Moms Talk: How Important is Religious...

Moms Talk: How Important is Religious Education?

There are 11 comments on the Patch.com story from May 18, 2011, titled Moms Talk: How Important is Religious Education?. In it, Patch.com reports that:

His dad gave him a short synopsis, and when he mentioned Jesus, our son asked excitedly, "Is that the bad guy?" I was raised Catholic, but I am lapsed now, to say the least.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Patch.com.

POPE

Rising Sun, MD

#1 May 19, 2011
religions are BS .. to feed this crap to kids is child abuse .. it makes them sick and crazy.

God is just pretend
WTD

Fort Worth, TX

#2 Jun 5, 2011
POPE wrote:
religions are BS .. to feed this crap to kids is child abuse .. it makes them sick and crazy.
God is just pretend
I'll be praying for you, you have a lot of hate in your heart.
obvious

Rising Sun, MD

#3 Jun 10, 2011
religions are myths, folklore, legend, fairytales. the bible has been shown to bea book of fictional nonsense.
god is pretend

Rising Sun, MD

#4 Jun 12, 2011
teaching kids that religions are true, good, etc is abusive .. it limits their progress, it makes them fearful of things that dont exist. It makes them neurotic.
WTD

Fort Worth, TX

#5 Jun 12, 2011
obvious wrote:
religions are myths, folklore, legend, fairytales. the bible has been shown to bea book of fictional nonsense.
Thanks for your opinion. Do you believe everything you are told? The Bible has been shown to have a TON of accurate historical information. Several times it has been claimed that the bible is historically inaccurate, based on a certain bit of yet unproven info in the bible, and then later proof is found - like the existence of the Hittites.
WTD

Fort Worth, TX

#6 Jun 12, 2011
god is pretend wrote:
teaching kids that religions are true, good, etc is abusive .. it limits their progress, it makes them fearful of things that dont exist. It makes them neurotic.
Thanks for repeating the word of Dawkins.

Teaching kids the scripture is not abusive. They get to make their own choice. Besides, there also a lot of good things to learn from scripture, weather you believe the scripture or not. For example - Honesty, Humility, Loyality, Love, and other such virtues long forgotten.

Also, many great scientists, inventors, politicians and philanthropists have been Christians. An example of a Christian scientist would be Sir Issac Newton. It does not seem that his belief in scripture hindered his progress or neurological ability.

You call Christians neurotic, and yet you post mean and inflammatory speech, passing off your opinion as truth. Sounds like you don't disbelieve in God, it sounds like you hate God and want to disbelieve in God.

And that's ok. Many people get angry with God for one reason or another, but he loves you, and wants you to have a personal relationship with him. He is always ready and willing to accept you, should you wish to accept him.

I am praying for you.- I don't mean that in a condescending way either, just to clarify - I know that it can sound that way, but I know that I am no better than anyone else. As Apostle Paul said, "Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief." (1 Timothy 1:15)
Veronica

Brooklyn, NY

#7 Jun 13, 2011
Just a quick comment on religious education. My personal opinion is children deserve and need religious education. The world is such a very dark place, we all know that. Why not give them a chance to choose another path. As I tell my children the world without Christ and service, is a world full of selfishness and darkness. Christ truly is the light of the world. Without religious education, a child has no choice. That is very very sad. Look at the public school system. What happened when religion was removed. Selfishness & meaness increased...lack of respect..having to force most kids to serve. Let's look for a better way, a better future...
retiredTeacher

Rising Sun, MD

#8 Jul 9, 2011
WTD wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for your opinion. Do you believe everything you are told? The Bible has been shown to have a TON of accurate historical information. Several times it has been claimed that the bible is historically inaccurate, based on a certain bit of yet unproven info in the bible, and then later proof is found - like the existence of the Hittites.
The bible has no credence. It has not a source of accurate info ... read "MISQUOTING JESUS" by Ehrman. The bible is myth and folklore recopied by shaky hands for centuries, changed myriad times by corrupt popes. Xtianity is a cult. Pushing it on kids is child abuse.

ever read Leviticus? What a hoot! God is pretend.
Veronica

Brooklyn, NY

#9 Jul 13, 2011
To "retired teacher":

As I said before, a world without Christ is dark and your rantings are a great example. So very dark and hopeless. My prayers are with you.

Our world needs the light of Jesus Christ, hope of the world.

“Think & act in the positive.”

Since: May 10

USA

#10 Jul 13, 2011
Anti-religious groups and disbelievers display themselves with dark and angry attacks and purport to be intellectually righteous while spewing their pathetic mantra. So one-sided and blind are they to require the narcotics of mock, ridicule and scorn in an attempt to justify their lack of morals and ethics. They may be ‘Dead Again Creatures’ or simply failures at life.

I certainly pray that they may one day find peace.
Ralph

Washington, DC

#11 Mar 21, 2016
Many times over people have tried to prove that the bible is false, & when doing so proved it was true. I took my kids out of public schools because they were trying to teach them things that are not morraly OK. We put them in the Christian school, & they are doing alright. Friends of theirs that stayed in the public school is having problems with the law because of the teachings of the public schools. Do you want your kids in jail? I don't.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North East Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Daniel Stickney (Sep '12) 5 hr BusinessLeader2054 19
News Cecil County Exec McCarthy Gets Probation on DW... 5 hr BusinessLeader2054 2
News Transparency urged as Harford school board cont... 9 hr jane 1
News 24 lose their homes during massive condo fire Apr 1 Will Dockery 2
Looking for laborers in North East, MD (Mar '17) Dec '17 Arsen01 2
lakeside trailer park,and cecil hill (Sep '08) Nov '17 RGS Rblood 144
Review: TV Repairs -- Fast and Thrifty (Feb '11) Oct '17 Mary P 8

North East Jobs

Personal Finance

North East Mortgages