SWCS board discusses energy-saving bo...

SWCS board discusses energy-saving bond plan

There are 136 comments on the ThisWeek Community Newspapers story from Sep 29, 2010, titled SWCS board discusses energy-saving bond plan. In it, ThisWeek Community Newspapers reports that:

The South-Western City Schools board is expected next month to consider a $6.6-million energy-savings project to be funded through bonds.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ThisWeek Community Newspapers.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Jimbob

Sandviken, Sweden

#1 Sep 29, 2010
This is off the topic" VOTE NO" on issue # 8,not to be mean ,but we have to much property taxes,find another way to fund the libraries,let renters help pay some ,the little bit their landlord raises there rent does not match what property owners pay!we pay enough thanks to SWCS!!!!!
Good job

Columbus, OH

#2 Sep 29, 2010
Investments in the children of this district are worth every penny, but they are not just made with money. Volunteer at your local school. The children of this district need you!
Bobjim

Groveport, OH

#3 Sep 29, 2010
Vote yes. It's way past time for this relatively small and long overdue increase for this worthwhile community need.
Hail Mary Hope

Columbus, OH

#4 Sep 29, 2010
Jimbob wrote:
This is off the topic" VOTE NO" on issue # 8,not to be mean ,but we have to much property taxes,find another way to fund the libraries,let renters help pay some ,the little bit their landlord raises there rent does not match what property owners pay!we pay enough thanks to SWCS!!!!!
I know you are not trying to be mean.

The library's back is against the wall, a literature piece will be coming your way soon. After reading it if you still feel the same way, that is your right, but at least you will understand why a levy request was the only hope.

Take care.
Vuvuzela Jabulani

Columbus, OH

#5 Sep 30, 2010
Tests, which give schools excellent ratings, are nothing more than a test to show the socioeconomic standing of most of the students in a school.

Switch the teachers from an "excellent" school and a "struggling" school. The test results will still be the same.
Vuvuzela Jabulani

Columbus, OH

#6 Sep 30, 2010
If the library levy fails and the Grove City folks vote against it again (Grove City has voted no nine straight times, then close the Grove City library.
Time is up

Groveport, OH

#7 Sep 30, 2010
Any comments about the energy-saving plan? I didn't think so. Save your library comments for other posts.
Go Green

Columbus, OH

#8 Sep 30, 2010
The more green initiatives the district takes and energy efficient initiatives they move to the more money for books and students - always makes sense to look at opportunities to save on energy costs and protect the environment.

As far as the library levy – please visit the Franklin County Auditor’s website – there is a calculated link and for the most part the cost is less than $5.00 per month.
Payback

Groveport, OH

#9 Sep 30, 2010
So it says this will not impact the taxpayer since the payback is routed from the anticipated energy savings. Sounds good. But, what if the savings estimate if off, or just doesn't materialize to the projected level for whatever reason. Where does the bond payback come from then? Could that potentially impact the budget downstream and hasten a new levy request? They say if something looks too good to be true, it probably isn't. This sounds like a can't lose free money deal?
Facts

Columbus, OH

#10 Oct 1, 2010
I did some checking. In the past, the savings swcs projected on similar projects came in at or above projections. In other words, this looks like a great plan for two reasons:

1. It will save swcs money.
2. The district will be more energy efficient.

My question: Why is one of the boe members against saving money and being energy efficient?
Bob

Columbus, OH

#11 Oct 1, 2010
Every ten years things are said to be more energy efficient. The energy savings are a farce in the real world. A computer 6 years ago supposedly used more electricity than todays new PC's except instead of one core you now have up to 6 and they went from 200 watts to run to now 650 watts using more energy today. The same is true on other "Energy Saving" upgrades of today. We replaced all of our lighting fixtures at work and the energy use increased! Green economy = SCAM. Tax breaks were the incentive for the upgrades. The savings never materialized. I think in this Green Agenda government that savings figures are inflated.
Bob

Columbus, OH

#12 Oct 1, 2010
Close the Libraries, Anything there can be found on Google!
Not true

Columbus, OH

#13 Oct 1, 2010
Bob wrote:
Close the Libraries, Anything there can be found on Google!
If you are correct, please give me the Google location of a "free" James Patterson book.
Payback

