Milo Academy faces lawsuit o...

Milo Academy faces lawsuit o...

There are 93 comments on the The News-Review story from Oct 31, 2008, titled Milo Academy faces lawsuit o.... In it, The News-Review reports that:

A lawsuit has been filed against the Milo Adventist Academy over allegations that a woman who served as an assistant coach, instructor and choir leader at the Days Creek-area boarding school sexually abused a ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The News-Review.

Michelle

Cleveland, OH

#61 Jan 11, 2010
Look from the outside:

What a terrible thing to say.

Milo student, you know what was really special to me? Watching an old guy masturbate in the school van on my way to a doctor's appointment.

You know I offered to settle for an extremely small amount, a year's counseling? The church probably spent a million dollars in my case, where I would have settled for a mere four digit number, not even paid out to me at the very beginning. I just wanted counseling.

You guys are devoid of any compassion. I can never understand that. It's so senseless.

And the church pissed other victims off, people who had publicly said they would never sue. Pissed them off so badly that when I settled I knew they'd take over where I left off. The church treated these people like liars in the deposition room where they were simply telling the truth. This after recommending a repeat rapist to babysit their little baby.

You act so righteous but you funded all of it with your tithe money and now treat myself, Elisabeth, and this girl like trash. So Christian and loving. You may as well have sadistically sodomized me yourself.
Michelle

Cleveland, OH

#62 Jan 11, 2010
To the girl who was abused at milo,

I'm so sorry if you are reading this. I know I read everything having to do with my case so I figure you're reading this and hurting. I think of you often, and hope you're okay. Please don't listen to what they're saying. What you're doing is very brave. I want you to be safe, and heal. Thanks for doing this.

This was NOT your fault. ABSOLUTELY NOT. This should never have happened to you. I'm behind you. Please, number one priority right now is NOT dragging yourself through this. Go take a bubble bath or do something you really love. You deserve THAT not this crap.

Kelly always told me, "what they think of you is none of your business." Now I get to say it to you, and I'm sure Kelly is too.
Look from the outside

College Place, WA

#63 Jan 20, 2010
Michelle
I am sorry that this makes you so mad, but look at the facts so far. If I were a parent I would want the perpetrator off the streets!!! I would never want any one else to get hurt, that would be facilitating the behavior and saying its alright.If I just go after some one that has money rather than keep my kid safe what does that say.
But as you can see they are only going after the church and for money, and they (the parents) have done it before, to get there way, or to get money. That should tell you something!
You think that I am "devoid of any compassion" sorry you feel that way. I am glad your case went a different way.And you were able to prove what you need to.
As for the church it's made up of people that make mistakes, we all do, who doesn't But you also have to realize that lawyers have duties is to represent there client, and they will lie (News release) and miss represent others to make there client look good.
I really wish every one would tell the truth..can you see how great the Government would be if they always spoke the truth...or the police or friends...lawyers....ect.
Oh, and thank goodness for freedom of speech so you can accuse me of being a online perpetrator to you. I sorry you are so hurt that you feel its OK to try and hurt others with your words.
So look at the facts so far.. there after money not justice. and that is not right!!

Look from the outside you will see it.
Michelle

Cleveland, OH

#64 Jan 22, 2010
I did not go after Scott in my case. I went after the church.

The reason I did that, is, as MY LAWYER Kelly Clark said in a news release that the people who ought to be held responsible is not the wolf, but the people who put the wolf in with the lambs.

Apology not accepted "Devoid of any compassion." You're sorry I feel the way I do, and express sorrow that I think and feel you're a cruel person. Any idea why I think you're mean? Could it be that you're attacking victims? And you're too cowardly to use your real name. Why is that? Do you not want your words accompanied with your face?

Kelly has made a whole bunch of mistakes in his life. Having spent hours and hours discussing SDA abuse with him, I can say that lying about abuse is not one of his flaws. He wouldn't take a case if he thought the plaintiff was lying.

He can take any case he wants. Why would he do that?

