NBGS adding pre-K program

NBGS adding pre-K program

There are 11 comments on the Bennington Banner story from May 24, 2010, titled NBGS adding pre-K program. In it, Bennington Banner reports that:

This fall, North Bennington families with preschool age children will be able to take advantage of a new public/private partnership between the village school district and a number of area providers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bennington Banner.

Missing Info

United States

#1 May 26, 2010
Dawson conveniently forgot that this program raises income taxes, puts daycares out of business, and greatly exacerbates the phantom pubil problems in act 68. Too bad the reporter didn't actually research the program before reporting on it.
Crazy Bernie

Cranberry Twp, PA

#2 May 27, 2010
Education spending needs to be cut not increased.....and oh by the way NB, if the grant runs out after 2 years the program will stay and your taxes will go up. You know....it's for the children of course....weep weep.

Maybe we should have a government worker in the delivery room ready to use my tax money to hand out everything the kid will ever need. "Congrats on the baby Sally, here are keys to a new house, a new van, free school starts next week and here is how you get your free college and food and health care for life" Wouldn't that be swell.....

STOP SPENDING OUR MONEY!!!!!
Geeze Louise

Williamstown, MA

#3 May 27, 2010
Crazy Bernie wrote:
Education spending needs to be cut not increased.....and oh by the way NB, if the grant runs out after 2 years the program will stay and your taxes will go up. You know....it's for the children of course....weep weep.
Maybe we should have a government worker in the delivery room ready to use my tax money to hand out everything the kid will ever need. "Congrats on the baby Sally, here are keys to a new house, a new van, free school starts next week and here is how you get your free college and food and health care for life" Wouldn't that be swell.....
You don't work anyways. But you are right in that it will amount to more free babysitting.

“Bring Your Own Chair”

Since: Mar 10

Kinnakeet, NC

#4 May 27, 2010
Crazy Bernie wrote:
Bernie I guess you saw the same 20/20 program as I did where they called these programs a waste of time and money.... From a federal standpoint $1billion per year of tax payer money going into a program that has been proven worthless... But we're talking about
Vermont, so that makes it all better!!!!!!!

By grades 3 or 4 pre-K students are on the same level as those who didn't attend... Doi di Doi......

Students who attended pre-K programs were far more aggressive than those who didn't, bullying other students, and were more likely to be disruptive in a classroom atmosphere..... "Your future law enforcement candidates"......

I wholeheartedly agree with their findings and would also like to add that our entire school system in the US is doing everything in its power to completely destroy our youth and the values of education due to the massive "VooDoo" ethics being thrown at policy makers and parents today....
If you want change in your public school system I suggest the next time someone so much as even mentions "Child Psychology" you beat the living sheetz out of them, and get back to the intended task at hand, and that's educating your little darlings......

“Bring Your Own Chair”

Since: Mar 10

Kinnakeet, NC

#5 May 30, 2010
Come now boys and girls, no comments on more wasted
tax dollars????? You guys are to easy when it comes to being raped by your elected officials!!!!
Teacher and a mom

Winooski, VT

#6 Sep 15, 2010
I'd like any of you to spend time in a pre-k classroom, public or private, before passing off third-party information as your own. We are not paid babysitters but educated and qualified teachers dedicated to helping children develop skills essential for future school success. Kindergarten teachers are too busy focusing on meeting the standards and not on skills that many kids without a preschool education lack. Skills in non-academic areas such as conflict resolution. Sure, they can read and add but can they resolve conflicts with peers? Can they manage transititions without feeling overwhelmed? Things have changed since we went to kindergarten. Pre-k is the new kindergarten. And kindergarten is now the old first grade. Standards have forced our expectations to change-whether we like it to or not.
Teacher and a mom

Winooski, VT

#7 Sep 15, 2010
Alexs, do you know this information first hand? Where are these so-called stats coming from? Research your information throughly and locally before assuming what is true in one area must be true everywhere.
Crazy Bernie

Cranberry Twp, PA

#8 Sep 21, 2010
Teacher and a mom wrote:
I'd like any of you to spend time in a pre-k classroom, public or private, before passing off third-party information as your own. We are not paid babysitters but educated and qualified teachers dedicated to helping children develop skills essential for future school success. Kindergarten teachers are too busy focusing on meeting the standards and not on skills that many kids without a preschool education lack. Skills in non-academic areas such as conflict resolution. Sure, they can read and add but can they resolve conflicts with peers? Can they manage transititions without feeling overwhelmed? Things have changed since we went to kindergarten. Pre-k is the new kindergarten. And kindergarten is now the old first grade. Standards have forced our expectations to change-whether we like it to or not.
This is all of the coddling crap that has ruined education in this country. You worry about the math and the reading and the leave the rest to the parents. Oh the parents suck you say, well of course they do because they are the first group to have grown up in the coddling world. Raising another group who think everything will be done for them and they can live without consequences is not going to solve the problem.

Sometimes the truth hurts....and sometimes it even hurts children (and teachers unions).
yamon

Granby, MA

#9 Sep 21, 2010
Crazy Bernie wrote:
Education spending needs to be cut?? spoken from a true toothless hillbilly.
Early childhood educator

Bennington, VT

#10 Sep 21, 2010
I have seen both. Children that have participated in a program before k and children that haven't experienced that. Even children starting a program at 21/2 3 that have never left a family member have a very long road ahead of them before they truly realize it is ok to leave their loved ones. Unless the family that have these children are devoted to their childs social and emotional needs their child will spend 1/2 of the year learning to leave their loved ones and the other 1/2 trying to fit in and make friends. All the while they are transitioning the other children have learned that it is ok to leave their loved ones and little jhonny is his best friend. These children have learned compassion for others because they have seen their little friends laugh and cry for various reasons. They have learned to be a friend and with that they are already more than half way up the ladder of education.
Crazy Bernie

Bennington, VT

#11 Sep 22, 2010
yamon wrote:
<quoted text>Education spending needs to be cut?? spoken from a true toothless hillbilly.
Well how has the massive increase in education spending over the last 20 years (with declining enrollment no less) worked out???

Oh and I am pretty sure that toothless hillbillies can do math a hell of a lot better than liberal, union coddling democrats.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Bennington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Frustrated (Nov '13) Dec 3 markey fife 141
News Patriots shoot for national record (Feb '08) Dec 3 markey fife 4
News Readsboro's Finley recalled: Shot by son in app... (Dec '10) Nov 29 markey fife 14
News Police: Man masturbating on the side of road (May '16) Nov 17 Marky fan club 17
News Football coach faces penalty: Mount Anthonya s ... (Nov '10) Nov 16 Michael 76
21 Countries (Dec '15) Nov 14 at_realElmerFudd 40
News Drugs and a large weapons cache seized Jul '16 wut thuh fark 2

North Bennington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

North Bennington Mortgages