Groveport, OH

#14 Oct 2, 2010
Facts wrote:
I did some checking. In the past, the savings swcs projected on similar projects came in at or above projections. In other words, this looks like a great plan for two reasons:
1. It will save swcs money.
2. The district will be more energy efficient.
My question: Why is one of the boe members against saving money and being energy efficient?
Guess I have no problem with a board member questioning something. Last thing we need at this point is the old rubber stamping routine. And, I don't think there was any real vote yet, just discussion, and that's good. As for the project claims, may be good. But I've validated many engineer proposed projects over my day and fought many pressures from high above associated with them. Too often the assumptions and claims are absolutely ridiculous, but, we ended up doing them anyway and then nobody ever went back and even substantiated the original bogus claims. Not a big believer in a lot of this energy stuff. Lot of people making some big money off it and that's what's generating most of the push. I'd love to see the project assumptions and calculations presented in the paper for the citizens to see. Probably a good project, hope it is, but I'd be interested in seeing the savings section and how that will be calculated in the bond payback section. just insure the taxpayers don't end up with some operating underage due to any potential overstatements.
Vote No

Columbus, OH

#15 Oct 2, 2010
Not true wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are correct, please give me the Google location of a "free" James Patterson book.
You must be the only person in this district who reads James fkg Patterson books. Why don't you start buying them so you can have your own personal J. Patterson library at home? Libraries are dinosaurs, kaput, extinct. Internet technology supplanted them. Google search your information from home.
Vote No to more taxes. Vote no to the library tax.
Vote No

Columbus, OH

#16 Oct 2, 2010
Go Green wrote:
The more green initiatives the district takes and energy efficient initiatives they move to the more money for books and students - always makes sense to look at opportunities to save on energy costs and protect the environment.
As far as the library levy – please visit the Franklin County Auditor’s website – there is a calculated link and for the most part the cost is less than $5.00 per month.
The district can also reduce its expenditures by negotiating salary and benefits cuts in the union contract talks. It's time for teachers and administrators to start sharing the financial sacrifice with the rest of us who pay property taxes in this district. Screw theirdamn Masters degree. They can shove it up theirass. Share the load, you entitled selfishpompousasses. Hey Wise, is thekissass school board giving you another bonus this year?
Say what

Groveport, OH

#17 Oct 2, 2010
Vote No wrote:
<quoted text>You must be the only person in this district who reads James fkg Patterson books. Why don't you start buying them so you can have your own personal J. Patterson library at home? Libraries are dinosaurs, kaput, extinct. Internet technology supplanted them. Google search your information from home.
No, hardly dinosaurs. You obviously haven't noticed the heavy traffic of every age that utilizes the library day in and day out all year long.
Alfred E Newman

Columbus, OH

#18 Oct 2, 2010
Love the library! Jo Ellen is stuck on opposite day...she has obviously been told to oppose anything the other 4 support.
Differing Views

Groveport, OH

#19 Oct 2, 2010
Alfred E Newman wrote:
Love the library! Jo Ellen is stuck on opposite day...she has obviously been told to oppose anything the other 4 support.
Yes, seems that way. But, as with City Council, you have a number of members on the School Board for a reason, or you might just as well have just one member on each. Dissension and discussion serve a purpose that usually doesn't hinder the correct result. We've seen the alternative mita bird approach on both in the past and that's why we are where we are now.
I disagree

Columbus, OH

#20 Oct 2, 2010
Vote No wrote:
<quoted text>You must be the only person in this district who reads James fkg Patterson books. Why don't you start buying them so you can have your own personal J. Patterson library at home? Libraries are dinosaurs, kaput, extinct. Internet technology supplanted them. Google search your information from home.
James Patterson has a lot of customers, so my family is not the only one reading him.

Our 2 libraries have 50,000 visitors per month. I bet you wish, and as I do, that we had a business with 50,000 customers per month.

So how do you define dinosaurs in lieu of the above facts? Yes facts, drive over to the library any operating day and you are lucky to find a parking space in their lot.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Franklin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
gay Skype (Jun '15) Jul 29 Nickmiller9669 13
xanax (Oct '12) Jul '16 Yeah 2
Crossdresser/sissy (Oct '15) Jul '16 Wil 8
Ct state police shorting range Jun '16 banger 2
Oil Spill on Emilys Lane?? Jun '16 Jon 6
Looking for friend Ronald C. Stevenson (Mar '12) Jun '16 Harley 7
News DHS released nearly 20,000 criminal immigrants ... May '16 spud 4

North Franklin Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance