Letters: Senate tried to boost downtown

There are 12 comments on the Bennington Banner story from Jul 22, 2010, titled Letters: Senate tried to boost downtown. In it, Bennington Banner reports that:

I am responding to Chuck Putney's letter to the editor on July 14, wherein he reviews the failure of the state to locate the new Bennington state office building downtown.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bennington Banner.

Non-Coddler

Bennington, VT

#1 Jul 23, 2010
The more I read about efforts to favor/coddle Main St./downtown businesses the more sickened I am by it. Such favoritism is unfair. What about all the other businesses in the area? All need to survive & thrive on their own, not favoritism.
Jackie O

Middlebury, VT

#2 Jul 23, 2010
Non-Coddler wrote:
The more I read about efforts to favor/coddle Main St./downtown businesses the more sickened I am by it. Such favoritism is unfair. What about all the other businesses in the area? All need to survive & thrive on their own, not favoritism.
We could coddle walmart and cvs. How's that?
Non-Coddler

Bennington, VT

#3 Jul 24, 2010
Jackie O wrote:
<quoted text>
We could coddle walmart and cvs. How's that?
Once more, since you obviously missed it the 1st time....
All (businesses) need to survive & thrive on their own, not favoritism.

“Bring Your Own Chair”

Since: Mar 10

Kinnakeet, NC

#4 Jul 24, 2010
Non-Coddler wrote:
Try running that one past Scooter05201....
In his world we should pay for goods and services plus an additional tax from time to time to keep failing commerce in check even though they are being managed by buffoons.....
Here's an idea for ya.....
Have the town purchase strategically located property for the purpose of creating METERED PARKING LOTS.... In order for any
revitalization to take place in that town you are going to need parking for a least 2000 cars.... Do away with the on street parking which allows you enough area for a center turn
lane and a yield right on red lane which eliminates traffic congestion... This also gives tourist a better view of what each store is selling as they drive by....
Owners of businesses downtown could be given discounted monthly parking permits for their employees and store owners could offer parking tokens to shoppers who purchase items from them.....
Between the revenue being generated from the meters and of course those lovely expired meter tickets, the town would benefit nicely.....
Put a community outdoor swimming pool downtown and sell yearly memberships.... What the hell, if they can get away with it in Eugene, Oregon why not Bennington, Vermont???? Crazy you say???? There used to be a Dairy Queen and the original A&W and if it were not for the old YMCA-Pool, they would have never been built and oh yea, the Burger Chef, LONG BEFORE Mackey D's.... They closed the pool, Bye Bye to all 3 but Chuck Jenson just moved closer to town and built the eat in joint... That Rec Center is a total joke and
caters to a select few....
There is BILLIONS out there for revitalization projects and every damn town I have seen uses this somewhat FREE MONEY to put in new sidewalks and plant trees and flowers on the Main street... Yippity Frigg'n Do Da!!!!!
Do you know what the secret was to DOWNTOWN USA?????
Ask the Old Timers, it was a Carnival Atmosphere and every weekend it changed.... People walked to the downtown area, they didn't drive... Friday and Saturday discount sales signs were always
visible in store windows.... The original street vendors selling GOOD, FRESH Popcorn and peanuts, the lines waiting to get in to the Stark and Harte Theater and afterward the lines waiting to get into the Village Nook and Vermont Restaurant...
Flash forward to 2010, nobody walks any more and if there is no parking, its off to the asphalt land of WallyWorld and all of its starving little shops surrounding it because they can't afford the rent in that fancy new mall....
Put in some nice fancy looking parking lots with trees and flowers and grass, bring back the carnival atmosphere regularly and you will have a successful downtown.... If not, watch it rot to the ground..... Show me a historical building that's been vacant for
a few years and I'll show you some future back fill for a new WalMart...
Fred

Brookline, MA

#5 Jul 25, 2010
I truly do wish the best for Downtown Bennington, but it would be wrong to try to help Main Street survive by fleecing taxpayers for things we do not need and putting more money in Appleman's pocket. Appleman's credibility and business acumen are readily on display in articles appearing in the Banner regarding bankruptcy filings.

The bypass and welfare, are going to kill Main Street. There is nothing that can be done to stop that now. It was FOOLISH to do the bypass the way it has been done, but that's water under the several bridges that have been constructed.

Wilmington is nicer, more compelling, has better restaurants, and is closer to the ski areas. Bennington is getting more and more crowded with Section 8 housing, welfare mamas, and adult male leaches on a society that is far to generous and can never say "no" to dirt-bag loosers, but always says yes to more taxes and a cushy life for baby mamas.

Bennington is rapidly headed toward being a cancer on southern Vermont map. When the bypass is complete, I will rarely see Main Street, and neither will travelers.
Leonidas

Brookline, MA

#6 Jul 25, 2010
Are the State Offices so far from downtown that they can't patronage downtown?
Is the clientele that visit these offices really what we want on our Main Street?
What do the State workers want?
Did the Senate boost downtown when them and the Reps. pushed for the bypass?
We have have become the architects of our own demise?
Non-Coddler

Bennington, VT

#7 Jul 25, 2010
Main St. needs to offer goods &/or services that people want, at reasonable/competitive prices.

As for the bypass, it will be a boon to most of the populace. As it is I bypass Main St. via side roads due to it being a tight & congested mess. That little road wasn't designed to accommodate the amount of traffic & size of vehicles of modern times.
Kim

Bennington, VT

#8 Jul 25, 2010
"Have the town purchase strategically located property for the purpose of creating METERED PARKING LOTS.... In order for any revitalization to take place in that town you are going to need parking for a least 2000 cars.... Do away with the on street parking which allows you enough area for a center turn"
Alex they can't even bother to issue tickets for over night parking Nov-May who will bother to enforce metered parking? And who is going to pay for these beautiful park like lots you speak of?(That was a rhetorical question.)Parking has always been an issue and yet a couple of years ago they added those bump outs to the curb reducing parking spaces. The cross walks all changed to that faux brick, that looks like orange snow fencing and has to be redone every few years. Great big waste of money there. Who comes up with these money pit ideas?
Leonidas

Brookline, MA

#9 Jul 25, 2010
The day downtown has plenty of parking spaces and no traffic is the day we will be displaying tumbleweeds and soaped windows rather than moose and palettes.

we are doomed by our own impatience and intolerance.
Leonidas

Brookline, MA

#10 Jul 25, 2010
questions to a town in troubling times?
questions to a town in nothing but rhymes?

do you think this town will ever get things in order?
why didn't we fight to have the monument put on our State quarter?

do you really think we need another box store?
or more suburban sprawl that takes from our core?

does the light on the monument need to be brighter?
does less hail help the apples grow that give us sweet cider?

do the statues at the monument need to be left in the dark?
I'm talking about Seth Warner and General John Stark

should this town be run by a board or a mayor?
Do the selectman act like they care?

Does a tennis bubble serve a community at whole do you think?
or would we be better with an ice rink?

do we need antiquated trains on rusty old rails?
or shiny new bikes on brand new trails?

have you ever left this town and found it hard to take off your boots"
did you soon return to where your feet feel like roots?

“Bring Your Own Chair”

Since: Mar 10

Kinnakeet, NC

#11 Jul 25, 2010
Kim wrote:
"Have the town purchase strategically located property for the purpose of creating METERED PARKING LOTS.... In order for any revitalization to take place in that town you are going to need parking for a least 2000 cars.... Do away with the on street parking which allows you enough area for a center turn"
Alex they can't even bother to issue tickets for over night parking Nov-May who will bother to enforce metered parking? And who is going to pay for these beautiful park like lots you speak of?(That was a rhetorical question.)Parking has always been an issue and yet a couple of years ago they added those bump outs to the curb reducing parking spaces. The cross walks all changed to that faux brick, that looks like orange snow fencing and has to be redone every few years. Great big waste of money there. Who comes up with these money pit ideas?
5000 Keystone cops running around in that area and nobody is writing parking tickets????
I find that very hard to believe, but if true, someone needs to address this issue and raise hell with Stuie Hurd....
As for who pays for a project like this, there are all sorts of federal and state grants available, one of which is a federal Community Development Block Grant... There are also grants which fall under the almighty GREEN ACT which awards money for projects using recycled materials and low voltage lighting or planting's for your tree huggers....
I threw out a figure of 2000 spaces because sections of these lots could be used for events to create that carnival effect I was talking about... Don't forget, I said eliminate all on street parking....
You're not only getting room for a center turn lane, you're getting a more visually aesthetic downtown shopping area....
GDog

Miami, FL

#12 Jul 26, 2010
Institute an age/baby ratio so tourists don't know the area is loaded with breeding underage hicks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Bennington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Help Wanted-Sistums Enjunear (Jan '14) Sun midwestern man 80
News One of McAllister's alleged victims was an inte... May 22 McCann skool dropout 10
News Route 9 closed after tractor-trailer accident (Nov '08) May 16 Kielduhcuumspunj 233
News Frustrated (Nov '13) May 16 Kielduhcuumspunj 81
Poll What type of town is Bennington (Sep '13) May 16 Kielduhcuumspunj 301
News The Tranquil Benningtonian: Hypnotherapy for yo... (Aug '13) Mar '15 Dr Pendyke 3
News It's time to make purely economic decisions of ... Feb '15 markey the masshole 2
More from around the web

North Bennington People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]