Pregnant woman stabbed to death at L....

Pregnant woman stabbed to death at L.I. homeless shelter -

There are 177 comments on the Newsday story from Sep 8, 2007, titled Pregnant woman stabbed to death at L.I. homeless shelter -. In it, Newsday reports that:

Shantelle Scruggs, 21, was arraigned Saturday on manslaughter charges in the killing of Barbara Santos, 26.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
peaches

United States

#274 Sep 11, 2007
I've worked in a homeless shelter and the people are not always poorly raised. Sometimes they are headstrong youth who don't want to listen to family members. Sometimes they are running from valid problems. Sometimes they are burned out of their homes. It's very complex. You mentioned that knives should not be allowed in the place. It sounds like she used a kitchen knife. The police report said a small knife. I knew Shantelle from a previous shelter and she was angry and violent. She's probably been to quite a few shelters. They don't keep violent people around for long.
BYSTANDER

Englewood, OH

#275 Sep 11, 2007
This is a shame, a travesty on both sides

Shantelle, the accussed murderer, has twins and an unborn baby that will be left without a mother to love and raise those 3 kids

The victim and unborn baby are gone and she has kids that will suffer as well ...

Hope they get help !!!
Divided Nation

AOL

#276 Sep 11, 2007
Long Island,NY=Angry Society.
People,use your anger in a positive way instead of beating up on dead people on threads.Go and punch out a police cars window with the cop sitting in the vehicle.Impress me.
sowhat

Bangkok, Thailand

#277 Sep 12, 2007
BYSTANDER wrote:
This is a shame, a travesty on both sides
Shantelle, the accussed murderer, has twins and an unborn baby that will be left without a mother to love and raise those 3 kids
The victim and unborn baby are gone and she has kids that will suffer as well ...
Hope they get help !!!
The kids will be better off without the pos.
IMK

Binghamton, NY

#278 Sep 12, 2007
Shruggs' children need to be taken from her. It's pretty clear that she's unfit to live in normal society, let alone still retain custody of her children in it. Not just her unborn, but the twins as well. There are plenty of nonviolent infertile couples that would be willing to adopt a pair of 1 year old twins or a newborn. I know I'm stating the obvious, but for a pregnant woman to do what she did is shocking. This "woman" deserves life in prison.
IMK

Binghamton, NY

#279 Sep 12, 2007
tired of it wrote:
Pregnant, no money, in a shelter. I don't need to read nor do I care about the death.
Are you serious? What kind of sick monster are you? I don't care if victim was homeless; that's not the fault of the dead baby that its mother was homeless. Holy crap, what is wrong with you people?
IMK

Binghamton, NY

#280 Sep 12, 2007
And btw, I'm glad to be off LI. Being taxed to death to live in a community of a-holes, conceited, envious, self-centered misanthropes and golddiggers is no place to settle down and raise a family. I'll miss the great times I had growing up, but the place is falling apart. It kind of reminds me of the people who lived in Manhattan during the 1980's (esp. since many of them fled to LI during that decade): you could be lying on the sidewalk bleeding to death from a car accident or mugging, and people would just walk over you. I'm not saying that everyone should be a bleeding heart hippie liberal; but this is a sign that many of the denizens of LI have few morals, values and character. Going to church every week isn't enough. The majority of people on LI simply have no humanity. Either that, or they're too busy working too many hours and have become jaded because they spend more than 35% of their income on overpriced housing. Either way, there's something really wrong with the people there.

Good luck to the people living there and the ones moving in. You might need it given how segregated many neighborhoods there are. But at least you'll still enjoy the convenience of living near the city and beautiful (if overcrowded) beaches. I miss those greatly, but I have my heart set on (and plans to be in) San Diego. I can't wait until I'm done with school. Binghamton is like the anti-LI: the people are nice, but the whole area is a dump.
Her Cousin

Weehawken, NJ

#284 Sep 14, 2007
You People have problems just because she was in a shelter its ok to be killed are you kidding me. No Babara was not poorly raised the reason she was in there was because someone fukked her over with a home they took her money and left. I dont think that all you people talking shiit should be you have no idea what your talking about. Would you people be saying all this crap if that was your cousin or better yet sister? I dont think you would.Juniper From Flushing, NY has no idea what his talking about... enough from White Plains, NY your an asshole how can you wish death on anyone.God didnt put us on earth to act like this. It was not her time to go and baby Nathaniel didnt even have a chance in life and all you people are glad i hope you guys get help and i hope it never happens to you, you heartless people.
Her Cousin

Weehawken, NJ

#286 Sep 15, 2007
We didnt even know that she was in a shelter the only thing she told us is that there was someone that she was always arguing with where she lives that could mean a roommate. I wish we did know but since you dont know anything you shouldnt call people fukked up okay Susan talk what you know about and the only people i was calling fukked up was the people that are saying its good for her and its free abortion thats a baby that was going to be born any day now like i said before he didnt even have a chance in life and everyone is glad for that.Thats wrong!!!
susan

Brooklyn, NY

#287 Sep 15, 2007
Her Cousin
it's definetly wrong when people say terrible things about your cousin. I originally posted that the savage who killed your cousin should rot in jail. I also feel terrible for the unborn baby-didn't any of your cousin's family know that she was in a shelter? Couldn't anyone have helped her? There must have been someone. Sorry your cousin and the baby met with such an awful fate.
Her Cousin

Middle Island, NY

#288 Sep 17, 2007
Thanks a lot well she was suppose to get an appartment but the person she gave the down payment to giped her and left town.
Kharma

AOL

#289 Sep 17, 2007
im not saying that it good that she died or anything but all I have to say is that its Kharma... Her brother is sitting in jail right now cause he stabbed someone and almost killed them...

Im sorry to have all that hurt in this situation but think about it this way that family is hurting but because of people in that family other people hurt as well so if we are going to say that the woman who killed her should rot in jail shouldnt her brother as well?
Toast is Awesome

Milford, CT

#290 Sep 17, 2007
Her Cousin wrote:
We didnt even know that she was in a shelter the only thing she told us is that there was someone that she was always arguing with where she lives that could mean a roommate. I wish we did know but since you dont know anything you shouldnt call people fukked up okay Susan talk what you know about and the only people i was calling fukked up was the people that are saying its good for her and its free abortion thats a baby that was going to be born any day now like i said before he didnt even have a chance in life and everyone is glad for that.Thats wrong!!!
That is one crazy long run-on sentence!
susan

Brooklyn, NY

#291 Sep 17, 2007
Her cousin
the person who took her down payment and left down will get theirs-you may never know but they will. Again-I am sorry.
laura

Salisbury, MD

#292 Sep 19, 2007
Her Cousin wrote:
NOT everyone feels that way, I am truly sorry about your cousin, and her baby. I just hope her other children are okay.
jane doe

United States

#294 Oct 31, 2007
I think it's very sad that there's so much hatred, aggression and violence in our community today. Counseling is necessary in every shelter and every individual accepted into a shelter should be screened and given required mental heealth services.This fatality could have been prevented.
An American

Pelham, NY

#295 Nov 2, 2007
jane doe wrote:
I think it's very sad that there's so much hatred, aggression and violence in our community today. Counseling is necessary in every shelter and every individual accepted into a shelter should be screened and given required mental heealth services.This fatality could have been prevented.
Keep living in brooklyn babe!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Bay Shore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 3 hr Bruser 2,823
Joseph Nicols D.D. S. *** STAY CLEAR OF HIM *** (Jul '09) 16 hr Severe Pain 29
What Needs to Change in Lindenhurst (Jun '08) Dec 12 Patricia Kaplan 249
The loud music is out control in Brentwood (Aug '14) Dec 11 Delonte 11
Memories Of Old Ronkonkoma (Jul '09) Dec 11 Jayar 127
News 1 pedestrian dead, another hurt in separate acc... Dec 10 Douglas santafe 2
News 41 undocumented immigrants arrested in NY amid ... (Feb '17) Dec 10 Steve Levy 26

North Bay Shore Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

North Bay Shore Mortgages