Northgate looks for business

Northgate looks for business

There are 6 comments on the Kansas City Star story from Nov 7, 2006, titled Northgate looks for business. In it, Kansas City Star reports that:

Last month, the developer of the Northgate Village redevelopment project in North Kansas City celebrated the completion of several new homes with an open house.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Kansas City Star.

bailey

Kansas City, MO

#1 Dec 15, 2006
Why is an organic foods store wanted if a grocery store cant build there? There is a health store next door (almost) to save-a-lot and save-a-lot is the reason why a grocery store cant build there.
Some people would love to have a "real" grocery store in their neighborhood. No grocery store in NKC is why my grandmother didnt want to live in NKC. Save-a-lot has its purpose, but it is not a "real" grocery store by any means.
MIchael

Kansas City, MO

#2 Jan 29, 2007
A Hen House or Price Chopper would not compete with save-a-lot. Save a lot caters to a different demographic than those moving into the new Northgate development and we all have to travel to other areas to purchase groceries. The city is missing out on sales tax revenue. Save-A-Lot has off brand stuff that is not carried by more upscale groceries. You can't find anything healthy, low fat, low cal or name brand.
bailey wrote:
Why is an organic foods store wanted if a grocery store cant build there? There is a health store next door (almost) to save-a-lot and save-a-lot is the reason why a grocery store cant build there.
Some people would love to have a "real" grocery store in their neighborhood. No grocery store in NKC is why my grandmother didnt want to live in NKC. Save-a-lot has its purpose, but it is not a "real" grocery store by any means.
NKCGuy

AOL

#3 Aug 11, 2007
The current "health store" is a joke. Save-a-lot would be great for the demographic that uses it -- but there's more than that 1 demographic in NKC. If you want to bring a higher residential group to NKC -- you need to be able to provide resources closer by that are desired.
lovenorthtown

Thiensville, WI

#4 Aug 12, 2007
I don't see why a nice Price Chopper or HyVee can't be built in NKC. Seems those folks are just as deserving as the rest of us who have easy access to full service grocery stores. That reason alone has always stopped me from moving to Northtown and I love it there! Save-a-lot is one step up from an Aldi store. Just go to one of those if you like to be pushed and shoved around! I have no complaints about Save-a-lot food items, though. The meat is good.
Dwayne

Lees Summit, MO

#5 Sep 12, 2007
A grocery store is one thing North Kansas City is missing that would make the small-town and urban environment complete. I used to live in a rural, historic town of about 10,000 people and loved being able to walk a couple blocks to the grocery store and practically everything else. Hen House would be great. Hopefully whatever gets built, if it does, will be centrally located and have pedestrians in mind. A Northgate Village location might be a wee bit too far northwest, but we'll see what happens. If the store is too far flung from most residents, it is a lost opportunity. Maybe NKC could support 2 grocery stores. Hen House or Sun Fresh as well as something like Apple Market or Thriftway. I doubt they'll build a Price Chopper since there is a very nice one at N Oak and Vivion. Also, the upscale Cosentino's Downtown Market (like the Brookside Market) should be opening in about another year.
Dwayne

Lees Summit, MO

#6 Sep 12, 2007
The Cosentino's market will be in downtown KCMO, by the way, at 12th and Main.

Also, as for organic foods, Green Acres in the new Briarcliff Village shopping center is already open.

If NKC could support 2 grocery stores, the Hen House or Sun Fresh could go in on Burlington with Northgate Village and the Apple Market or Thriftway could go in on Armour, west of I-35 of course, so it would be pedestrian accessible.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Kansas City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Brothers Word MC (Sep '11) 2 hr haha 117
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 3 hr Another Black kil... 20,204
Review: Relax Smoke Shop (May '15) Tue kim 3
News Woman: ' - Raytown Romeo' conned me out of $9K ... (Apr '14) Mon Dating2 225
Stolen cellphone at wendys Mon Tania 1
Swingers (Jul '09) Apr 30 Dancer173 35
News Maxim Crane Works fined $14,000 for violations ... (Sep '08) Apr 28 IUOE 20
More from around the web

Personal Finance

North Kansas City Mortgages