Scottsville Neighbors Angry Over Scho...

Scottsville Neighbors Angry Over School Consolidation Plan - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News,...

There are 15 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Jul 26, 2012, titled Scottsville Neighbors Angry Over School Consolidation Plan - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News,.... In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

A resurrected plan to consolidate schools in southern Albemarle County has neighbors in Scottsville riled up.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

citizen

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Jul 26, 2012
The SSDI majority that already picks the Charlottesville city council is growing fast and will soon be electing the Albemarle Board as well. The demographics of the socialist paradise is against small rural communities that try to be self supporting.
simple sam

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Jul 27, 2012
Keep our small schools it is everything to our small comunity ! north garden is a nice way of life keep it small
Save money by cuting a salary in local goverment !
We have grown up with these folks and it is inportant to us to stay together on this ..
KEEP THE SMALL ELEMENTRY SCHOOL !!!!!!!!!!
god fearer

Charlottesville, VA

#3 Jul 27, 2012
Ahhhh ... and who will be paying for small schools, redundant schools, expensive schools, school repairs and updating, etc ...

Why haven't Albemarle TEA Party/Republicans DEMANDED closing as many schools as possible, not just the southern Albemarle Schools?
Growth

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Jul 27, 2012
simple sam wrote:
Keep our small schools it is everything to our small comunity ! north garden is a nice way of life keep it small
Save money by cuting a salary in local goverment !
We have grown up with these folks and it is inportant to us to stay together on this ..
KEEP THE SMALL ELEMENTRY SCHOOL !!!!!!!!!!
Cuting salaries if that happens it will be to the ones that make 20-25,000 a year or the bottom not the top with 150,000 plus and how many could you save at 20-25,000 a year BY DOING THIS? Buying parkland, building Libraries we don't need there are ways to keep these schools open.
god fearer

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Jul 27, 2012
simple sam wrote:
Keep our small schools it is everything to our small comunity ! north garden is a nice way of life keep it small
Save money by cuting a salary in local goverment !
We have grown up with these folks and it is inportant to us to stay together on this ..
KEEP THE SMALL ELEMENTRY SCHOOL !!!!!!!!!!
This comment is idiotic. SCHOOL EMPLOYEES ARE LOCAL GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES. AS ARE police, fire, and other employees.

This comment is like TEA Party/Republican idiots demanding 'Keep the government out of my Medicare': MEDICARE IS a government-run program.

Stop being idiots. Get real. If you want your perks and preferences - like small local schools in your neighborhood - make a REAL plan to pay for your perks and preferences. ALL OF US are sick and tired of Republicans avoiding hard choices and detailed plans!

If you choice and plan is to keep your perks and preferences by reducing salaries of government employees, then FIGURE OUT what the median, or base, salary ought to be, and STATE THOSE FACTS. One city has returned all City salaries to 'minimum wage', for example.

But, idiot TEA Party/Republicans just like to make idiot statements without facts or details.
Chelsea

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Jul 27, 2012
If this school is a money pit they are going to receive exceptionally limited funding. All assets will be invested into operating expenses; not recreational programs, staff salaries, and educational development. Though an uncomfortable move; I believe it's wise to also take into consideration the effects of not creating a favorable budget, and how extreme budget cuts will jeopardize the schools overall quality of life for both it's staff and children.

However; not to contradict myself. This would all depend on the capacity of the other school. Will the quality of this adopting school suffer? What are the changes that these migrating children will have to face as far as class structure, a difference in ethnic diversity, and possibly the demands of different learning goals? All interesting questions; worth close evaluation.
Intelligence

Crozet, VA

#7 Jul 27, 2012
god fearer wrote:
<quoted text>
This comment is idiotic. SCHOOL EMPLOYEES ARE LOCAL GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES. AS ARE police, fire, and other employees.
This comment is like TEA Party/Republican idiots demanding 'Keep the government out of my Medicare': MEDICARE IS a government-run program.
Stop being idiots. Get real. If you want your perks and preferences - like small local schools in your neighborhood - make a REAL plan to pay for your perks and preferences. ALL OF US are sick and tired of Republicans avoiding hard choices and detailed plans!
If you choice and plan is to keep your perks and preferences by reducing salaries of government employees, then FIGURE OUT what the median, or base, salary ought to be, and STATE THOSE FACTS. One city has returned all City salaries to 'minimum wage', for example.
But, idiot TEA Party/Republicans just like to make idiot statements without facts or details.
I hate to break it to ya "GENIUS" but their supervisor is, wait for it, a DEMOCRAT! A lot of the board are, wait for it, DEMOCRATS! So this would mean the Democrats don't want to make decisions by your logic and just make idiot statements without facts or details? How about we keep the childish name calling on the play ground where you belong and let the adults, who don't care about party affiliation or stupid labels, figure out how to keep things the way the people who live there want it. K pumpkin?
Southern County Man

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Jul 27, 2012
Consolidation makes economic sense but ignores the 'human factor'. Red Hill, Scottsville and Yancey are all integral parts of those communities. It would not only be devastating for one of these communities to lose their school but create untold hardships on the children and parents who now have to travel many miles to another school.
Why was Yancey left to deteriorate to a point of $6 million in 'needed' repairs? What could cost that much? Are the children in physical danger? Or, is it federal/state mandates requiring unnecessary modifications? A school need not be a palace but clean, comfortable and safe.
I feel there is room in the school budget for cuts (though some of you may not agree with what I think should be cut)it still would not be enough to sustain a quality education system. Thus if we want what we want we, as the taxpayers, must be willing to put our money where our mouth is. A few more cents on your County tax bill could be the solution.
Va Citizen

Lexington, VA

#9 Jul 27, 2012
Raising taxes is not the answer. Our government, Local,State,and Federal need to learn to live on a budget like the ordinary person has to live. They all need to cut the waste and learn to live within their means. When your house needs repairs, You have it repaired. The government needs to do the same thing;live within your means like the ordinary taxpayer has to do.
Dumler

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Jul 27, 2012
He's a cute little boy playing politician. He even has his sleeves rolled up - right out of the Chapter 1 of the politicians handbook!