And where the hell did I accuse you of being a perp?
Michelle

Cleveland, OH

#65 Jan 22, 2010
To add to this,

I love Kelly. He's a dear mentor, and he helped me alot. Kelly helped me at his own expense and the church raped me and told me it was my fault. Now why do you think I'd be pissed off at church people attacking Kelly and saying he's after money and lying?

I'm not on the outside, nor do I pretend to be. I'm right in the middle of it. I'm very prejudiced. Wouldn't you be?

You're not on the outside either Devoid of Any Compassion.
Michelle

Cleveland, OH

#66 Jan 22, 2010
Damn it, now I'm feeling horrible for you, and I don't want to. Look, I figure you're a young college kid who loved Milo and who has his/her life wrapped up in the SDA church, like I used to.

When I first heard that the pastors knew about Scott I called up the Oregon Conference to prove the accusation wrong. Even after I heard from one of the pastors mouths that there had been an investigation that I hadn't known about, and it was strongly emphasized that it was before my abuse, not the one in 1994, I still protected the church. It took me 6 years to let myself really feel the betrayal, nearly a decade to sue. I guess that's where you are.

This whole thing is so evil, so corrupt, and ignorance is not faith, it is just ignorance and blindness. You collude in your ignorance.

Adventism is more than a religion, it is a culture. To turn one's back on a beloved culture is cataclysmic. It was for me.
Michelle

Cleveland, OH

#67 Jan 22, 2010
I thought I had been the only one in the SDA church who had been abused by Scott. I had absolutely no idea about all the coverups. I used to have Mr. Sequeira read one of the pastor's missionary letters in front of the class, when my brother went to live with him in Sri Lanka, in front of others, others who knew about the coverup and were abused and whose parents had sued. As soon as I found out about this pastor, it all came back to me, how I'd done that. How my flamboyant pride of my family's friends had hurt others I love.

It was devastating to find out how many of my loved ones were hurt. Just devastating. Because we were all like a family! I loved everyone, and this whole thing...it's devastated me. I will never forgive myself for how many people I love were raped by Scott.
Michelle

Cleveland, OH

#69 Jan 22, 2010
Okay, the embedding didn't work. Here's the link. If you really want to look from the outside, you'll listen from all sides.

Elizabeth

Hallett, Australia

#70 Jan 27, 2010
Michelle wrote:
Look from the outside:
What a terrible thing to say.
Milo student, you know what was really special to me? Watching an old guy masturbate in the school van on my way to a doctor's appointment.
You know I offered to settle for an extremely small amount, a year's counseling? The church probably spent a million dollars in my case, where I would have settled for a mere four digit number, not even paid out to me at the very beginning. I just wanted counseling.
don't worry honey they will get their just deserts one day, you hang in there!
You guys are devoid of any compassion. I can never understand that. It's so senseless.
And the church pissed other victims off, people who had publicly said they would never sue. Pissed them off so badly that when I settled I knew they'd take over where I left off. The church treated these people like liars in the deposition room where they were simply telling the truth. This after recommending a repeat rapist to babysit their little baby.
You act so righteous but you funded all of it with your tithe money and now treat myself, Elisabeth, and this girl like trash. So Christian and loving. You may as well have sadistically sodomized me yourself.
Don't worry Honey those with hearts of stone and pathological liars will get their just desserts one day,
hang in there!
Elizabeth

Hallett, Australia

#71 Jan 27, 2010
Look from the outside wrote:
Michelle
I am sorry that this makes you so mad, but look at the facts so far. If I were a parent I would want the perpetrator off the streets!!! I would never want any one else to get hurt, that would be facilitating the behavior and saying its alright.If I just go after some one that has money rather than keep my kid safe what does that say.
But as you can see they are only going after the church and for money, and they (the parents) have done it before, to get there way, or to get money. That should tell you something!
You think that I am "devoid of any compassion" sorry you feel that way. I am glad your case went a different way.And you were able to prove what you need to.
As for the church it's made up of people that make mistakes, we all do, who doesn't But you also have to realize that lawyers have duties is to represent there client, and they will lie (News release) and miss represent others to make there client look good.
I really wish every one would tell the truth..can you see how great the Government would be if they always spoke the truth...or the police or friends...lawyers....ect.
Oh, and thank goodness for freedom of speech so you can accuse me of being a online perpetrator to you. I sorry you are so hurt that you feel its OK to try and hurt others with your words.
So look at the facts so far.. there after money not justice. and that is not right!!
Look from the outside you will see it.
come on then spill the beans don't just set a fire and run tell us about this girls 'evil' parents who have 'done this before''for money'

It's actually very very expensive to recover from abuse.
I'm sure a peinis for a brain like scott pscyopath Harrison,or Pastor Fergersons Son or pator Pumfords son don't have two dimes to rub together.
Sueing an organisation that puts themselves out their as having a duty of care to those it provides for is mearly a pragmatic response from the victims, I'm not sure why people take it so personally.

Anyway they (the church) are learning slowly they didn't treat me like fifth like the did Michelle. If I had known about Michelle three or more years ago I would have dropped leaflets on every carpark in every SDA church on the Austrlian and North American contitnet till someone with some moral and ethical courgace and some balls sat up and listened.
Abuse happens YES lets not deny that, cover-up and blamming the victim and pathological lying, and hiding evidience is never acceptable not now or 30 yrs ago.
Those are the issues that sadly have made it necessary to bring the church to their knees.(where they should have been in the first place, not fighting over non-issues like imaginary tents pitched in the sky etc...)
Bryan

Glendale, OR

#72 May 10, 2010
I'm so very sorry for all the horrific acts that have been perpetrated upon you Michelle. I hope you were able to put away this individual where he can not hurt anyone else. The Christian community can be very cruel indeed, I've seen it first hand all my life. That's because we're all damaged goods, sinful human beings in need of a saviour. I pray your receiving the help you so richly deserve and have found closer in your case. I know life is to short to hold grudges and harbor anger... it only hurts you. God bless you on your journey through healing towards forgiveness.
Look from the outside

College Place, WA

#73 May 24, 2010
Bryan you hit the nail on the head by saying .."I hope you were able to put away this individual where he can not hurt anyone else" This is the point, put them away..... That was the point I was trying to make.If the perpetrator has "have two dimes to rub together" or not does not matter, IF you don't put him or her away!!!! is the point. You have to go after the person for the CRIME not just go after the money. THIS case is after the money not the perpetrator.

It looks like the person is let free to hurt others ( If they are guilty.... I don't think a court has determined that... because no one is trying to stop the PERSON!!!)
That is a problem in our world today is like the movie " SHOW ME THE MONEY " That seams to be all most people are interested in.

You could get lots of money from any church or organization ( and lots of people have, some claims were true and some were not ) but if you don't stop the person at fault.... then they are only in it for the money.
Bryan

Glendale, OR

#74 Jun 2, 2010
I just found this article and thought it might shed some light on the sinister world of sexual abuse and the lies that people tell to cover them up.
Milo Academy Menace Nabbed in California
By Steve Duin, The Oregonian
May 24, 2010, 9:10AM
Jodee Jackson, the deputy district attorney in Douglas County, called Monday morning to tell me she's true to her word:
Tyler Lambie, who has been thumbing his nose at a 2007 Douglas County arrest warrant for the last three years, has been picked up in Kings County, Calif., and will be returned to Roseburg to face charges on five counts of misdemeanor sexual abuse at Milo Adventist Academy.
As I wrote in two columns earlier this month -- "A safe nest for a wounded bird" and "The long road home from Milo Academy" -- Lambie was arrested in 2006 and charged with molesting two 17-year-old girls at the Seventh Day Adventist boarding school 17 miles east of Canyonville.
When Lambie -- the 28-year-old son of faculty members at the school -- failed to show up for a court hearing, Douglas County issued the arrest warrant. Not until Jackson got the case file, however, did the DA's office show much interested in locating Lambie and bringing him back to face charges.
"I've got the case now. He's not going to get away with it," Jackson promised three weeks ago.
Jackson said Lambie might not arrive in Roseburg until next week: "I'm going to argue they set a high bail, based on him not being here for awhile."
Lambie is not the only child of Milo Academy faculty who has been charged with sexually abusing students at the school. In the fall of 2009, Ellen Andrieux, 20, was charged with eight counts of second-degree sex abuse and contributing to the sexual delinquency of a minor. One of the abused students is suing the school, a case that has a September trial date.
Former Milo Student

College Place, WA

#75 Jun 7, 2010
Bryan wrote:
I just found this article and thought it might shed some light on the sinister world of sexual abuse and the lies that people tell to cover them up.
Milo Academy Menace Nabbed in California
By Steve Duin, The Oregonian
May 24, 2010, 9:10AM
Jodee Jackson, the deputy district attorney in Douglas County, called Monday morning to tell me she's true to her word:
Tyler Lambie, who has been thumbing his nose at a 2007 Douglas County arrest warrant for the last three years, has been picked up in Kings County, Calif., and will be returned to Roseburg to face charges on five counts of misdemeanor sexual abuse at Milo Adventist Academy.
As I wrote in two columns earlier this month -- "A safe nest for a wounded bird" and "The long road home from Milo Academy" -- Lambie was arrested in 2006 and charged with molesting two 17-year-old girls at the Seventh Day Adventist boarding school 17 miles east of Canyonville.
When Lambie -- the 28-year-old son of faculty members at the school -- failed to show up for a court hearing, Douglas County issued the arrest warrant. Not until Jackson got the case file, however, did the DA's office show much interested in locating Lambie and bringing him back to face charges.
"I've got the case now. He's not going to get away with it," Jackson promised three weeks ago.
Jackson said Lambie might not arrive in Roseburg until next week: "I'm going to argue they set a high bail, based on him not being here for awhile."
Lambie is not the only child of Milo Academy faculty who has been charged with sexually abusing students at the school. In the fall of 2009, Ellen Andrieux, 20, was charged with eight counts of second-degree sex abuse and contributing to the sexual delinquency of a minor. One of the abused students is suing the school, a case that has a September trial date.
The facts here are different though. For one, Ellen was never charged with any crime.There was an investigation that was dropped after the all involved told the police that accusations were absolutely false, and all based on a rumor. In fact the "victim" has repeatedly apologized to Ellen and people at Milo for the actions of her parents. Milo's insurance company handled the case and settled it out of court, but it was very clear based on police evidence and other factors, including the "victims" own testimony that Ellen would not have been found at fault in any way by a jury or judge. Added on to this is the fact that this the second or third time that the "victim's" family has brought a money suit, not criminal charges, against an organization. There is more than enough evidence just on character witnesses speeches that would have exonerated Ellen. She is one of the most beautiful people you will ever meet. Period.

I know above all Michelle that we must look to comfort the victims in cases. that is first and foremost. But did you ever go to your abuser, his family, and the church and say "Actually it never happened. My parents are doing this without my support?" Because this is what this girl did. Not too mention every single person close to the case has said that it was most definitely started by rumors.
On the other side we also need to look at the accused and see if it is possible they might be innocent. Because as shameful as it is, and disgraceful to people such as Michelle, sexual misconduct accusations turn out to be the leaders in false accusation. This is due to the fact that we as a society are very serious about sexual crimes, so we use these accusation against people we want to get in trouble because it becomes a "she said/she said" situation in which anything goes. BUT of course in the case of Ellen this is irrelevant due to the fact that the "She said/She said." stories match-up to say that Ellen did nothing. Absolutely nothing.

