Tomas Young, Dying Iraq War Veteran, ...

Tomas Young, Dying Iraq War Veteran, Pens 'Last Letter' To Bush, Cheney On War's 10th Anniversary

There are 23 comments on the www.huffingtonpost.com story from Mar 20, 2013, titled Tomas Young, Dying Iraq War Veteran, Pens 'Last Letter' To Bush, Cheney On War's 10th Anniversary. In it, www.huffingtonpost.com reports that:

Days after the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, Tomas Young, then a 22-year-old from Kansas City, Mo., made a decision repeated by many other Americans around the country: He was going to enlist in the military in hopes of getting even with the enemies who had helped coordinate the deaths of nearly 3,000 men, women and children.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.huffingtonpost.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jay

Singapore, Singapore

#21 Mar 30, 2013
I read in a BBC article that he signed up so he could avenge 911 in Afghanistan.

I'm sorry but a soldier does not sign on with the forces and chooses which theatres in which to operate. The nature of soldiering is a dangerous one and you go where you are needed in order to serve your country not yourself.

As a soldier, one does not cherry pick battles or philosophize about the morality of war. A soldier signs up to fight, to meet one's enemy toe to toe and hope he kills the other sucker before he gets killed. A soldier picks up his weapon fully aware that war sucks, war is dirty, but not wage it would have even worse consequences.

Now we can debate forever about Bush and Cheney and I'm not saying they are right or wrong, but I speak from the viewpoint of a member of the military and say that Young shouldn't have signed up in the first place. Being a soldier has carries phenomenal risks and when you sign up, you have to be able to accept them if the dice rolls against you.

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#22 Apr 1, 2013
Bluebonnets-Thistle wrote:
<quoted text>
There was no lie, the action was approved by congress including most democrats, including hillary.
Why was it ok for nobama to bomb Libya without congress approval??
You only have one oar in the water, don't you?
You cannot avoid lying, can you?

Congress did not approve Bush's adventurist sneak attack in Iraq.
Congress passed a resolution of support for military action in Iraq, to demonstrate to Saddam that the nation was united in opposition to him; and We united, opposed his efforts to avoud inspection of his military facilities, looking for the phony "weapons of mass destruction" which we later found out were fabrications that Bush lied about.

. Bush invaded on his own, and took both Iraq and the US Congress by surprise.

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#23 Apr 1, 2013
Jay wrote:
I read in a BBC article that he signed up so he could avenge 911 in Afghanistan.
I'm sorry but a soldier does not sign on with the forces and chooses which theatres in which to operate. The nature of soldiering is a dangerous one and you go where you are needed in order to serve your country not yourself.
As a soldier, one does not cherry pick battles or philosophize about the morality of war. A soldier signs up to fight, to meet one's enemy toe to toe and hope he kills the other sucker before he gets killed. A soldier picks up his weapon fully aware that war sucks, war is dirty, but not wage it would have even worse consequences.
Now we can debate forever about Bush and Cheney and I'm not saying they are right or wrong, but I speak from the viewpoint of a member of the military and say that Young shouldn't have signed up in the first place. Being a soldier has carries phenomenal risks and when you sign up, you have to be able to accept them if the dice rolls against you.
Mr Young is not an active duty soldier; Your explanation is based on your own error and does not apply. He opposes the illegal and immoral acts of his former cammander of chief as a citizen, Tomas Young is a hero squared.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Kansas City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Swingers (Jul '09) 3 hr Bonnie November C... 26
Predators At Your Door 19 hr yankeedudell 8
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Mon Oh well 20,085
News Woman: ' - Raytown Romeo' conned me out of $9K ... (Apr '14) Jul 30 nottheone 105
In KC for 3 days Jul 27 Flying through 1
Messiah Yeshua needs to be revealed to His Jewi... (Jun '14) Jul 27 Rebel Fighter 3
yes Jul 27 Rebel Fighter 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

North Kansas City Mortgages