I'll hand it to him though, he is getting out there and facing his constituents. Good job!
Frank

Martinsville, VA

#11 Jul 27, 2012
god fearer wrote:
<quoted text>
This comment is idiotic. SCHOOL EMPLOYEES ARE LOCAL GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES. AS ARE police, fire, and other employees.
This comment is like TEA Party/Republican idiots demanding 'Keep the government out of my Medicare': MEDICARE IS a government-run program.
Stop being idiots. Get real. If you want your perks and preferences - like small local schools in your neighborhood - make a REAL plan to pay for your perks and preferences. ALL OF US are sick and tired of Republicans avoiding hard choices and detailed plans!
If you choice and plan is to keep your perks and preferences by reducing salaries of government employees, then FIGURE OUT what the median, or base, salary ought to be, and STATE THOSE FACTS. One city has returned all City salaries to 'minimum wage', for example.
But, idiot TEA Party/Republicans just like to make idiot statements without facts or details.
I know where some of the money can come from, stop taking my tax money to pay for abortions that I am against and put toward the schools which I support. If someone wants an abortion let them pay for it themselves.
cut taxes

Stafford, VA

#12 Jul 27, 2012
We have far more schools and teachers than are needed. Close down excess schools, fire every teacher that cannot teach well enough to get all their student to pass the state test, and you improve education while cutting taxes.
bumpy

Charlottesville, VA

#13 Jul 27, 2012
Intelligence wrote:
<quoted text>
I hate to break it to ya "GENIUS" but their supervisor is, wait for it, a DEMOCRAT! A lot of the board are, wait for it, DEMOCRATS! So this would mean the Democrats don't want to make decisions by your logic and just make idiot statements without facts or details? How about we keep the childish name calling on the play ground where you belong and let the adults, who don't care about party affiliation or stupid labels, figure out how to keep things the way the people who live there want it. K pumpkin?
Before you start calling others names, I believe the comment referred to the poster being a likely tea-partier who failed to present facts or details, not the school board. And do try to remember that the school board has no control over the taxes, that belongs to the BOS, some of whom are tea partiers and some of whom are not.
starred

Charlottesville, VA

#14 Jul 27, 2012
Southern County Man wrote:
Consolidation makes economic sense but ignores the 'human factor'. Red Hill, Scottsville and Yancey are all integral parts of those communities. It would not only be devastating for one of these communities to lose their school but create untold hardships on the children and parents who now have to travel many miles to another school.
Why was Yancey left to deteriorate to a point of $6 million in 'needed' repairs? What could cost that much? Are the children in physical danger? Or, is it federal/state mandates requiring unnecessary modifications? A school need not be a palace but clean, comfortable and safe.
I feel there is room in the school budget for cuts (though some of you may not agree with what I think should be cut)it still would not be enough to sustain a quality education system. Thus if we want what we want we, as the taxpayers, must be willing to put our money where our mouth is. A few more cents on your County tax bill could be the solution.
Southern Man I am not disagreeing with what you said. It makes economic sense to close the small schools, but it is bad for the community.
But I think this issue, and your comments demonstrates why governments ought NOT to behave like a business. A government must answer to the people in the county and make decisions based on needs that do no not always have an economic basis. I will challenge you on the school repairs. Whether or not a school is "safe" is totally irrelevant to the necessity of repairs. The building and property belong to the county, and the school board and BOS have an obligation to maintain the same. If student safety is in question (which I don't think is the case), the school should be closed. Nor do I think the students in the southern portion of the county should be forced to go to a school that is in need of basic repair when the other schools are properly maintained.
Cmon Man

Washington, DC

#15 Jul 27, 2012
god fearer wrote:
<quoted text>
This comment is idiotic. SCHOOL EMPLOYEES ARE LOCAL GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES. AS ARE police, fire, and other employees.
This comment is like TEA Party/Republican idiots demanding 'Keep the government out of my Medicare': MEDICARE IS a government-run program.
Stop being idiots. Get real. If you want your perks and preferences - like small local schools in your neighborhood - make a REAL plan to pay for your perks and preferences. ALL OF US are sick and tired of Republicans avoiding hard choices and detailed plans!
If you choice and plan is to keep your perks and preferences by reducing salaries of government employees, then FIGURE OUT what the median, or base, salary ought to be, and STATE THOSE FACTS. One city has returned all City salaries to 'minimum wage', for example.
But, idiot TEA Party/Republicans just like to make idiot statements without facts or details.
Mental Midget speaks again. Keep posting GF, you are a laugh riot. You calling anyone an idiot makes the mentally handicapped feel empowered!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Garden Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
White Castle coming to Charlottesville? Jun 20 Uva girl 2
Wes Bellamy - The repeatedly arrested Vice Mayo... Jun 19 NotWesBellamy 1
Town of fishersville Jun 19 Guest 1
Fletcher Askew dermatologist, pervert (May '14) Jun 18 Steve 6
News Panhandling at Stop Lights Raises Enforcement Q... (May '13) Jun 16 DEVGOD 136
Trump wants you to watch and inform on your nei... Jun 16 Sad Day for US 1
Bamboo in Charlottesville? Jun 15 Jungle Boy 2

North Garden Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

North Garden Mortgages