And by the way I am no longer a member of the church and Milo is not my favorite place in the world. But I do know this case and Ellen deserves none of what she is getting.
Kate

Littleton, CO

#76 Jun 16, 2010
Did Scott ever get jail time?
Michelle wrote:
Hello. My name is Michelle Stevenson and I recently settled a lawsuit as I was raped in my church by a known pedophile.
What happened in my case was a young man named Scott Harrison was caught molesting children in Gig Harbor, Washington. In order to keep him out of trouble his parents sent him to his grandparents in Salem, Oregon. His grandparents, hoping to raise Scott as a son (Scott was only 15 at the time) went to Pastors David Schmidt and Gary Gantz for help. They shared with them about the accusations and juvenile court mandate. Schmidt and Gantz took Scott under their wing. They hired him as a babysitter for an evangelical meeting, he taught me sign language, the pastors gave his name out as an excellent babysitter. He went to Pathfinders, as did my whole family--my father was the Pathfinder leader and my mother was a counselor. Scott was a Junior Counselor and Junior Deacon.
In 1993 a little boy said Scott was touching him. There was an investigation. The pastors had a meeting with the parents of two victims of Scott (the victims were ages 1 year and 3 years) and admitted knowing all along about the juvenile court mandate.
They promised the parents that Scott would not be allowed near children anymore. It was around this time that Scott sadistically raped me, a seven-year old, in the church sanctuary and all around the church (the church library, the Earli-teen room, the side rooms to the family room).
The pastors didn't keep their promise to the parents and instead gave a glowing recommendation for Scott to work at the Oregon Blind School. When Scott was finally caught red-handed sadistically raping an autistic, blind, otherwise severely disabled child, he confessed to 21 children. He still didn't pass lie detector tests. One law enforcement officer hypothesized that there were closer to 40 or 50 victims in the 2, 3 years Scott raped children in Salem, Oregon. He didn't confess to me.
When I, a scared 16-year old tried to go to the Oregon Conference for help I was told the abuse was my fault because I shouldn't have been walking around. I continued begging them for help for 6 years--while I was homeless, while I was in an abusive relationship, while I was deeply struggling, alone, and spiritually broken. I didn't sue until I was 23, under extreme duress.
How this has hurt me and drastically changed my life! The pastors who protected Scott, they were dear friends of the family. When my parents realized the depth of their duplicity they wept and wept. I love them and hate them and have been scarred by them more than I can ever describe.
I also went to Milo. I know the Haley's. I have no right to judge them, or the Bovee's whom I also know. I know nothing about this situation. I doubt any of you do either. The ones who do know something are told by various lawyers to be quiet, keep a stiff upper lip. I've been there.
Keep in mind you are slinging mud at real people here. I remember all too well how I wept when I read at clubadventist how "hello! why didn't this girl scream out????) Oh, people. I did scream out! Scott covered my mouth and I passed out.
Sometimes, still, when my wonderful, gentle husband tries to have sex with me, I have flashbacks and think it is Scott again.
Where is the love in this forum? I am embarrassed to have connections to any of you. Shame on you! Let this girl be. She is precious, she deserves respect. If ever there were a time to be silent and admit your own lack of knowledge, now is the time!!!!!
We know nothing, and if you do know something, trust me, the investigators will come to you. They did to every single person who was remotely connected to Scott or I.
Shame on you. I am disgusted. I am glad to shake you from my feet.
Michelle

Quetzaltenango, Guatemala

#77 Jun 19, 2010
Hi,

I just read about who is accused. I'm in the middle of a cafe and started crying. She was a little girl when I went to school. I don't know what to say here, except that I'm genuinely just sitting here crying. Mr. Andrieux was always kind to me during my school year.

I stand next to the young victim. Always she is in my heart. I just want to sit down and cry for a long time. I am so sorry for what this person has gone through. The reason I do this Former Milo Student is that when Scott admitted to abusing kids, a bunch of them denied it ever happened. My experience with the church is that they will cover things up and pretend it never happened. They did everything they possibly could to shut me up, including threatening with me a lawsuit and telling me it was all my fault and telling me I wasn't spiritual because I was hurting. I am skeptical that you are hearing the truth, and because of my experience, I will always defend the victim until it is proven that nothing happened. I KNOW Kelly won't take cases where he doesn't believe anything happened. He's specifically sent people away when he thought they were lying. I trust him far, far more than I trust the "mealy-mouthed ministers" or anonymous messengers.

