Larry Wilson: Name of park honors two men named Robinson

THE first reader comment on the the Star-News home page about changing the name of Pasadena's Robinson Park to Jackie Robinson Park was from longtime Northwest activist Gary Moody: "Don't do it. Full Story
LXEGente

Pacoima, CA

#1 Sep 9, 2009
I can imagine Larry Mantle is quite a magnet for party bores. Wilson included.
Cynthia Lake

Los Angeles, CA

#2 Sep 9, 2009
"Robinson Park" seems to cover the need for recognition of BOTH outstanding Muir Graduates. Hopefully there will be a public art component to the park that honors both Jack and Mack.
Folks can visit our John Muir H.S.Alumni Hall of Fame and Museum to learn more about the Robinson's individual contributions to the world. The Robinson's descendants still attend Muir, and other schools in the PUSD. Has the Robinson Family been asked their opinion about the proposed change? Having the key to the city should merit some sort of veto power!
Cynthia Lake
Artist /Educator
John Muir High School c/o 1971

“All the print thats news 2 fit”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#3 Sep 9, 2009
Cynthia Lake wrote:
"Robinson Park" seems to cover the need for recognition of BOTH outstanding Muir Graduates. Hopefully there will be a public art component to the park that honors both Jack and Mack.
Folks can visit our John Muir H.S.Alumni Hall of Fame and Museum to learn more about the Robinson's individual contributions to the world. The Robinson's descendants still attend Muir, and other schools in the PUSD. Has the Robinson Family been asked their opinion about the proposed change? Having the key to the city should merit some sort of veto power!
Cynthia Lake
Artist /Educator
John Muir High School c/o 1971
Well said Cynthia. I agree.
Gary L Moody

Pasadena, CA

#4 Sep 9, 2009
Thanks Larry
Russ

Los Angeles, CA

#5 Sep 9, 2009
"THE first reader comment on the the Star-News home page about changing the name of Pasadena's Robinson Park to Jackie Robinson Park was from longtime Northwest activist Gary Moody: "Don't do it. Don't even consider it. STUPID, STUPID, STUPID." (Unlike most posters who go all-caps in their intensity, Gary has the courtesy and the guts to attach his real name to his opinions.) " -Larry Wilson

Hey genius, readers don't put their full names down in the comments section for a variety of reasons...and I laugh at you considering cowardice as one of them! When the Pasadena Star News begins to pay me to write articles, I will be happy to attach my full name and address. How do you like them apples? And stay away from topics like fires and other natural disasters.
Write about parks and trees...it's what your best at.
Baseball Fan

AOL

#6 Sep 9, 2009
I think it is shameless of Larry Wilson to chastise Jackie Robinson for not choosing to spend his entire life in Pasadena.
Particularly, the way Larry makes the foolish inference that by virtue of Jackie's decision to reside elsewhere, he was therefore NOT "fighting the good fight."

After all, the point of advocating civil rights is to enable everyone the freedom to live the life they choose, including the choice of WHERE to live.
It's condesending of Larry Wilson to presume that HE has the right to tell Jackie Robinson what city he "should" have lived in.

I believe Larry Wilson is actually resentful of the fact that Jackie Robinson was a Republican.

The fact is, Jackie Robinson did fight "the good fight" all of his adult life, no matter where he lived.

It is not necessary for Robinson to have lived in Pasadena, in order to be a good, patriotic, productive American whom stood up to racism.

What's so ironic about Larry's position, is that rather than sending his own child to Pasadena's public schools, he sent her to private schools for her entire education K-12 education, including a private high school in another city.

By his own argument, I guess Larry Wilson just wasn't willing to stay and fight the good fight for quality public education on behalf of his own child.
Baseball Fan

AOL

#7 Sep 9, 2009
Yeah, the same Larry Wilson who scoffs at Jackie Robinson for having the nerve to (gasp !) move away from Pasadena, is the same Larry Wilson who was publicly mocking Station Fire evacuees last week for failing to save their own books as they were evacuating their homes.

Larry can't see anything wrong with the outrageous over-tax, over-spend, and over-regulate policies of the California State Legislature, and he certainly didn't see anything wrong with Reverend Jeremiah Wright's "God Dammmmn America !" "Jews are keeping blacks down !" Sunday sermons.

...but if someone whom is being evacuated from their home due to the Station Fire leaves their home without their books, then, well, Larry thinks you're a real provacateur !
Ha, ha, ha.

