Man convicted in crash that killed woman, her unborn child is r...

Full story: Akron Beacon Journal

Dennis Stark remembers March 20 as the night his life stopped. It was on that evening a decade ago that he found two simple, but arresting messages that had been left on his answering machine: Please call City ...

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of76
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
TSW AKRON OHIO

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2008

THIS IS A VERY SAD STORY TO READ BUT ALSO A BEAUTIFUL ONE . THESE PEOPLE WHO FORGIVE LIKE THIS IS SO BLESS TO HAVE THAT KIND OF LOVE AND FORGIVENESS IN THEIR HEARTS. WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES SOMETIME IN OUR LIVES, YES THIS WAS A BIG ONE AND A PAINFUL ONE . TRY TO PUT YOURSELF IN BOTH SIDES OF THE STORY.IVE BEEN THERE AND ITS NICE TO SEE FORGIVENESS LIKE THIS. GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU INVOLVED.
A class act sometimes

Silver Spring, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2008

Judged:

TWILA wrote:
EVEN THOUGH THIS IS VERY SAD STORY, ITS, A BEAUTIFUL ONE OF FORGIVENESS. WHAT LOVE THOSE PEOPLE MUST HAVE IN THEIR HEARTS TO BE ABLE TO FORGIVE LIKE THAT. THIS STORY REALLY LIFTED MY HEART THIS MORNING. I WISH WE HAD MORE LOVE AND FORGIVENESS IN THIS WORLD. GOD BLESS YOU ALL.
Yes, the story was very sad and uplifting at the same time. Jesus forgives us for our sins as we should forgive one another. R.I.P G.A.F

GOD BLESS YOU TOO.

“Happy to be here”

Since: Dec 06

NW Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2008

Judged:

patrick7 wrote:
Drinking and driving kills. There should be a law that no one who drinks, can drive at all after drinking no matter how small the amount. Lowering the level to .02 sounds like a good idea to me that has been proposed by Ohio legislature. This is so sad for this family. May God bless and keep them. May the murderer burn in hell for what he did !!!!
ok lets pass that law. and include all prescription drugs, over-the counter drugs such as cold medicine and sinus tablets etc. many is the time I took a sinus tablet and was a hell of a lot woozier than with a couple beers
There is a law. You can be convicted for being under the influence of anything. In fact you can be arrested if you are under the alcohol limit. The limit is just a guidline.
Big Heart

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2008

It takes a big heart for you all to forgive this man for destroying your life. I applaud you. May God continue to bless each of you.
patrick7

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2008

you can pound me all you wish for admitting the truth - that there have been many times I drove home witha few beers. there have been many a time I called a cab when i had more than a few. did you ever notice the cars in the parking lots of bars? it happens. there is a difference between a few beers and drunk
kathy

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2008

God bless this family. I really give them a lot of credit for even wanting to forgive him. I believe this man didnt intend to kill anyone that night, but im sure his intentions were to go out and drink. If this was my wife and child there would be no apologies in the world that I would accept. GOD BLESS THE BOTH OF YOU, AND STAY STRONG.
Shame

Youngstown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2008

Judged:

Shame on everyone who posted angry comments about tougher laws, etc. This article is about healing and forgiveness, something that is sorely lacking in our criminal justice system.

“killers caught”

Since: Dec 07

akron

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2008

I am Ronald lybrooks cuz and would like to say That we are glad u forgive my cuz and he does wish he could turn the tables HE had done 10 years in prison which some people think is in long but whenu are in a 8 by 10 cell and thinking about what you have done and how u are going to change when u get out it is a very long time and Iwould like to say that we really sorry for the Starks family

Since: Nov 07

Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2008

I think many times people don't understand what it means to "forgive."

It's the other person saying, "I CHOOSE to forgive you for ME. So that I can get on with my life and not let hatred and bitterness hold me captive."

It DOESN'T absolve the guilty party of their responsibility for their actions. They still need held responsible with consequences, just like Mr. Stark said.

“LeBron = Born-again Tribe Fan!”

Since: May 07

Tallmadge, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2008

Judged:

10 years in prison isn't long enough? Huh?

People are not going to stop drinking. Almost every restaurant serves drinks. The average person, after 2 beers, can have a BAC of 0.08. Very thin folks can be at 0.08 after one beer.

Seems to me that the only possible proactive measure to reduce this problem is to have the alcohol detection gizmos installed in all vehicles. The "new seat belts of the 21st century".

It would be a pain. Especially because the vast majority don't drink and drive. But it would cut that 40,000 traffic-deaths-by-alcohol down significantly.

“Ain't she cute?”