Please Former Milo Student, you are reasonable here, and I'm listening. If I'm proven wrong here then I'll come back here and stand for Ellen. I'm not doing this to hurt this person I remember as a little girl and just wanted to protect in my school year, I'm doing this to stand for a victim, where nobody stood for me. Children NEED to be protected. The church has failed miserably protecting myself and my childhood peers. I trust nothing from the church or those who protect the church. The Adventist church is about as close to God as I am to Pluto, and the lies they tell are sickening.

I know of the other boy but have never met him.

Yes Katie. Scott got jail time. He was tried as an adult and got 5 years in the Salem mental hospital from what I understand. He is still in probation, but he isn't following it. He got a job at Learning Center on Lancaster in Salem in about 2003, and was fired after being outed by one of the victim's sister. He had also insinuated himself into PFLAGG, calling himself Malik. He was outed by the same person and banned from meetings and activities to my understanding. He is not supposed to be near children. I saw him at all my regular hangout spots in 2001 which caused me to run away from home. I hadn't told my parents. I talked to a friend about it at the time because I thought I'd been seeing things. She'd seen him around too and had been keeping it from me to stop me from having a nervous breakdown. The guy is terrible, a sadistic rapist who targets autistic and blind children.
Michelle

#78 Jun 19, 2010
There are criminal charges against Ellen now. Those don't happen over nothing. It is hardest to hear bad things about people you love. Everybody LOVED Scott. I would never have dreamed this of Ellen, but I know from sad experience that it is possible. I work at a domestic violence shelter where I am. You always hear the women defending the men who beat them to a pulp, etc.

"Oh, they're the best husband" while wincing from overmuch movements from the pulp that is their face.

Sorry, I'm skeptical, dulcita.

And most of their kids are raped, as it happens.
The facts

Glendale, OR

#79 Jun 25, 2010
Former Milo Student, You may be surprised to know that the lawsuit with Milo as pertains to Ellen, IS still ongoing. No settlement has been made. You might also be interested in knowing that there was also a criminal case against in regards to another former student of Milo Academy which was recently finalized. She is currently serving time in the Douglas County Jail and when released will be on probation for 5 years and will have to register as a sex offender. Admission of guilt is not presumption nor theory. It is fact with overwhelming evidence proving itself. No jury was needed. I'm truly sorry that you trusted this woman so much and it is tragic that someone can lie and manipulate so well but that is what predators do best.

Copy and paste the following link into your browser if you care to see the truth!:

http://www.dcso.com/inmates_in_custody_detail...
Michelle

#80 Jun 26, 2010
The facts,

Again, in tears. I hope if the young woman abused in this instance sees people standing for her she will take heart. There are those of us who are with her and understand! Thank you for posting this here. I know nothing of the case, just what is in the papers. Kelly would be a bad lawyer if he told me anything about what is going on, and I would never ask. We also haven't talked since the church told me they "don't talk to people who sue" them.(And yes, that was the day my last shred of hope for the church went the way of the passenger pigeons. I'm pretty sure they would call the police if I were to show up at any Adventist church, where Dayton Leroy Rogers is still a member and gets lots of their attention and time. They only believe in healing and redemption when it makes them look good.)
Michelle

#81 Jun 27, 2010
Okay. Roster from a Walla Walla College Friendship Tournament.

http://www.wallawalla.edu/fileadmin/user_uplo...

Clearly, according to this roster, Ellen was an "A. Coach". But I'm going to sign off indefinitely now. This is taking it's toll.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Bend Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Coos Bay teacher arrested for sexual abuse of s... Sep 16 We hate coos bay ... 1
News Coos Co. deputies make arrest in search for mis... (Oct '14) Aug '17 We hate coos bay ... 3
News Authorities looking for hit-and-run suspect in ... (Oct '14) Aug '17 We hate coos bay ... 3
News Husband, wife awarded $4.5 million after failed... Aug '17 We hate coos bay ... 1
News Lynne would support Jordan Cove if elected Aug '17 We hate coos bay ... 1
A note to vicky thompson A.K.A. The gutter slut (Apr '15) Aug '17 We hate coos bay ... 3
News DeFazio to hold town hall Monday at Roseburg Hi... Aug '17 We hate coos bay ... 1

North Bend Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

North Bend Mortgages