Or if you drive an automobile near the Rose Bowl, and you happen to object to the way that the cyclists fail to stop at "stop" signs, or you object to the way the cyclists weave in and out of traffic, or you object to the way that the peloton of cyclists prohibits the flow of automobile traffic by riding their bikes too far out into the traffic lanes, then Larry thinks you're a real jerk for objecting.

And last year, if you challenged President Bush's policies, Larry would have characterized you as a patriotic American exercising his right to free speech as well as defending that inherent right to serve one's own conscience.

...but now, in 2009, if you challenge President Obama's policies, Larry Wilson insists you can't be anything other than an ignorant slobbering wingnut who hates the country.

That's our Larry Wilson...35 years of being incubated within a hothouse of journalism schools, journalism offices, left wing think tanks, and cocktail parties where left-leaning professionals sip wine while whining about how middle-class middle Americans don't drive hybrids, eat arugula, or subscribe to "The Nation" magazine.
Russ

Pasadena, CA

#8 Sep 10, 2009
Baseball Fan wrote:
I think it is shameless of Larry Wilson to chastise Jackie Robinson for not choosing to spend his entire life in Pasadena.
Particularly, the way Larry makes the foolish inference that by virtue of Jackie's decision to reside elsewhere, he was therefore NOT "fighting the good fight."
After all, the point of advocating civil rights is to enable everyone the freedom to live the life they choose, including the choice of WHERE to live.
It's condesending of Larry Wilson to presume that HE has the right to tell Jackie Robinson what city he "should" have lived in.
I believe Larry Wilson is actually resentful of the fact that Jackie Robinson was a Republican.
The fact is, Jackie Robinson did fight "the good fight" all of his adult life, no matter where he lived.
It is not necessary for Robinson to have lived in Pasadena, in order to be a good, patriotic, productive American whom stood up to racism.
What's so ironic about Larry's position, is that rather than sending his own child to Pasadena's public schools, he sent her to private schools for her entire education K-12 education, including a private high school in another city.
By his own argument, I guess Larry Wilson just wasn't willing to stay and fight the good fight for quality public education on behalf of his own child.
Amen to all of this! I toast you Baseball Fan and all that you have posted! Larry Wilson! King of the Passive Aggressives!
GreenLight00

Chongqing, China

#9 Sep 10, 2009
Russ

Pasadena, CA

#10 Sep 10, 2009
'Hi, I'm Larry Wilson and I want no more cars near the Rose Bowl. I am no fan of Jackie Robinson..at least to the point where he should have his own park, and I like trees. I am a genius!'

LOL @ Larry Wilson! King of all passive aggressive nonsense!(Full name of commentator withheld due to cowardice that Larry Wilson will kick this reader's butt on Lake Street) LOL!
Norris Johnson

AOL

#11 Sep 10, 2009
I think the present name " Robinson Park" is accurate, it reflects both Pasadenans; as it should.
To change the name to "Jackie Robinson Park" would again be a slap in the face to Mack.
PASHOFPAL

Fountain Valley, CA

#12 Sep 13, 2009
The city apparently has no problem with honoring either Robinson. Both were honored with large then life statutes of them in the plaza at City Hall; and the Lincoln Ave. Post Office was named after Mack Robinson.

I wondered, before responding, really what the harm would be in naming the park in question after the individual whom we all know, voluntarily and involuntarily, who the Park should have been named orginally after. I grew up in Pasadena, played at that very park as did every member of my family and those residing in Pasadena during that time. We all referred to the Park as Jackie Robinson Park. Maybe it had something to do with the community center located directly across the street.

We all love Mack and value his support in the city of Pasadena; especially for his fight against the city during the "Plunge" episode; then known as Brookside Pool -if you don't know what it was; look it up. It's a wonder that the "Aquatic Center" wasn't named after the individual who really fought to have it desegregated.

Having the profound opportunity to meet with Mack through my brother, Michael Sanford, as a youth, and sitting through an hour long presentation by Edward Robinson in the 6th grade at Cleveland Elementary of his uncle Jackie Robinson, I'm comfortable stating that Mack, and the entrie Robinson Family, would be pleased that the park was being beaconed "Jackie Robinson Park." Doing so takes nothing away from Mack's accomplishments on the field and most importantly, his community work in this great city.

Do we really have to debate or argue over this?

Laurence Todd
President
www.pasadenasportshalloffame.org

Location hidden

#13 Sep 14, 2009
PASHOFPAL wrote:
Do we really have to debate or argue over this?
Laurence Todd
President
Of course we do. It's silly to even ask that question. People here are as passionate about their desire to maintain the park name as is, as you are to assume Mack’s name will live on once erased from the focus of the memorial name. Anyone who has ever studied human nature knows that time in fact heals all wounds and memories fade. Many people have absolutely no idea who Mack Robinson is until they're told the history of Jackie's "not so famous brother." It's foolish to assume that his deeds will live on in memory once the focus is entirely on Jackie. I have no stake in the name change so whatever they decide will not effect me, but taking for granted that Mack’s legacy is as strong as Jackie’s, and will stand the test of time is unfair. It's one thing to have sat with him and talked with him, but 99% of us haven't and all I know of him is what I'm told here. If he's erased from the memorial of the park, then most likely he'll be erased from 99% of the immediate memory of the populace, maybe not in the immediate area of Pasadena but overall, out of sight, out of mind.
PASHOFPAL

New Cuyama, CA

#14 Sep 14, 2009
Peter_Fields:

Your comments that "Many people have absolutely no idea who Mack Robinson is until they're told the history of Jackie's "not so famous brother." or that "If he's erased from the memorial of the park, then most likely he'll be erased from 99% of the immediate memory of the populace" are untrue.

Mack is a legend in his own right and every "True Pasadenian" knows that. By "True Pasadenians" I mean those individuals who families for generations upon generations have resided, worked and attended school in Pasadena. For example, Mario Clark's (Former 49er and NFL Superbowl Champion) family was one the first families (not just a black family) that lived in Pasadena when "Pasadena" was originally founded. Heck, before Chris Holden became a City of Pasadena Council Member, he was known by "True Pasadenians" for helping the bulldogs win a state basketball championship in the 70's. I'm sure every member of their families, and their descendants, knew who Mack Robinson was then; before the statutes, the naming of the post office, etc. You see, everyone from Pasadena knows everyone who lives (ed) in Pasadena. That's what makes Pasadena so special.

I won't say that your comments are silly or absurd, rather, I would encourage you to learn more about the history of Pasadena and its residents, that is considering your comment that "all I know of him is what I'm told here."

Laurence Todd
President

Location hidden

#15 Sep 15, 2009
PASHOFPAL wrote:
Peter_Fields:
Your comments that "Many people have absolutely no idea who Mack Robinson is until they're told the history of Jackie's "not so famous brother." or that "If he's erased from the memorial of the park, then most likely he'll be erased from 99% of the immediate memory of the populace" are untrue.
Mack is a legend in his own right and every "True Pasadenian" knows that. By "True Pasadenians" I mean those individuals who families for generations upon generations have resided, worked and attended school in Pasadena. For example, Mario Clark's (Former 49er and NFL Superbowl Champion) family was one the first families (not just a black family) that lived in Pasadena when "Pasadena" was originally founded. Heck, before Chris Holden became a City of Pasadena Council Member, he was known by "True Pasadenians" for helping the bulldogs win a state basketball championship in the 70's. I'm sure every member of their families, and their descendants, knew who Mack Robinson was then; before the statutes, the naming of the post office, etc. You see, everyone from Pasadena knows everyone who lives (ed) in Pasadena. That's what makes Pasadena so special.
I won't say that your comments are silly or absurd, rather, I would encourage you to learn more about the history of Pasadena and its residents, that is considering your comment that "all I know of him is what I'm told here."
Laurence Todd
President
My reply is on the other article.
PASHOFPAL

New Cuyama, CA

#16 Sep 15, 2009
Peter_Fields wrote:
<quoted text>
I think we will have to agree to disagree.

The point I was making or trying to make, was that one, everyone in Pasadena - Yes, True Pasadenians, know who Mack Robinson is. Secondly, even if you didn't live in Pasadena, his legacy extends outside of Pasadena, after all he did compete in the Olympics (Silver Medal)with Jesse Owens - his story is well documented for all who are interested.

Again, I don't beleive that the renaming of Robinson Park to "Jackie Robinson Park" deminishes, in any way, Mr. Mack Robinson's contributions to American Sports History or the city of Pasadena.

I guess we could agree that our dialogue has done some service in paying tribute to Mack's accomplishments.

Laurence Todd
President

Location hidden

#17 Sep 15, 2009

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Fair Oaks Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 26 min RiccardoFire 7,966
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 4 hr do it here 16,011
How would you like to/be proposed? 16 hr Jimmy 2
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Mon El SupremoS 201,038
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) Sep 28 No Time for Tea 5,084
....PLANT Native....garden... Sep 25 shykora paul arts 1
Disney on Ice is back in San Jose! Discount on ... Sep 24 multisportmom 1

North Fair Oaks Jobs

North Fair Oaks People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

North Fair Oaks News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in North Fair Oaks

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]