Turning point of the turning point

Turning point of the turning point

There are 25 comments on the Bennington Banner story from Aug 12, 2010, titled Turning point of the turning point. In it, Bennington Banner reports that:

On a foggy morning in August 1777, about 2,000 men broke camp and prepared for battle.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bennington Banner.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jubal Harshaw

Waitsfield, VT

#21 Aug 14, 2010
I would like to know why Bennington is claiming all the fame for having the battle in Bennington when it was in NY. I would also like to know why it's called the battle of Bennington....it should be the battle of Walloomsac.

The reason is two fold Lindsey.

The first is that the winners write the history and the victors were defending the stores(a major supply cache) in Bennington which the British wanted, and needed.

Another widely forgotten detail is that the residents of that area of present day New York state, had previous to the Battle of Bennington voted to throw their lot in with the Republic of Vermont. Therefore, the battle did indeed take place in Vermont.[back story: the Green Mountain Boys protected the freemen of that area from the Yorker militia on a number of different occasions. Naturally those areas -as were the communities on the east side of the Connecticut River which had also declared their allegiance and therefore their territory as Vermont- were returned to their former jurisdictions before Vermont was allowed entry to the Union.]
blue butt temp

Argyle, NY

#22 Aug 14, 2010
why do we in ny. whine so much about the battle of bennington being renamed.we (ny) lost! get over it, or the vermonsters might come back and take the battle field back. it is the spoils of war, my friend. we are lucky that vt. did not move their border to the hudson river. they had the power to do just that.
Stefka

Chelmsford, MA

#23 Aug 16, 2010
Lindsay wrote:
I would like to know why Bennington is claiming all the fame for having the battle in Bennington when it was in NY. I would also like to know why it's called the battle of Bennington....it should be the battle of Walloomsac. The British were trying to get to Bennington but were stopped in Walloomsac which is where the battle occurred
In addition to some of the reasons already given, the Colonial supply dump the British were attempting to take was, indeed, stored in Bennington -- on the site where the Monument now stands.

That said, whenever possible, for practical reasons, it is better for whatever resource you're trying to protect if you aren't standing on it while your enemies are shooting at it/you. Engaging the enemy at a distance is just plain smart.
Hmmmm

Bennington, VT

#24 Aug 20, 2010
Lindsay wrote:
I would like to know why Bennington is claiming all the fame for having the battle in Bennington when it was in NY. I would also like to know why it's called the battle of Bennington....it should be the battle of Walloomsac. The British were trying to get to Bennington but were stopped in Walloomsac which is where the battle occurred
Why? So that ignorant people like YOU can whine and cry about it. You answered your own question, by the way.

Get a life.
Hmmmm

Bennington, VT

#25 Aug 20, 2010
Lindsay wrote:
<quoted text> At least those battles are in the same state and the historic sites are at the actual site where the battle took place
You REALLY ARE dumb, aren't you? Bennington Battlefield IS in Walloomsac, NY.

You should stop posting. Now.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Bennington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
chris harrington and the country drifters??!!?? (Sep '11) 6 min oleblkjck 23
News Man sentenced for selling drugs near school 4 hr Fatso Fife 4
News Drug dealers busted (Nov '14) Feb 15 Fatso Fife 4
News Five face drug-related charges Feb 5 Fatso Fife 1
News Our View: A step forward on marijuana Feb 4 Fatso Fife 5
News Facebook posts result in jail time over conditions (Feb '11) Jan 28 Fatso Fife 41
News Former employee suing Mack Molding over alleged... Jan 21 Comrade Sanders 2

North Bennington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

North Bennington Mortgages