HCIA deal gets Jersey City 8 new fire...

HCIA deal gets Jersey City 8 new fire trucks

There are 4 comments on the The Jersey Journal story from Jan 10, 2007, titled HCIA deal gets Jersey City 8 new fire trucks. In it, The Jersey Journal reports that:

County and Jersey City officials will announce the purchase of eight new fire trucks for the Jersey City Fire Department at a press conference today at noon at the department's Downtown headquarters, officials ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Jersey Journal.

Heidi

New Rochelle, NY

#1 Jan 10, 2007
Seriously, Jersey City Firefighters make out very well with their inflated salaries and 3 day work schedules..... what happened to volunteer firefighters? and so the town has enough money to purchase 8 "new" fire trucks???? very interesting. i'm glad i no longer live in jersey city.
dtu463

Poughkeepsie, NY

#2 Feb 21, 2007
To preface, I am NOT a firefighter nor do I work for Jersey City.

I understand your frustration with the perception of the "excess" money however - their salaries have nothing to do with the budget allocated to equipment. The towns always have the money to purchase equipment - it's worked into the budget in most cases, and additionally, supported by state contracts with the equipment suppliers to save money. Whatever salaries or benefits they have don't necessarily affect the equipment purchases.

Also, the trucks are typically - in every town practically - running 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. What you don't see when you watch them go by is the actual mechanical condition - most older apparatus have rust, leaks, and malfuntioning equipment that corresponds with age, and as the maintenance costs increase, and the time to continually repair the trucks, it usually is smarter to replace rather than fix.

That being said, it is the personal safety of your family and all townspeople that rely on the ability of the JCFD and for that matter, North Hudson regional fire, to respond quickly to any emergency using equipment that functions in every way. The last thing you want to know is that there would have been more units at an incident but a truck broke down, so sorry about your luck but the engine couldn't make it in time and your house burned down...

And a last note - while noble and admirable, a town of Jersey City's size should and would never rely on volunteer public safety persons for any reason - it is inconsistent and hard to regulate. Just think - who can't respond because, well they were at a barbeque and had a few beers, or a volunteer is 20 minutes away at the time of the call - could you see a volunteer getting through Hudson County traffic to respond to a station house? And if one is not getting paid, what would compel them to care? And additionally, if they get hurt or killed, what insurance or benefits can the family count on?

It's your safety - it's very easy to focus on the dollar signs, but unfortunatley that is shortsighted. Take a close look for that matter at the real condition of the police cars in any town on a night shift - not the day shift when all the nice ones are put out to look good for the town - they are garbage. Dents, damage, malfunctioning lights - yes, part of the job, but indicative of the workload and necessary to replace.
pompiere

Portland, ME

#3 Apr 19, 2007
I am a firefighter though not in NJ. It is amazing how uniformed many taxpayers are about the fire dept. Jersey City firefighters are known across the US as a very busy, very agressive bunch of profesionals. It is ludicrous to even ask about volunteers when talking about the numbers of runs these guys do. And the equipment? It gets used very hard, often and generally is kept longer than should be legal. Fire engines cannot be kept to the point where they become unreliable. Peoples lives count on them working at a moments notice. If an engine quits on these guys its a little different then you calling a cab to get home when your Lexus dies. As for salaries? Let's see who wants to risk their life for less? How many others would risk everything day after day without asking who's house it is? What religion do they practice? How much money do they make? What's the color of their skin? No these guys put it on the line wihout hesitation or question. And we support pro-sports entertainers making a million dollars to warm the bench!
Frodoe of Fort Monroe

Norfolk, VA

#4 Feb 6, 2011
So how would you people of New Jersey like to see Army Base Fort Monroe become a national historic park and the new home for Cuba's next ambassador to the United States!?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Bergen Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Shoplifting girl sparks compassion from Atlanta... Fri Pope Closet Emeritus 2
Review: Garden State Animal Hospital - Kimberle... (Apr '10) May 16 Harvey32 32
News Bar owner, 5 others held after drug raid (Jul '07) May 15 Miss Trish 28
Adoptees and Birth parents, and siblings Reunite! May 6 joan 1
part time - full time: amazing caregiver / nann... Apr '17 jenam 1
News Has Bayonne failed its Muslim community? The un... Apr '17 123456789abc 5
Thirsty Thursday Mar '17 Walter White 2

North Bergen Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

North Bergen Mortgages