204 Depot shutting down Budget cuts f...

204 Depot shutting down Budget cuts force troubled youth progra...

There are 70 comments on the Bennington Banner story from Jan 27, 2010, titled 204 Depot shutting down Budget cuts force troubled youth progra.... In it, Bennington Banner reports that:

A long-standing local program for troubled youth is suspending its services because of the state's budget constraints, resulting in a loss of 10 local jobs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bennington Banner.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Local

Brookline, MA

#1 Jan 27, 2010
Too bad that people are losing their job's....But who is going to miss the delinquent/violent juvenile offenders who run away all the time and victimize this town's citizens. Maybe we will get lucky and Bennington School will leave town too...Or maybe if every student at Bennington School just committed a crime, the local State's Attorney will just send all of them packing back to their home state's. Then there will be no one to supervise and the school(s) can stop housing violent juvenile offenders in our community
Linda

Lisbon Falls, ME

#2 Jan 28, 2010
Wow, yeah I feel for the workers there. 15/20 years seem like a long time to me for such a job! I thank them for all they have done to change the lives of our young. It is really something we will always need, esp. in days like today. It's really sad.
Vermont transplant

Middlebury, VT

#3 Jan 28, 2010
The real world is full of chaos and dysfuntion. I don't see that as what was a major factor in their lifes and the choices they made as much as non supervision. Too bad so many are now joining the ranks of the unemployed. I think Obama is looking for a job for you all.
Bennington

Middlebury, VT

#4 Jan 28, 2010
Local wrote:
Too bad that people are losing their job's....But who is going to miss the delinquent/violent juvenile offenders who run away all the time and victimize this town's citizens. Maybe we will get lucky and Bennington School will leave town too...Or maybe if every student at Bennington School just committed a crime, the local State's Attorney will just send all of them packing back to their home state's. Then there will be no one to supervise and the school(s) can stop housing violent juvenile offenders in our community
Actually, it is too bad that they're losing their jobs, but it also is too bad that the program is shutting down. Even though they did get out at times,(and don't they all, in most towns?), I find the town's citizens are usually victimized by kids/people NOT at 204. As far as the schools go... parents need to be involved in their kids lives at school, it's not a daycare.... you have issues....
steven

Middlebury, VT

#5 Jan 28, 2010
Local wrote:
Everyone deserves a second chane especially theese young kids..Your an ass
town tax payer

Newport, ME

#6 Jan 28, 2010
I remember a time when these youths would gladly and very politely go about town and rake leaves after school for elderly homeowners who contacted Dick Sears or John Allard for help. They would go out early in the winter mornings and shovel snow and then go to school. They would do a lot of volunteer work around the community that people didn't always know about. It m,ade them better youths and also installed a work ethic. A lot of youths these days don't have this work ethic.
Ydnas

Harrisburg, PA

#7 Jan 28, 2010
Bennington wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, it is too bad that they're losing their jobs, but it also is too bad that the program is shutting down. Even though they did get out at times,(and don't they all, in most towns?), I find the town's citizens are usually victimized by kids/people NOT at 204. As far as the schools go... parents need to be involved in their kids lives at school, it's not a daycare.... you have issues....
Too many parents aren't invovled in their childrens lives any time of the day. they are too busy doing their own thing, like drinking, watching tv, doing drugs, looking for a boy or girl friend, doing their boy or girl friend, etc., etc., etc. All these and many more involve the many parents' time instead of being family members.

People who take the responsibility of parenting serious automatically are involved in their childrens' school life.
streetcar

Brookline, MA

#8 Jan 28, 2010
Local wrote:
right, this town would be perfect without bennington school and 204 depot.
A Jackson

Middlebury, VT

#9 Jan 28, 2010
Local wrote:
Maybe we can sweep them under a rug, send them to Siberia.
PownalResident

Cambridge, MA

#10 Jan 28, 2010
What is wrong with some of you people? You're sad to see people lose their jobs but not sad to see the program end? What about the CHILDREN who were served by this program? As a parent with an emotionally disturbed child, I know first-hand that there are too few resources in this area for children in need. Now there's one less. Not all kids in custody are there because they have crappy parents....I'd say I'm a damn good mother, and I think my child's social worker, therapist and teachers would agree. Sometimes kids just need extra help and there is no one to blame. It's too bad that our government is more concerned with funding a war we shouldn't even be fighting than they are with the future of our youth.
Local

Brookline, MA

#11 Jan 28, 2010
Maybe those of you who love the 204 program and Benn School have no clue abou the "children" going there. They are not just kids with home problems and behavior issues. Majority of them are convicted juvenile offenders who can't be put in jail due to their age. So because no system is available they pawn them onto towns like Bennington into "youth programs" like 204 and Benn School. You all have no idea the kind of "kids" living in your back yards.

Maybe you who love them so much will adopt one of these kids into your home?
stihlworker

Stowe, VT

#12 Jan 28, 2010
Local wrote:
It's always comical to read a comment full of such ignorance. As a matter of fact the kids that do run from 204 very rarely commit crimes in town. They just find people who will put them up for a few days. The crimes committed in Bennington are usually by Bennington kids themselves. Hey I have an idea, lets close all the schools in town. Then maybe all the kids who actually commit the crimes in Bennington will have to be schooled in other counties and all the crimes can be made there. This person probably has no kids and has NO IDEA what they are talking about
Local

Brookline, MA

#13 Jan 28, 2010
stihlworker wrote:
<quoted text>It's always comical to read a comment full of such ignorance. As a matter of fact the kids that do run from 204 very rarely commit crimes in town. They just find people who will put them up for a few days. The crimes committed in Bennington are usually by Bennington kids themselves. Hey I have an idea, lets close all the schools in town. Then maybe all the kids who actually commit the crimes in Bennington will have to be schooled in other counties and all the crimes can be made there. This person probably has no kids and has NO IDEA what they are talking about
Hmm. Good kids, only Bennington kids commit crimes? Maybe you have no clue. What about the poor woman who worked for Benn School that was nearly killed by one of the "good, law abiding Benn School student" who hit her in the head with a bar bell. No your right, he was set up by a Bennington kid. What about all those Benn School and 204 kids who escape, run into town, steal people's cars and crash them. Or go into Wal-Mart and shop lift then fight with the Bennington PD. Or how about the countless hours spent by the local PD, and other law enforcement chasing these kids down when they run. They are just going out for a while and get put up by someone for a day or two? Seriously? Ya they get put up by people all right, local predators who give them booze and drugs then sexually molest them. Know all the facts before you call someone ignorant, because making a comment about someone's post without ANY knowledge is ignorant.
stereo-type

Morrisville, VT

#14 Jan 28, 2010
It's ignorant to lump all 204 kids as the "same." Are you the same as the guy that lives on the same block as you? And as someone who has worked with youth in these programs, they are kids. Maybe you and others in this town are happy to "give up" on them or throw them in jail (and they will learn what there?) but some people, have seen good things come out of what you would call "bad" kids. I know several who have had the most horrible things happen to them and they have overcome tremendous odds to finish high school, go to college. Some of these same "bad kids" you see when you need your check cashed, get your blood pressure taken, and work on your vehicle. So don't be so quick to lump all of these kids together. It is sad to see 204 go, but I doubt it will be for long.
stihlworker

Stowe, VT

#15 Jan 28, 2010
once again here we go with the ignorance. Let's start with Good kids. Where in my comment does it say good kids? Second where did i say ONLY Benn kids commit crimes? They are troubled kids that's why they're in placement. I know that woman from Bennington School and that was very unfortunate but Bennington School takes the worst of the worst kids and very unfortunate incidents like that may happen but are very rare and the kid is now in jail for his crimes. Third you refer to the Bennington School kid as "Good law abiding Benn School student" Hmm never said that either. One thing you do know how to do is misquote and add comments never said. Countless hrs that police look for them, well that is part of their job. Local predators that feed them booze and drugs then sexually molest them? WOW you do have inside info don't you? Proof read your comments before you post them that's ridiculous
Thomas Campbell

Stowe, VT

#16 Jan 28, 2010
I'am connected with the Depot Street Program for over 20 years. I have seen so much growing within our youg adults that have past through the doors of the 204 Depot Program. It is a shame that services for our youth in general is slim to non. I want to give much thanks for all the providers in the state of Vermont that service and have serviced out young adults. Everyone keep up your hard heart felt dedication. Treat our youth as if they are your family. They are our future.
Knows Nothing

Methuen, MA

#17 Jan 28, 2010
It may be the job of the local law enforcement to chase them around... but as far as I know the Bennington School pays no taxes to the town... so none of the salaries of the officers are paid for in any part by them. They spend an enormous amount of their time tending to problems at the school and with it's students. I believe the same goes for 204 Depot.
Local

Brookline, MA

#18 Jan 28, 2010
stihlworker wrote:
once again here we go with the ignorance. Let's start with Good kids. Where in my comment does it say good kids? Second where did i say ONLY Benn kids commit crimes? They are troubled kids that's why they're in placement. I know that woman from Bennington School and that was very unfortunate but Bennington School takes the worst of the worst kids and very unfortunate incidents like that may happen but are very rare and the kid is now in jail for his crimes. Third you refer to the Bennington School kid as "Good law abiding Benn School student" Hmm never said that either. One thing you do know how to do is misquote and add comments never said. Countless hrs that police look for them, well that is part of their job. Local predators that feed them booze and drugs then sexually molest them? WOW you do have inside info don't you? Proof read your comments before you post them that's ridiculous
How am I not surprised that the truth is ridiculous to you, shame shame...
long time res

Brookline, MA

#19 Jan 28, 2010
Actually I do have experience with these children. I actually lived next door to 204 and these kids were literally in my back yard. Never ever once had a problem with any of them. My family member worked at BSI when I was a child and I spent most of my vacation time there. Never had any problems. Once one graduated from the program and stayed with my family for a short transition period and still no problems. I worked at a local thrift shop and had many of the young men at 204 come up and do some community service there. They were the hardest workers of them all and would do anything asked of them. These programs are implace to help correct the bad behavior that the children have displayed. Criminal charges or not I dont think I can think of any one whos not a friend to some one who has been on probation or in jail. Especially in bennington vt. So what makes these kids any different? Everyone makes mistakes.
Teach the children

Bennington, VT

#20 Jan 28, 2010
stihlworker wrote:
It's a good thing that stihlworker doesn't work in a placement like 204. Just think to all the messed up things he or she would put into their minds! Just another "Not In My Back Yard" person I guess

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Bennington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Frustrated (Nov '13) Wed kiel da spunje 139
Poll What type of town is Bennington (Sep '13) Wed kiel da spunje 329
21 Countries (Dec '15) Wed kiel da spunje 49
News Police: Man masturbating on the side of road Wed kiel da spunje 12
boycott the usps Jul 25 Dr Pendyke 2
News Drugs and a large weapons cache seized Jul 17 wut thuh fark 2
News 6 involved in Bennington head-on collision Jul 17 markey fife 4

North Bennington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance