DESPERATELY looking for old accident ...
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mikey

Chicago, IL

#21 Mar 21, 2013
I hope Lisa is well. I hope...
Mike

Olney, IL

#22 Mar 21, 2013
I'd love to know that Lisa survived, and fully recovered. I wonder if a person would have any memory of a night like that, and if they ever went back to visit the site or struggled with any feelings of survivor's guilt (which, I would hope, she doesn't).

But, the bodies were all facing the same direction? When I was there I'm certain that the bodies were already covered while Lisa was still being removed from the car, and my most striking memory is seeing one of the bodies slumped upright against the east side of the house. My memory could be faulty because I was only eight years old but it was such a profound experience for me that I always felt that I remembered it with a lot of clarity. I wish there were photos of the scene, to fill in the last few pieces.
Was there

Fountain Hills, AZ

#23 Mar 21, 2013
Here is a Chicago Tribune article on the accident

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1986-12-30...

A simple web search shows Lisa survived and may still live in the area.
Mikey

Chicago, IL

#24 Apr 19, 2013
Visited Roadenizer's grave. Sad he died on his birthday.
Don't drink and drive. Please don't get in a car with a drunk.
I remember this accident

Saint Louis, MO

#25 Sep 3, 2013
I was 16 when this happened and knew the girls. Lisa did survive and recover to a good extent. I have wondered about her from time to time. She was in a coma for what seemed like forever. The last time I saw her, we had to have been 18 or 19 and she was walking with a small limp. She did have effects from the accident, I believe it broke most of the bones in her body. It was a miracle that she survived.
Mike

Flora, IL

#26 Sep 10, 2013
Was There: I saw that article, it's one of only a few that I was able to find. Thanks for posting it. I've looked for info on Lisa and never saw anything though. Only that she survived the initial accident.

Mikey: I agree completely@

I Remember: That's great to hear! I'm really happy that something positive came out of that horrendous accident. I'm sure she was deeply affected both physically and emotionally. If I ever met her I don't think I'd want to put her through the trauma of thinking about the accident but I'd be so curious to hear her take on everything that happened.
carl

Chicago, IL

#27 Nov 23, 2013
bad night.
Jan

Chicago Ridge, IL

#28 Nov 23, 2013
I noticed black-ice that night and think that contributed to the accident.
JAN

Michigan City, IN

#29 Nov 24, 2013
Mike, I'm Richard's younger brother Jan. I was at his 23rd birthday party( 12/26/86 ) that night. we all pulled on to Lewis Ave. together heading southbound. The last time I saw them, they sped by me at 21st street in Zion. They all were smiling and waving at me and having a good time. If you have any questions, post it, and I'll check back from time to time. hope this helped.
song 4 them

Kenosha, WI

#30 Nov 25, 2013
"Don't you ever laugh as the hearse goes by,
For you may be the next one to die.
They wrap you up in a big white sheet
From your head down to your feet.
They put you in a big black box
And cover you up with dirt and rocks.
All goes well for about a week,
Until your coffin begins to leak.
The worms crawl in, the worms crawl out,
The worms play pinochle in your snout,
They eat your eyes, they eat your nose,
They eat the jelly between your toes.
A big green worm with rolling eyes
Crawls in your stomach and out your eyes.
Your stomach turns a slimy green,
And pus pours out like whipping cream.
You'll spread it on a slice of bread,
And this is what you eat when you are dead.
Mikey

Chicago, IL

#31 Dec 2, 2013
Hey Jan,
I'm not the original "mike", author of this thread.
I'm pretty sure there are no words to describe the hurt you experienced, the loss of your brother.
I wonder if you know and keep on touch with Lisa. Hope she is well.
Sincerely,
Mikey
Cat

Zion, IL

#32 Dec 3, 2013
I lived in that neighborhood for 35 years until I moved to the Northeast side. I know. What's your real motive?
Mikey

Chicago, IL

#33 Dec 3, 2013
This is difficult to put into words.
Mike's account of this accident, the aftermath so many years later, grabbed my heart strings.
It made me realize that the crazy nights I survived when I was young could have easily gone the other way.
And now that I have kids, I worry about them, when they go out into the world.
I tell them about my experiences and the friends that I lost.
And I hope they stay safe.
Mikey

Chicago, IL

#34 Dec 3, 2013
And I don't think Mike has a motive.
I do believe what he saw when he was a kid, the accident, will be with him the rest of his life.
Mike

Flora, IL

#35 Dec 3, 2013
I'm the original author if this thread, and my motive was sheer curiosity. I wanted to learn more about what happened that night and who these people were. I had never been faced with death before at such a young age, other than my grandfather (who I hardly knew) passing on when I was about four. To go from a happy night at Chuck E. Cheese to a quiet, solemn scene of bodies on a lawn was very jarring to me.

It was fascinating though as well- it's hard to put into words all the different thoughts and questions and images that flood your head when you see something like that so early in life. You want to understand it, you're scared by it, but you're also intrigued by it. Things seem different, life seems more complex and yet far more fragile. I felt a great sadness for the victims yet also a morbid curiosity to see what they looked like under the sheeting. I was just a kid, confronted by something that I didn't expect and which was hard to process, and it's just a powerful event that's stayed with me all my life. There's not really a "motive" to something like that, other than wanting to learn about it.

I don't even know what to say to surviving relatives, I honestly feel kind of bad even talking about the subject where I know they can see it. How it affected me would obviously be nothing compared to how it affected them, and I probably have the appearance of some random gawker. Which I guess, at the end of the day, is exactly what I was. I didn't know the people who were on the lawn, I didn't yet understand what it's like to lose someone close in such a horrible way. But that's just it- seeing the immediate aftermath of the accident made me WANT to know these things, and understand the people and the circumstances that led to their deaths. Their deaths had a positive effect too- they served as a constant reminder of how easy it is to lose control of the wheel and how important it is not to drink and drive.

While many people who looked on that night - and there were many- probably went home affected by the scene but didn't spend a lot of time thinking about it, I really did. For years I wanted to know what I had actually seen and only about two decades later did I finally find out. Now that I have it's as if I want to go back in time and get to know these people, meet Lisa someday and tell her how I watched with concern when they were trying to tear open that trunk and how happy I am that she made it out safely. I want to tell the relatives that I'm sorry they lost their loved ones, and let them know that the deaths weren't in vain because they served as an important lesson to me and probably many others there that life is precious and can be taken in an instant.

I guess at the end of the day the accident was just an impactful moment in my life, you know? Despite being nothing more than a passerby it had a real effect on me that's never going to go away.
Ally

Madison, WI

#36 Dec 29, 2013
Hi, my name is Allison and my mom is Lisa Klauke. I just want to say myself how scary it is to learn that your mom was ever in a situation as bad as this one was. I am so grateful that she made it that day. My heart breaks for the ones that did not. I'm so sorry for everyone that lost somebody they cared about in that accident. My mom did make it. She was in a coma for a while and had to learn how to walk and act and even who her own parents were again. I'm 20 years old and I still think constantly while driving that something will happen to me. It's scary to constantly have that going through your mind. I just want you guys to know that my mom made it. Thank you for being so concerned about this story.
jan

Chicago, IL

#37 Dec 30, 2013
Allison, I'm Richard's brother Jan. I was at the birthday party that night to give my brother a birthday card and I remember your mom. she was with my brother that night on a date. they all were playing UNO. I'm glad your mother survived and is doing ok. I've wondered for years how she was doing. please tell her I said hi and would like to chat with her if she is able. my brother would have been 50 this year. still miss him a lot. I wish that night would have never happened. but I'm glad your mom made it and lived on to have a daughter. your mom was really sweet from what I remember. I wish the very best for both of you. sincerely Jan.
jan

Chicago, IL

#38 Dec 30, 2013
Allison, I live in wildwood, IL. not Toledo, OH.
melisa urgo

Fox Lake, IL

#39 Jan 6, 2014
Harry wrote:
<quoted text>
The driver was a 21 yo male,(fatality), there were two 16 yo females, one survived, one didn't. The car was a camaro, southbound that hit the utility pole on the sw corner of Lewis & Eastwood.
David Ellis was older. Richard Rodenizer was his birthday he was 26 lisa clause, Catherine Serbedjia was 15 Catherine died. And both guys died. It was a Nova!!!!!
Mike

Flora, IL

#40 Jan 7, 2014
Wow, I can't tell you how weird it is to hear from relatives of the people involved in the accident. I don't even know what to say, I've spent years of my life thinking about your loved ones and the crash that took their lives that night. There are so many things I'd love to know about you and your families but I wouldn't even know where to begin. It's amazing to even see two of you discussing such details as your relatives being on a date and playing Uno, I can put myself back at Chuck E. Cheese on that same evening at probably the same time, never knowing that maybe an hour later an event would transpire that would, more than 25 years later, get us all in a discussion about that night. It was an important event to all of us for many different reasons.

I too would love to talk to Lisa sometime. And Jan, you as well. It just feels so weird, like I said I wouldn't even know where to begin. As a complete stranger who was nothing more than a bystander to a tragic event in both of your families' lives, my role in this seems so inadequate.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
carol philyaw bradley (Oct '09) Jun 25 Becky 2
News State Presents New Witness In 1992 Holly Staker... (Nov '07) Jun 25 mel missy williams 9
News Speaking out against Justus Howell decision Jun 21 Anonymous 20
News Teen convicted of fatal drag race back in custo... Jun 18 RIP Cynthia 4
Has anyone tried this trick to test used batter... Jun 17 Joshua 11
News How many more will we mourn? Jun 15 marissamo22 3
News The mayoral race and the color of inequality in... Apr '15 reality is a crutch 1
More from around the web

North Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

North Chicago Mortgages