Since: Jan 08

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2008

Judged:

patrick7 - Maybe you should post on this thread every time you decide to go out drinking - so that we can save ourselves?
fight back

Owings, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2008

I lost my grandmother to a drunk driver in 1966 (he never saw one day of jail time), before people cared about getting this kind of behavior off the roadways. I believe it is no different than pulling the trigger of a gun or stabbing with a knife. Murder is murder, you've made the choice to drink then drive, you should be in there for life.
Will

Loudonville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2008

Big Heart wrote:
It takes a big heart for you all to forgive this man for destroying your life. I applaud you. May God continue to bless each of you.
I couldn't have said it better. I certainly know I couldn't do it.
Will

Salem, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2008

Very sad story. Driving drunk is stupid just like talking on the cell phone. Treating route 8 like a nascar track. The guy was going 70 mph driving drunk had nothing todo with it. Drunk driving cause slow reaction time and Passing out and swirving. It doesn't make you go 70 mph. The guy should have been charged with something even more..
average american

Lakewood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2008

What kind, genuine and good people the Stark family is. I doubt if I could have been as forgiving as they are towards this man. It sounds like they have taken unspeakable tragedy and gone on with their lives. They are a great example of a wonderful Christian family.
If this Ronald Lybrook is truly sorry-he should never drink another drop of alcohol the rest of his life. If anyone who knows him or is related to him sees him drinking, PLEASE-make him get help or at least call the cops on him. If you don't your just as guilty as him if he ever harms another person in his life.
average american

Lakewood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2008

Judged:

patrick7 wrote:
When 26-year-old Ronald Lybrook pulled his 1988 Lincoln Mark VII left of center to pass slower northbound cars on Kelly Avenue that day, his blood-alcohol level was 0.16 percent — double the driving limit set by Ohio law.
And he was traveling at an estimated rate of more than 70 mph.
I am not going to defend driving while drinking BUT, as someone who has driven home after a few beers (and more than a few times) it isnt just the drinks - its the idiotic driving behaviour. look at this guy, doing 70 in the city passing cars?? hell that could cause an accident if he was sober. Does the drinking make a person more inclinded to drive recklessly? doesnt me - makes the adrenaline pound and I drive more safely.
Sir, drinking a "few drinks" and driving is very dangerous, it only takes that one time. Even ifyou don't drive recklessly when you've been drinking, your response time slows, your judgement is impaired. Would you like your surgeon to be operating on you after "few drinks" or the airline pilot flying the plane your on to have a few drinks. Driving an automobile is very dangerous-you should drink at home or call a cab.
patrick7

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2008

Judged:

There is a law. You can be convicted for being under the influence of anything. In fact you can be arrested if you are under the alcohol limit. The limit is just a guidline.

the limit...08 today...is more than a guideline. It establishes a prima facia case of impaired ability which means it has met the statutory level of proof. In order to convict someone whose blood alcohol level is lower, the prosecution has the burden of proof to prove the person's ability was impaired. That would require evidence of what their ability was at the time. Difficult to prove.
patrick7

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2008

Sir, drinking a "few drinks" and driving is very dangerous, it only takes that one time. Even ifyou don't drive recklessly when you've been drinking, your response time slows, your judgement is impaired. Would you like your surgeon to be operating on you after "few drinks" or the airline pilot flying the plane your on to have a few drinks. Driving an automobile is very dangerous-you should drink at home or call a cab.

I dont disagree with what you say. The question becomes one of degree - how much is my ability impaired with 2 drinks? The fact of the matter is that it differs from one person to the next. I know that by posting these things I make myself a target but I dont care. Look around the restaurant next time you are having dinner and notice all of the couples sharing a bottle of wine. Their car is in the lot. There is a difference between 2 drinks and drunk - maybe not in your world but there is in mine. As I said earlier, many is the time I called a cab. I know the difference. I know many dont agree but I dont really care.
patrick7

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2008

Judged:

I think I made a post that caused this thread to vere off - is that hijacking? I didnt mean to so I will stop and let it get back to the story. The man getting out of prison chose to write a letter expressing his deep regret for what he had and should be applauded for that. The family choosing to accept the apology deserves even louder applause. Forgiving..true forgiving...is liberating when forgiveness is truly given. Nice people
Just Me Over Here

Erie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2008

Judged:

fight back wrote:
I lost my grandmother to a drunk driver in 1966 (he never saw one day of jail time), before people cared about getting this kind of behavior off the roadways. I believe it is no different than pulling the trigger of a gun or stabbing with a knife. Murder is murder, you've made the choice to drink then drive, you should be in there for life.
I totally agree, lost my Grandma to a drunk driver who just happened to be, my Grandpa's mistress.

My Grandma burned alive in her vehicle because she couldn't get out of the seatbelt and that miserable excuse of a woman, never served a day!

Matter of fact, she drank herself to death, GO FIGURE!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of76
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent North-Georgetown Discussions

Search the North-Georgetown Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 2 hr Old Guy 25,326
druggy dougy 5 hr burgladites 1
Rob Berger letting felon help him coach team 10 hr baseball mom 1
OH Who do you support for Secretary of State in Oh... (Oct '10) Apr 15 worm 168
OH Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in O... (Oct '10) Apr 15 squid 118
OH Who do you support for Treasurer in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Apr 14 Repub 187
Lecture on Fairmount Children's Home stirs vari... (May '10) Apr 11 Clarissa Kladek 6
•••
•••
•••
•••

North-Georgetown Jobs

•••
•••
•••

North-Georgetown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance