Antioch teen charged in fatal street racing crash remains free on $100,000 bond

Jul 16, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Daily Herald

Despite a second attempt to increase bond, it will remain the same for a 17-year-old Antioch Township boy charged with aggravated DUI in the death of a teenage girl during a street race in Gurnee last month.

Comments
1 - 20 of 24 Comments Last updated Jul 27, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Resident

Lake Villa, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2013

Judged:

I do understand that he is out on bond and in treatment. What I don't understand is why is the other driver is still in jail at a higher bond than Mr Betancourt? Betancourt caused the accident, reckless homicide, aggravated street racing, driving without a valid driver's license and operating an uninsured vehicle after the crash, and his bond is lowered to 100K. Mr Dawson remains in jail with a bond of $250K for aggravated street racing and operating a vehicle with an expired registration. Is this how the justice system works in Lake County? How is this possible?
Les Groper

Milwaukee, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2013

Judged:

Go complain to them about it, not us.

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2013

Judged:

Resident wrote:
I do understand that he is out on bond and in treatment. What I don't understand is why is the other driver is still in jail at a higher bond than Mr Betancourt? Betancourt caused the accident, reckless homicide, aggravated street racing, driving without a valid driver's license and operating an uninsured vehicle after the crash, and his bond is lowered to 100K. Mr Dawson remains in jail with a bond of $250K for aggravated street racing and operating a vehicle with an expired registration. Is this how the justice system works in Lake County? How is this possible?
I was wondering the same thing. I'm guessing Mr Betancourt has a paid attorney, the other not. Ridiculous.
Just a thought

Oswego, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2013

Judged:

This is Lake County Illinois. It's who you know , I would think you would find out more if you follow this from who is the attorneys who are the parents and so on.
vicki

Ingleside, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2013

Judged:

Justice is for sale in this country. I'm guessing the other driver's parents didn't buy him an attorney

Since: Oct 11

Antioch, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

vicki wrote:
Justice is for sale in this country. I'm guessing the other driver's parents didn't buy him an attorney
The other driver's father is deceased, and mother struggles to get by. Not sure what Jeremy's past record is, but I believe this is Dawsons 3rd trip to jail. All things considered, I do think his bail is too high.
Antioch Parent

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

This quote from the story really ticks me off:

"Our main concern is that a boy with a history of depression and poly-substance abuse is being held responsible for the death of a friend and injuring another," Stone said after the hearing. "It's important that he be given the proper care and treatment he needs."

He SHOULD be held responsible! His stupidity and actions directly caused the death of a friend! How can he not be held responsible for that? Cynthia and Gio were demanding that he stop and let them out of the car. Does he need treatment to address his addictions, yes, but he also needs to face up to what he did. Idiot.

If his family and attorney are so concerned about poor Jeremy, maybe they should take a look at his Facebook page. Maybe they should have looked at it before this happened and stepped up to be parents. Your kid is posting pictures of himself drinking, smoking, holding up his blunts, looking stoned in every picture. WHERE WERE YOU WHEN THIS WAS HAPPENING? Those photos are public. I could see them. Why couldn't you?
vicki

Ingleside, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Judged:

Just further proof...if you can afford for the best legal defense ...you can get away with anything...it's all about the dollar.
antioch smh

Ingleside, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

Did the others in the car have drugs in their systems as well?...so much underage drinking and drugs among Antioch youth...I blame the parents...Antioch cares more about being perceived as perfect then Confronting the problems that exsist.
huh

Lake Villa, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

antioch smh wrote:
Did the others in the car have drugs in their systems as well?...so much underage drinking and drugs among Antioch youth...I blame the parents...Antioch cares more about being perceived as perfect then Confronting the problems that exsist.
If you think this is an Antioch problem you are out of your mind. Fox Lake, Round Lake, Lake Villa, it's everywhere. Drinking and drugging are common all over.
antioch smh

Ingleside, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Judged:

Ask your kids...Antioch has twice as much alcohol, drugs and teen pregnancy then Lakes and Grant combined.
Rezident

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Judged:

antioch smh wrote:
Ask your kids...Antioch has twice as much alcohol, drugs and teen pregnancy then Lakes and Grant combined.
Oh dear, that is the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. Hope you have facts to back that up. From what I hear Lakes and Grant have a bad drug problem also. Sad but true. It's in all of our schools. To single one out due to some silly vendetta you have or hearsay is very sad. Drugs are in our area period.
antioch smh

Ingleside, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Judged:

I don't have to face it, it is not my problem,if you want to ignore it, your choice.
Wow

Mchenry, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

Judged:

antioch smh wrote:
I don't have to face it, it is not my problem,if you want to ignore it, your choice.
Its unfortunate that you dont. The rest of us seem to be able to acknowledge the fact that it is an areawide problem. You seem to have your own biased opinion. That is your problem, not ours.
antioch smh

Ingleside, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

.Facebook the kids and friends of the young lady who died and the young man who killed her...

Antioch, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

Judged:

antioch smh wrote:
.Facebook the kids and friends of the young lady who died and the young man who killed her...
Yes, by all means, focus on that core group. Completely disregard the thousands of other kids in Antioch. You are obviously an outsider, making a judgement call based on what's in the news. Worry about your own kids and town. I have several friends with kids at Grant and trust me, you have the same problems as any other town in America.

Perhaps you'd be better served to focus on your own town.
Humble Conservative

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

Judged:

News Reader 2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, by all means, focus on that core group. Completely disregard the thousands of other kids in Antioch. You are obviously an outsider, making a judgement call based on what's in the news. Worry about your own kids and town. I have several friends with kids at Grant and trust me, you have the same problems as any other town in America.
Perhaps you'd be better served to focus on your own town.
As much as your advice seems good and fine to say, if you look at the history of Antioch Police reports you may also see that there are a lot of illegal drug arrests in our little town, and the police must realize there is an issue too because they formed a special group to investigate the source of these illegal drugs.

What is more amazing to many is that some persons are allowed to deal illegal drugs in this town without fear of arrest due to local authority’s protection. The police must know about this activity because of all their under-cover operations.

Where are the newspaper articles on this activity?

There is word around town that the mayor was told about such illegal drug trafficking in Antioch under the protection of township officials and their cronies, but what happened? Nothing!

So go ahead and burry your head in the sand to the facts or tell others to focus on own their towns - but it's here and it is not stopping - at least by the Police interactions or local public officials.

Antioch, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

Judged:

Humble Conservative wrote:
<quoted text>
As much as your advice seems good and fine to say, if you look at the history of Antioch Police reports you may also see that there are a lot of illegal drug arrests in our little town, and the police must realize there is an issue too because they formed a special group to investigate the source of these illegal drugs.
What is more amazing to many is that some persons are allowed to deal illegal drugs in this town without fear of arrest due to local authority’s protection. The police must know about this activity because of all their under-cover operations.
Where are the newspaper articles on this activity?
There is word around town that the mayor was told about such illegal drug trafficking in Antioch under the protection of township officials and their cronies, but what happened? Nothing!
So go ahead and burry your head in the sand to the facts or tell others to focus on own their towns - but it's here and it is not stopping - at least by the Police interactions or local public officials.
I know nothing about the allegations you make against township officials and refuse to feed into the political hate-mongering that goes on.

I read the police blotter. And I listen to my kids. I'm focusing on the under-age arrests, because that's what this story is about. I generally know which kids are getting arrested (thru social circles) and it's basically the same crew. Thanks for your concern, but trust me, my head is far from buried in the sand. I have teenagers. I stick my nose into everything to watch out for my kids.
Wow

Mchenry, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

Judged:

antioch smh wrote:
And your point is? Facebook any teen in Lake county and chances are you will find things you may not like.

Unfortunately people are too willing to think it's some other town's problem, or some other school's. It's everywhere. Open your eyes.
antioch smh

Ingleside, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Judged:

I don't have children going to any area high school. I'm grateful I don't. I would certainly not send them to Antioch if I did...as the other poster said..bury your head in the sand.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent North Chicago Discussions

Search the North Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 2 hr skwirts 3,835
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 10 hr Terry rigsby 48,944
attention ladies! Sun i should knw 1
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) Sun newpoly 1,864
IL Who do you support for Secretary of State in Il... (Oct '10) Sun Chicagobunny 527
Judge jay ukena (Mar '13) Jul 26 Alison 114
St. Vincent DePaul Store Thrift Store Moving to... Jul 21 Chicagobroker 10
•••
•••
•••
•••

North Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

North Chicago People Search