Bill outlaws riding in back of pickup

There are 76 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Feb 15, 2007, titled Bill outlaws riding in back of pickup. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

The Indiana House approved by a voice vote today a measure that would bar passengers from riding in the beds of pickup trucks.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Rob

Bowling Green, KY

#1 Feb 15, 2007
I have always wondered why their are such restrictive laws regarding the safety of passengers in automobiles (i.e., safety belts, children in car seats, etc...) but an individual can drive a motorcyle with very little restiction - no helmet, protective clothing requirements, etc... Yet, my understanding is that more insurance dollars are paid out for injuries sustained in motorcyle accidents than from automobile accidents, relatively-speaking. Why are lawmakers not addressing this issue? Just wondering.
AMAZING

Indianapolis, IN

#2 Feb 15, 2007
These idiots just keep raising taxes and slowly eroding freedoms. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. Leave us the hell alone. "He who governs least governs best."
crb2

Hattiesburg, MS

#4 Feb 15, 2007
It's not based on Insurance dollars. Most motorcycles are not meant for passengers as well.

I am sure that once they make people in cars and trucks wear helmets and protective clothing motorcycle riders will be legally required to as well.
Free Market

Noblesville, IN

#3 Feb 15, 2007
I think people should be required to wear a multi point belt, crash helmet, padded fireproof suit, fireproof gloves, fireproof shoes, and the car should be equipped with a full roll cage, fuel cell gas tank, with an automatic fire extinguisher system.
After all, race drivers survive most accidents.
We should follow their lead.
If our lawmakers truly cared about us, their children, they would do this immediately.
Right on

Indianapolis, IN

#5 Feb 15, 2007
Hurray for this bill. I have seen so many kids in the back of tucks and sitting on the rails on busy streets. It would be a disaster if someone hit them from behind. Sure there are those who can be safe responsible individuals that ride in the back but this is a safeguard for those who are not.
HUH

Indianapolis, IN

#8 Feb 15, 2007
Because motorcyclists have a lobbying group (abate) who shows up every year. The general public has not been smart enough to put a group together to protect their rights.
Angel Girl

Indianapolis, IN

#6 Feb 15, 2007
This is great!!!! My neice was thrown out the back of a pickup because of the idiot driver acting up and "playing" and driving crazy. Needless to say she ended up with aonly a few broken bones and some bruises and the moron got a couple years jail time for his carelessness.
crb2

Hattiesburg, MS

#7 Feb 15, 2007
Also Motorcycles make up less than 1% of all vehicles. So how about lawmakers do the right thing for once and focus on what makes up over 90% of the vehicles.
Mike

United States

#10 Feb 15, 2007
I hope that the legislature will amend this bill to include the banning of allowing animals (dogs) to ride in the back of a pickup truck unless it is covered or they are in a secure crate.

People who put their dogs in the back of their pickup trucks should be smacked, chained to a tree and left with no water or companionship for a few days. Stupid.
Citizen One

Louisville, KY

#9 Feb 15, 2007
Yet one more example of why there is no difference between Republicans and Democrats.
MikeB

United States

#11 Feb 15, 2007
How are the illegals gonna get to work?
Local Guy

Greenwood, IN

#12 Feb 15, 2007
Free Market wrote:
I think people should be required to wear a multi point belt, crash helmet, padded fireproof suit, fireproof gloves, fireproof shoes, and the car should be equipped with a full roll cage, fuel cell gas tank, with an automatic fire extinguisher system.
After all, race drivers survive most accidents.
We should follow their lead.
If our lawmakers truly cared about us, their children, they would do this immediately.
Will that mean we can bump draft to get around people talking on their cell phones?
Dlm

Muncie, IN

#13 Feb 15, 2007
Will the nanny state just get out of my life already?
Why

Indianapolis, IN

#14 Feb 15, 2007
I agree with you MikeB. Maybe we should ship them all back to Mexico!

“Hardcore Libertarian”

Since: Dec 06

Madison, IN

#15 Feb 15, 2007
MikeB wrote:
Do you think this law is because of that? I like the way you think!
nerf

Kalamazoo, MI

#17 Feb 15, 2007
Angel Girl wrote:
This is great!!!! My neice was thrown out the back of a pickup because of the idiot driver acting up and "playing" and driving crazy. Needless to say she ended up with aonly a few broken bones and some bruises and the moron got a couple years jail time for his carelessness.
You're niece is also responsible for her injuries. She made the dumb decision to ride in the back of a pickup truck and should take responsibility for her actions.
SmokeFREEin Carmel

Jeffersonville, IN

#18 Feb 15, 2007
MikeB wrote:
LMAO!
Jimmy

Chicago, IL

#19 Feb 15, 2007
The bill is sponsored by Rep. Peggy Welch, a Bloomington Democrat, who clearly feels that immigration and the war on terror are irrelevant.

Yes, Peggy, you can make a difference, but apparently you don't know how.

Is this really your priority?
Free Market

Noblesville, IN

#20 Feb 15, 2007
Local Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Will that mean we can bump draft to get around people talking on their cell phones?
Yes! And it's legal to run them into the wall!:-)
dave

Cincinnati, OH

#21 Feb 15, 2007
i guess we voted for the wrong people huh, they will outlaw burger king and pizza hut next, remember these are the same people who had to change the time because they couldnt figure out what time it was in other states!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Manchester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Debate: Trayvon Martin - South Whitley, IN (Apr '12) May 8 shawne1975 2
Gina Castle (Nov '14) Mar '15 thats right 6
pets Jan '15 lease your pet 1
anyone know april sampson? (Apr '11) Jan '15 wtfisyourproblem 5
anesha peake Dec '14 raiderman 1
Debate: Obama-Economy - North Manchester, IN (Feb '12) Nov '14 Linnie 7
News Widow's final tribute for cancer victim husband... (Nov '14) Nov '14 Paula Pemble 1
More from around the web

North Manchester People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]