 Jun 24, 2013
I remember my family used to go to Ponderosa camp grounds every year. We used to ride behind the bug trucks on our bicycles and so true that's probably what is wrong with us today. I remember going to the pavalion for crafts and stuff with a church group. There was a girl named Darlene who made a big impact in my life. Also I remember my brother got his tongue stuck in a girl named Isabelle's braces!! TOO FUNNY!! So many fond and great memories of the Ponderosa Campground I wish it was still there for my son to enjoy it as a teen like I did at age 10!!! I could go on and on about this place. My family had so many awesome times there. I have lots of pictures of me this bronzed up toe head, only had we gone there when I got to be a teenager LOL!!
Teresa Hamilton - NC

Kannapolis, NC

#17 Jul 30, 2013
Sherwood Forest Campground was the best ever!! Our parents camped there every 4th of July week from mid 1960's up until the mid 1980's. We always camped up in the wooded area where it was cooler...near the Point and that last bathhouse. Lot of good memories. Church services at the outdoor chapel. riding our bikes all over the place...it was safe back then...the old Windy Hill pier...it may have been called Kitts Pier. The swimming pool out near the beach...walking thru the scorching sand to get to the swash and that bridge that went over to the Ponderosa....the dunes and beach were still a beautiful familiar site then,...that was before the condos were built and blocked the view.....I remember we would WALK over to what was then called the Village of the Barefoot Traders....now it barefoot landing. can still remember mama and daddy loading us up in the car in middle of the night so we could make it to the campground before they opened...we would be in line to check in for our reservation. Always thought it would have been wonderful if I could have stayed there all summer and worked at the camp like a lot of young people did....but my parents knew better, and they never would let me. I could go on and on....even the fogger truck coming by every evening would be a welcome site now...kept the skeeters away ...hahaha. If anyone reads this, do you remember the ice house and the playground? the old merry-go-round that we would get it spinning really fast and everybody would hang on best they could...lol. and the swings at the playground WERE NOT for kids...lol...you could REALLY swing high...im surprised we never got hurt. I hope more of you will share your Sherwood Forest Campground memories.....
muttzee

Mount Pleasant, PA

#18 Aug 22, 2013
we stayed at sherwood Forest back in the 1970's-we are going to Myrtle Beach next week for a few days and this will be my first time back-I am so sad to here the campground is no longer there! we stayed there for two weeks when I was eight in a pop up camper-no air conditioning, at all our meals on site and had the most wonderful time in the world!!
Michael

Lincolnton, NC

#19 Sep 7, 2013
I was cleaning out some old stuff and came across and old souvenir glass, brown with a wooden handle. The latest it was made was 1974 and may be as old as 1970. I collected some of them when I was a teenager. It has both "Pirate Land" and "Ponderosa" "Family Campground" pictures and logos. We stayed there as a church youth group several times... Ironic, the chaperones had to fib and say something like; I have 4 children and they each brought a friend because only families were allowed. We had great times down there... Glad I came across the memory!
Katie

Hilton, NY

#20 Dec 20, 2013
We used to stay in our Winnebago front row on the beach at Sherwood Forest. I remember every day going to the arcade playing foosball and pool. My sister and I fell in love with a couple fun guys. I fell for Sherman and she fell for Bobby. As we got older, we loved to party in the dunes. Does anybody remember the PJ parties? No, not pajamas. PJ stood for purple Jesus which was supposedly what you'd see after drinking the fruit punch made with Everclear, fruit, Hawaiin punch and ice mixed in a styrofoam cooler. My dad would fish all day long off of Kitts Pier while mom lounged on the beach. It was our favorite vacation spot!
Cubby

United States

#21 Jan 8, 2014
Yeah, I remember all that Katie. Great memories!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North-Myrtle-Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where are all these Russians in Myrtle Beach co... (May '09) Jun 17 cdosxfx 82
News Bikefest attendees: Leta s bankrupt Myrtle Beach Jun 16 Grow Up 5
Sea Cabin condos Jun 13 Bart 3
News One person shot in Loris Jun 11 Wanda S 1
Jobs in Myrtle Beach Area Jun 5 Cat 1
News Federal funding to replenish Grand Strand beach... May '16 Three Rounds 1
Rider May '16 Sick boy 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

North-Myrtle-Beach Mortgages